Fan Fiction ❯ Magus Institute ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Magus Institute
 
This story contains language, femslash, witchcraft, and some anti-Christian sentiments, all of which will appear later in the story. If you do not like to read stories with these elements, either read with an open mind or find the back button. This is also MY STORY, and I want all who would dare plagiarize to know that the Ninth Circle of Hell is preferable to my wrath. Thank you and please enjoy your trip to the Magus Institute.
 
`Thinking'
“Speaking”
Trance's Narration
 
Chapter 1
 
The Magus Institute is a dream of an earthy heaven for every rebellious teen's parent. The campus looks like something out of a painting, with many matching blue and white buildings placed in neat rows and perfectly manicured emerald lawns lined with bleach white sidewalks and spotted with tall, elegant shade trees. The students also look remarkably well-groomed in their well-fitting uniforms of pressed grey slacks, starched white dress shirts, and clean black blazers with matching leather shoes.
Of course, it is what you do not see that truly matters.
Trance Macalester tried to keep that in mind as she gazed resentfully out the car window at the hellishly picturesque landscape.
Her mother, a middle-aged woman with greying russet hair and tired blue eyes, chatted incessantly in the passenger's seat about the Magus Institute's academic greatness and its ability to turn the most errant children away from their disastrous ways.
`Which is such a huge concern, of course,' the blonde teen couldn't keep her bitter thoughts from echoing in her mind, `Especially since I'm such a horrid child that must be locked away before she brings more shame to the family.'
Her mother interrupted her bleak musings, “…they say Magus hosts concerts for local bands every Friday night! You love music; maybe you could get a job selling drinks or something.
“I play the guitar, mom. Maybe I could join one of the bands.”
Trance's mother snapped her mouth shut and twisted in her seat to stare at her daughter in horror. The teen eyed her mother for a moment before returning to the window.
Outside, a tall girl in the middle of a large group of people tossed her waist length jet lock with a brilliant smile. The girl glanced up as though she could feel Trance's gaze. Trance was instantly stunned by the sharp, clear blue eyes that seemed to pin her in place and steal all of her most closely guarded secrets. Panicked, the blonde struggled to look away, but the bewitching black-haired stranger released her first.
Now thoroughly unsettled, Trance turned to face the back of her mother's seat, her mahogany eyes staring blankly at the patterned blue fabric until the rental car pulled up in front of a large central building with a sign reading `Administration'.
Trance's father, who had remained silent since the beginning of the trip, put the vehicle in park and turned to glare into his daughter's eyes.
“Don't mess this up. I've worked too hard to pay for this school and pulled too many strings to get you accepted for you to go off and do something stupid to get yourself thrown out. Get you bags and go to the admissions office. It should be just inside the doors, and they should already have all of the papers they need.”
With that, he turned back and stared moodily through the windshield, his short blonde hair disheveled and thinning.
Trance swallowed her anger and reached for the door handle. Her mother stopped her, patting her head like a dog's.
“It's only for a year. Or maybe until you graduate, if you like it here.”
Feeling suffocated by the close confines of the vehicle, Trance bolted out of the car and slammed the door shut behind her. Her father popped the trunk and Trance pulled her bags out, barely getting the trunk closed again before her father gunned the engine and drove the car away.
The girl stood still for a moment, listening to the fading engine and the wind rustling in the trees. Then, picking up her bags, she hiked up the dozen or so stairs to the doors and walked into the air-conditioned building.