Fan Fiction ❯ Myth ❯ Myth ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Myth

It was an ordinary day just like any other for the pupils of South View High but for three friends it was about to get very weird. The friends were Joey Wilson who at six foot was the tallest of the three but who's cloths were always two sizes too big, he looked like your typical skater kid in black, white and the usually array of chains and rings with a fair amount of tanned muscle showing under his usual T shirts and a head of spike black hair and dark brown eyes, people always said he could have been a good footballer but he'd always dismissed the idea. Dexter Phillips who in appearance reversed everything of Joey. His body was lean and clearly good for running, always preferring smart trousers and contrasting sleeved shirt with his green eyes and bleached blond hair reaching past his cheek which always had a habit of getting in his way at the wrong moment and Katerina Jade the typical anti feminist girl, preferring boys cloths over her slim but curvy frame with short blond hair with a vague hint of blue washed through it. Her make up to was always minimal except the black eyeliner which she used to accentuate her crystal blue eyes which always gave her a striking but attractive appearance. All had been born on the same day seventeen years and three months earlier. They'd met on the first day of kinder garden and had been friends ever since through all the trials life had thrown at them but as they finished lunch in the school cafeteria and headed for the library they had no idea their lives were about to be torn apart.

The explosion seemed to rock the ground they stood on as the sound of a thousand screams filled their ears soon replaced by the crashing sound of concrete. A moment later the ceiling above them collapsed and the world went dark.

Dexter felt his conscious drifting on the edge of his mind before it finally snapped back like stretched elastic. He sat bolt upright and instantly wished he'd stayed unconscious. His head pounded like nothing he'd ever experienced before as if someone was beating on his head with a hammer, he gripped his temples in his hands trying to massage the pain away. To his surprise it seemed to work, slowly at first but then quicker till the pain was no more than a dull throb and then gone. He let his hands fall to the ground as he gingerly opened his eyes, what he saw shocked him more than the headache, he'd been expecting to see the school or at least what was left of it but instead all he saw was forest stretching out below him in all directions away to the horizon. Looking around he realised he was sitting on a grassy hill top in the middle of nowhere surrounded by fir trees. He noticed Joey and Kat lying close by both still unconscious their clothes dirty and torn in places, he looked down at himself and realised he was the same. A groan indicated Kat was coming to and he turned in time to see her bolt upright gasping for air before burring her head in her hands and cursing loudly.

"Oh my fucking head. Shit that hurts." She shouted. Dexter walked over and knelt by her.

"Don't worry it'll pass in a minute or two, just massage your temples for a bit." He replied positioning her fingers correctly. She was quite for a minute except for the occasional breath sucked in through gritted teeth till finally she found the pain subsiding to a bearable level. She opened her eyes and looked at Dexter but before she could ask him anything she noticed where she was or rather where she wasn't and her question was forgotten.

"Where the fuck are we?" She exclaimed looking round. "What happened to the school?"

"I don't know, I woke up just before you did." Dexter said shrugging. "I never been anywhere like it before, but I'd guess it's got to be Canada or some where up north, judging by all the trees."

"I don't think we're in Canada." Kat spoke with the voice of one who's neck is being stretched as the look upwards and when Dexter turned he saw she was looking up.

"What makes you say that?" Kat pointed into the sky.

"That." She said with a mixture of awe and confusion. Dexter looked up and almost fell over. The two large bright moons hung in the afternoon sky looking so peaceful that Dexter had had to say they didn't look out of place which could only mean they were out of place.

"Ok, where the fuck are we?" He repeated Kats earlier statement.

"No idea but it defiantly isn't Canada. Do you remember what happened Dex?" She asked suddenly looking him in the face.

"Not really, I remember a bang and things falling over then something hit me and the next thing I know, I've woke up over there with that awful bloody headache. I guess something exploded or there was an earthquake or something and the building collapsed." He looked at her fearfully for a second. "Do you think, we're dead?" Kat thought about it for a second before shaking her head slowly.

"Nah, how likely is it we'd wake up in heaven with a headache, besides your bleeding." She said pointing to small gash on his upper arm he hadn't noticed, the small trickle of blood was almost at his elbow but the wound didn't seem to bad. He pulled a tissue from his pocket and wiped his arm before covering the cut and tying a temporary tourniquet round it with a loose piece of fabric torn from his shirt.

"So what's going on then? I mean, if we're not dead then what on Earth has happened to us?" Joey's voice cut in from behind them, they turned to see him still lying on the ground one hand rubbing his forehead but his eyes were open and staring into the sky.

"Judging by those, I think `what on Earth' may not be an appropriate expression." He said slightly sarcastically.

"Come on Joey, you can't be seriously suggesting what I think you are suggesting?" Dexter said looking round again. "Just cos there's an extra moon doesn't mean." He stopped himself as he realised what he was saying.

"Well I guess it's a possibility, or maybe a parallel Earth. Either way that's the most probably explanation of where we are, personally I think how we got here is more important and what we're going to do next." Kat spoke trying to be serious but inside she didn't feel it, she felt a fool for even suggesting it but there didn't seem to be any other possibilities.

"Some how, I don't think any of us are going to be able to answer your first question Kat and as for what we do next, I suggest look for sings of civilisation cos I don't know about you guys but I'm getting a little hungry." Joey said, he stood up and stretched out before scanning the horizon.

"What's that you guys?" Kat said pointing to a spot in the forest several miles away.

"What's what?" Dexter asked following her finger.

"I see it, something reflecting the light. It's not much but I guess it's all we've got to go on." Joey looked at his two friends as he spoke as if seeking approval. Kat nodded but Dexter seemed less inclined.

"Well hang on, what if some one comes looking for us?"

"Don't be think, for one if we are on some other planet who is gonna come looking for us, finding shelter, food and water should be our priority. If it is a village or something over there, maybe they can tell us where we are, maybe this has happened to others before.Anyway I'm going whether you're coming or not, I don't want to freeze when night comes." Joey said matter of factly.

"He's right you know Dex. Come on let's not have one of your macho who's in charge squabbles now ok." Kat said giving Dexter her best cute little kitten look.

"Alright. We'd better get going then, in case you hadn't noticed the suns already getting lower in the sky and I'd rather not be walking through that forest an night, though personally I don't think walking through an alien forest during the day is that good an idea either." Dexter shrugged and headed off down the hill towards the forests edge as Kat gave Joey a worried looked but he only shook his head and out his arm around her for reassurance before calling after Dexter.

" Hey genius, a little to your left, unless you wanna miss the village by a good mile or so." Joey couldn't quite here Dexter's response but he didn't think it was thank you.

*

Joey was worried though he didn't want the others to know, especially not Kat. They'd set of from the hill top over three hours ago and they still hadn't reached the apparent civilisation, it made him wonder if they hadn't been mistaken after all. He thought back to the view they'd had and tried to imagine how far it really was but he realised it couldn't have been more than four or five miles, admittedly it hadn't been easy going through the thick woodland and dusk had fallen quicker than expected the trees cutting out much of the remaining light making it almost as dark as night. All of them had scraped knees and elbows scrambling over fallen logs and pushing through dense brambles, at least all the plant species they'd come across had been from Earth, which he hopped ruled out the alien planet theory but since that apparently left them on an alternate Earth lost somewhere in space time Joey didn't find it encouraging. He just wished someone really clever was there to explain it to them, so far all he'd been able to come up with was some sort of rift was cut in reality by the explosion but that just seemed to comic book to be real. So deep in thought was he that had he not actually walked into Dexter he would have never noticed the metre wide split in the ground stretched across their path disappearing off in each direction.

"Hey watch it man, you trying to push me down that?" Dexter said looking back at him.

"Sorry Dex, I wasn't watching where I was going." Joey replied, trying to look apologetic.

"Yeah, well considering where we are, it might be a good idea to start watching." Dexter sighed and looked down over the edge of the gap. He inhaled a deep breath and blew it out before turning to the others. "That's gotta be two hundred feet easily." Kat looked down into the darkness, just able to see the water churning deep at the bottom, she felt her head spin and her legs go wonky as she started to topple forward but Joey grabbed her at the last second.

"Woah there, are you trying to kill yourself?" He asked, helping her sit a safe distance from the edge.

"Sorry, just got a little vertigo." She said, a sheepish grin on her face. Joey shrugged.

"Hey, everyone's afraid of something. I'm just surprised you never told us." He said.

"I'm not normally, it's just there was nothing to hold on to and I just lost control. Anyway never mind about that, I think I've just found our village." The others looked at her as she spoke with surprise.

"Where?" They both chorused. She pointed across the ravine to a small flicker of light only a short distance away, they watched as it slowly grew larger.

"I guess it's a fire or something someone's started now it's almost dark" Dexter said stepping back from the edge.

"That's all very well Dex but how do we get to it and how do we know it's safe. For all we know it could be cannibals." Joey fixed Dexter with his best stern gaze but he wasn't watching and as he suddenly began to run Joey realised what he was planning to do. "Shit, stop man." At that moment Dexter jumped and landed clear across the other side.

"What are you worried about, it's not that wide. Come on, there's no other way to cross it, anyway you can almost step across it." Dexter grinned surprised at the concern his friend showed considering the short distance of the jump till he saw Kat's nervous glances at the gap. "Come on, it's easy. You can jump the furthest of us all it's hardly a challenge." Joey looked into her eyes and smiled before speaking.

"He's right you know, it's the only way. Besides think what's on the other side. Warmth, food and maybe some answers." Kat nodded, a look of determination on her face, then she stood and dusted her self off before suddenly running full pelt at the gap and jumping hard. She cleared the gap by a good metre and barrelled into an un-expecting Dexter the two falling in a heap on the ground laughing. Joey landed next and proceeded to help them to their feet. Kat gave them a silly grin.

"See, I said it was nothing." Dexter said still laughing.

"Indeed. Now shall we find out what that light is." Kat dusted of her clothes again and then began walking through the forest in the direction of the fire, Joey and Dexter looked at each other and shrugged before following her.

The light turned out indeed to be a large fire burning in the centre of a ring of eight small wooden houses, almost like log cabins in design they were each about twelve foot wide and eight foot deep with thatched roofs of fir tree branches, the windows were glassless but each had a sturdy door hung on huge metal hinges. It was now almost completely dark and it took the three friends a few seconds to adjust to the new light but when they did they noticed a group of about ten people huddled round the fire staring at them. Joey gulped then held up his hand and began approaching the group slowly, Dexter and Kat on his flanks.

"Hi there. Err, we come in peace." He said, hoping it didn't sound as lame as he thought. The group round the fire suddenly seemed thrown into action as the men drew swords from the sheaths at their sides and the women scurried inside the largest of the houses. Joey and the others stopped suddenly holding up their hands.

"Woah, friends friends." They all protested. The group of armed men seemed confused suddenly dropping their weapons to their sides. One of the group, a tall man with white complexion and heavily gelled black hair swept back approached them, he was well built and at least seven foot something making even Joey suddenly feel very small. The man seemed to notice the youngsters discomfort and sheathed his sword though not completely Dexter noticed.

"You are friends? What proof do you have?" The mans voice was gruff but kindly and something reminded Kat about her father, a sudden pang ran through her as she thought she might never see him again.

"You speak English, excellent." Joey sighed, he'd been worried his greeting had offended them in some language they spoke.

"English? We speak Atlantian youngen. I have no idea what this English you speak of is." The man gave them a confused look. "Where do you come from? What are you doing in this land?"

"Actually we thought you might be able to help there." Dexter said stepping forward. "You see, we just woke up on a hill several miles from here after our high school fell down on us."

"Ah, you are wizards then?" The man interrupted gripping his sword handle again.

"What? Wizards don't be foolish there's no such thing." Dexter replied glancing nervously at the mans sword. Kat put an arm on him.

"How do we know there aren't wizards in this world? What is this world anyway?" As she spoke she glanced hopefully at the man in front of them.

"What do you mean, what is this world? It is the Earth. How could you not know that?" The mans eyes darted between each of them unsure of what to make of this strange encounter. "You'd better come by the fire and explain your story." The man turned and led the way back to the fire side and gesturing everyone to take a seat. The three enjoyed the warmth for a moment for until that moment they hadn't realised how cold it had become, finally Joey looked round the group and began to speak.

"I think I'd better tell you are story and then maybe you can help us. We come from a world also called Earth. In fact parts of it look very similar to this, except we have only one moon."

"Moon?" One of the gathered men asked. Joey pointed to the two bright objects in the sky, now even clearer than during the day they almost filled half the sky. Kat noticed how close they seemed she felt she could almost reach out and touch them. "Oh you mean the night sky twins."

"If that's what you call them here, yes. Anyway that's why we figured this isn't our planet, anyway we were on our Earth at school when suddenly there was this big explosion and the building started falling down around us. The next thing we know, we woke up on this grassy hill somewhere in that direction with one hell of a really bad head ach." He said pointing over his shoulder."Anyway, we spotted this place through the trees and thought maybe someone here could help us get home and that's basically it." He looked round the assembled group hoping for some kind of response. Finally the man who appeared to be in charge spoke.

"Well, I don't know about your world, but this one has plenty of strange happenings what with the wizards guild ruling everything so I guess your story isn't as wild as some we've heard. As for how you got here, my guess would be one of those foolish power mad lot tried something to big for him, or her to handle and it back fired. Anyway if you really are from another world, then only one of those idiots are going to be able to send you back." The man scratched his head and looked round his small village. Dexter sat forward to ask a question.

"Tell me, what do you know about science?"

"Si ence? What is that?"

"You know mixing chemicals together and stuff."

"Oh you mean alchemy, that exists here, but it is much a sub branch of magic these days, most of the powerful wizards have managed to harness the power of word and gesture." Dexter listened as the man spoke before nodding as if he understood something.

"It's like that theory that went around a few years ago." Dexter said trying to avoid the expression Joey was giving him.

"What theory?" Kat asked.

"Well, I read this article by someone who said, man once believed in magic religiously and there was plenty of evidence that suggested they used it, effectively to but as science developed and was able to do more things, magic was slowly forgotten especially when science surpassed what magic could do but he said if men had concentrated on magic instead it would have evolved and become the prominent base for human society instead of science. I guess this world is proof of that."

"Get serious, you got that of one of those stupid internet mags that cranks write to keep themselves busy between medical treatments." Joey said looking at Dexter.

"Well I think our current situations proves one of those cranks was right doesn't it." Kat retorted, Joey opened his mouth to speak but shut it again, he had to admit she had a point.

"If you three want to get home, my suggestion would be to go to Darasius. It is our capital and where the most powerful wizards live."

"Thank you for the advice but how do we get there?" Joey said sitting back from the fire. The man was silent for a minute before he spoke.

"I will provide you with a guide who can lead you to the city but that can wait till morning. We were about to eat when you appeared would you care to join us." The chief smiled as he saw the children's face's brighten at the mention of a guide and positive glow when he mentioned food.

"Thank you again. We would be very grateful for both your generosities." Kat said afraid her two friends might say something to screw up the suddenly much brightened situation. The chief smile broadened and waved his hand in the air, as he did so the women who'd run away appeared form the house carrying wooden plates of what appeared to be kebabs of some kind. They were also accompanied by several more men and woman and Joey realised the larger house was probably a kitchen of some kind and the others were bedrooms or other functional rooms.

The other people joined them at the fire and everyone began to eat, it was a quite affair for the most part except the noise of chewing but as Joey scanned the new comers his gaze rested on one girl, about his age with long red hair down to her waist which seemed almost to burn as powerfully as the fire, she looked up for a moment and their eyes met briefly but she looked away though not before Joey saw her eyes burned as red as her hair. Finally the meal was finished and people began dispersing to different houses till only Joey, Dexter, Kat and the leader of the village were left.

"Well if you're finished, you'd better come with me and I'll show you to a bed but first what are your names, I just realised I never asked?"

"My name is Joey and this is Dexter and Katrina, though we all call her Kat." Joey said pointing to himself and his friends in respective turn.

"I see, well it's nice to meet you Joey, Dexter, Kat. My name is John." Kat gave John a funny look.

"What really, just John?" She exclaimed before blushing."I'm sorry, please don't think me rude but I was kind of expecting something more exotic for someone from a world full of wizards." John just shrugged.

"For someone named Kat, your name isn't exactly common place is it?" Dexter whispered as he walked past her. John showed them into one of the houses which they found had steps leading downward under the ground and into a large man made cavern with rooms carved into the sides and a narrow corridor leading off one side, Dexter gave a low whistle. "Impressive."

"Thank you Dexter. These are your rooms. Should you need anything in the night there will be a guard at the entrances." John said showing them to three rooms next to each other. Joey gave a sheepish grin.

"Actually one question. Is there a bathroom round here?"

"Well it's not a bathroom, but there is a toilet and washing facilities down the corridor there. Men are on the left, women on the right. Well good night you three." And with that he walked off across the cavern to his own room. Joey looked round at his friends.

"Well, if you'll excuse me. I have to go make a pit stop so I guess I'll see you in the morning, good night." They others bid him a good night and retracted to their rooms. A few minutes later Joey returned, he approached Kat's door. "You ok?"

"Yeah, just wondering how lucky we were to find such nice people."

"Mm, I get the feeling they may have done more for us than we realise you know."

"What do you mean, it seemed fine out there."

"I'm not really sure myself, it's just a feeling. Well, see you in the morning." Kat nodded back and then rolled over on her straw mattress and drifted off to sleep. Joey smiled and popped his head into Dexter's room but he was already asleep. "I swear, that boy could sleep on a bed of glass during a nuclear war." He said to himself before returning to his own room and settling down for the night.

In his own room John sat with his friend Poy.

"Do you believe them?" Poy asked with a curious grin.

"Well it's like I told them, we've heard and seen weirder things before. They certainly aren't from anywhere round here anyway, otherwise they wouldn't have been walking around in these woods unarmed like that. It's a miracle the forest goblins didn't get them."

"Hmm, I wonder. You don't think they're the ones from."

"No don't go there. That's just a fairy story to scare kids. Besides if it is real then who knows what it means for the world. War that's what, and death and destruction."

"But if they are, then they'll set it right again, and I hardly think we need you bringing the fairies down on us with a remark like that." John only huffed at Poy's remark.

"If they are, who says they don't cause it just by appearing. They'll all want their power."

"Well, whether they are the travellers of the myth or not, I think it is our duty to help them and so do you or you wouldn't have taken them in. Who are you going to send with them?" Poi said seriously.

"Keyeta."

"Keyeta, your own daughter?"

"She's been dying for some adventure for ages now and she's old enough, besides maybe she'll relate to them better being their age."

"I guess you trust them more than I thought. We'll make a true believer of you yet John." The man laughed as he stood up to leave. "I still can't believe your parents called you such a strange name."

"Good night Poy." John said with a sigh. He spent a few minutes thinking over the strange meeting till he saw Joey return from the wash rooms and stop to check on his friends. "Well they're loyal to each other at least. If they really are the Three, it's gonna mean some big changes." He watched Joey enter his own room and settle down, then blew out the candle and went to sleep.

*

Kat stood by the ashes of the fire in the early morning and yawned. She shivered slightly in a chill breeze but ignored it enjoying the feeling of dew damp grass between his toes, she looked back briefly at her shoes left by the door to make sure they were ok then decided to see if anyone else was up and about. She didn't have to look long before she came across another girl of her own age sitting on a log by one of the huts running a wet stone over the blade of a narrow slightly curved sword reminiscent of the blades the ninja carried. The girls hair was a dark orange red and seemed to shimmer as the early morning sun caught the highlights, Kat caught herself mumbling quietly about the lack of a decent conditioner when the girl looked up at her and smiled. This caught Kat slightly off guard and she found herself short of words, however the other girl didn't.

"Hello? You're one of those strangers that turned up yesterday." She said in a sing song voice an innocent grin on her face.

"Er, yes. May name's Kat. I saw you at the meal last night."

"That's right, your friend kept looking at me. He's kind of cute." The girl giggled.

"I hadn't noticed." Kat said trying not to sound jealous, and failing terrible.

"You like him then?" The girl giggled again.

"No, not like that, I've just gotten very protective of him over the years. I guess he's grown on me more than I realised but I'd say the same about Dexter." Kat looked about her suddenly as if she expected Joey or Dexter to be standing behind her, they weren't and she breathed a sigh of relief. "What's your name anyway?"

"Keyeta. I am John's daughter."

"Really, you don't look much like him." Kat said surprised.

"Well I'm adopted. He found me in the woods when I was only a few days old and took me in. I expect my real parents were killed by the forest goblins." So mater of fact was Keyeta's response, Kat wondered if she was making it up.

"Forest goblins? What."

"Are forest goblins." She interrupted. "There like green creatures about two foot tall, though there very fast and incredibly hard to spot in the tree tops. There really vicious and are all to fond of human, when they can get it but they don't dare come near the villages. Frankly it's a miracle you survived your walk in the woods yesterday if you were unarmed. I guess thy thought you must be powerful wizards to walk so freely like that. They're dangerous but not very smart, actually they taste pretty good themselves if you cook them right." Keyeta added with a mischievous grin.

"Yuk. No thanks." Kat looked round the village again. "So what do you do round here?" She asked watching Keyeta finish sharpening her sword.

"Well until today, nothing. I was too young to hunt myself or be a guard or anything so I've just been in training."

"What's different today. Do you graduate or something?"

"Nope, I'm going to be your guard to Darasius. I've been dying to get out of here and explore for ages and you are my excuse." She stood up and flexed the sword in her hand before twirling it several times then swinging it down at the log she'd been sitting on. The blade cut clean through like a hot knife through warm butter, Kat's eyes raised in surprise."I think that's sharp enough don't you." Keyeta said looking at Kat who only nodded, mouth hanging open, Keyeta leaned over and gently closed it."I guess they don't have swords in your world then?"

"Of course we do, I've just never seen one that sharp before." Keyeta gave Kat a funny look then gave one half of the log a hefty kick with the heal of her foot leaving a good sized dent.

"It's only bay pine. Not very strong or anything. I wouldn't waste the edge on a hard wood it would only blunt it again." The red haired girl gave Kat a friendly, almost happy go lucky smile then sheathed her sword and walked off across the village, almost skipping she noticed. Dexter appeared a moment later from the building behind her looking rather wet and dressed only in his trousers rolled up to his knees. He caught the odd look she was giving him.

"I went to have a wash and then found there were no towels, I didn't want to walk around naked though." He said shrugging. Kat gave him an accepting nod. Joey popped up a second later from another house closely followed by John who waved at the two of them and gestured them to join him at the fire place.

"Good morning you two, I hope you slept well?" John said smiling.

"Yes thanks." They said together, as Dexter hurriedly slipped back into his clothes despite still being slightly damp.

"Well, as I already told Joey, Darasius lies due south of here." He said pointing in the direction the sun was rising. "It's a good few days walk from here but my daughter Keyeta will accompany you to show you the way. I will also provide you with some weapons and supplies."

"Weapons?" Dexter asked, trying not to sound nervous.

"Forest goblins. There about two feet high but they like to eat people apparently" Kat said enjoying the petrified look on his face though inside she didn't feel much better though Keyeta's performance with the sword reassured her a little and she knew Joey had taken fencing for a year at some private club or other, in fact as she thought about it, she couldn't remember why he'd quite, something about an accident with another pupil but the rest was hazy.

"You have been talking to people, that is good." John said nodding.

"I ran into Keyeta up here when I woke up. She told me about them." Kat said feeling smug. Joey however looked a little concerned.

"There not our only problem though. There are the odd thieves and bandits around and John was telling me there's been a bit of trouble for the last few years with some rebel wizard and a bunch of his followers terrifying travellers and stuff but as long as we stick to the main roots we should be alright."

"Yes, the guard patrol them fairly regularly." John tried to look reassuring at Dexter and Kat who both now looked a little nervous.

"What have we got ourselves into Joey?" Dexter said looking at his friend but Joey only shrugged. At that moment Keyeta appeared again carrying several bundles of cloth which she laid on the ground by the fire and unfurled one by one. Inside each was a sheathed sword, similar in design to Keyeta's and a wet stone for sharpening them. Joey watched her intently as she worked unaware of the hurt look Kat was giving him.

"These you should keep with in reach at all times. Keyeta will be able to give you a few short lessons while you travel which should be sufficient." John said picking each blade up and handing them to their new owners who promptly strapped them to their sides. John nodded with satisfaction, then turned to the four men standing behind him each holding a small pack. "And these are your other supplies. Food, clean water, a change of clothes and a cloak for bad whether, flint and a few other essentials." The three friends smiled at him realising it was almost time for them to leave.

"Thank you again John. You really have been most kind, taking us into your village and now giving us these things and even your own daughter as a guide. I don't know how we can repay you."Joey said, bowing his head in respect.

"Do not worry about it, I have a feeling you will have you chance to repay me but for now, just look after my daughter.

"Hey!" Keyeta exclaimed. John smiled and patted his daughters head.

"I'm sure she will do the same for you." John held out his hand and the three shook it in turn before being helped on with their packs and turning to look at John again. Keyeta already had her pack on as she stood before her father. Suddenly she hugged him tightly, he put his arms around his adopted daughter. "I am proud of you my daughter."

"Thanks dad." She said letting go her embrace and joining her new travelling companions.

"Well, good luck you four and I hope you find the answers you seek and your way home. Keyeta, return to me safely. There was an awkward moment of silence between the two groups before the smiled at each other and Keyeta, Joey, Dexter and Kat turned southwards and left the village, finally calling back their good byes as they passed through the tree line and onto the narrow dirt path that led towards their destination.

*

Dexter's legs felt like lead, they'd been walking for hours without a break and the sun was now directly overhead heating the air among the trees to an uncomfortably humid temperature. Both boys had removed their shirts and pushed them into their packs long ago and even Kat had tied her tee shirt up leaving her stomach exposed to the odd cooling breeze that occasionally blew by. Keyeta however seemed unfazed by the heat despite wearing a fairly think shirt under armour plates covering her chest and outer arms but the others put it down to experience. Suddenly the forest opened up into a wide clearing, a small brook bubbling down once side. Joey wondered if it flowed into the deep ravine they had discovered the previous day but Dexter broke his train of thought.

"Lets rest for a bit aye guys? I dunno about you but I'm not used to this." Keyeta looked at Dexter with a hint of annoyance but after a second she consented. After all she was in no rush, enjoying the freedom. She unloaded her pack setting it on the ground and sat on a clear patch of grass while Kat and Dexter went to sit by the stream. Joey took his pack off and paused a minute then drew his sword to examine it. Keyeta looked up at him.

"You know how to use that thing?" Joey thought she almost sound like she was daring him but he just shrugged. "Fine, let's find out then." She stood up and drew her own sword and approached him slowly, Joey raised his sword in preparation. The first strike came from Keyeta with out warning but there was no speed or power behind it, just a testing blow. Still she was surprised when he deflected the blow with no apparent effort. "Ok, maybe you do know a few things. Let's see." Dexter and Kat had stopped paddling their feet in the stream now and turned to watch the match, though Kat seemed more interested.

The next succession of strikes from Keyeta were faster though there was still no power behind them but again Joey showed no apparent difficulty in blocking and deflecting them and even put in a counter strike of his own. Keyeta, surprised seemed to become a little angry at this, that some outsider could keep up with her, even if she wasn't trying. Dexter too was surprised and began taking a closer interest. Kat was surprised as well but more interestingly she noticed Joey looked almost surprised himself, as though he hadn't expected to block the last attack. Maybe he'd though Keyeta was going easy on him or something but Kat shrugged it off as Keyeta went for her third barrage of attacks. This time she was much faster, like a professional contestant in the Olympics and her blows seemed to have more power but to everyone's surprise Joey matched her strike for strike blocking each attack and delivering a counter which she in turn blocked and with each counter, Keyeta seemed to get more angry and turned up the pace. Dexter suddenly realised his mouth was hanging open as he watched the two teenagers reduced to blurs as they circled each other attacking, blocking and countering each other with more and more furry. Suddenly it seemed as though Joey lost his footing as he stumbled backwards and fell to the ground Keyeta standing over him sword point trust to his neck as she panted heavily, sweat pouring off her, Joey to was sweating his face a mask of confusion and fear, then it seemed like Keyeta found her voice.

"How? How did you learn to fight like that? I should have beaten you easily, I should kill you, you are a danger if you fight that well." Keyeta had venom in her voice but Kat rushed forward to Joey's side.

"Wait, stop. You beat him he's no threat." Kat protested.

"Hah, if he hadn't tripped then, he would have taken my head off.Tell me where did you learn to fight like that?"

"I, I don't know. It was like, I could tell where you were going to strike and where you would be open for an attack." Joey started to shake his head but stopped as the sword tip brushed his neck.

"That is the true skill of a swordsman. Only a master of the blade like my father or me can fight like that but it felt like you were holding back. To be that good you would have to be." Keyeta suddenly felt the cold, sharp metal of a sword tip pressed to her own neck.

"Drop the sword love. I don't want to hurt you, your father helped us greatly and we're supposed to be friends but you kill my pal there and I'll splice you open". Dexter's voice was shaky but determined and Keyeta slowly released her grip on the blade letting it fall to the ground. She felt Dexter's blade draw away to and she turned to confront him, the look of fear on his face told her she'd made a mistake. She looked at Joey.

"You really didn't know you could do that?"

"No." Joey said, getting to his feet and picking the two swords from the dirt. He handed Keyeta's back.

"Then it's true, the rumours last night. You really are them aren't you?"

"Them what?" Kat asked.

"I wasn't supposed to say but. There is a ledged, or really a myth that three lost travellers from a distant place would appear just as a great catastrophe occurred in our society and that an evil shall rise from this event but the travellers would vanquish the evil and restore peace to the land." Keyeta spoke as though reciting from a book staring into the distance.

"And what make's you think we're the people in the ledged, apart from their being three of us and that we're lost and from another world." Dexter said trying not to sound patronising. Keyeta began her monotone commentary again.

"And these three will be known for their skill with the blade, the element and the light." She finished. Dexter looked at her.

"So you're saying we're all genius sword fighters." He said waving his sword about wildly before loosing grip on the handle and letting it fly through the air and embed itself in a tree. "Shit."

"Actually, that has always been a point of discussion whether each would share the skills or each would only posses one. I guess it's the later." Keyeta said trying to sound mater of fact.

"Come on, you don't really expect us to buy this do you?" Kat said looking questionably at Keyeta. "I mean surely it's just a myth."

"Evidently not, and if it really is true then you and Dexter had better watch your hand movements until we find out which of you controls the Element and which controls the Light."

"What are the Element and the Light?" Dexter said.

"The Element, is magic, the ability to affect the world with the power of thought. The light in it's true form has not been scene in ten thousand years, it is the users ability absorb light and to cast it as a great beam of energy from their hands, it can destroy anything in it's path. Most have never achieved more than the ability to destroy a single building but a true master could wipe out cities, armies, mountains and maybe even an entire planet. A very dangerous form of magic and one all people of this world live in fear of. They say the dark wizard has been trying to learn it his entire life and will stop at nothing to get his hands on it. Let us hope he does not discover you are hear before we reach Darasius." Keyeta looked around her suddenly as if she was expecting him to pop up that second.

"Wow. Ok so how do we work out who has which?" Kat asked suddenly, with a determination in her voice.

"You believe me?" Keyeta looked at the three friends.

"Hey, we've been pulled into a whole other world, I hardly think this can be counted as weird now, it all seems inevitable." Joey replied smiling reassuringly.

"Yeah, if we're gonna be on a strange and dangerous world, we might as well have some abilities to protect ourselves." Dexter said laughing. Keyeta smiled then began to dig through her pack before producing a piece of paper that looked like it had seen better days.

"There's a man, he lives on the outskirts of Darasius, he's is very wise in the ways of all magic. If anyone could tell it would be him, and he can instruct you how to use your skills." Keyeta said running her finger over the now unfolded map.

"Can't you show us?" Dexter asked, sounding hopeful.

"No, each person control their magic in their own unique way. Only he can teach you to unlock the power inside."

"Do you have any magic Keyeta?" Kat looked closely at Keyeta waiting her answer but she seemed to hesitate before responding.

"I do not know. I have never been assessed. By training I am a warrior of the sword and that is the path I have chosen. I know a few basic tricks that everyone knows but nothing more."

"Like what?" Kat asked. Keyeta sighed then pointed her finger at a small pile of fallen twigs on the ground.

"Ignite!" She shouted. To the others it looked like a tiny ball of flame the size of a pea shot from her finger and struck the twigs which seemed to crackle for a seconds but failed to catch letting the sparks die leaving the wood slightly black in patches. "It's not very powerful but on dried grass it's enough to start a fire. You just have to concentrate on the magic being focused in your finger then let the summon word focus your mind to it's purpose."

"Can all magic be done like that?" Dexter said still staring at the twigs with wonder.

"No only very basic stuff and it's not very powerful. Utility magic, no good for defence but helpful if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with few supplies."She replied. "Give it some practice, you should be able to do it to but be careful what you aim at. It maybe weak but it'll still hurt." Dexter and Kat nodded slowly their minds already off somewhere else trying to master the spell. Keyeta watched for a minute as they wandered round the clearing waving their arms about before looking back at Joey, who seemed more interested in his sword.

"You fell over on purpose, didn't you?" She said trying to look into his eyes.

"I thought I was going to hurt you and I didn't know what to do. It was all I could do not to actually hit you, I was really scared." Joey blushed slightly.

"Hey, don't worry. If you really never knew you could do that."

"Well I sort of expected something but not that. I did fencing a few years agoand was on the competition team but during a practice match some of the boys who hadn't made it and had been learning longer than I had, ganged up on me. I injured one of them really badly, and the others were covered with cuts and scars, Those present said I was like a wild thing fighting all six of them at once. Of course after that I couldn't be in the team so I gave up." Joey finished what he'd been saying and found Keyeta was now only inches in front of him. Suddenly the clearing seemed to explode with sound and Joey found himself lying on the ground, Keyeta atop him.

"Sorry." Dexter's voice called but Joey didn't hear him, he was to busy looking onto Keyeta's eyes his cheeks flushed the same colour as Keyeta's hair though she to was blushing. "Hey you two, get a room." Dexter said looking down over the other two who promptly scrambled free from each other and stood up straightening their hair and clothes.

"What was that bang?" Joey said trying to drain the blood from his face by thinking of gruesome medical operations.

"Me." Replied Dexter cheerily. "I think I overdid it a bit."

"Is Kat alright." Joey said looking her over concerned.

"I'm fine thank you but it was pretty close." Kat gave Dexter a savage look. Keyeta shook her head.

"You were trying the Ignite spell. There's no way something like that should have caused such a big explosion, it's only supposed to make a spark." She looked over Dexter's shoulder at the small crater of singed grassless soil.

"Yeah. I just pointed my finger and though of forcing the fire out and bang, this fireball the size of a football shot across the clearing and just exploded".

"What's a football?" Keyeta asked.

"It's a ball used in a game, you kick it about, hence football. It's about so big." Kat said indicating the size of a football with her arms. "Guys love it, but most of us girls can't understand it."

"Very strange. Anyway it still shouldn't have been that powerful. You're magic must be very strong to cause that. I'd be careful for a while, you don't want to blow us or yourself up. Wait until we get to the city, then we can find out what power you truly wield." Kat suddenly spoke up thoughtfully.

"I couldn't get it to work, what do you think that means."

"It's ok, it took me a while too. I was surprised Dexter even got it to work so quickly let alone with that much force. It just means your general magic isn't very powerful. However it does raise a much more important and potentially dangerous point."

"What?" Joey said suddenly worried. "You mean she's"

"Yes. It means you're probably the master of the Light Kat." Keyeta said trying not to sound to nervous. "Or mistress rather."

"And what does that mean, why is it so dangerous?" Kat's voice was sounding more and more shaky.

"Because it means the most destructive force in the universe is now in your hands, and if the dark wizard gets hold of you, he'll bend that power to his own will. He'll finally conquer the world and we can't let that happen."

"So what do we do now? Go on, go back to your village?" Joey said looking back along the path they'd travelled.

"No we must go on to Darasius. In fact now we must get there faster, for we must get Kat to Darasius as soon as possible before someone else can get their hands on her power. We will travel as far as we can during daylight then camp for the night. After that we just have to keep on pushing. If we really go for it, we can probably be there in two and a half days."

"Why the rush, I mean I understand the potential problem, but what's in Darasius?" Dexter asked.

"The high council and Queen Tatyania. They can protect us till we get you back home." Keyeta said. Joey shook his head.

"If we're here, then it means your myth, is coming true. If it is then surely the rest will come true. It can't be avoided it's our destiny. Maybe you should tell us all of that myth."

No, fate is inevitable but you can always change your destiny. You're journey here was fated but the future here is not set and neither is our destiny. We can only hope that fate doesn't interfere to much. As for the rest of the myth. The only bit I left out, is this. You're coming is supposed to be heralded by a great catastrophe. I just hope it has nothing to do with Kat's power."

"You mean, if this dark wizard gets control of her. In the village you're father made it should like he was no big threat though." Joey said putting an arm round a frightened looking Kat.

"At first he wasn't, but over the years his power grew and his influence spread out. The high council under Queen Tatyania has managed to keep him in check but for how long no one knows. Those who study the darker arts grow powerful quickly but they sacrifice much for their power." Joey nodded at this.

"Ok, we'd better get moving then, sod's law predicts that this Dark Wizard fella probably knows or will shortly know of our presence here. We have to just watch our backs ok. Keyeta you lead, I'll bring up the rear. Try and stay close." The group shouldered their packs again and after checking everything was in place, set off once again, heading south for Darasius and what they hoped would be a way home, though now it seemed like it would mean more problems. As they began to walk, Keyeta called back to Joey.

"What's sods law?"

"It's an expression on our planet. It means if something can happen that will fuck up your plans for something, then it will. Usually at the most inconvenient time possible." He replied.

"Oh, ok. You must live on a very strange world."

"Not as strange as this one."

"To you maybe, but this is normal to me."

"I'm not sure if I'm envious or not but I'm looking forward to seeing Darasius. A city full of wizards should be interesting. I guess it'll be like a huge Harry Potter story." Dexter said.

"Harry who?"

"Never mind." Kat forced herself to laugh but she didn't feel amused just scared.

"I'm beginning to think we should have stayed on that hill top." Kat said turning back to Joey.

"Don't worry Kat. We'll protect you, besides we were lucky to meet the right people early on. Maybe we'll get to Darasius without any trouble." He gave her a comforting smile and she smiled back before turning to look once again at the path in front of here. A path that seemed to be becoming more dangerous by the second. She had no idea how they'd ended up in this strange place but however much she'd liked it when she'd arrived, now all she wanted was to go home. Ahead and behind her, the others kept a careful watch all round for anything that moved but it all seemed clear. Maybe they would be alright after all Joey thought to himself.

As the four trudged along the path to the south, a lone figure was making it's way north towards the dark castle or Thornguard. Poi looked at the sun in the sky. It was already midday, he had to hurry or the four children would be too far ahead to catch.

*

It was night now and the small group had camped down for the night in a small clearing. They had set small fires round the edge of the trees and had decided one should keep a watch out at all times.

Joey looked at the three sleeping forms lying on the grass before settling down on a spare log left beside the fire. He sighed deeply as he stared into the flames as they leapt and crackled. He felt someone sit beside him.

"You ok?" Keyeta asked softly. Joey looked at her a moment before looking back into the flames.

"No. I was thinking of home. You know I've know those two since birth, I can tell you what their dreaming right now but they barely know me."

"What do you mean?"

"What they know about me, it's all lies. The way I feel, the way I act it's all fake."

"Why. What are you hiding from them?"

"When I was little my father used to hit me and my little sister. On day he hit her and she fell, down the cellar steps. She was killed, I was so angry I couldn't control myself, I picked up this rolling pin and just started hitting him. When the police came, his face was just a bloody mess. He survived and was put in jail. I was put into therapy for a while but even now I still wish I'd killed that basted. I told them I'd had to go visit an ill relative in France and my sister had gone to boarding school. I was twelve then. Keyeta looked at Joey saddened.

"You poor kid. At only twelve."

Over the years they've forgotten but inside I still feel the hate. My soul is black Keyeta, I feel the darkness inside like this dull ache. But here it's different, the rage is still there but now it only makes me feel stronger. When I was fighting you I could feel it driving my moves." He turned to look at her suddenly. "When the others go back, I want to stay here. I actually feel like I belong for once."

"What about Kat and Dexter?"

"I'll miss them and they'll miss me, but they'll go on with their lives but I really don't want to go back. I'd rather die."

"Don't say that Joey. There's lots to live for even when it doesn't seem that way."

"Like what?" Joey asked.

"Like this." Keyeta said throwing her arms round him and pressing her lips to his. When she broke the kiss Joey only sat in stunned silence, he pressed his fingers gently to his lips. Keyeta smiled coyly."Sorry but I don't like seeing you depressed. I thought maybe that would cheer you up. Maybe you should get some sleep, I'll keep watch for a while." Joey stood, still unsure if she really had kissed him.

"Thanks." Suddenly he seemed to recover his voice. "Don't tell the others what I told you, ok." She smiled.

"Sure, and if you ever feel like you need cheering up again, you know where to come." She winked at him as he turned towards his empty sleeping bag.

"Sure." He said cautiously. He stopped again. "I supposed you don't have Cadburys on this world." He dug in his pocket and pulled a slightly soft milk chocolate bar from his pocket. "I know it doesn't quite repay the kiss but…" He handed her the bar before walking over to his sleeping bag and climbing in.

Keyeta spent a minute examining the blue wrapper before she worked out how to open it. Timidly she sniffed it before shrugging and biting of one of the pieces and chewing thoughtfully. She stared at the bar in amazement before biting off another large chunk of the bar. She would have finished the whole thing off in another bite had she not decided to save it. She didn't know if Joey had anymore of these Cadbury things but she wanted to savour the taste, however after five minutes the temptation became to much and she finished off the rest of the bar looking disappointed at the empty wrapper. She wondered how anyone who came from a world that had such extraordinary food could not want to return. Though in reflection she decided she would have preferred another kiss. When Dexter finally came to relieve her she pulled her sleeping bag up beside Joeys and snuggled down next to him. She'd developed quite a soft spot for him she realised and she didn't know why. She'd never been short of suitors in the village since she was fourteen but she'd never been attracted to any of them but Joey, it wasn't even his looks she just felt compelled towards him. She sighed and closed her eyes to sleep.

*

As the sun had risen so had the group washing in the nearby stream that seemed to follow them through the woods and preparing for another day of travelling. Dexter had even prepared a quick breakfast of mushrooms plucked from a tree that Keyeta had said were edible and a little of the meat from their packs. Then they were walking again though all were doing so on stiff legs, even Keyeta who had to admit she hadn't walked so far in a while.


It was as the sun reached the second quarter of the morning sky that trouble struck. One minute they were walking through a shady pass of trees and the next they were surrounded by people who seemed to drop from the trees like apples in the summer. All four teenagers drew their weapons and Dexter pointed his finger at one of the closer men.

"What do you want?" Joey said, trying to sound as brave as he could, though even knew he could use his sword he doubted he and Keyeta could take them all and he was worried for the others.

"Your lives." One of the larger men said.

"Why, what have we don't to you?" Kat said unable to keep the panic from her voice.

"They're just bandits Kat, but if we identify them to the high council they'll be punished so they have to kill us." Keyeta replied readying her sword."

"Smart girl you are but put down that sword before you hurt yourself. I promise we'll make it painless." The man said.

"Yeah right, let's see how painless this is." Dexter said before shouting. "Ignite!"

The ball of fire rocketed from his finger and barrelled into it's target blowing him from his feet and incinerating his skin, he's scream only lasting a second. Dexter and Kat seemed to freeze at this, Dexter shocked at what he'd done, he hadn't expected to kill the man. Meanwhile Keyeta and Joey began laying into the bandits, walking in a circle round Kat and Dexter in an effort to defend them but as they fought off one another attacked and though their attacks were weak, their defence was strong. Joey saw and opening and struck cleanly removing his attackers head letting the body fall at his feet. This only enraged the others and suddenly they all charged and Dexter and Kat found themselves fighting an attacker as Keyeta and Joey did their best to tackle the rest. Suddenly another figure appeared in the fray and with a flash of silver felled Kats attacker and Dexter's a second later before joining Keyeta and Joey. The three attackers proved too much for the bandits and as a seventh member of their group fell, they fled away through the forest.

As the others tried to catch their breath Joey looked at the new comer. He was a sixteen year old boy dressed smartly in metalic blue trousers and a matching jacket over a white sleeveless shirt. His hair too was blue but his skin was pale, a stark contrast but his eyes were the most shocking, a deep red that seemed to burn in his face. The flash of silver that Joey had seen turned out to be the silver head to the boys cane, shaped like a icycle it, it's edge seemed razor sharp and as Joey looked he realised the cane to was silver but tarnished a metallic black with something. He also noticed the boys features were visibly different to those of Keyeta, which he presumed meant he came froma long way away.

"Thank you for your help, er." Joey began to say.

"Eyece. My name is Eyece". The stranger said.

"Well thank you for your help Eyece. You are a powerful fighter."

"Thank you, my grandfather trained me to fight with all my ability but my true skills lie in my ice magic, and the little shadow I know."

"Ice magic I can guess, icycle blasts and so forth but what is shadow magic?" Kat asked curious of the new stranger.

"You have not heard of it? I guess it's not that common. It is the ability to harness shadow, to blend with the darkness use peoples own dark emotions against themselves." At this he glanced briefly at Joey with a meaningful look and Joey felt like the somebody had suddenly looked right through his soul. "My abilities in this field are very limited though, I have had no formal training you see."

"We don't come from this world, so we know very little of magic I'm afraid." Kat announced.

"Not from this world?" He looked them up and down.

"Actually, only they are not from this world, I am. I am Keyeta daughter of John, master of Kenlorn."

"Kenlorn, I have not heard of it before but I am a stranger to these parts myself. I still do not understand what you mean not from this world though." He said addressing Joey again.

"We come from a parallel Earth, we think magic brought us here, we don't know though. We are travelling to Darasius to see if they can help send us home."

"A strange tale. I too am heading for Darasius. My aunt sensed there was great unrest in the world so I have come here to find out what is happening. It is obviously fate that brought us together, those bandits are a nasty bunch but you fight well yourselves." Keyeta started to speak but paused.

"Eyece, you seem trust worthy. Are you aware of the myth." She said.

"Of course, isn't everyone."Eyece replied.

"These three are the travellers from the myth. This girl has the power of the light inside her. We must get her to Darasius before the Dark Wizard finds her, will you help us."

"The three from the myth, but surly not. It's only a myth not a real tale." Eyece almost laughed

"No, they are the Three. I have seen their power, power they did not know they had."

"Then they really are from another world."

"Yes. Dexter here can cast an ignite spell as powerful as a fire mage's inferno blast."

"That blast was an ignite spell? Seeing that blast is what brought me here, I assumed it was one of the Dark Wizards minions." Eyece fixed them each with his gaze before looking back to Keyeta. "Yes I see it in their eyes, they are not from this world. So the myth is real, then I will join you. If you really are them, then our whole world is at stake."

"Thank you again Eyece. My name is Joey, and this is Dexter and…" Joey began but Eyece interrupted him.

"Katerina. I have studied the myth." He said. The others looked shocked, even Keyeta.

"Our names are in this myth?" Dexter said with as much shock as he could put in his voice.

"Yes, if you study them closely, the light bearers name is hidden among the words."

"You've seen the original scroll?" Keyeta sounded impressed.

"No, just a copy of the original. My grandfather has one. I have been in their care since my village was attacked by the Dark Wizard when I was a youngen. It was my uncle who crafted this for me. It's design helps channel my shadow magic so the staff becomes an extension of myself." He said proudly. Keyeta looked about.

"You know we should be going, those bandits could come back with reinforcements." She said.

"Yes, we should go on. We must get the light bearer to Queen Tatyania as soon as possible." The group shook hands then re-shouldered the packs discarded during the fight and began to walk along the path, keeping their eyes peeled for the bandits while they exchanged stories with Eyece.

*