Fan Fiction ❯ N.E. ❯ The Survivor ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
 
The Survivor
 
Pain.
 
It hurt. It bled.
 
Then I blacked out. That's all I remember.
 
There were screams and gunshots…
 
And then silence… Nothingness… and…and…
 
*Cough* …oh no!…
 
*Cough* …Can't…
 
His eyes bust open with an amazing force, and he gasps for air, but gets nothing but a mouthful of nothingness. His eyes get dry, as he coughs, and covers his mouth trying not to breathe in the toxins that would end his being.
 
BREATHE!
 
He looks around, as to take in his surroundings, and finds nothing. He is in a universe of white; a purgatory of some sorts. He knows this from all of the classes he had had in his past: This was the infamous Non-existence-- The universe which exists between all universes, is is the gap which separates them. His world's hell. Sadly, this is it, there is no heaven, it is only physical death, and then spiritual non-existence, as your soul becomes a physical being in the nonexistence, wondering forever as a zombie, which would disappear upon leaving the non-existence.
 
Oh god… he thinks to himself, I think this is the Non-existence! - The eternal purgatory after physical death!
 
This is now his fate. He had always accepted that he would be sent here after death, but never did he expect it to be before his time; never expected it to be because of a bullet; never expected to be a victim of war.
 
This is Farrem, more known as “Rem.” He is only eighteen, and had just finished school. He stands five feet and nine inches tall, and weighs only one hundred seventy pounds. He has a head of bight faded natural red hair, and hazel eyes. He also has 2 very small horns on his forehead. He wears a white long sleeved shirt, and large pants. He is pretty skinny, but not anorexic skinny.
 
I need to get out of here…
 
He can feel his life slipping, his body being torn up by the hostile plane. He still holds his breath, in a futile attempt to survive. Three hours are all he has until he will become tied to the world. He tries to scream, but he can't hear himself, and he doubts anyone else could.
 
I'm going to die here! He screams in his mind. I need to escape! Dear god, I can't end this way!
 
He tries to struggle out, but nothing happens. His limbs lock to his sides, and he begins to rotate, and struggles more. This speeds his rotations up, and he gets dizzy, not being able to stop. He feels the urge to vomit, and finally begins to slow down. He comes to a stop, but no longer has a sense of up and down. He looks around dazed, and throws up. As soon as it leaves his mouth, it disappears, leaving him back in nothingness and alone.
 
And that's going to happen to me in less than an hour…
 
He gives up hope, and stops holding his breath. I give up. I'm just going to die anyway… I'm already starting to fade… I feel weaker… My clothes are being destroyed… I guess this time you lose Rem…He thinks to himself. He feels his flesh burn, as it decays on the bone, and the toxins infect his insides.
 
Farrem! A distant voice screams, and he sees someone floating near him.
 
A girl.
 
A pretty girl!
 
The girl stands at a height of five feet and four inches. She is wearing nothing, but looks to be at least eighteen years old, if not a year older. She has her arms open, and has a welcoming beautiful look on her face. She has dark purple hair, and has very light purple, borderline pink eyes.
 
Unusually, she has no horns, which perplexes Farrem. He has never seen someone with no horns. He has seen people who file them down so that they don't have them protruding, but even then you can still see the bone on the same level as the skin She, however, has none. She does, however have pointy ears, which he also has never seen… She is the most beautiful thing he has ever seen.
 
Farrem… she says drifting closer to him.
 
Thanks for caring, whoever you are, but it's too late… Farrem thinks, closing his eyes.
 
Are you still here? Farrem thinks to himself. He attempts a sigh.
 
She is now in his face. She says his name again.
 
Farrem…
 
How do you know my name? Farrem thinks, but she cannot hear his thoughts.
 
Come, child of the existence, she says, in a faded, echo-y voice. It too is beautiful on the utter silence. He begins to push his body closer, until he lies in her arms.
 
She hugs him, and he feels warmth. His body stops stinging, and his organs stop melting. He can't move his arms, but she kisses him, and holds her mouth over his. He opens his and then, as if magic, he can breathe again. Oxygen pumps through his veins, and the toxins disappear. As long as this stays, he can survive.
 
Only two hours ago had he awoken in this hell, and he was somehow, magically saved. And by this goddess of sorts. He closes his eyes in order to enjoy this life saving kiss. He still cannot move, but it seems that he can survive forever. Somehow all his requirements for living are being fulfilled by this kiss. He can breathe, he feels as if he is also sharing her somehow immortal energy source, he isn't on the verge of crapping himself anymore (he can only hope this his her doing, he doesn't want to feel sick later.)
 
This goes on, and this image begins to fade, and there is a flash of men standing over him. He tries to hold onto her, but she lets go of his numb body.
 
NO! He screams as he tries to move, and breaks the hold on his body, reaching out for her hand. I don't want to leave!
 
Don't worry, Farrem…it is not the end… you will see me next time…
 
BUT I- He gets cut off, and lies in a hospital bed, reaching toward where she was. Tears fill his eyes, as he screams in the pain of losing her.
 
“But…” he mutters under his breath, tears flowing down his cheeks.
 
“S-sir… W-welcome back to the living…” The doctor stutters. He has glasses, and a mask on. He has horns that are about a foot long, sticking above his head. He seems to be in his mid thirties.
 
“Wha—“ Rem asks, confused. He finally remembers something he learned in his last year of school— There is no possible way of escaping being a nonexistent. If you are sent spiritually to the Non-existence, there is no hope for escape. No one has ever done it.
 
He has.
 
“Well, son, that…” the doctor seems to be lost for words, “was… wow… uh… amazing? I can't explain how awesome this is…” the doctor says.
 
“I need to go…”
 
“You survived FOUR hours! The Narekian pulse is lost after three!”
 
They are Narekian. A Narekian is a sentient being which closely resembles a human, except for a few traits. The first of these traits is their hair, which can have many different colors, and are only limited a little. A person cannot have natural purple hair. Also, they have horns protruding from their foreheads, which are colored the same as their skin. Finally, there are only three minorities in the Narekian race—one horn, two horns, and three horns. The three minorities live in separate countries, and rarely associate. That was until three years ago, when a war between the two horn and one-horn countries got in a feud. The one horns, attempted to conquer the two horns, resulting in a war. The three horns refuse to get caught in this stupid war.
 
There are a few one horns in the two horn country, but they do not care of their brethren, in fact, some joined the two horn army, and vice versa. The Three horns stay out of all affairs, and usually limit themselves not to leave the country, which means there are very few in any other countries.
 
“I want to leave.”
 
“ I need to make a phone call!” The doctor runs toward the door, but is stopped by a blonde man, with greasy hair, which has been modeled into a very cool looking fashon. His boots click as he steps to him, and he wears a greenish blue suit.
 
“No need to do that, sir,” the blonde man says. His horns just barely pop out of his hair. “I'll be taking this kid now.”
 
“A-all right,” the doctor says, stepping away, and leaving the room.
 
“So, Farrem is it?” The blonde man says.
 
“Call me Rem.”
 
“So, Rem,” the man says, pulling up a chair and sitting on it backwards, so that the back is facing Rem, and between the mans legs. “We heard you are the first survivor.”
 
“How did you learn so fast?”
 
“The nurse called the military only thirty minutes after you pulse should have stopped. She told us she's never seen that before, and they sent me here.”
 
“Who are you?” Rem asks him.
 
“Me? My name is Saiga,” the mans says, starting to fix his slick hair, “Saiga Katoui. The military's man of interrogation, persuasion, and a pretty good shot with a sniper—I learned that during training.”
 
“So what do you want?” Rem asks him.
 
“Well, I was sent over to try to convince you to join-“
 
“Not interested.”
 
“Aww, come on!” Saiga asks, sounding like a child, “at least tell me what you remember about the N.E.”
 
“Well, it was very white, and—“
 
“NO! I know that, I've been there in one of our vehicles I mean what happened? How did you survive?”
 
“It was two hours into it that I saw this girl… she gave me some sort of… magic CPR…” Rem says, trying to find the fight words… “She was so beautiful… She had natural purple hair, and pink eyes, the most beautiful—“
 
“—Ass?” Saiga interrupts. “…Boobs… No?”
 
“I was going to say voice… but… I guess…” Rem blushes.
 
“Well, I guess you must be in love, kid.” At this, Rem blushes more. Saiga gets a glitter and a look in his eyes.
 
“WELL,” Saiga says, in a persuasive tone, “The military has some technology which allows us to travel in the nonexistence, and find things left over from people, we might even find this girl you spoke about…”
 
Rem looks at him with wide eyes, and looks extremely eager. Saiga smiles.
 
“But if you don't want to join, fine by me.” Saiga says, in a fake pout. “It's not my fault, and plus I have a hell lot more friends…”
 
“I'LL GO!” Rem says, putting one arm in the air in victory.
 
“GREAT! I finally have a friend!” Saiga says, laughing.
 
“Now, get me the hell out of this hospital—I need to get my things!” Rem says, with a sparkle in his eye.
 
This is the start of something big…Both of them think at the same time.