Fan Fiction ❯ Mistakes ❯ Sora ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mistakes

Pairing: Riku/Sora

Warnings/Author's note: Sora's POV. This is boy/boy. If you don't like it, don't read it. Got it? I own Kingdom Hearts, and say it's a very good game. I don't, however, own the rights to said game. I make no profit from writing this, it just makes me feel good. Reviews are welcome, of course. Flames will be dealt with accordingly. *Pulls out bag of marshmallows* I come prepared.

Looking back, I should have realized what he did when he did it. Looking back, I should have chosen to be with him, instead of searching for him. It all started with the stupid paupu. If Selphie hadn't asked about it, I wouldn't have asked him, and he wouldn't have mistaken my intentions. Of course, I'm guilty of the same sin: I thought we were just pals. I should have known better. Nothing was ever that easy when Riku was involved.

When I asked him about them, he laughed. I should have guessed that he would. After all, wasn't he the only kid on the island that could get Wakka cowering like a little girl? Wasn't he the one that beat all three of them up when they had the brilliant idea to take him on three on one? Of course he was. So at his laughter, I left. I just couldn't handle whatever he thought of me for asking about it. When I saw him later that day, on our way home, he looked different. I'm just not sure how.

"Sora," he said, tossing the fruit at me. I just stared at it blankly, not quite comprehending the importance of his action.

"I thought you wanted one. You know, for Kairi." His words were strained, as if he were covering up something. Now I know what it was. Hope, desire, sadness…a myriad of feelings that I couldn't comprehend.

He smiled, then, that innocent boyhood smile. Not that Riku has ever been particularly innocent. And he left. Walked off home, I suppose. I just stood there, staring at the stupid fruit, then I tossed it off the bridge, onto the beach. The next day, I went to look for it, but the waves had carried it far from the island.

As I am on my way to fight him, and no doubt win, I can't help but wonder: what if I hadn't been so obtuse? Would we still be rivals? Or perhaps we would be something more…at this rate, I'll never know.