Fan Fiction ❯ Icey Flames ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Can you help me with this fire, Sokka?” Katara asked as she struggled with piling logs into a neat stack.
 
Sokka glanced over and yawned. “You're a woman; you need to learn how to make a fire if you're ever going to make a good wife.”
 
Katara began to mutter, “lazy…ungrateful…stupid,” as she continued to put the logs together. Finally she got the fire going. She sighed and sat down, warming her hands.
 
After a moment Sokka whined, “I'm hungry! Feed me Katara!” It was past noon and they hadn't eaten anything for over two days.
 
Katara glared at him. “You're a man; you need to learn how to get food if you're ever going to make a good hunter.”
 
Sokka stood up and grabbed his boomerang. He growled, “Fine! While I'm out I'll also find Aang at the market.” He paused and threw in angrily, “And DON'T expect me back soon!” He turned and stomped into the trees. Katara watched him leave with a raised eyebrow. Momo clicked his tongue and tilted his head as he watched Sokka leave. Katara leaned against the humongous bison. “Oh, Appa…what are we going to do with him?” She shook her head and leaned back, looking up at the clouds.
 
 
Prince Zuko stood at the railing of his steel ship and looked out to the sea. His mind kept replaying what Admiral Zhou had said to him. If your father really wanted you back, he would have called you by now…Avatar or no Avatar… Tears formed in his eyes, because deep down, he knew that it was true. He shook his head and instantly the tears in his eyes were gone. No, I just need to find the Avatar. Then I will be honorable once again…and more importantly…I will regain my place in the throne and in my father's heart. Zuko smiled slightly.
 
A guard approached cautiously behind the prince. He cleared his throat and his voice cracked slightly as he spoke. “Ahem…Prince Zuko?”
 
The prince turned around and waited. After a few moments of an awkward silence he finally asked, “Well?”
 
The guard continued. “We have had many reports from some of the villagers on that nearby island,” he paused and pointed to an island a few miles away and then continued, “about a young boy that fits your description of the…er…Avatar.”
 
Prince Zuko smiled at the news. He looked back a the guard and yelled, “What are you still doing here?! Ready 3 other guards. At night you and your group will sneak into their camp. Capture the Avatar in his sleep before anyone even notices he's gone.” He smiled as the guard ran off to find the others. He turned back towards the sea and whispered, “Tonight, my Avatar, you will not escape…”
 
 
- - - - - - - -
 
 
Katara laid out the three sleeping bags on the ground in a row. It was so dark now that she could hardly see her own hands. The fire hadn't given off nearly as much light as she'd hoped, let alone warmth. She heard a rustle in the trees a ways off. “Sokka? Aang? Is that you?” She shrugged. It was so late and they still had not returned. Katara closed her eyes and imagined an exhausted Sokka in the dark chasing blindly after a rabbit while Aang flew above, guiding him. She opened her eyes and laughed. She yawned and fumbled her way into her sleeping bag. “Mmm…goodnight Momo.” Momo squeaked and jumped over to sit on a rock near the remaining warmth of the fire. Appa groaned. Katara giggled, “Oh, I'm sorry Appa. Goodnight to you too. She stretched and turned over so that she was lying on her stomach. She yawned once more and then fell into a deep sleep.
 
 
Four guards sat off in the distance from the Avatar's camp. Two were to capture the Avatar while the others guarded the exit, just in case. They sat and waited for the Avatar's fire to go out. That would be their signal to begin. One of them yawned while another got the large bag and rope ready for the capture. Finally, after about fifteen minutes, the fire slowly began to die down. They waited till the last ember was shrouded in darkness. They smiled and crept out of the trees and towards the sleeping Avatar and his companions. It was so dark, they couldn't see anything. Two of them split off to the exit while the others guessed on which sleeping bag held the Avatar. They picked the first sleeping bag; of course the Avatar would be the first one in the row, for he was their leader. The larger guard grabbed a big rock and crept silently next to the sleeping Avatar. He wheeled his arm up and then slammed the rock down onto the Avatar's head. There was a quick, muffled wince and then silence. The guard leaned down and listened to the breathing. He was unconscious. He motioned for the other guard to come over. He got the bag ready as the other one grabbed the Avatar's feet and tossed him into the large bag. The smaller one grabbed the rope and tied a knot around the opening. He motioned for them to leave. They took one last glance at the camp and then crept off to join the other two guards waiting at the exit. “Did you get him?” One of them whispered. Another one answered, “Yes, now let's return before his companions see that he's gone.” They all nodded in agreement and took off towards the steel ship near the water. The guard carrying the Avatar groaned, “This guy weighs a lot more than you'd think a little 12 year old boy would.” He gasped from lack of energy and continued to follow the other guards. A smile crept on his face as he visualized the look of amazement they'd receive from the prince when he saw that they were able to catch the Avatar.