Fan Fiction ❯ Looking in a Mirror ❯ Chapter one ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter One-
 
Eric Palep sighed as he walked into his last hour class of the day. He really wasn't sure why had even signed up for the class in the first place. As a junior in high school, he was really smart, but not very social. That was the reason he was here. His brother and sister, twins that thought and acted alike and were both sophomores in high school, had told him to join forensics to help with his lack of social skills and unwillingness to speak to people.
 
He sighed again as he sat down and brushed his brown hair out of his face. He shouldn't have listened to either of them, since they attended a public school, and he went to a private school, it wasn't going to be the same for them as it would be for him, but once again he had given into them and signed up for the class.
 
As he came to terms with his fate the teacher walked threw the door. "Okay class, this is the first day, so I'm just going to tell those of you who are first years, what is going to happen in this class. And for those of you who are varsity, you don't have to pay attention, but please keep quiet."
 
"So, for those of you who are novice students, we will have boot camp starting next week. You will do an informative, poetry and monologue over several weeks, so I can get a feel for what you should be doing for the rest of the year."
 
She then went over the rules in great detail, telling then exactly how she expected them to act in class and at tournaments. When the bell finally rang, signaling the end of school, Eric was half asleep.
 
Out side his classroom he found Peter, a fellow classmate and his only friend, waiting for him. "So, Eric, how's the speech class? Any hot girls?" he asked, grinning as he elbowed his friend in the side.
 
"It was boring, and um…I didn't notice any…" he attempted to avoid the last question. He didn't really notice girls very much; Peter always said that was because his head was always in a book. Eric wasn't so sure, he thought it was just because he wasn't interested, since he wasn't, but he didn't tell Peter this for fear that his only friend would think him clinically insane or something.
 
"You were probably just reading the whole time," Peter joked. Eric nodded, saying he was, though he hadn't been reading, he'd been listening to the teacher, but that was pretty close to the same thing.
 
They started to walk out of the school. "Well, I guess reading isn't bad, but you're smart enough that you don't need to read all the time."
 
"I don't, but I like to, is that a bad thing?" Eric asked, not seeing how it could be.
 
"Well, seeing as I'm the only friend you've got, I think it could be counted as a bad thing."
 
Eric frond, "Well, no one ever said I wanted you as a friend.
 
"No…but I need your help in classes, so you're stuck with me."
 
Eric let out a small groan, but smiled, "Well, if I'm stuck with you, do you want to come over for dinner? I'm cooking."
 
"Is your sister going to be there?" he asked slyly.
 
Eric looked at him quizzically, "No, she's got volleyball practice tonight."
 
"Good, I'm there," he said, stepping into Eric's house.
 
"Don't forget to take off your shoes," Eric reminded Peter as he went to take the first step onto the cream colored carpet.
 
"Oh, yeah…" Peter said, pulling his foot back and slipping off his shoes. "I always forget to do that at your house." He grinned, put his school back down, then headed for Eric's room.
 
Eric sighed, pulled off his shoes too and also headed for his room.
 
When he opened the door, Peter was sitting on his bed flipping threw some old science magazine Eric had left lying about.
 
"How can you read this stuff, seriously?" Peter asked a confused look on his face.
 
Eric shrugged, "How can you not?"
 
Peter looked up from the magazine. "By not picking it up in the first place," and he threw it into the chair by Eric's bed.
 
Eric just shook his head, moved the magazine to a new location and sat down in the chair. They sat in silence for awhile, when Peter looked up at him and said, "Eric, when are you going to cook me the dinner I was promised?"
 
At the comment Eric looked up from the latest addition of the science magazine, "I didn't promise you any dinner, and I'll start making it when…"
 
"Eric," they both heard the voice coming from down the hallway, "I'm home."
 
"…Zack gets home…" he finished and stood up from the chair. He walked over to the door and stuck his head out. Down the hall stood a light brown haired boy, with dark green eyes and blue jeans.
 
"Hey Eric," Zack greeted his brother.
 
"Hi Zack, Peter's here for dinner which I'll start in a minute," and he ducked his head back into the room.
 
Zack continued to stare at the spot where his head had been the previous second until he reemerged with Peter behind him. Eric headed for the kitchen with Peter and Zack following him. As he pulled out the dried noodles for the pasta, Peter and Zack sat down at the counter, facing him.
 
"So," Eric started as he put water into the pot to boil the pasta, "How was your day," he asked Zack, who had already been in school for two weeks.
 
Zack shrugged, he wasn't a big school person and he was a bit upset with his band instructor at the moment. "Mr. Razner is still a jerk and I have a five paged typed essay due in a week, other than that it's not too bad thought."
 
Eric looked over at his brother, "What's the paper on?"
 
"Flesh eating bacteria," Zack said off handedly with another shrug.
 
Eric went back to his cooking, stirring the noodles as they started to boil. He then took them off the stove and drained them, setting them back on the stove. He moved the sauce off the hot stove and pulled three plates out of the cupboard and placed them in front of the other two, "You can both dish up your own food," he said as he sat down and started eating.
 
The other two looked at each other then stood up and got some food. Sitting back down, they began eating as well.
 
When everyone had finished eating Eric picked up all the plates and put them in the sink. "I'll let Molly do those when she's eaten after she gets home," he said to himself.
"Um, when does your sister get home?" Peter asked, looking nervous.
 
"Uh…half an hour…why?" Eric really didn't understand what was up with Peter, he had never asked about Molly before, and now he was acting all weird.
 
"Oh, I was just…uh…wondering," Peter responded, shrugging and trying to act normal. But even Zack was giving him a weird look.
 
The two brothers glanced at each other but didn't say anything. Eric left the kitchen and headed for his room. Zack stood up and walked down to his and Molly's room at the end of the hallway. Peter sat there for a moment before walking down to Eric's room and sticking his head in, "I should probably get going, Eric, Mom might want me home soon."
 
"Kay, see you tomorrow Peter," Eric said, not looking up for his book.
 
Peter sighed and went to the door where he put on his shoes and picked up his school bag and then he walked the couple of blocks to his house.