Fan Fiction ❯ Guardian Angel ❯ I ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Guardian Angel -ch1
 
 
The sky was bright and sunny on that Sunday morning. The little girl stood by her parents as they talked with some friends. Her younger brother slept peacefully in her mother's arms while her older brother ran around with the other boys. They all had disregarded his church jacket and shoes as soon as possible.
 
 
The little girl had gotten impatient with her parents. Her brother was having fun and she wanted to too. Not that she would play with them! Those boys were too dirty! The little girl decided to play with the sidewalk again. She loved the old church's sidewalk. It was always so much fun to jump over all the cracks. The little girl jumped down the sidewalk, her arms out spread for balance, her orange hair bouncing with her jumps. She hummed all the while, a strange non-existent song that children make up, the sun filtering through the trees and playing on her dress.
 
 
She hopped down the three-line walk until she felt someone watching her. She stopped and looked away from the road toward the church courtyard. The little girl slowly turned and faced the man that was staring her down. His cold eyes seems to stare at the little girl completely silent yet there seem and air of sadness around him. The little girl smiled at him and skipped down the stone path to him.
 
 
The statue sat on a pedestal. His legs were crossed and his hands rested on his knees. His great wings curved over his legs and shielded his face from view. His pedestal was chipped and covered with moss and other plants. Creepers had started to wind their way around his torso, and the stone he was constructed of was wind washed and aged.
 
 
“You poor thing no one takes care of you do they?” said the little orange haired girl tilting her head to the side with her hands on her hips.
 
 
The angel continued to stare straight ahead over the little girl's head.
 
 
The girl smiled and scrambled right into the statue's lap. Looking up at his face she said, “Hi I'm Kaci! Which angel are you?”
 
 
Nothing.
 
 
“Well…” the girl said with a girlish drawl, “You're not Michael `cause you don't have armor… you not…” She continued to list angels, swinging her legs in a carefree sort of way as if she was talking to an old friend.
 
 
“Tyreal…” said a thin airy, powerful voice that started as a whisper and increase in power.
 
 
Kaci cranked her head back and smiled up at Tyreal's Chin. The voice didn't frighten the girl for she was loving and attentive. To a passerby it seemed as though a little girl had created an imaginary friend.
 
 
Kaci jabbered on to Tyreal about the things that are important to a little girl; her brothers, her pets, and her home. All the while Tyreal remained silent, listening like a person inexperienced with dealing with children. He was a little uncomfortable and shocked at this little girl's directness. He was confused at how this girl spotted him but deep down was happy and comforted to be recognized by her.
 
 
“What about your own friends?” Tyreal's whispering voice asked. This question caused Kaci's legs to stop their swinging. She became very quiet and drew her shoulders together.
 
 
“I don't have friends.” She said very quietly while examining her toes.
 
 
The angel quickly regretted his question and the air surrounded him became cold and sorrowful. But this question that brought up images of being left out, watching her brothers and his friends play and never joining, could not keep down this little girl's enthusiasm.
 
 
“I'm sorry…” said Tyreal with a bit of uncertain, not really knowing what to say. Kaci just smile a big grin and look up a Tyreal.
 
 
“It's Ok! You're my friend now!” The angel was a little taken back and shocked at the girls accusations but did not get a chance to voice his opinions.
 
 
“Kaci, Mike! It's time to go!” called a seemly far away woman's voice, Kaci's mother. Kaci quickly leaped from the angels' lap landing in a squatted position with her arms outspread and her nose coming fearfully close to the cracked pavement. She pivoted on her toes and look up at Tyreal with a big content smile.
 
 
“I have to go now Bye!” with that, Kaci turned and hurried back to the sidewalk. Upon reaching it turned and called to her new friend, her first, “I'll see you next Sunday!” And with that she disappeared from Tyreal's view, the little girl lost among the courtyard trees.
 
 
True to her word the little girl came to visit her new friend, telling him of her hopes, dreams, family, and her loneliness. Tyreal began to like her visits and wait in anticipation for their next meeting. He loved to watch her grow up. 5th, 6th, 7th grade all passes and the girl was in her last year of “middle school” as Kaci called it. The little girl he had once known was becoming a young woman and entering her teenage years.
 
 
Yet another Sunday came a beautiful, clear sunny day. The only thing that broke the clear stillness was the distance mummer of after mass talk and the yells of children playing. Kaci was sitting in his lap again, like every Sunday, swinging her legs in her carefree manner. Tyreal caught the sound of jingling metal and saw that she was wearing a bracelet. “Where did you get that?”
 
 
A smile lit up her face. She proudly held her wrist up for Tyreal to see. It was a beaded bracelet with a coin charm, which must have been what was jingling. “My friend gave it to me!” Kaci could feel the air around them cool down. She had learned to read Tyreal's feelings through the air around them.
 
 
Kaci smile faded in remembrance, fading in to a small curve in her mouth. Her eyes soften. “It's ok, this time it's different. They won't abandon me… Don't be so worried!” Tyreal relaxed and breathed. He couldn't help but worry for the girl's feelings. She had been hurt before, deeply scared by her “friends”.
 
 
“In fact,” Kaci said interrupting Tyreal's thoughts. “One of my new friends started going to our church!”
 
 
“Then what aren't you doing here?” His powerful voice said in a most playful manner. “Go have some fun with her.”
 
 
 
Kaci's smile lit up again and she jumped off his lap. “I think I'll do that!” She turned on her heels so he back was to him, her hands at her side. She dashed to the sidewalk, turned and waved then ran off back to the church to find her friend.
 
 
A/N I love this story, I was originally going to have it a one shot, ending right after Kaci leaves as a child, but my friends kept asking for more so I kept writing lol. Edited 4/24/05