Fan Fiction ❯ Identity Thief ❯ A Discovery pt. 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Identity Thief

I thought about discontinuing this fic (after all, it's been three years), but one day during algebra (during a conics lesson), I picked up my pencil, flipped over my notes page, and starting writing. And now that school's out, I actually have time to finish what I started.

Note: It's been years since I've played or seen any of the Legacy of Kain games, and I have to admit my knowledge is a little rusty. I did pick up Blood Omen 2 again (great game, by the way), but I neglected to play it once I got to one of the harder bosses. As a result, I may mess up some of the facts. If I do, please TELL ME NICELY and I'll correct the mistake(s) asap. Thanks.

@@@

Raziel's POV

Finally letting my curiousity get the better of me, I passed between the realms to begin my exploration. Something was wrong in the physical realm; somehow I could feel it.

When I arrived, it was nearly dark. Kain would be out feeding, and I needed to do everything in my power to avoid him if I was to find whatever it was I was looking for. The darkness here was different than the kind in the spectral realm, but I was forced to neglect the light of the Reaver in order to conceal myself.

I was at a cemetary. I didn't think I was going to find anything here, but I continued to look behind trees and around tombstones.

What am I doing here? I asked myself. I had no idea what I was looking for.

I stopped walking, hoping to hear something to aid me in my search. What I heard wasn't pleasant; someone nearby was sick and retching. At first, I was nervous, but after reassuring myself that it couldn't possbily be another vampire, I was fine. Vampires didn't usually experience this sort of sickness, unless it was during those rare occasions when they had tasted rotten blood, or when they neglected to feed over an extended amount of time.

Once again, my curiousity was stirred.

I followed the sickening sound until it ceased altogether. Kneeling behind I tombstone, I waited, listening as the sound of footsteps grew ever closer. They stopped near me, and during this moment, I took a chance glance at the feet clad in black leather boots[1]. Their owner was completely oblivious to my presence even though I was a few mere inches away. My gaze trailed from the feet, up the legs and body, until finally, I was able to meet a pair of dark blue eyes.

"You!" I shouted, jumping back in a combination of defense and surprise.

Kain turned to me, startled, and clearly not expecting my presence. "Raziel," he purred, a defiant smirk playing on his lips. "Now what do I owe the pleasure...?"

"The pleasure's all mine," I retorted. "Coming out to feed?"

As soon as my question was voiced, Kain doubled over, emptying the contents of his stomach. I watched in horror at the substance spilling out of him; it wasn't blood.

"Kain...," I said, taking a few cautious steps back.

For some reason, although I'm not sure why, but what I was seeing was frightening. Even with this, I continued to watch the milky liquid now flowing from Kain's mouth until it ceased. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

Kain's skin was pale--paler than usual--and I could hear/feel his heart beating rapidly in my head. But why was his heart beating at all? It should have stopped beating the moment he was turned into a vampire. I watched as he slid down the side of a grave topped with a stone-faced angel.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked, no longer able to keep my curiousity to myself.

He looked at me and smiled. "Haven't you guessed?"

When I didn't answer, he reached for a small knife inside his back pocket. He turned his arm so that his palm faced me and the sky, placing the blade centimeters from his wrist. He sliced open the vein there, it wasn't deep, but it wasn't shallow enough that it wouldn't bleed. Blood drained from the wound, as it should have, and I watched, waiting for the skin to mend itself...but it did not.

"Kain!" I yelled after a moment, and the skin still had not healed.

He looked up at me and chuckled, bringing his wrist to his mouth and sucking at the blood until the flow slowed to a trickle. "You're too naive," he said, ripping a piece of cloth from the red sash around his shoulders and wrapping it tightly around his injured wrist. "I'm no longer dead."

"But how--?"

He bared at me what should have been his fangs, but I looked on in amazement as the teeth he was showing me were no longer long and sharp, but practically flat as a human's.

"I don't know what happened," he said. "I woke up this way."

At first, I was baffled; Kain my "father" and master, most always known as the greatest vampiric being in Nosgoth was now nothing but a frail human being. But now I was curious. If something had happened to Kain to turn him back into the human he once was, then perhaps there was something that I too could use to change myself back into my old Sarafan body. It wasn't something I was fully sure I wanted to do, but anything was worth a try, and with Kain in this delicate state, it was the least I could do.

"Come on," I said.

I held out my hand to him, hoping he would take it. At first, he looked at it, staring at my claws, but after a while, he grabbed them and I helped him up. His hands were smaller now, with five long fingers, and they didn't have claws. I was amazed at how alien they seemed to me now after all these years.

"Where are we going," Kain asked, as I led him from the cemetary.

"I don't know," I replied honestly. "But I'm going to help change you back. It's what you want, isn't it?"

@@@

[1] Yes, I know Kain doesn't wear boots, but I didn't know how else to describe it [until later on, and was too lazy to change that paragraph, sorry].

Man, after writing this, it makes me want to replay Defiance or try Blood Omen 2 again. But that means I'll have to go out and buy Defiance and money is not something I have right now (but oh the joys of renting it!).

Anyway, I never played the entire Blood Omen (first one), so I don't know what Kain looked like as a human. Actually, when the game started, did they even show what he looked like as one, or did it start out with him already a vampire? I don't remember. Guess I'll have to hook up my PS1 and play it. But if I don't get to that, can anyone give me a site or a brief description of human Kain in a review or something? If not, then I'll just make up his appearence, which could be fun too. :)