Fan Fiction ❯ For Layann ❯ The Scarf ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
Title: For Layann
Author: Makiko Igami
Summary: I suck at describing my feelings. But I am able to write. And thus I wrote down what I was thinking on my way home tonight. (2003/11/25)

________________________________________________________________________

I'm sitting here, on the train, earplugs of my walkman tugged securely in my ears, volume set to its peak. It's a slow song I'm listening to, soft guitar chords filling my head, a rasping male voice caressing my senses. It blends out the sounds of my surroundings while I imagine you're here with me.

I am lonely.

I want you to come in at the next station, seeing me sitting here, waiting for you to come to me and kiss me awake.

I'm half-dreaming that it's happening that way, but to my own dismay I know too well that it isn't.

I stare out of the window across from me, not really seeing what is rushing by as I get entranced by the music. It's your favorite song I'm hearing now, coming right after one of mine on this tape. The combination never fails to touch my heart, tearing on it and making my breathing shallower. I feel like I am about to cry here and now, in front of all these strangers around me as I don't care the slightest bit what they might be thinking, overwhelmed by all these feelings that take my breath away as I think about you. Maybe I do, but only because I'm that slightly sadistic, wanting to make them think I lost something precious to me. But quite the opposite is the case.

From all the stuff I'm wearing, somehow the only weight that I feel on me is the scarf that you gave me when I lost mine. This one's not mine, never will be, but I keep it with me, so that I'll never be alone, that you're always with me.

The scarf is vigorously colored, looking like a dark rainbow to me. It looks old and worn and it's rough against my neck, but I can't mind. It's just like you. Not the most perfect or most beautiful one, but special. I've seen others alike, but none of them was as unique as this one.

I also liked my old scarf, it was my favorite color, but somehow I don't mind the loss of it... I've gotten a better one instead, one that'll make me feel like you're with me all the time, wrapped around me, holding me tight everywhere I go. It's making me miss you more and more with every passing moment, but I feel you close to me all the time as well... If only you were here now...

The train stops and pulls me harshly out of my reverie as it's the station where I have to get off.

I wrap the scarf tighter around me, using it to shield me against the cold that tries to creep into me the moment I step outside, imagining that you're warming my hand with yours as I make the final steps home, thinking all this over, trying to find a way to tell you what I feel for you, that I never thought I would be able to have these intense feelings inside of me... for anything or anyone.

I love your scarf. I smile as I hug it before I take it off at home.

From now on I'll definitely take better care of scarves.