Fan Fiction ❯ Ignotum per Ignotius ❯ My Former Navigator ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
-------------------------------------------------------------- ---
Ignotum per Ignotius
(A thing unknown by a thing more unknown)
-------------------------------------------------------------- ---

A fanfic by AmethystGleam

Disclaimer: I don’t own Xenosaga or its characters.

Author’s Rant: I’ll try to keep it brief. >>; Consider this your shounen-ai warning. Shounen-ai means two boys like each other. If you’re upset by such relationships, please refrain from reading this fanfiction. I apologize in advance, also, for any OOC-ness or Incorrect Data–this is simply a work of fiction, and as such, I’d like you, the reader, to keep an open mind about yourself.

Finally, this fic contains spoilers in relation to Xenosaga: Episode II’s ending. If you have not yet completed the game and don’t want to risk getting the game spoiled for you (though I was never effected by such things; chances are you won’t know what I’m talking about, and hence can’t be spoiled), then don’t read it. Simple as that.

This concludes my rant for this chapter. Please enjoy.
---------------------------------------------------------------- -

Introduction: A long time ago

It’s the lack of data that bothers me.

14 years ago, I was sent to what is now known as ‘Old Miltia,’ on a top-secret mission to recover the U.R.T.V.s. While I had insisted upon my ability to complete the mission alone, I was assigned a navigator – and therein the problem began.

----------------------------------------------------------- ------

Chapter 1: My Former Navigator

I never understood chaos. The moment I met him, I thought him no different from any other human, besides the exotic mix of tanned skin, platinum hair, and pair of blue-green eyes that seemed to glow with otherworldly light. The young man’s outwards demeanor was polite and good-natured, but beyond that façade, I could tell from the start that he had a lot to hide; and I was right about that. I didn’t particularly care about it at the time, but chaos divulged very little about himself during the mission on Old Miltia besides a few enigmatic comments that certainly led me to disbelieve that he was at all a normal human being.

At the time, I was satisfied in that I did not have to make small talk with him, and despite his aforementioned demeanor, my navigator had been rather professional in his work, once I calmed him down enough for him to perform it. I was able to pass off the curious skills and comments of chaos with the thought that I would never see him again after our mission on Old Miltia; however, 14 years later, we met again, the two of us looking exactly as we had 14 years before. chaos was definitely not a normal human. After being informed that I was to be stationed on the Elsa with chaos and the others, my interest in the man began to pique again, and I looked up chaos’s file in the U.M.N. database.

Never, in all my years of service, had I seen such an empty file on someone so deeply involved in the sorts of things chaos is. His first name, his weight, his gender, and his height; This was all the information about him that there was on file. No last name, date of birth, place of birth, or race. In the footnotes of the page, his occupation aboard the Elsa was noted in small print, but nothing further.

Was chaos really this much of a mystery to everyone? Or was there someone in the U.M.N. hiding his information even from military personnel? I couldn’t figure it out. Furthermore, I failed to understand how anyone could trust, or rely on, someone they knew so little about. After accessing chaos’s file, I had begun to pay more attention to those around my former navigator. None of them ever asked questions. chaos would disappear for a moment, or say something extremely out-of-place, but no one would ever question him.

I am an emotionally repressed Realian. So it must be the lack of data that bothers me.

-------------------------------------------------------------- ---

Author’s Conclusion: The first two chapters go mildly slow, but it picks up after that. Reviews are always welcome, but please direct flames directly to my email, which can be found in my profile.
Converting /tmp/phpm07RGg to /dev/stdout