Fan Fiction ❯ Looking in a Mirror ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Seven-
 
The three of them pushed there way to the papers with the postings on them Devan looked down the row to find DI and scanned down to see the codes seeing his code DD114 Wahet, he looked at the room number then he found poetry, and did the same. Seeing his code there too, Devan made another mental not on the room number.
 
As Devan looked over his events, Eric found oratory and half heartedly looked down the paper. His eyes stopped on a code to see who had broken. Then he read it again, just to make sure he'd seen it right. The code read DD126, Palep. He'd broken into finals? He stood there for a moment, just staring blankly at the paper.
 
Devan came up behind Erin, and noticing he seemed to be looking at something; he looked at the oratory sheet and scanned it. When he saw Eric's last name he smiled, and said close to hi ear, "You should go to your, you don't want to be late.
 
Eric startled, then nodded, turning around, to put his face right in front of Devan's since he'd been leaning over. Eric nodded and headed off to his finals round before he did something.
 
*~*~*
 
Eric took a seat in his round and sat there nervously fidgeting. He watched the others in the round as they went up and preformed.
 
When it was his turn he went up there and due to nervousness he stumbled and messed up couple of times. As he sat down he had a feeling that he didn't do very well this time.
 
There was only one person who went after him. He thought, as he watched her, that she was really good.
 
When the round was over, about an hour and ten minutes later, every one left the room quickly, now that they had been in four oratory rounds, and it isn't the most intriguing thing to watch.
 
Eric walked down the hallway to the cafeteria and took a seat. He was taking deep breaths to stop the nervousness he was still feeling from the round.
 
He leaned back in his chair and was feeling better and a bit more relaxed as Devan came over. Devan took a seat next to Eric giving him a smile, “So, how do you think you did?”

Eric shook his head, “I don't think I did very well since I stumbled a lot and forgot some of my speech.”
 
Devan gave him an understanding look, “I know how it is first time in finals, so don't worry about it.”
 
Eric just nodded, “Yeah, you're right, I shouldn't worry about it. How did you do, you were doubled in finals weren't you?”
 
Devan nodded, “Poetry and DI, though I don't think I did as good in my finals rounds as I did in the other rounds. But I didn't do anything too bad.”
 
Eric nodded, “That's good, and…um better than me.”'
 
Devan shook his head, “Will you stop being so down on yourself? Really, you made it to finals, even if you get last you beat a whole bunch of people who are in the same event, that's how you need to look at it.”
 
Eric nodded, “I know…really…but…I really don't know it just doesn't seem right that I got into finals, I'm not…”
 
“Stop right there,” he said, “I don't want you going any further with that sentence. You are good, you got into finals, that means that once you stop being nervous, you are really good, so just shut up about not earning your spot in finals `cause it's annoying, especially since it's not true.”
 
Eric sat there not sure what to say. He'd managed to make Devan mad at him again, but what he had said made him feel warm, that Devan thought he was good at something, that made him feel happy deep down inside, and even though he wouldn't admit why, he already knew the reason he felt that.
 
As Eric thought about the feeling everyone around him started to applaud and he looked up to see the Forensics students who were hosting the tournament walk on stage.
 
“Ok, so we're going to start awards now, but first we have a few thank yous,” the girl at the microphone said. She went threw thanking her couch the rest of the team and some other people. “Ok, so now we're going to start with Informative and HI on deck.”
 
Eric saw his sister up on stage. They called of the places and Molly got fourth. Then HI was up and Entertainment was on deck. Zack was up there and he got second. Eric clapped for both his siblings but mostly ignored anyone else who was up there. He wasn't a big fan of awards, they took to long.
 
They went threw a few more events, then DI was up and Devan went up on stage. They called out the winners and Eric held his breath like he did last time. “And your DI champion is, DD114 Wahet, from Edwins.” Eric let out his breath and stood up to applaud like the rest of the room.
 
They called poetry next so Devan just stood there as the rest of the group filed on. The same happened, only Devan got second in poetry, but he looked happy and a bit full of himself when he sat down. But Eric didn't get a chance to say anything to him because he had to go up on stage.
 
Devan watched as Eric stood a bit uncomfortably on the stage, and he smiled, knowing that he was probably really nervous for no real reason as he usually was.
They listed the awards and though Devan and Eric's school didn't an award, they got fourth, Molly and Zach's school got second.
 
The schools all headed out to the buses so they could head home. Devan took a seat next to Eric. And as they drove him Eric fell asleep, his head against the window.
Devan watched Eric thinking he looked so…so…well he was always any word that came to mind and Devan gave up on trying to find one that he wasn't when he was awake and was when he was asleep, and just watched him.