Fan Fiction ❯ Looking in a Mirror ❯ Chapter three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three-
 
When he went to school the following Monday, he found that Devan was one of those people who for some reason you couldn't completely avoid in the hallway. No matter how hard he tried to avoid him, he always ended up seeing him.
 
On one occasion when he was walking to AP Chemistry with Peter, he even stepped into the boy's bathroom to keep him from spotting him. Peter gave him a funny look before continuing on his way.
 
Eric shook his head. He didn't even know why he was trying so hard to keep Devan from seeing him. He thought about it briefly as he slipped out of the bathroom. It might be because... He thought for a bit longer as he took his seat in AP Chemistry still not sure why he was trying so hard to avoid the kid he'd met at the Forensic tournament.
 
He sighed and slid lower in his seat looking at his book to refresh his memory about what they had done on Friday.
 
After AP Chemistry was over Eric headed down to lunch. He sat down and pulled out his lunch and Calculus book. He opened his book and started to work on some of the problems as he ate a turkey sandwich.
 
About five minutes later he looked up to get out the fruit snakes in his lunch only to find Devan sitting there watching him. He looked at him startled, for a moment. "H...how long have you been sitting there?" he asked, blinking.
 
"About four minutes," Devan replied, and then looked at the Calculus book, "Is that a book from a collage course?"
 
Eric nodded, "I'm in regular calculus, but since I've already gone threw the whole book, I got this one."
 
"Are you a math wiz or something?" Devan asked, smiling.
 
"Most people just say I'm a genius, but I don't usually agree," Eric said with a shrug.
 
"So, you're good at every subject and not just math?"
 
"Yeah, pretty much...well, the normal, required curriculum, like math, science, English, and the social studies classes, along with foreign languages."
 
"What languages?" Devan asked, looking interested.
 
"Huh...oh, fourth year honors Spanish and third year honors Latin, though I can do harder work than that..." he trailed off realizing he must be coming off as some sort of 'rub it in your face' know it all.
 
"Cool, I'm in fourth year regular Spanish, but only because I decided not to take it my sophomore year," Devan told him smiling.
 
Eric smiled back, "Yeah, I almost didn't take Spanish my freshman year because I wanted to take Latin, but I decided to take both, since I could fit them in," Eric said with a shrug. This was the most he'd talked to anyone out side his family, and not counting Peter, in a long time.
 
Devan nodded, "Yeah, Latin's one of those classes they don't offer in junior high school."
 
"Yeah, anyway...um..." he glanced up at the clock, 12:24, not late enough that he could say he needed to get back to class.
 
Devan watched him, then to keep him from saying something he might find embarrassing he said, "So, since you're the smart one, you want to help me with Pre-Calc some time?" He really didn't need a lot of help, nothing he couldn't get from a teacher, but he figured it would be a good way to get to know Eric a bit better.
 
Eric was a little shocked at first. He didn't seem like the kind of guy that would have the need to ask for help with a class. And even if he did, he still didn't seem like the kind of guy who would ask an under classmen for that help. But Eric didn't see why he couldn't help him, and with what'd been going on in his mind lately he saw it as an opportunity to get to know Devan a little better. "Ah...sure...you can...um, we can get togeth..."
 
"How about we study at my house tomorrow night, after school?" Devan asked, to once again save Eric from embarrassment.
 
Eric nodded, now that he was looking down at the table to keep from blushing.
 
"Ok, well, I should be heading back to class then," Devan said standing up.
 
"Yeah, me too," Eric muttered, and began to put his Calculus book away.
 
"See ya tomorrow then," Devan said as he headed back to his class.
 
Eric didn't reply as Devan left, he just finished packing his stuff up and headed to his own class.