Fan Fiction ❯ In the End ❯ The Arrivial ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I awoke with a jerk, cold sweat dripping down my face and neck. I struggled to catch my breath as I looked around nervously. My heart pounded at the sight: a whole fleat of ships coming after me. I fiddled with the switches, trying to figure out how to turn off the auto pilot. After a series of flipping switches, turning knobs, and pressing bottons, I finally figure out NOT to press the red botton (I was almost ejected out of the ship and into the nothingness of space). I finally flipped the right switch and auto pilot went off.

"Ship 1748HR," the radio blasted, "Please link up with the head ship. I repeat: Please link up with the head ship. Over."

'Yeah, like that's gunna happen!' I glanced behind me as the ships got into a battle position. I quickly slammed the gas as hard as I could and I was off. I searched the panels for something the would help. I smiled as I found just the botton: Turbo Hyper-Drive. I glanced behind me one last time and press the botton. The radio muddered something, but the high-pitch scream of the boosters drowned it out.

I was pushed back into the seat. I cluched the stearing wheel as if it were life itself. As I very nearly avoided planets, moons, and other things, I realized that the fleat of ships was gone. I turned off the Turbo boosters and relaxed.

I put it on auto-pilot again and looked around. The ship was very small. It had another chair beside me, a small space inbetween the seats. I reached over and opened the compartment. Inside, I saw a few containers. I opened one: water. I put it back and sighed. I closed the compartment and leaned back in my seat. I glanced at the computerized map. I planned my course and smiled. 'I'm going home...,' I thought as I closed my eyes. Once again, I fell asleep.

I awoke to an alarm. I jerked up and looked around. A red light flased on the screen in front of me. I franticly searched behind me, looking for a ship, but saw none. I looked again at the screen. "Shit! Auto-pilot failed?!" I yelled over the alarm. I pounded the auto pilot botton and the alarm stopped. I grabbed the wheel and frowned.

"Why does auto-pilot have to brake when I'm driving it?" I asked myself as I realized that I didn't know how to get to X'altia from there. When the auto-pilot broke, the navigation system failed with it. I sat angerly back into the seat and sighed. 'I can't get to X'altia, and I can't go back, so I'll just land on the next planet I come to,' I thought as I glanced around. I looked for a planet and saw a small green and blue planet.

'That will have to do...' I drew closer to the planet and breathed deeply. 'Ok, you can do this, just...pretend that you're flying! Yah, that's it! You're flying, and this is just a small obsticle.' I smiled at the thought and took another deep breath. I looked at the bottons again. Then it hit me: I don't know how to land this. My hands shook nervously as I entered the atmosphere. I was pushed back in to the seat as I struggled to stay in control. The deep, blue water loomed ahead.

Suddenly, the memory of my escape flashed before my eyes. The water, the sails, everything. Every detail came flooding back. Then I lost control. The ship did a nose dive and came closer and closer to the water. My eyes franticly search for anything that could help. A flash of red caught my eyes. 'There!' I slammed my fist on the small, red botton. I closed my eyes and I was flug fron the ship. The ship hit the water and within seconds, it exploded. I tumbled towards the water and hit it with a sickening thud. I quickly swamn to the top and brought in a lung-full of air.

I caught my breath and looked around. "Water..." I looked in every direction. I sighed. "I'll just have to swim for it..." I saw in the direction I was facing. 'I could fly, but I don't want to attract attention...' I laughed at myself. 'And swimming onto shore after this long swim definetly won't attract attention!

After a few hours, the sky grew dark. "NOW, I can fly!" I said as I lifted myself out of the water. I shivered as the cool ocean air hit me. I brushed my dripping hair out of my face. I crossed my legs and and looked at my raw feet. The cuts from the beams had turned grey. I stuck my tounge out and straightened. I paced myself as I flew, going just fast enought so I wouldn't grow tired. I flew ahead, my eyes set on the horizin. It seemed like days I flew, but just as the stars started to dim, I saw it.