Fan Fiction ❯ Love=Magic ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

A/N: This was originally going to be entered in the summer fanfic contest, but I knew I would never finish in time and I like having no rules. It was inspired by it though, keep that in mind when you start wondering about the content. This is my first completely OC fanfic, so please don't be too harsh on me. I'm very bad at character development in story format. It's very short though… Shounen-ai, if you didn't see the other warning.
 
Love=Magic
 
The warm glow of the setting Sun cast shadows on Totano's face. He watched the sky fade from blue to pink as it neared the half hidden bright red Sun. His yukata was ruffled slightly by the light breeze that passed. His grayish-blue eyes showed impatience. The grass on the hill where he sat looked like no one had mowed it in years. To the south, his house sat beside the hill, looking rather large compared to the flatlands around it. To the north was another house. They were the only two for miles. The village was visible from the hill, but the walk there was seven miles long to the east. The best part about the location of these houses was the cliff to the west. Twenty feet down was a bed of boulders that had been smoothed out by the continuous waves from the ocean.
“Totano! Sorry I'm late!” a male voice shouted from behind him.
“You were supposed to meet me here 30 minutes ago! Now we're going to be late for the Tanabata Festival! Do you know how long the walk is?!” Totano felt like a parent as he scolded Okashi.
“I know, I know. It's 5 miles. But we can make it. The opening ceremony is more than an hour away.”
“But it takes us just that much time since you won't quit fooling around!”
“Lighten up. It's not the end of the world if we miss the first 5 minutes.”
Totano let out a long sigh and looked Okashi in the eyes. The opposing emerald green eyes resonated with a child-like playfulness that contrasted with the mature features surrounding them. Okashi's eyes pleaded with him to let this mistake pass.
“Fine, you win. I just can't compete with those eyes of yours. Let's go,” Totano said as he rose and started walking towards the woodland area.
“It's `cause you love me,” Okashi said playfully, catching up and draping his arms around his partner.
“Of course. You're just too cute to resist,” Totano giggled and tapped Okashi on the nose.
The two made their way through the tree-filled area, holding hands and not saying a word. The anticipation of the festival created this hovering silence. As they neared the edge of the trees, bright lights began to appear and the beating of the drum could be heard. Totano and Okashi walked through the crowd in order to get a better view of the stage. Their village didn't have a large population total so there was more space to spread out and relax.
“Welcome, inhabitants of Saiyano!” a man said as he stepped out onto the stage. “Tonight is the night of the Tanabata festival, honoring the day lovers Princess Orihime and Prince Hikoboshi are allowed to visit each other. At this time, I'd like to introduce the actors who will be performing the legend behind Tanabata night.”
~~~*~~~
The actors took their final bow and scurried off stage to change out of their costumes. The master of ceremonies returned to the stage once again.
“Thank you for such a wonderful performance. But now it is time for the villagers to make their wishes. Up by the stage you'll find tanzaku and pens. Please don't push or crowd,” he said and then walked off to write his own wish.
“Come on!” Okashi said and pulled Totano through the small line.
“You didn't have to cut ahead; there's more than enough for everyone,” Totano said as Okashi grabbed two sheets of tanzaku and then moved to an open area.
“I know, but I really want my wish to come true this year….” Okashi trailed off, staring at the stars.
“So what are you wishing for?” Totano asked.
“Oh, nothing,” Okashi said and started to write.
“We're lucky we got such fine weather tonight,” Totano said, thinking of a wish of his own to write.
“Yeah… If it started to rain, I don't know what I'd do,” Okashi said, still concentrating on writing.
Once they were done, they walked over to the large bamboo tree and tied their wishes onto branches near each other. The two then proceeded to the tables where the feast would be held.
After the feast, Okashi and Totano went to the lake, located behind the stage and through the forest a little ways. Totano sat on the side, just dipping his legs, whereas Okashi threw off his yukata and dove in. Every time Okashi passed Totano, he'd try to pull him in by his feet. Eventually, Totano gave up and just went in, leaving his yukata near Okashi's. Okashi was exceptionally faster than Totano at swimming, so Totano's attempts to get Okashi back from dunking him were futile.
Both got out after becoming too tired to swim any more. Putting on their yukatas, they realized how furious each mother would be when they returned with wet clothes. They shrugged it off and started on their journey back home. Once there, they laid down on the hill and stared up at the darkened sky.
“Totano?” Okashi said suddenly.
“Yeah?” Totano answered.
“I'm glad that we live so close together.”
“Me too.”
“You know what else I'm glad about?”
“What?”
“The fact that we're not like Orihime and Hikoboshi. We can see each other all the time.”
“Yes, that's true.”
Silence befell them once again. Both were thinking about Okashi's last statements. The sky was filled with stars, more than normal tonight. The dim lighting of the two houses added to their ability to see these celestial objects. The absence of any light reflected off the moon also enhanced this effect. The closeness of Orihime and Hikoboshi's stars was easily sighted. As if some magical force was just on cue, a meteor shot across the sky and quickly burnt out. The two both wished at the same time, closing their eyes to do so.
“What did you wish for?” Okashi asked.
“That my wish from the festival would come true,” Totano answered.
“So did I… Funny. We're both so alike yet different at the same time. Our personalities couldn't be more opposite, but in the end, our goals and intentions are the same…” Okashi trailed off.
Totano thought about this and realized that Okashi was, in fact, right. He was uptight, stubborn, intellectual, mature, and a little on the short side, whereas Okashi was free spirited, laid back, athletic, child like, and very tall. In spite of that, they had been friends ever since they could remember, and their time together never got boring. There was always something to talk about or to do. In the long run, they had a good shot at being together forever. But there was only one problem holding them back….
“I still can't get over the fact that our parents won't let us ask Hirute-sama for a marriage ceremony. Mine told me that we'd be evicted from the town. Something about our relationship being too “different.” I don't see what's wrong with “different.” It's not fair,” Okashi suddenly blurted out.
“Don't worry, love. That might just change soon…” Totano said dreamily.
His voice sounded as if he knew for sure that something good was going to happen. Okashi gave him a strange look, which Totano caught out of the corner of his eye. At seeing Okashi's look, Totano pouted.
“Why are you looking at me like that? I just said that `cause I'm hoping for a miracle tonight,” Totano said in defense.
“You don't mean that you're going tonight. This late? Hirute-sama is bound to be asleep,” Okashi stated.
“Well, this is important, is it not? The head monk of our village should listen if the matter is of great importance,” Totano said, trying to convince Okashi to go with him.
“For once I'm thinking rationally and you're the one jumping into things. We should at least wait until tomorrow.”
“But why? Tonight is part of a festival based on love; it only seems right! Come on!”
Totano grabbed Okashi by the arm and started dragging him towards the temple. When Okashi had finally given up struggling, the speed at which Totano was walking increased greatly and even Okashi had to run to make sure that his arm wouldn't be pulled out of it's socket. They shortly arrived and stepped inside. The two walked barefoot since they hadn't taken their indoor shoes in their hurry. Hirute-sama was sitting in front of the ancient shrine used for special prayers. Each of Totano and Okashi kneeled on a cushion and lowered their heads, as not to be rude.
“Hirute-sama, we apologize if we are interrupting anything, but Okashi and I would like to request an act of you,” Totano said, bowing completely.
“What is it that you need, young ones?” Hirute-sama asked as he turned around to face the two boys.
“We would like you to perform a marriage ceremony tonight,” Totano answered.
“Tonight?!” Okashi shouted in surprise.
“You picked a good time; love is strong tonight. Are you sure you don't want to get your parents' consent first and maybe plan the ceremony?” Hirute-sama said calmly.
“They would be mad at us for asking in the first place. And I think tonight would be better if we were alone,” Totano said.
“Very well then. Are you both ready for this commitment? I know you are, Totano, but what about Okashi?” Hirute asked.
“I'm ready. We are 22 after all. We should be able to make our own decisions,” Okashi said, flashing Totano a smile.
“I see you are both wearing appropriate yukatas. Would you find it strange if I told you that the patterns on each of your yukatas show resemblance to those that Orihime and Hikoboshi wore when they were married?” Hirute-sama said.
His gaze turned to one of the many paintings in the shrine. This particular one was a portrait of the two mythical figures honored on this night at their marriage ceremony. The lovers looked about the same ages as Totano and Okashi, and their yukatas were star-printed and nature-printed, just like those of the two boys.
“My father gave me this yukata on the night of the Tanabata festival when I was 13. He told me that the stars on it made me look as noble as Princess Orihime herself,” Totano said, reminiscing.
“I got mine when I was 13 too. Same night,” Okashi said.
“This union was meant to be, but just as Orihime and Hikoboshi did, you will face problems in showing affection towards each other. If you do not want to be shunned by society, a secret this event must be, no matter how difficult it will be to keep it that way,” Hirute-sama stated.
The two boys had not realized this fact until Hirute-sama had just brought it up. A saddened look formed on each of their faces and they exchanged glances. Hirute-sama sensed the change in mood and decided that time to locate his ceremony book. Once he found it, he brought Totano and Okashi into the main building of the shrine. They each took their positions after Hirute-sama lit the incense and candles. The ceremony book was placed on an alter and Hirute-sama quickly found the page they needed.
“Tonight, these two lovers by the names of Totano Oremi and Okashi Hishobo wish to be joined together with the consent of the Gods and Goddesses above,” Hirute-sama said, beginning the ceremony. “Tonight, being the night of the double sevens, I ask Princess Orihime and Prince Hikoboshi above the rest to bless these two on their journey through life. Now is the time that I will ask the two of you if you feel you are able to accept this commitment and follow through with your vows. Totano? Okashi?”
“I do accept this commitment with honor,” both lovers said simultaneously, having both been to several weddings before.
“Very well. Let it be known that from this moment on, these two young men will support each other and love each other for the rest of their lives, no matter what hardships may come. May you both step out into the world with the blessings of Princess Orihime, Prince Hikoboshi, and the Gods and Goddesses and the feeling of rebirth. But before you do that, you must seal the contract with a kiss,” Hirute-sama finished, closing the book.
Totano and Okashi shared a most passionate kiss before rising, thanking Hirute-sama, and exiting the shrine. Once they had returned to their hill, with spirits high, they sat again, not wanting the night to end.
“What did you wish for?” Totano asked after a few minutes of silence had passed.
“That we would be allowed to marry soon. What about you?” Okashi said.
“I wished for the same thing. I guess if two people wish for the same thing and their intentions are pure, Orihime and Hikoboshi are more likely to grant the wish. It worked tonight, and I'm happy it did,” Totano said, leaning against Okashi.
“As am I, my love. I was just wondering about something… Does either of us need to change our names?” Okashi asked.
“I don't think so. It's not required and we wouldn't know whose name to use. And remember, we have to be kept a secret like Hirute-sama said.”
“I know. No matter what anyone thinks, I'd go to the ends of the Earth for you.”
“And I would do the same for you.”
The two boys sat there until they both fell asleep against one another, and they did not awaken until the Sun rose the next day. From their place in the sky, Princess Orihime and Prince Hikoboshi smiled upon the lovers that seemed so much like themselves.
~END~
 
I would like to take this time to ask you to please review. I haven't written a story in a while, let alone gotten a review. Oh, and I know those people who recognize my authoress name are probably wondering what happened to Insanity's Plot. I ran out of good ideas and jokes `cause I used them all, but due to the complete randomness of my friends, I have more jokes to add in. The next and final chapter will be posted shortly, but I'd like you to keep in mind that I am starting school in less than 2 weeks and I'm the only one left out of my friends and family who hasn't read the 6th Harry Potter book yet, so I'm quite busy. Please, I would like to keep the victim of death a secret until I get there. Thank you for sticking with me!