Fan Fiction ❯ Magus Institute ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Magus 3
 
Trance glanced around the fair sized dorm. Angel's belongings were scattered across the entire room, including the half that was supposed to be Trance's.
“Sorry about the mess.” Angel smiled wanly. “I'm not the greatest housekeeper.”
“Nor the greatest cook!” Alaric called from the hallway behind the young women. “She'd starve if it weren't for me and Keremet.”
“Shut up, Alaric!”
“I'm afraid the same is going to be true for me. I burn ramen and TV dinners,” ignoring Alaric's mirthful laughter, Trance returned Angel's smile. “I guess this means we can starve together.”
“Nonsense!” Angel heaved a suitcase onto Trance's bed. “It means that between the two of us we can beat the boys into cooking every night!”
Alaric groaned and threw a bag full of clothing into the closet. Keremet's expression approached something like a smile as he heaved the last bag onto the bed and sat next to it.
“New student?” a voice from the doorway called Trance's attention. A younger girl with rich brunette curls spiraling down her back stood leaning on the doorframe, one hand on her hip. Angel smiled and pulled the girl into a hug, kissing her lightly on the cheek. She turned to look at Trance, as if to monitor her response.
“Autumn, this is my new roomie Trance. Trance, Autumn. She's my girlfriend and part time backup singer.”
Trance paused, wondering if it was some sort of test, like Alaric's name and pendant had seemed to be. She became aware of Keremet's and Alaric's eyes on her and knew she had to speak.
“So…how long have the two of you been together?”
Angel's brilliant smile returned. “Two months.”
“And we've had to put up with them the whole time!” Alaric interrupted, placing his elbow on Trance's shoulder to use her as an armrest.
“You're just jealous because no one likes you enough to go out with you!” Angel stuck her tongue out at the redhead and laughed.
Autumn eyed Trance suspiciously. “What grade are you in, Trance?”
“Eleventh. You?”
“I'm a sophomore. And Angel's a senior. But apparently, no one told you that people from different grades can't room together.”
Trance glanced at Angel. “No, I didn't know that.”
Angel's smile never faltered. “I have quite a bit of influence with the administrators. My family members have been attending this school since its foundation, so the school board has been known to overlook my actions.”
Autumn subsided, though she still didn't look pleased.
Keremet rose suddenly from his seat on the bed. “I need to get back to work,” he briefly hugged Trance, Angel and Autumn and waved at Alaric before vanishing into the hall. A few seconds later his beeper sounded, echoing through the corridor.
Alaric glanced at the clock on Angel's dresser and shrugged. “Sometimes I wonder about him. I should be going too, though. I need to get everything ready for the meeting after dinner.”
“I have things to do for the coven before the meeting, too. See you later?” Autumn pulled Angel close, but her angry, dark blue eyes never left Trance.
“Of course. Won't you be in the commons for dinner with us?”
“No, I'm not really hungry. Bye love.” Autumn pecked Angel on the lips and grabbed Alaric, pulling him out of the dorm before shutting the door.
Angel lifted one eyebrow and flicked a strand of long black hair behind her shoulder. “If I didn't know any better, I would have to say Autumn's jealous that I picked you as my roommate and not her.”
Trance smiled uncertainly but said nothing. She grabbed her suitcase and started pulling out her belongings, piling them on the bed beside her. Angel cleared a small space and perched on the bed across from Trance. Seeing Trance pull out bottles of shampoo, Angel commented, “You can keep those in the bathroom attached to this dorm room, but the actual showers are down the hall. We only get a toilet and a sink in the rooms.”
Trance looked up, wide-eyed, “Are you serious? Isn't this a co-ed dorm, though?”
“Guys and girls have separate shower rooms, and there are individual stalls anyway. Not that it helps,” Angel's white teeth flashed in a wicked grin. Trance weakly returned the smile.