Fan Fiction ❯ Looking in a Mirror ❯ Chpater five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Five-
 
The rest of the week past pretty much the same as normal for Eric, except that he didn't get nearly as much work done at lunch as he normally did. This was due to Devan sitting with him. And to Eric's surprise he liked having Devan around, though he tried to play it off, to himself, that he just liked the company and not Devan's presence in particular.
 
Thursday at lunch Devan reminded him that he was going to help him with his room, if he still wanted to. Eric had smiled and said that he did, though the truth was that he really just wanted to spend the time with Devan, whether they were painting his room, or not.
 
*~*~*
 
Friday after school Eric slipped out of his forensics' room faster than normal to keep from having to explain to Peter why he was rushing off.
 
Eric stopped at his locker, dropping off the books he needed for his classes and picking up the collage books he didn't always carry around with him, before heading out front.
 
He found Devan standing with the same group of friends as before. Eric sat down on a bench to wait for him since he wasn't going to go up to him when he was with a bunch of his friends.
 
Devan spotted him sitting there and excused himself from his friends. Sighing, he walked over there. "You know, they won't bite, you can come over and get me."
 
Eric shrugged “I really don't mind waiting, and it keeps me from doing something stupid."
 
"You wouldn't do something stupid, you might embarrass yourself a little because you don't know what to say, but you wouldn't do anything stupid. Now come on," Devan said, grabbing his wrist and pulling him to his feet. "We'll stop by my house so you can leave your car there, then we need to go get some paint and stuff."
 
Eric blinked and wobbled a bit at suddenly being on his feet, before he realized that Devan had just said they would be getting the paint. "W...what?"
 
Devan smiled at the under classman he'd come to know a bit in the last week. "We're dropping your car off at my house, and then going to get some paint and stuff." Devan began to walk to his car.
 
As Eric followed, he asked, "Tell me you know what color paint you want?”
 
Devan looked over his shoulder at his shorter pier and smiled. "No," he said before unlocking his car and getting in.
 
Eric groaned and he slid into the driver's seat of his own car, he really didn't like home improvement stores, for any reason.
 
*~*~*
 
Once he had gotten to Devan's house, he climbed out his car and headed to the door since Devan had gotten there before he had.
 
He went to knock as the door opened and Devan walked out. He smiled at Eric, "I guess I have good timing. We'll take my car."
 
Eric followed after him and hesitated at the passenger door of the porch. Devan looked back at him and said, laughing, "Go ahead and get in."
 
Eric stood there for moment longer before hesitantly opening the door and sitting down on the seat.
 
Devan plopped down in the driver's seat and looked at Eric, laughing, "You're not going to hurt it. And even if you did, I wouldn't care, I don't really like having such an expensive car."
 
Eric looked at him to see if he was serious, and to his disbelief, he looked to be so. “You don't like having an expensive car?” he asked a little out of his normal range of questions.
 
Devan looked over at him as he turned the key to start the ignition, “Does that surprise you?” Devan had thought that Eric could tell he wasn't that kind of rich kid, one that wanted everything and was spoiled, that was more his sister's thing.
 
Eric thought about it for a moment, it had surprised him, but now he relised he'd been being stereotypical, something he wasn't normally, but obviously could be. Eric frowned, “Yeah, but now that I think about it, it was a stupid assumption,” he answered Devan honestly.
 
“Ah, so even you can stereotype people,” Devan teased as he pulled out of the driveway.
 
Eric looked down at his hands, a little embarrassed but he didn't say anything.
Devan looked over at Eric to see why he was so quiet all of a sudden to see him looking at his hand worriedly. Devan smiled, he could be cute sometimes with how he took everything so seriously even when it was a joke, “Eric,” Devan said, “I was just joking.”
 
Eric looked up then looked down again, blushing, why did he seem to always take things Devan said serious even when he was just kidding?
 
Devan glanced over at him to see the deep in thought and concerned look that was on Eric's face along with the slight blush covering his cheeks. Yup, he really was cute, and there was no other way of putting it.
 
The rest of the ride was pretty much quite, Eric thinking about what had been going on in his life over the past week, mostly relating to Devan. And Devan concentrating on driving and not really think about anything.
 
Devan pulled into a parking space near the front entrance and cut the engine. He poked Eric to make sure he knew they were there.
 
Eric, who had been trying really hard to puzzle some stuff out looked around, “Oh,” he said and opened the door to exit the car.
 
Devan smiled and shook his head, climbing out of the car too. He pushed the lock button on the remote for the car and headed to the entrance, Eric following behind.
 
As they walked into the store Eric glanced around, hoping this trip wouldn't take too long. He had despised home improvement stores since his father had continually forced him to go to them as a kid.
 
Devan noticed the unpleasant look on Eric's face, but decided not to say anything about it so as not to embarrass Eric again as he had in the car. “So, the paint is this way,” Devan said, pointing to his right. The pain was right in the front so it didn't take long to get to.
 
Devan started to look threw paint colors and Eric just sort of stood behind him not paying to much attention to anything and wishing he weren't there until Devan turned around and asked, “What do you think of this one?” He had purposely chosen one of the worst colors he could find to see if that would help him get Eric to help more. He hadn't brought him along so he could stand behind him like a statue.
 
Eric looked at the color and made a face, "Um...I don't think anyone should paint anything that color. But, if you want...actually, even if you want to, you shouldn't."
Devan laughed, he didn't think Eric could've said something like that. "That's good, 'cause I'm not going to," and he set the color card back in the slot.
 
Eric indicated to a light green color, "How about that one?"
 
Devan looked at the color and shook his head, "No, that's not really what I'm looking for," Devan said and picked up a different color, "what about this one?" He showed Eric a lighter blue color.
 
 
Eric looked at the color and shrugged, "It's not bad."
 
Devan picked up several more colors and showed them to Eric. He didn't get much of a different reaction out of him.
 
Devan gave up and picked up a navy blue color, "I think I'm going to go with this one."
 
Eric nodded and followed Devan up to the counter to buy the paint. Devan showed the sales person the color he wanted and the person went to get the paint.
 
A few minutes later the sales person returned caring several cans of paint. "Here you go, sir," The sales person said handing Devan the cans of paint.
 
Devan paid for the paint and some brushes and rollers, he drove them back to his house.
 
*~*~*
 
Once they were back at Devan's house they went up to his room caring the paint and brushes. The room was pretty much empty except for a table that was placed in front of the closet doors.
 
Devan set the paint down on the floor and poured some into a tray then looked over at Eric, “Have you painted stuff before?” he asked.
 
Eric nodded, “I helped paint my brother and sister's bedroom when we moved into our current house.”
 
Devan nodded and handed him a paint roller, “Good, then I don't have to show you how to do it.”
 
Eric took the paint roller and started to apply it to the walls. After a couple of hours about half the room was done, since they had to do three or four coats of paint to get rid of the black color.
 
Eric headed over to the paint can to pour more into the tray, but lost his grip on the can as he started to pour, succeeding in turning a small area of black carpet into blue carpet.
 
Eric set the paint can down and started a bit frantically to find something to clean it up with. Devan looked over at Eric from the wall to see him looking around the room a bit worriedly. “What's wrong?” he asked turning around fully now.
 
Eric blushed and said, “Um…I'm sorry, I…ah…spilled paint on the…” he pointed to where he had spilt the paint.
 
Devan laughed, “It's no big problem,” he said, handing him a paint rag, “I'm getting new carpet anyway, so a little paint isn't a big deal.”
 
Eric took the rag and kneeled by the paint spill, “I'm still sorry,” he apologized again.
 
“And it's still no problem,” Devan answered, watching him as he hurriedly dried the paint best he could, his cheeks slightly pink. Devan smiled, he got embarrassed so easily.
 
As Eric tried to clean up the pain, his foot hit the table that was against the closet doors. The table wobbled precariously before beginning to fall heading towards Eric who looked up in time to see it heading for him, but not enough time to do anything about it.
 
Devan had enough time to think, briefly, isn't this nice, before he jumped in there, only being able to get there with his back facing the table so he kept it from landing on Eric.
 
So instead it was Devan who landed on top of Eric, his body pressed against Eric's, there faces cheek to cheek. Devan said quietly into Eric's ear, since it was conveniently located next to his mouth. “You moron.”
 
Devan felt Eric's already heated cheeks get even warmer and he blushed even more. He felt him move nervously under him and the warmth of his body. Devan had to make a conscious effort not to do anything rash.
 
Eric lie there under Devan, getting a bit uncomfortable with the position and wishing he wasn't feeling what he was feeling at the moment. He was blushing really bad and trying not to concentrate on how Devan's body felt on top of him at that moment. Then he heard Devan's voice, almost teasing in his hear, say “You moron,” and he blushed even more.
 
Then he heard another voice, this time from the hallway. “Um…bro, what's going on here,” Abigail asked from the door way.
 
Devan turned his head as much as he could, “Not much, Eric just knocked the table over while he was cleaning up some paint and I attempted to keep it from falling on him.”
 
Abby made a sound that said she didn't believe him, and walked farther into the room.
 
“Oh, and would you mind helping by moving the table?” Devan asked. As much as he was enjoying the situation with Eric, it was a bit uncomfortable having a table lying on his back.
 
Abby walk over to them and stood there for moment before lifting the table up off her brother.
 
Once the table was off his back Devan stood up, and then offered a hand to Eric, who was still on the floor.
 
Eric looked at him before taking his hand and having Devan pull him to his feet. Their hands lingered for a moment before falling away.
 
Abby looked at them then shaking her head, left the room without saying another word.
 
Eric was confused by how Abigail acted whenever he was around her. It was almost like…he didn't know. There were a lot of things he didn't know, and what he'd been feeling just moment before was one of them. And how he was feeling now that the moment was over was another. He gave Devan a smile, “You know, I should…um…probably get home,” he said, feeling the need to get away from Devan so he could sort out his own thoughts.
 
Devan, seeing he was flustered, nodded, “Yeah, probably.”
 
Eric smiled, “Bye,” he said heading out the door towards the front door. He got into the car and set his head on the steering wheel wondering what all of it was all about. Wondering what he'd been feeling in Devan's room. Wondering if there was any possible way he could be…