Fan Fiction ❯ Last Bell ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Last Bell by King Cheetah

Part Eight - Pep Rally

I cry myself to sleep each night knowing that I own none of these characters...

Rated PG-13, Robin/Raven and Beast Boy/Jinx pairings. Starfire and Terra with probably get drunk and do something goofy at some point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------

She just watched him laying beside her. Robin finally looked at peace, his breathing a slow, syncopation matching her own, and the clouds which seemed to perpetually cover his face had passed. We even have that in common, she smiled. The wrestling mats in the training area soon lost their appeal, so gathering themselves up, they'd moved to his room, where the soft light filtering in through the shades gave it a soothing amber glow.

Shedding a few clothes as they stumbled the seventeen feet to his bed, they continued to exchange kisses at a furious pace, their tongues never apart for long. But once on the bed, all sense of urgency was gone, as each finally realized that they were not about to lose the other, and this dream held no fear of waking.

They lay together, their kisses gentle and tender, as they talked of themselves and each other. After an hour, she lulled him to sweet sleep and lay beside him thinking. She was lucky, she thought, for the most important thing to her in Jump Town had come out with her, though she was instantly hit with the realization of all she'd lost.

Her parents and home which she loved, her books and music, and of course Jinx. This brought the tears, as nothing else had. All of her life had been spent in the never-ending battle for control of self, and friends had proven to be a distraction, and as such were neither sought nor welcomed. But in Jump Town, she was Raven Bishop, average girl with extra average dreams, her most difficult inner battles being of her make-up palette.

In Jump Town, she loved and was loved, with family and friends to give and take in matters of the heart. And then Tim Drake smiled his crocked little smile and stole her heart. Not merely a lover, but a true kindred spirit, being a voracious reader, gregarious, yet thoughtful and introspective, never afraid to share his thoughts or feeling with her.

This morning, she dreaded the idea that perhaps this was the work of the Mad Hatter's Dream Engine, but Robin had confessed his love for her a dozen times over this day, and she likewise in turn. When wearing other faces, they finally told each other the truth. She'd always felt something for him, this dull stirring which she was too afraid to examine, let alone act upon, plus Robin's stoic nature gave her no reason to hope.

But now... now they finally felt the freedom to accept what was always there.

How sweet he looks, she thought. What are you dreaming of? A thousand hopeful scenarios rushed through her mind as she hoped that most of his dreams contained her. Not quite ready to leave his side, she thought that this was as good an opportunity as any to begin the daily rituals she'd been putting off.

Closing her eyes, she began to center herself and begin her meditations, Robin's breathing being the perfect metronome, when she began to notice something curious... there was absolutely nothing going on inside of her. Furrowing her brow, she made two quick snaps of her wrist and teleported her soul mirror off of her dresser and into her waiting hand. Holding it at arm's length, she began her mantra and slowly projected herself inside the mirrors edges.

Opening her eyes, she was... baffled by what surrounded her. The inner workings of her mind had always been a complex and chaotic affair, as several different shards of her id did constant battle for dominance, with her tireless meditations meant to keep all factions in check. But now her inner self was serene and at peace.

She found herself standing in a lush but manicured woodland area, like a park or public garden. It was a bright and cool, autumn day, the trees just starting to turn, always her favorite time of year. Walking along the trail, she could hear the distant sounds of cars, but why would there be any sort of traffic in her head?

Finally, the trail opened into a picnicking area, complete with tables and grills, though no one to enjoy them, when her eyes fell upon a sign.

Jump Town Municipal City Park.

Sponsored and Supported by
The Jump Town Jaycees

------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------

The club wasn't too crowded for a Thursday, but Cyborg thought that it still lacked the intimacy that he preferred. It could hold a hundred with ease, but the two dozen present this afternoon seemed like a mob to him. Well appointed, and festive, it was his personal escape from Titans status and all that went with it.

Dressed down in jacket, shirt and jeans, it was not readily apparent that he was anything other than a really big guy enjoying a few beers and ESPN2. Casting an eager eye about him, he finally saw the reason for his presence, (other than the rebroadcast of last Sundays Denver game); Baran Flinders. Mammoth was likewise dressed for street level, and spotted Cyborg immediately, waving his acknowledgment.

On his feet, he hugged Mammoth and pumped his hand furiously, "Dude, I was beginning to think you wouldn't show! What'll you have?"

"Oh like hell," grinned the big man, "You knew I'd show. Uh, Sam Adam's is fine, thank ye'"

"Yo Tracy!" grinned Cyborg, "Two over here." In a thrice, a slim waitress with a shock of red hair jutting off the side of her head in what might charitably be called a ponytail, glid up to the table like a ghost and hugged Cyborg, "OOOH Victor, I didn't see you come in! What're you doing here so early in the day?" she chirped.

"Tracy, this here is...," he paused a moment, "My best friend from school, Baran Flinders. Dude, the pixie here is 'Tracy with a I' Everette. She single handedly takes the edge off me every time I come here. Treat him right, girl, He's gold."

"You big guys always seem to hang together. What would you like today Baran?" she twinkled.

"Big guys have big hearts, or so it's been my experience." and Mammoth smiled a weary smile, "We'll have Sam Adams and a bit more of your sweet disposition, if y'please."

"Well aren't you something!" giggled the slight girl, "But as Victor should have told you, I already have a boyfriend-"

"You have a guy who spends all your tips and forgets to pick you up from work. Not the same thing." smiled Cyborg smugly.

"But I also have big sweet guys in my life to look out for me." she smiled, kissing the top of Cyborg's head and said, "Nice to meet you, Baran. I'll have your beers right up." and she was off.

Smiling at Cyborg, Mammoth said, "You'd cosign a loan for her in a second, wouldn't you?"
"Don't rub it in." he smiled, shaking his head, "So... how'er you two holding up. How's Jinx feelin'?"

Mammoth fiddled with his napkin for a moment then said, "She cried all night. I tried talking to her but neither of us was really up for it. I'm... all right I guess. It's just that now my life seems like such a waste of time, y'know. Oh um, no one else in the H.I.V.E. knows about this. Nothings really going on right now, so no one's paying much attention to us, 'cept maybe Gizmo, but who the hell knows what his deal is. We even talked about faking up some sort of secret mission to just get the hell away for a while. I know I need it." he said, pausing to look around the club, "How bout you guys?"

Cyborg nodded, "Pretty much the same. Beast Boy and Starfire took it the hardest, though I'm not sure why. Everybodies just sort of walking around in a daze."

"And you?" Mammoth raised an eyebrow, "How's the titan of the gridiron taking it?"

"Well now, there's the joke. While all of you were living out your dream lives, my experience was... different." sighed Cyborg, as Tracy with an I brought their beers and a bowl of beernuts.

"On the house, for my big guys." she winked, kissing Cyborg's pate again.

Taking a long pull off his beer, Cyborg said, "Before the accident, Jump Town was exactly what my life was like. I was a jock, big man on campus, and had the love of a lady I'd do anything for. But shit like that can go out of perspective quick, and you start making mistakes. Big mistakes that hurt people. People who should never know a day of hurt in their lives."

He took another long pull, "Funny thing is, I'm actually happier now than I was when I was all in one piece. I'm just as big, just as powerful, but..." he tapped his chromed skull, "I learned to use this. My little bit of the Jump Town pie was a desperate bid on my brains part to undo a little wrong."

Mammoth nodded, "Lea." he said quietly, and took a pull off his own beer.

"Bro, the heart is hands down the hardest working muscle in your body, but is also the most delicate. Damage it, and it never does heal up quite right." he finished his beer, "There was only one thing Jump Town had to offer me, and it couldn't even give me that."

The silence encased them like amber until Mammoth motioned to Tracy with an i for two more beers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------

Back in the world of the living, Starfire followed Terra into the commons in time to see Beast Boy jump up and laugh menaically, "Beast Boy, you are pleased about something? What good has come to you this day?" she asked with a little smile.

Capering about like a mad pierrot, he grinned, "I GOT MY CAR! I GOT MY CAR! I GOT MY CAR!" and preceded to shift into several animals as he did the butt dance.

Leaning close to Terra, she whispered, "Is Beast Boy in possession of a permit to operate a land vehicle?"

"Let's not spoil the moment for him." smiled Terra.

His reveries were cut short by a deep drunning from the big video screen, indicating an incoming call.

"Titan's Tower, proud Mustang owner speaking!" grinned Beast Boy as Jinx's face filled the big screen.

"H-hey everybody. Hi G- er Beast Boy." she said softly. It was like a hammer blow to see her so soon and so unexpectedly. He seemed to wilt a little as he looked up into her beatific gaze, expression close to despair.

"H-hi Jinx. You... you look really good." he said, then regaining his composure, "Um, look Jinx I-"

"Hey Jinxie, I'm on the other line. Lemme clear that call so we can talk. Can you hold on?" grinned Terra in her best 'not-a-problem-here' voice. Popping the view screen on hold she shot Beast Boy an icy stare.

"What're you doing?" he asked indignantly.

"Stopping you from putting your foot so far into your mouth that you could taste your knees. Let me guess, you were just about to tell Jinx to get lost, weren't you?" asked Terra.

"Uh, News Flash, she's on the other team! Talk about your mixed marriages.." he said.

"Uh, News Flash, it's not always about YOU!" she said mockingly, "She went through the exact things we did, so you know what SHE must be going through. We all have each other to depend on, but do you think she or Mammoth have any real friends in the H.I.V.E.? Somehow, I can't imagine Gizmo going all Oprah for them." Beast Boy hung his head and began to fidget.

"Terra is correct, Beast Boy." said Starfire, "Does not Jinx deserve the same compassion that you would show to any of your team mates. She is hurt and needs our help. The Gar Logan of Jump Town would do this."

Outraged, Beast Boy snarled, "The Gar Logan of Jump Town is-"

"Standing right in front of us." said Terra softly, "Or at the very least he should be. Do the right thing, dude. Do what you know is the right thing."

He stood for a moment before nodding, then taking a few deep breaths he hit the call receiver, "Still there Jinx? Sorry about that, but it's all I can do to keep these two from breaking us with those boy band 1-900 numbers. You look splendid as always, but we were wondering how you felt. Rough night?"

She smiled at his flattery, some of the color returning to her cheeks, "Thanks G- um, Beast Boy. Sorry-."

"Baby, you can call me Gar if you want. I was just kind of stressed last night, and y'know, I didn't really mean all that. I'm really glad you called, I... I really miss you." he smiled softly.

"Really?" she asked, eyes full of hope, "I... I didn't sleep to well last night, y'know? Um, I guess we all got pretty screwed up in the dream maker."

"Uh hey, look baby. This really isn't the sort of thing to do over the phone. You wanna get together and talk about this? I'd really rather do that." he said, grinning the grin.

"Yes! Yes, I'd love to." she said, barely able to contain herself, "Um... where?"

They were interrupted by Cyborg and Mammoth stomping into the room singing at the top of there lungs. Grinning broadly, Mammoth bellowed, "On your feet people! That's the Julius Shwartz Memorial High School fight song he's singing!"

"You left out 'poorly'." smirked Terra as Starfire giggled.

Spinning around to face Jinx, Beast Boy grinned, "How about right here? You need directions?"

Fade to black...

To Be Continued... (I'll finish it eventually, I swear)

------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------

Lemme know what you think; it's all about entertaining you.

As always, I use reviews as a barometer, so if you want more of something, lemme know.

Keep reading', keep written'!