Fan Fiction ❯ Masks We Wear ❯ Birthday plans ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Cyclops and Jubilee belongs to the X-Men. The X-Men belong to Marvel. I own nothing.
Telepathy = telepathy
Thoughts = thoughts

Jubilee looked around. It just wasn't fair. She just had to get her buddy something. His birthday was next week for crying out loud. How was she going to pull this off? She didn't want him to expect anything, especially not any of the booby traps she was planning for the box.

As Jubilee was peering around the corner, she felt some one tap her on the shoulder. She squeaked and turned to see a bemused Scott Summers. "Hey Jubilee, what'cha up to?" Oh shit! Ok, maintain Jubes, maintain. He doesn't suspect anything yet. No reason to tip him off.

Scott looked at the flustered girl with a small smirk. Jubilee was finally able to pull herself together, when she noticed the smirk.

"What's so funny?" She snapped irritably.

"You," was his reply. "I just tapped your shoulder and you act like you've seen a ghost."

Jubilee smiled sheepishly. She had almost blown it. "Sorry 'bout that."

"No biggie. What are you up to though? I haven't caught you snooping around in a long time."

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh Maaaaaaaaaaan! Just maintain Jubes. He won't find out anything about what you're getting him if you just maintain. "I'm just about to head to the mall for a bit. And you know how Professor X doesn't want us going any where alone, so I was looking for some one to go with me." Jubilee was proud of herself on the way she handled the question.

Scott prided himself on his ability to read people, and right now he just knew that his buddy was hiding something. "Want me to go with you?"

Jubilee blinked a couple of times. If she said no, he would really know something was up. If she said yes, it would bring a whole lot of questions that she would have to skirt around. She really disliked it when people lied to her, so she tried not to get in a posistion to have to lie to anyone. In most cases, she could just get by without telling either a lie or the whole truth. In any case there seemed only to be one answer. "Sure, let me get my purse."

As they drove to the mall, Scott decided to pick Jubilee's brain. "What are you looking for this time?"

Jubilee shot him a measuring glance. "Ooooooh, a little of this, a little of that. I'm mainly just browsing."

"This browsing doesn't have anything to do with next week, right?"

"It might, then again, it might not either." Judging from Scott's face, Jubilee decided the score was tied 1-1.

Scott wasn't shocked that Jubilee had seen through that one so fast. She could be diabolically clever at times. He smiled exitedly. "What'cha planning on getting me, Jubes?"

"Not tellin'"

"Please!"

"Nope!"

"Pleeeeeeeeeasssssssssse Juuuuuuuuuuubiiiiiiiiii!"

"Scoooo-oooott, I can't believe you. You can wait until next week.

"Pleeeeeassssssse Jubi, Pleeeeeeeeeassssse!

"Anyone ever tell you, you're as tenacious as a pit-bull?"

"No, but I think that I'll take it as a compliment."

Jubilee just shook her head and tried to keep him from noticing what she was getting him for his birthday.

A/N: Sorry it took me so long to get this up.