Fan Fiction ❯ Magnolia ❯ Home At Last ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Magnolia
 
Chapter One: Home At Last
 
By Rockette
 
The students of the well recognized leading, star section of the College of Pharmacy, Section PH 2-1, rooted to their seats, eyes aiming every wall, avoiding the piercing glare of the plump, obviously aggravated male professor. The dramatic glow emitting from the ivory fluorescent light reflected from the sebaceous excretion on the edge of his furrowed brow, pressing his chapping lips together and nodding, he released an airy sigh filled worry and regret. Each student clad in a blinding white uniform, females wore an hour-glassed cut blouse, with two pockets on the anterior midriff, the skirt worn snugly on the hips, loosening meagerly on the thighs down just enough to cover the backs of their knees. The males wore tailored pants of black, white coats were buttoned on the left with three pearly concaved coined sized buttons aligned perfectly on the rim of the shoulder.
 
“This will be our chance to prove to the Department of Education that Manila Central University can give them a run for their money, I've seen your scores and they're definitely top-notched.” Professor Santos spoke to them in his softest voice. Normally he spoke as if an unseen dagger was always on his side, now he had to use his most convincing tone. “I need at least five volunteers to enter the Physics competition, this will deal with Health Sciences as well, who amongst you, want to join?”
 
Everyone was quiet. Mouths were concealed behind handkerchiefs to deplete the ostentatious coughs that remained unbearable to hold in and this was result from the intensity of the cold air produced from the brand new air-conditioner installed in the room. It was not that the university they were attending was not good enough, they lacked the advertisement and popularity points the rival universities had, if it were in mathematics and health sciences, this university was the greatest. However, the confidence also died in the students, they were up against the University of the Philippines, students there were incredible geniuses, the chance of their university winning against the best… seemed like a distant dream.
 
“S-Sir…” A faint, audible female voice spoke.
 
Professor Santos perked up, looking for the source of the voice, finally seeing one curly-haired female student, whose hand shook as it rose to be noticed, “Yes, Hazel?”
 
Her knees buckled as she stood, holding onto the rear of the seat in front of her for support, she held a free hand in front of her face, to adjust her glasses, which quivered as she held it. She cleared her voice as quietly as possible, “Will there be extra credit involved?”
 
“There will be incentives for those who want to join, I can't say no to that.” He told her.
 
“Can anyone join?” She asked.
 
Professor Santos thought for a moment, “Preferably the ones who excel in Physics, we can't have students who don't know anything about the subject to represent our University, it'll be a disgrace. Do you have anymore questions?”
 
“No, sir, thank you.” Hazel found herself sitting down, inhaling deeply.
 
He took the large, messenger bag on the table, unhooking its cover and taking out long, sheets of examination papers filled with red marks, checks, exes and side notes. Gathering all of in his hands, he held it vertically and tapped it against the wooden table to align it all carefully, taking one stubby finger to run through the papers, he nodded, taking out a few papers, setting them aside.
 
“In this pile, right here,” He patted the set of papers he placed aside, “Are the students who have the highest score in the college, and I mean, the entire University, not simply exclusive to Pharmacy Students.”
 
“Wish I was one of `em.” A male student blurted out sarcastically.
 
Everyone chuckled, including the professor, “We'll see, James, depends on how well you did overall… I'll state the top five in this section…”
 
Their eyes wove onto his hands as he picked up the pile of high-scoring papers, the anticipation grew thicker by every second that passed, it would be great to represent the university and bring honor to themselves, it would also be disappointing not to get those extra credit incentives for joining the competition. Professor Santos relaxed in his seat, “I want the following students to stand next to me; these are the top five students who I want to meet after class… Benjamin Cruz.”
 
“Great job, Benji!”
 
An extremely tall male student stood up, walking quickly to his professor's side, his hand held the back of his neck, his cheeks flushed, he looked down and awaited for his following teammates.
 
“I guess playing lots of basketball really helps with academics, eh, Benji?” The professor joked, earning a gentle laugh from the tall boy. “Next the top four is… Ian Ricks.”
 
One good-looking student stood up, receiving several applauds from the female students, his hair was so stiffly gelled, it could stab someone, leaving them bleeding.
 
“So tell me, Ricks, do any of your girlfriends teach you in Physics?” Professor Santos asked with a wicked smirk across his lips.
 
“I forgot which one.” He said confidently, everyone roared in laughter ending in applause and catcalls.
 
“Ha, ha, ha… now for the top three…” His smirk softened into a proud smile, “Oliver Hagen, come up here please.”
 
Everyone looked at the foreign, male student in the wheelchair, his caramel locks falling down upon his blushing face, as his hands pushed the wheels forward towards the teacher's table, several of his colleagues patted him on the back, congratulating him. Upon arriving next to his teacher, Ian and Benjamin congratulated him.
 
“Glad that you're one of the top five, Oliver, it's great to have you here.” The professor told him.
 
“I feel the same way, thank you.” Oliver nodded.
 
“Alright, everyone settle in, I was actually expecting this person to be the top two…” He looked up, “Miss Hazel Mendoza.”
 
Hazel's head full of curls bobbed up with a shocked look slapped across her face, quickly standing up and scurrying to her professor's side, bowing to her classmates.
 
“Excited to be on the team, aren't we?” Professor Santos looked at her from the corner of his eye.
 
“Uh… yeah, it's nice to represent the school.” She smiled.
 
“Okay, now for the top one…” His eyes gazed upon the last paper, seeing the high score printed in red ink, his eyes bulged, “Wow, this person received a score of ninety eight… meaning this person only had two incorrect answers out of a hundred items…”
 
“Must be me.” Said one of the male students boastfully.
 
“You wish! The highest you could ever get is ten out of a hundred!” Another male student said in retaliation.
 
“And that's when you cheat too!” Everyone laughed.
 
The professor stared intently at the examination paper, turning it from page to page, to recheck it over, “It's true, no erasures whatsoever, I haven't seen these papers before… going through them earlier I wasn't paying too much attention at the actual results, I was looking at the percentage rates… amazing.”
 
“Who is it?” One student asked.
 
“It's…” His eyes squinted to see the name, “I don't know who this is… Jill Marie Minelli?”
 
The room's loud, obnoxious hollering simmered down almost at once, until it became so deafeningly tranquil. The professor looked over the students; no one was standing up to claim their spot. This came as a shock for him. This was a departmental examination, meaning it held the best scores throughout the university, this section was the last set of examination papers he had corrected, though due to his lack of sleep, he didn't pay much attention to the scores, now fully alert, he wanted to know who this mystery student was. With a score like that, they might have bigger chances of winning the competition.
 
“Jill, wake up.” Someone whispered a bit too loudly.
 
Professor Santos' eyes fell upon a slumbering female student with pearly, white skin, ebony hair covering most of her facial features, head atop the desk, her back heaving back and down rhythmically. Her seatmate was shaking her furiously to wake her up, accomplishing just that, her head rose slowly, eyes fluttering open, to reveal a pair of auburn orbs staring back at the professor, giving him cold chills down his spine. He had never noticed this student before, perhaps it was because she was reticent and introverted, she was, in fact, very attractive with the way her eyes blended so naturally with her snowy-pale complexion, lips of pink tone, opened widely to yawn.
 
“Are you Miss…” He looked back at the test paper to recheck the name, “Jill Marie Minelli?”
 
“He's talking to you, Jill.” The male student who sat next to her said irritatingly.
 
Jill's lazy eyes riveted from her seatmate to the professor in front, unnoticing the looks her classmates were giving her, her right hand pushed back the curtain of ebony locks that concealed some parts of her face, nodding in the process, “Yes, I am.”
 
“Did you know that you got a score of ninety eight out of a hundred on your midterm exam? I still haven't seen your preliminary exam, but I must say, I'm extremely shocked.” Said Professor Santos, examining the former sleeping student.
 
“I'm sorry if the score is so low, I could've done better if I reviewed for the exam, I was too busy with other subjects.” She said in a melancholy voice, still intoxicated by her sudden wake up.
 
Professor Santos swore to himself that he was nearing deafness. Did he just hear her say that she could've done better? That score was achieved without studying? He felt that this student could do much more, but ever since as a child he grew up nurturing strong doubt about every little tidbit, let alone this. Did she cheat on this examination? How could she? Her score is at least twice higher than that of the four students he called up in the top five. And he didn't take cheating lightly, he asked several interns to safeguard the classrooms he was told to proctor, his eyes were as sharp as knives, he could spot a cheater disguise in their subtle glances a mile away.
 
“Please stand up here, I'd like to address the five of you.” He told her.
 
Jill stood up, walking slowly towards the teacher's table, standing right next to Hazel, still receiving those gazes and stares of doubt from her classmates.
 
Hazel noticed this too, “I wouldn't be surprised… Jill was always the best, especially back in High School, she even beat the Valedictorian in Physics.”
 
Professor Santos looked at them, “We'll be the judge of that, Miss Mendoza.”
 
Hazel wanted to say something, but swallowed everything back including her pride, she leaned towards Jill, “I'm glad you're here, we'll knock them out.”
 
“Who the hell's `them?” She asked out loudly.
 
The professor looked sharply at Jill, his doubts were creeping up on him again, “Miss Minelli, you're the top one in this classroom and we've chosen you and the people next to you, as representatives of this University in the upcoming Intercollegiate Physics Duel.”
 
“Intercollegiate? You mean there's other colleges involved?” Jill asked.
 
“Yes, Miss Minelli, that's been the Department of Education's standards ever since the forties, although it's 2005, we need to find representatives of our university in the respective fields, I hope that doesn't cause you any predicament.” He informed her.
 
“What if I don't want to go?” She said as if she were challenging him.
 
This girl, he thought, was retaliatory in nature, but her scores were superior to her colleagues, she could be a wildcard but it seemed very difficult to force her to conform, “And why won't you join?”
 
Jill opened her mouth to reply vehemently but Hazel immediately interjected, “It's a voluntary competition, Jill, and if you don't want to join then you don't need to. I think we all could benefit from the extra credit points that accompany the honor we could bring this university.”
 
“Don't tell me that doesn't interest you.” Said the professor coyly.
 
Jill scratched her left forearm; “Professor Lyra already signed me up for the Extemporaneous Speech competition.”
 
“Oh, really?” He nodded, “So you're not only good in mathematics but also in English?”
 
“She's great in every subject.” Hazel commented.
 
“Especially in basketball.” Benjamin chuckled. Everyone who agreed with him laughed.
 
“If Miss Mendoza, a top student of mine, agrees that you're as great as they say you are, then I can't argue with that… however, pardon my skepticism, I need to see all of you…” He looked at a booklet on the table, “Oh boy, well, I was hoping to see all of you after class but I forgot the organizers of this competition are holding a meeting thirty minutes after our class. Then I'll have to settle with tomorrow… do you have any classes around 12:00 PM?”
 
“That's lunchtime.” Said Oliver.
 
“It won't take much time anyway, so see you all then.” He cleared his throat and checked his digital wristwatch, “What time does our class end?”
 
“Two-thirty.” Someone said.
 
“It's two-ten… alright, class dismissed.” He said standing up and gathering all his belongings before stepping out of the classroom.
 
Jill walked back to her seat to fetch her bag, Hazel followed her, “Where do you want to eat?”
 
“Mc Donalds, I suppose.” Jill replied, adjusting the bag on her right shoulder.
 
“Hurry up, it'll be crammed there if we lag behind.”
 
~*~
 
“Please fasten your seatbelts, we will be landing very soon, thank you for your cooperation and thank you for choosing Philippine Airlines, we hope you enjoyed your flight.”
 
Jacquelyn's ears could barely hear the clicking sound of the compact as she opened it, taking out the used puff, rubbing it against the foundation cake and patting it upon the spots on her face that reflected the light. It must be the jetlag, she thought. Turning her wrist horizontally to check the time, it had approximately been nine hours since her feet had contact with the ground, just a little more time… and she would be home at last. Thinking back to all her packages and luggage on the airplane, she mentally checked all the things she would give to her friends, relatives and most of all, her family. She had been planning on the neighborly party to once reunite with her loved ones. It's been seven years… but it felt like a million.
 
Pulling up her leather bag from the side seat, unzipping the top, she dug her hand inside, fumbling until she produced a wide envelope. She pulled out a picture, it was dulled on the edges and tattering slightly, four people smiled brightly. One was an elderly, old man dressed in a sweatshirt. The other was a beautiful, young woman with auburn eyes and snowy-pale skin, wearing a black blouse, the curved collar lined with white. A little, plump boy, hands pressed firmly against his waist, beaming with a great smile. And Jacquelyn, in her younger days, still in her old, white blouse and skirt uniform.
 
She brought the photograph up to her lips, kissing it lightly, pulling it back and observing it with angst and love filling her eyes. She hoped in the deepest core of her soul, that everything would be all right, that no one was ill or facing any difficulties. Her sister, she thought, was incredibly intelligent, she'd be the last person on Earth to deal with issues in academics, due to their grandfather being a former mathematics and philosophy teacher in University of the Philippines. The night before, she received several calls from her friends, wishing her a safe trip, they had promised to pick her up at the airport. She reminded them over and over to rent a large van to board all her packages. They were undeniably excited over the fact that they had presents from her.
 
~*~
 
The sun did not permit them any cool air today. Fanning herself furiously, the middle aged woman lifted the lid of the plastic container, viewing the contents of red liquid, shaking her head in disappointment, she called out, “Francis! I told you to add the gelatin first before the colored sugar!”
 
“Auntie Milan, you told me not to mess with the gelatin, remember last time?” The male house help came in with two plastic bags of Styrofoam cups and plates.
 
“Can't you handle a simple task? My God!” She brought her hands to her face to massage her temples, “It's been frustrating all day! I think I'm going to burn in hell if I have to deal with you all the time! Just hurry and cook the gelatin and then stack the plates and utensils on the table in the dinning room. I'm on a tight schedule, Maurice and Kenneth will be at the airport by now and we have less than an hour to prepare before Jacquelyn arrives, now please just do as I say and cook the gelatin now!”
 
“Yes, Auntie.” Francis' eyes dilated as he hurried to place the sacks of plates and cups down, hurrying into the kitchen, mingling with the other housemaids in preparing food.
 
Milan pulled out a chair and sat down, “If this goes on any longer, I'll die.”
 
A surprise party will be held in welcoming Jacquelyn's arrival, it has been seven years since they last saw the young woman; it would be relieving to know if she is well and successful. Ever since Jacquelyn's mother died, she had stood in as the surrogate mother of the family she left behind in the Philippines. She really had no relation with Jacquelyn's family but she owed a lot to Janice, their mother, who had assisted her during the toughest crisis they had to face in country. Now it was her turn to repay her for her kindness, taking her two youngest children and her aging father under her wing. It frustrated her to recall the past events, things she dared not to tell Jacquelyn about. Jill had picked up the most horrendous habits and practices over the years, she could not complain about Jill's performance in the university she attended, she was superb, according to a majority of her professors. It was the young girl's non-academic activities that caused her so much pain inside, if Jacquelyn were to find out, it would crush her, probably make her regret returning to their native home.
 
“Francis, get me my cell phone.” Milan ordered him to do so.
 
Francis looked dumbfounded, “But you told me to cook the gelatin.”
 
“Are you arguing with me, Francis?” She said in a low tone.
 
Francis flashed out of the kitchen and returned with a small cellular phone in his grasp, handing it to his mistress. Milan took the cellular and searched for a number through the arrow keys, punched enter and placed it against her ear, hearing the loud ringing sound, she pulled it back slightly. It had been several rings, no one was answering. She shook her head, this was a problem, the girl was not answering her cellular phone. This had been one of her habits of turning off the cellular phone so no one could find out where she is or had been. Either it was turned off or she was completely ignoring it.
 
~*~
 
“Your cell phone is vibrating.” The straw slipped out between Hazel's lips as her pinky finger pointed at the red cellular on the table, next to the untouched French fries.
 
Jill's eyes peered from the thin curve of her eyelids, glaring at the name appearing on the cellular phone's screen, indication of the person who was contacting her, “So it is.”
 
Hazel took a large bite out of her burger, chewing it as she spoke, “Then answer it.”
 
“It's just my aunt, probably to inform me about the party.” She said irritatingly, taking a French fry and eating it.
 
“You never mentioned any party earlier.” Hazel placed the burger down, “Is it Auntie Milan's birthday?”
 
Jill bit her lower lip, so hard, that the intoxicating taste of blood budded from the miniature incisions her teeth had produced, “It's not an occasion worth celebrating, let's leave it at that.”
 
She recognized Jill's riveting tone, that unspoken rage morbidly nurtured in her heart, it was better to not tamper with the hidden anger the young girl had and she knew who it was for too. Once in Philosophy class, they were given an assignment to release any hostilities toward any person they wanted in a poem, Jill's poem kept everyone silent, her hands crumpled the alternate sides of the yellow pad paper. The professor stared at her in silence, bearing a visible gap between his lips; he had commended her but left in temporary disbelief and morbid amusement.
 
If she recalled correctly, the title of the poem was Magnolia. Depicting how a magnolia's petals so soft and inviting could decay and die almost instantly. It possessed a deeper message that only a few close friends of the half Italian-descent, Jill, would be able to decipher. The petals of the magnolia represented her trust and love for a certain person and how that once unbreakable bond died immediately after an incident. She never revealed the truth, only sequences of her past, but Hazel could tell it had left an obtrusive scar, which could contribute to Jill's dark, almost suicidal personality. It scared her to think that one day all the anger building itself inside the young girl's heart would be sporadic and uncontrollable. An anger; she so passionately dedicates to only one person in this massive structure called Earth.
 
~*~
 
“Jacquelyn!” Kenneth threw his arms as high as he could, desperately trying to win her attention at the crowded airport.
 
She stopped pushing the cart of luggage and glanced subtly to each side, detecting the source of the person calling her name. The weather was humid, though sweat began to bead on her pale, pasty forehead; it was good to finally be home, in the warm embrace of her motherland. It was a feeling she could never exchange for all the money in the world, oddly, it was the reason why she left her home too. One last loud announcement of her name, she finally saw the male dressed in a tight, pink tube top, pleated, khaki skirt and high heels. An immeasurable smile planted upon her bright face, she exerted great force to push the cart before her, it was heavy but it would be worth the effort once her arms are wrapped around her flamboyant cousin.
 
Kenneth pushed aside the people in front of him, swaying his thick hips as he ran towards Jacquelyn, meeting her in a heartfelt embrace. He was happy to see his cousin again. It was because of her he was able to confess to his family of his preference in dressing up as a female and that undeniable attraction to the same sex he kept inside for so long. He was the first one to pull back and look at her head to foot. She was incredibly beautiful, even more beautiful than she was seven years ago. He clapped flirtatiously and squealed.
 
“You still look fabulous!” Kenneth placed his right fist against his hip, leaning toward it with equal force, it looked like he was feeling pain in that area but it was his way of showing confidence.
 
“I'd say the same for you!” Exclaimed Jacquelyn, observing how he had `evolved' since their last encounter.
 
Kenneth's eyes rolled, free hand smoothing out his long, wavy hair, “Can I help it if I'm born to be gorgeous?”
 
They both exploded in laughter, crisp, wholehearted laughing she longed for, the kind she shared with her cousins and friends, that frivolous human gift that warmed up her heart and soul. How good it felt to finally be home, it was not complete, not until she saw the rest of her family, only will that event bring her to peace. Hoping in the core of her heart, everything she had left behind was still there and doing well.
 
“So Kenneth—”
 
Kenneth brought up a finger, waving it to and fro, “Uh-uh, darling, I am now known as—” He twirled around, purposely trying to send the mini skirt to fly up, “Kristine!”
 
“Oh, I see, now it's a full package deal, huh?” She smiled nodding.
 
“But of course, darling!” His facial features softened into a look of disappointment, “However, I have to wait for the approval from City Hall, it'll cost me to permanently change my name, I guess that's the price you have to pay to be recognized.”
 
“You know what? Who gives a damn about the City Hall's approbation? If you want you want to be known as Kristine then so be it, it's your life and it's your name.”
 
Kenneth made a pout, “Aw, you're so sweet.”
 
“By the way, Ken—I mean Kristine.” Jacquelyn corrected herself, “How's everyone doing?”
 
“What are we still doing here? Let's get in the van, on the way to Auntie Milan's, we'll catch up on old times, come on!” He assisted her in pushing the cart, surprised to see there was another cart she had brought along.
 
It didn't take them a lot of time before they found the maroon van parked in the curve of the sidewalk, Maurice, the tubby, skinhead ran around to open the back of the van, they helped one another in boarding the boxes and luggage. Around ten minutes after placing all the packages in their respectful areas on the van, they, too, boarded the van.
 
“So, how was Japan, Jacky?” Maurice looked at her from his rear view mirror.
 
“It's a great place, Mau, but I much prefer it here.” Jacquelyn got comfy on the seat and lifted her legs alongside the sofa.
 
Kenneth crossed his arms, “There's nothing like home, Maurice. Though, I admit, I'd like to go Japan some time, become a dancer like Jacky.”
 
“Entertainer, it's not just dancing, believe me.” She said it so simply, though if they could read her mind, it was not as simple as that.
 
“Of course, darling, it's singing too!” Kenneth exclaimed, initiating a song himself.
 
“How many hearts did you break in Japan?” Maurice asked.
 
Jacquelyn shrugged, “I wasn't exclusive with anyone, a customer is a customer, that's my motto and I keep in mind so I don't fall bait to promises that won't come true.”
 
“Come on, don't tell me, you weren't attracted to any of them, I know business is business but still, to be surrounded by so many men! Ah!” Kenneth wrapped his arms around himself. “If I had rich, good looking men around me every minute, by the gods, I would be catering to their every need!”
 
“Yeah, but we're talking about Jacky.” Said Maurice.
 
“And are you implying that I'm a flirt?” He glared at the driver.
 
“I didn't say that, you did.” Retaliated Maurice.
 
“Uh… how's everyone?” Jacquelyn interrupted with intent to end the generating quarrel but with more want to know the latest news about her loved ones.
 
Kenneth shrugged, “You know, Auntie Milan's always mad at her new errand boy and everything else, she's never free from frustration. Eunice and Paula are both okay, did you know that Eunice just graduated with a Ph. D in Biology?”
 
“Oh… that's nice…” Her brightness had depleted and slowly morphed into an expression crossing between a smile and frown.
 
“Yes, I know! And Patrick is in Canada, can you imagine? After five years of visa denial, he's finally with his family.”
 
Jacquelyn tilted her head against her forearm, “How's my family?”
 
His lively expression decreased immediately turning into a questioning look, “Huh?”
 
“My family, Kenneth… how's my family doing?” She repeated with emphasis.
 
“Your family?” Kenneth had lost his garrulity.
 
“Come on, fill me in with the details, how's Jonathon?”
 
Kenneth found his smile again, “Oh you know!” He playfully patted her thigh, “He's quite… alive…”
 
“That doesn't tell me much, please, Kenneth, tell me more.” She pleaded.
 
“He's doing well…” Kenneth knew he was going to burn in hell for this, “So absorbed in his studies… always hanging out with incredibly industrious friends, such a thing could be influencing.”
 
Jacquelyn sighed inside her head but displayed a pleasant smile, “That's good to hear, very good to hear, how about my grandfather?”
 
“Your… Lolo?” Kenneth felt like Satan was gripping his sides, how he wanted to avoid her questions, she was completely unaware of how difficult it was for him to answer her, “Lolo Jerome?”
 
“Yes, how is he?” She asked.
 
Maurice avoided looking in the rear view mirror, if he were Jacquelyn, it would be painful to know the truth, almost world shattering to know everything. He sympathized Kenneth's position at the time being, begged for answers to questions that could alter the way Jacquelyn saw everything. She was so happy returning to the Philippines. If she only knew… it would be dreadful, she was entitled to know everything, but…
 
“Hey, guess who the welcome party is for…” Maurice teased.
 
Jacquelyn shook her head, “Oh no, I was planning to do it.”
 
Kenneth felt a wave of relief rush through his burning blood, for once he had to thank Maurice for his timely interjection, which was not often beneficial, except for this case. “Auntie Milan is fond of parties.”
 
“I know.” Jacquelyn smiled, “I'll tell her that I was informed thanks to your inability to keep surprises.”
 
“How'd you know it was a surprise?” Maurice inquired.
 
“Because, if it wasn't, then Kenneth would've told me earlier.” She told them teasingly. “Isn't that right Kenneth?”
 
“Oh… yes, so true, darling.” Kenneth took out his pink handkerchief to wipe off the sweat from his brow.
 
Jacquelyn peered out the window, seeing the tropical palm trees sprouting from the ground, the scorching sun making the black cement look like a large frying pan and tall buildings towering over the city, “It's been too long…”
 
Seven years too long.
 
*****
Notes: Lolo is the Tagalog [Filipino Language] word for `Grandfather.'