Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of the Warrior ❯ The heart won't lie ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Cloud lifted one fine blond brow as she turned and walked out to the lobby, watching her tell Phil she'd done all she could, and it looked like he'd pull through, THIS time.

"Phil?"

The red-haired goat-man turned as he heard the Earth-woman's voice call his name.

"Yeah, what ya need?"

Diane looked down, then looked back up, looking straight into his eyes. "Is he going to live through the locking of the Heart of Worlds? Somehow I had this feeling Hercules wasn't telling me something when he explained Seph's situation. Please, be truthful with me."

Phil looked down, as well, cursing inwardly at the woman's intuitiveness. "No, he won't. I told Herc not ta tell ya, because I could see you were startin' ta like him, and I didn't want ya ta get hurt. I also wanted him to have some kind of enjoyment out of what time he's got left."

Diane swore quietly. "How could you do that? You know me fairly well by now, and you know I hate being coddled. You also know I hate being lied to. And why didn't HE tell me?"

"Because he didn't wanna hurt ya, either. He's beginning to like you, too."

Diane huffed and walked away, but as soon as she was out of sight, the tears came. She walked back to the room where Sephiroth had been taken after she patched him up, and seeing no one was there, laid next to him, placing her head on his chest. She sniffled as she just silently cried and listened to that precious thudding sound of that great heart beating, one that she knew would all too soon be stilled.