Fan Fiction ❯ Lieffe and Dath ❯ Ancients ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Night fell. And Sheik's promise of the two coming back before dark melted away with the set of the sun. So now it was his turn to pace.

"Do you BELIEVE those two? I don't. They're just so…" Sheik flung his hands to his sides and collapsed into a chair. He rested his elbows on the table, weaving his fingers into his fair mane. "Damn it."

Soowe couldn't help but grin.

"See? I told you they wouldn't. And…"

"Shh, I'm thinking."

Soowe raised an eyebrow and shook her head. She had her dark hair tied up in a messy bun. She was slouched over a bit (very unlike her) and looked very nerve-racked, though not half as bad as Sheik looked now.

"I've had it," Sheik declared, standing suddenly. He grabbed Soowe by the hand and pulled her to a standing position as well.

"We're going after them."

~*~

Link and Reepe were walking. It was nearly totally black around them, with the full moon <A/N: The moon is always full in Hyrule...> as their only source of light.

"Uh, Link?" Reepe broke the pleasant silence.

"Mhm?"

"Just…Where are we going? It's late," she said, looking around.

"I was thinking we could camp the night at Gerudo Valley and get an early start in the morning," he informed her.

"Gerudo Valley? Are you sure that's safe?"

"Don't worry. I know them."

Reepe sighed.

"If you say so."

"And I do."

~*~

"Sheik, you've lost it."

"No, no. Look, I know exactly where Link would go. Trust me on this," he assured her, wrapping his arms up in the gauze bandages.

"I didn't say I doubted you. But, Sheik, it's late, it's dark, and it's probably more dangerous for us to go out there and look for them than it is for them to have their fun and come back when they feel like it," Soowe tried to sway Sheik.

"Soowe, you said it yourself. You don't know how much time you and Reepe have left, and I think it would only be wise-"

"To let her go where she wants with Link. If she really loves him, then she really trusts him, and she probably wants to be alone with him."

Sheik paused in his frantic rush to get collected and get out the door.

"You think so?"

Soowe nodded.

"I know I would."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying you should calm down and let this play itself out. I over-reacted this morning and I'm sorry," Soowe admitted.

Sheik shrugged, looking defeated.

"Sheik…"

~*~

Link and Reepe entered Gerudo Valley. <A/N: Link - "Hey, where is that music coming from?">

Link carefully walked over the bridge that was no more than a log sawed in half and Reepe followed.

"You know, I've never been in here before," she informed the Hylian.

Link smiled. They crossed the repaired rope bridge and a Gerudo guard standing there met them.

"Link? Is that you? What are you doing here…And who's your friend?"

"Heh…Well, this is Reepe. It's a long story, but…" Link searched for a way to shorten it. "We're camping here tonight."

The guard raised an eyebrow.

"Look, I know this is weird, but we've got our reasons…"

"Wait. Is that girl who I think it is?"

"Probably."

"You brought a keeper here?" the guard looked shocked, but immediately bowed to Reepe. "Please, come in."

She lifted her scythe, brought it down, and the gate slid open. Reepe grinned as she and Link stepped passed the guard.

"See?" Link whispered to Reepe, "they know me."

~*~

"Abrine. Abrine. Abrine.

Dressed in white

Eyes of red

Without fight

Leaves you dead.

Abrine. Abrine. Abrine.

In your dreams

In your fears

Takes your life

Takes your tears.

Abrine. Abrine. Abrine."

"That's what's written," Soowe said, her finger tracing the ancient words on the ancient paper.

"How can you read that?" Sheik's eyes scanned the paper.

"It's old Sheikan. Not what we use today. They stopped using this 700 years ago."

Sheik stared at the paper. All HE could make out were a few words, but this, this was something he'd never seen. He took the book and held it just a few inches away from his nose.

AβÏιηε. AβÏιηε. AβÏιηε.

ÎÏ"υμέν&# 206;¿Ï' σÏ"ο λευκό

ΜάÏ"ια Ï"ου κοκκίν 06;¿Ï…

ΧωÏίÏ' πάλη

ΣαÏ' αφήνει νεκÏοÏÏ'.

AβÏιηε. AβÏιηε. AβÏιηε.

ΣÏ"α όνειÏά σαÏ'

ΣÏ"ουÏ' φόβουÏ' σαÏ'

ΠαίÏνει Ï"η ζωή σαÏ'

ΠαίÏνει Ï"α δάκÏυα σαÏ'.

AβÏιηε. AβÏιηε. AβÏιηε.

That's what was on the paper. <A/N: And yeah, that's Greek. I had to do the "Abrine"'s by myself, `cause most made up words don't translate.> It resembled Sheikan, the way that it was now, but it would have taken Sheik at least an hour to figure it all out.

"And…You can read that?"

"Yeah…and I've got it memorized," Soowe admitted.

"So what's Abrine?"

"I don't know. The poem doesn't say. All I know is that it's something that works with Dath to take the lives of living things."

"Like a messenger?" Sheik asked, still studying the symbols.

"I think so. But I don't know…And you really want to read that, don't you."

"Well, it bugs me."

"Heeeeere…" Soowe said. She got up and walked away, then returned a few minutes later, pen and paper in hand.

She began to scrawl, and Sheik leaned over her shoulder to see what she was writing.

Abrine. Abrine. Abrine.

Ntymevod sto leyko

Matia toy kokkivoy

Xerid paln

Mad afnvei vekroyd.

Abrine. Abrine. Abrine.

Mta iveire sad

Mtoyd fovoyd sad

Tairvei tn zwn sad.

Abrine. Abrine. Abrine.

"There, are you happy now?" Soowe said, after finishing the translation into basic Sheikan. <A/N: Actually, I took the Greek letters and substituted their English counterpart…Though I did change some things, because I found it looked too much like the other…But hey, Greek was always too easy.>

"Much happy Sheik," he said quietly, staring blankly at the paper.

"Don't worry. You'll have plenty of time to figure it out, once you're the keeper. Hey, I did. Remember, I'm only four hundred. This language was dead 300 years before I was born."

"But you never figured out what Abrine was."

"Nope. I don't think I'm supposed to, just yet."

"Well, what have we got?"

"We know it wears white. And it has red eyes."

"So it's gotta be something that wears clothes, right?"

"Not…necessarily. For all I know it could be an evil Albino rabbit."

"You're kidding, right?"

"Yes, Sheik. I'm kidding."

~*~

<A/N: Well, that chapter was short and lame. ^^ But hey, it took me a half hour to write. And I'd upload it right now, but FANFICTION.NET IS THROWING A HISSY FIT. It's broke. And you all probably know that, but that's okay, I like to whine. Anyway, I hope you liked the mundane and short chapter this is, thank you, and have a nice day/night/end of the world…I just hope fanfiction.net supports Grecian symbols..>