Fan Fiction ❯ Hinmo ki Shimo Volume 1 ❯ Part 2: The Move ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Volume I; Part 2: The Move
 
Settings: Nagasaki\and Kyoto, Japan
Summary: Mrs. Waka gets a job offer at Kyoto Universoty which she accepts.
P.O.V.'s: Naomi, Doujima and Katsumi
 
Nagasaki
Naomi's P.O.V.
 
A few days after Doujima moves in with us, she and I wake up at 9:15 to find my mother in the kitchen fixing breakfast. By that time, my father had left for work. My mother finishes the preparation and serves Doujima and me breakfast before getting her own. After a few bites, Doujima's head pops up and I hear her say, "Mrs. Waka, these eggs are delicious."
My mother responds, "Thank you for the compliment, Doujima. Your parents had raised you well."
My friend blushes a bit. "Any time. Yes, they had."
 
Doujima's P.O.V.
 
After the brief conversation with Mrs. Waka, I resume eating. My enjoyment of her scrumptious food is cut short a few minutes later as my head pops up. I find myself looking at Naomi. "Want to go shopping today?"
She answers, "Sure." I have to see if it's okay with my mom first."
"Okay."
She turns to her mother asking, "Mother, will you take Doujima and me shopping today?"
Her mother looks up replying, "Sure." She turns to me saying, "You need more summer clothes and undergarments, right?"
I respond, "Yes." The three of us finish our meal without another word. We exit the house at 10:30 arriving at the mall at 11:15. About two-and-a-half hours later, we head back to the car with two hundred dollars-worth of clothing in hand. We arrive home, at 14:30, where I take the tag off of every new article of clothing after getting to my room. After finishing that, I put all but the few I change into away.
 
Naomi's P.O.V.
 
A few days after the very expensive shopping excursion, my mother receives a call from Kyoto. After she finishes speaking with her correspondent, I approach her about the call asking, "What was the call about?"
She responds, "Principal Ebisui from Kyoto University. He called to notify me of an opening at my position."
"That sounds promising."
"It sure does. Your father will have to ask for a transfer to the Kyoto police department if I take the offer." The subject of conversation changes, and we talk for five more minutes. My mother calls Mr. Ebisui back three days later. Just after she hangs up, I walk into the kitchen. I look at her saying, "I see you called Mr. Ebisui back. What's the verdict?"
She answers, "I've accepted the offer. How did you know I called Mr. Ebisui back?"
"I accidentally picked up the phone and heard you say his name when I was hanging up."
"I'm very proud of you for immediately hanging up the phone when you found out I was using it."
I blush a bit. "When are we moving?"
"In about six weeks."
"Okay."
 
Doujima's P.O.V.
 
I walk into the kitchen just in time to hear Naomi say, "I'll go tell Doujima."
I freeze looking at her. "Tell me what?"
"We're moving to Kyoto."
"Kyoto, I have a cousin there. When did you first find out about the possibility of moving?"
"Cool. Three days ago. Mr. Ebisui, the principal of Kyoto University, called my mother to inform her of an opening in her field at the school. I never told you because I wanted to be sure we'd be moving."
"Okay. That takes care of my next question." Later that day, I call my cousin in Kyoto, Katsumi. She answers the phone saying, "Hello, this is the Matsuki residence. Whom am I speaking with?"
I respond, "Hey. It's your cousin, Doujima."
"Oh. Hi Doujima. Why are you calling from the Waka's?"
"My house burned down, and my parents were killed."
"That's not good. I'm glad the Waka's were nice enough to take you in. Who's idea was it for you to move in with them?"
"I know. It was Naomi's idea."
"You have a great friend in her."
My cheeks turn a light shade of pink. "I know."
"Why are you calling?"
"I'm calling to let you know that I'm moving to Kyoto with the Waka's."
"That's nice. Anything else?"
"As a matter of fact, yes. I'm wondering if I'll be able to move in with you."
"I think you'll be able to. Let me check with my parents though,"
"Okay." She puts down the phone walking away from it. She returns a minute later. I inquire, "What did they say?"
"They said you can."
"Sweet." We talk for five more minutes before exchanging good byes and hanging up.
 
Naomi's P.O.V.
 
As Doujima hangs up, I enter the kitchen walking over to her. "Who where you talking to?"
She answers, "My cousin, Katsumi, from Kyoto."
"Okay. Why'd you call her?"
"I called to tell her we're moving there. I also called to see if I can move in with her when we get there."
"That's good. Can you?"
"Yes."
"Looks like you have a home."
"It sure does."
 
Doujima's P.O.V.
 
After my talk with Naomi, I walk around the house looking for her mother to tell her about moving in with my cousin, Katsumi. I see her in the living room and walk over to her. She inquires, "What's wrong?"
I answer, "Nothing."
"Very well. What do you want to tell me?"
"I was just on the phone with my cousin, Katsumi Matsuki, from Kyoto. I told her we're moving there. I asked if I can move in with her."
"Sounds good. What did her parents say?"
"They said I can."
"Excellent."
 
Naomi's P.O.V.
 
That day, after my father gets home from work, my mother tells him about the move becoming official. He gets the transfer papers from his boss, Officer Aiko, and fills them out the next day. The next six weeks go past like normal except for packing during the last two. While we're packing, I confront my mother inquiring, "What time will we be leaving?"
She answers, "Unfortunately, your father and I haven't decided yet. However, I'll update you when we come to a decision."
"Okay." Everyone spends the next two days packing. I'm also anxiously awaiting my mother's answer. Just after I awaken, 10:00 to be exact, my mother approaches me prompting me to inquire, "What time are we departing?"
She responds, "7:45 this Saturday."
 
Doujima's P.O.V.
 
I exit the bathroom, after my shower, just in time to hear when we'll be leaving. Naomi offers, "I'll go tell Doujima."
I contradict her by saying, "There's no need. I just heard."
She turns facing me to say, "That's good. You should probably call, Katsumi."
"That's a good idea. I'll do that now."
"Okay." After a few more minutes, we go our separate ways. She goes outside, whereas I return to my room fetching my cell phone. Of course, I proceed to call my cousin. She picks up the phone saying, "Hey Doujima. How're you doing?"
"Hi. I'm fine. What about you?"
"Same."
I quickly change the subject. "I'm calling to let you know when we'll be leaving."
"Okay. When are you leaving?"
"We're leaving at 7:45 this Saturday."
"I'll tell my parents after we get done."
"That sounds good." The subject changes once more, and we talk for about ten more minutes.
 
Kyoto
Katsumi's P.O.V.
 
I hang up immediately heading for the family room. Upon arrival, I walk over to my mother who, unable to remember Doujima's cell number, inquires, "Who was that?"
I respond, "That was Doujima calling from her cell."
"Oh okay. What did she want?"
"She called to let us know when they'll be leaving. It's 7:45 this Saturday."
"They'll be here around noon. You should probably call her and tell her that it's a good time."
"You're right. I will." I walk back to my room and pick up the phone pushing the "redial" button. Doujima picks up asking, "Why are you calling back so soon?"
Matters of factually, I answer, "I just checked on the time of your arrival with my mother."
"What did she say?"
"She said it was a good time."
"Okay. See you Saturday."
"See you."
 
Nagasaki
Doujima's P.O.V.
 
Naomi walks in as I hang up asking who just called. I tell her it was my cousin. Sensing Naomi's next question, I add that she was confirming that our arrival time was okay. Three days later, I awaken at 6:15 finding Naomi and her father loading the car. Her mother walks out fifteen minutes later with the final suitcase and directions to Katsumi's house. While we were loading the car, the movers were loading the TV's, dressers and all other heavy items into the van. Before leaving, we decide to stop at McDonald's for breakfast. We stop at McyD's about a half hour into the trip ordering food to go. Everyone eats his or her food within ten minutes of getting back on the road.
 
Kyoto
Doujima's P.O.V.
 
We arrive in Kyoto right on schedule. The movers continue on ahead of us to Naomi's house. Mr. Waka pulls into my cousin's driveway. I exit the car pulling a suitcase along with me. I go around to the trunk pulling out my other suitcase. Walking past the driver's side, I thank Mr. Waka for the ride and head for the front door. The Waka's leave as I get to the front door.
 
Katsumi's P.O.V.
 
I hear a knock on the door and go to answer it. Opening the door, I see Doujima immediately inviting her in. We give each other the "it's nice to see you again" hug. Retreating, I say, "Let's go get some food. Of course, she agrees, and we go to the kitchen. Upon finishing her meal, she dismisses herself to the guest room and promptly, upon collapsing onto the bed, falls asleep.