Fan Fiction ❯ Marauders Beginning ❯ Summer of Beginnings ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Warnings: Hmm....OC's, AU (though not in to to much so.) mild Shonen ai to the point that its more of just best friend type vibes.
Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter characters, but I do own Romy, McCloud, Silver, and the occasional background student.

A/N- This is the first book of what will be a long series, as I'm writing a book for every of the Marauders years, one for the time they leave school, and my version of the sixth and seventh year in Harry Potter's time. I started the planning of this after the third book, and have had the basic plans since the end of the fourth one. Most of the stuff from book five therefore is ignored(unless I could fit it in and not ruin the plot) and the sixth book is completely void-I haven't read it-though I am finely deciding to do so. This book's first draft is finished, on paper, but suggestions to changes are accepted, and it'll be slow going in computer updates as I have newer works being written as well.

Chapter One- Summer of beginnings
Summer 1970


A small boy of eleven sat staring out the window of a train at the expanse of fields and trees passing by outside. He had honey brown hair, amber eyes, pale skin, and was dressed in his Sunday finest-even though it was a Wednesday morning. His mother, a willowy woman with flowing black hair and genital features, was fast asleep in the seat in front of him and his father was talking to an elderly woman a few rows back. The man had stopped to say hello on the way to the bathroom and had been dragged into a conversation. The seat beside the boy was empty, but a cup was sitting in the cup holder on the armrest and a book was laying open on the seat cushion, showing that someone belonged there.
The young boy was use to trains, having spent a fair amount of time on them. His family had been moving around England since they'd come to the country when he was seven. He knew it was his fault that his parents- once well off citizens-had trouble holding down a job or staying in one town for long. Nobody ever said as much to his face, but with his 'special' circumstances, he'd learned to read people at an early age.
Resting his head against the glass of the window, the brunette let out a long sigh. A few seconds later he heard the sound of someone running down the train isle, stopping by the empty seat beside him.
“Rems, you have got to come see this-there's a pure blood girl charming dainties the next cabin up!” The excited voice drew the brunettes gaze from the window to the boy standing near his seat. It was Romulus, who, like seated child, had brown hair;however, Romulus had blue eyes and wasn't half as pale as the amber eyed boy. Otherwise, they were mirror images in looks-which wasn't all that surprising considering the fact that they were twins.
“So, mom charms muffins all the time.” The paler boy stated blandly.
“Come on Remus, don't be a spoil sport. She's turning them into living things, like spiders with cream filling!” Romulus gushed, practically glowing.
Remus rolled his eyes at his brother. Romulus was the more active of the two, but he'd been even more hyper since they'd learned that Remus might be going to Hogwarts with Romulus this school year. Hogwarts was one of the best schools out there for people like their family, and while Romulus was pretty much guaranteed entrance, Remus had certain things 'wrong' with him that might keep him from going. It was a wizards school, not a freak show.
“You go watch her then, Romy, I'm not feeling like walking around the train right now.” Remus said softly.
Romulus faltered in his quest to get his twin to go see the 'spider dainties'. “Your not still tired from Saturday are you?” He asked, voice also softened, giving the other boy a concerned look.
Remus shook his head. “Not really, just a bit nervous.” He looked down at his hands. “This person offering papa a job is a really rich pure blood-don't you feel kinda...”
“Like bums or something? I know. But mum says their real nice-and we get to stay in the guest house while papa works there. It'll be like home, before...” Romulus trailed off, looking slightly sheepish.
Remus smiled at him. “It's okay, Romy.” He said almost sadly.
Romulus looked ready to say something else, but was stopped by a hand falling on his shoulder. “Sit down Romulus, the trains only a few minutes from the London station.” Mr. Lupin, the twins father, a man with a thick Cajun accent, friendly blue eyes and a mop of unruly brown hair, said to his son.
“Okay Papa.” Romulus picked up his book off the seat next to Remus, then sat down. Mr. Lupin sat down in front of him-and beside Mrs. Lupin-waking up his wife to tell her they were almost at the station as well. Remus smiled at his brother, then returned to staring out the train window.
~~~~``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````````````````````~~~~

Mrs Eliane Potter was a lonely old woman. Her husband, James Potter, had passed away a year ago and her large estate a few miles outside of London had become an empty home. Her three children had long since grown up and moved out, their own kids to care for, leaving her alone with her house elf Nesmen and two servants most of the time. So, when she'd hear about the Lupin family, she was gracious in her offer. Mrs. Lupin was a renown Herbologist-though retired-and Eliane had read two of her books, so the old woman was looking forward to having a nice lady around to talk to. Mr. Lupin had offered to do cooking and cleaning around the house, as well as do repairs if need be. Eliane, in turn, would let them live in the small, on grounds guest house, and pay them more then the job entitled.
She also hoped that, with two kids his own age around, her youngest grandson would visit her more often.
Sitting on the porch of her Victorian style house, she watched as her new guests arrived by taxi with child like anticipation. Directing her house elf to hurry inside and fetch the butler, she stood up and used her cane to make her way off the porch to go greet the Lupins.
Stepping out of the car as Eliane approached, Mrs. Lupin smiled pleasantly at the older woman. “Hello, Mrs. Potter I'd presume?” She said cheerily, extending a hand towards Eliane.
“Oh please do call me Eliane,” Mrs Potter said, shaking the younger womans hand, while Mr. Lupin and the twins stepped out of the back of the taxi
“Of course, Eliane then,” Mrs. Lupin smiled, lighting her beautiful face up stunningly. “You can call me Margaret then, if you'd like.” Waving towards where her family was unloading their trunks from the car, she added. “My husband is Dominique Lupin, and the boys are Remus and Romulus-Remus is the paler one.”
Eliane nodded, having already known as much from the conversation she'd had with Mr. Lupin the week before, but accepting the proper introduction. “It is a pleasure to meet you all.” The old woman stared to hobble towards the male Lupin's. “Just leave your trunks by the drive, I'll pay your fair and you can all come inside from tea and biscuits-Sandy here will get your bags.” She waved towards a blond haired wizard approaching from the house.
Mr. Lupin looked a bit put out-he was here to work after all, but his sons perked up visibly. “Thats okay Mrs, we can get our own bags.” He said gruffly.
“Nonsense! No work until your set in-now come have tea.” Eliane waited for no reply or argument, signaling for the butler-Sandy Hill-to get the trunks she started for her home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~`

Remus sighed, happily for once, as he stripped out of his day clothes to get ready for bed. Mrs. Potter had told them all about her huge house and property while feeding them cookies and biscuits, before sending him and Romulus to go off and explore. He knew she continued to talk to their parents for a long time after, but it wasn't important. He and Romulus spent two hours running through the three story, three wing house and had been about to go outside to explore when they'd been stopped by Nesmen the house elf. He'd told them that they were to go to the guest house with their parents.
The rest of the day was passed by moving into the guest house and learning the house rules. Which, as normal, stated that Remus wasn't to go wandering off on his own without telling someone where he was going and how long he'd be gone. He was use to this rule, and not complained-even though he had an animalistic urge to race around the grounds settling in his gut. His inner beast obviously like it's new territory-though hopefully not to much.
“Rems, have you seen...” Romulus trailed off, staring at his brother's back from the doorway of Remus's new room. Remus flinched at the voice and self-consciously threw on his night shirt, hiding the scars on his back, which had caused his siblings distraction. Coughing, Romulus shifted on his feet. “Have you seen my new pajama pants?” He asked.
“No.” Remus replied a bit harshly, crawling onto his bed.
“Oh, okay.” Romulus hung his head and left the room, closing the door behind himself.
Remus sniffled slightly into his pillow. He knew that this summer was somehow different then any other-not just because of the new location-but no matter what, one thing would always be the same. Something that hadn't changed since he was cursed at age four. He'd always be a freak, a stupid mangy werewolf.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Questions, comments? Review.