Fan Fiction ❯ Nightmare's Suffering ❯ Confrontation ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Nightmare, I'd so be not doing this. I'd be kicking butt. But, I don't, so it's not mine. NO SOUL CALIBER DUDES ARE MINE! OR LOZ! So there.
Before I start I'd like to thankJirachi82, Esterk, and DilaZirkfor reviewing my story.Thanks guys.
Confrontation-Chapter Four
Right as Link turned to leave the Temple of Time, Soul Edge burst through the door and rushed at Link. Link raised Soul Caliber, and held Soul Edge. They stood there for several minutes, neither backing down from the sword lock. Then Link pushed back and cut Soul Edge's armor.
“What?!” Soul Edge shouted.
Link only smirked as he slashed at Nightmare again, this time hitting Soul Edge's shoulder and the blade impaled it. Soul Edge roared in anger, and swiped at Link, but Link easily dodged it by rolling forward and tripping Nightmare. Link jumped back and then forward to impale Soul Edge and threw him on the ground. (I know Cervantes does it but I thought it would be cool if Link did) Soul Edge got up and looked down at the wound. Link stood triumphant. But Soul Edge only laughed.
“Foolish human! Not even the sacred blade can harm me!” Soul Edge shouted.
Link noticed, as he shouted this, that the wound stopped bleeding and the cut in his stomach disappeared. Link was shocked.
“What the hell?” Link said softly.
“You didn't expect that did you?”
Soul Edge charged and hit Link into the gate wall and it crumbled down on top of him. Link pushed it up only to be kicked to the edge of the lava pool. Link got up and as Soul Edge charged, pushed Soul Edge's face into the ground. Link picked up Soul Edge over his head and threw him into the lava.
“No!” Soul Edge shouted as he fell, but he once again let go of the sword.
Then he hit the lava.
Soul Edge's screams were heard as he sank into the lava, and Link walked over to the edge. Link ran back inside and looked at Zelda. She was dead, and there was only one thing he could do. Soul Caliber's powers were used on Zelda, so she could be resurrected. She awoke and hugged him tight. Link then turned and went outside. Soul Edge was on the ground, motionless. Link walked over to it slowly, and bent down to grab it. Link felt a jolt go through him and saw Soul Edge's eye in his mind for a split second.
“Pick me up.” it called.
Link's eyes widened and his hand moved closer and closer until it was only inches away. Link couldn't stop from going near it. At the last second, Link pulled his hand away with his other hand and fell back on his back.
“I can't go near it.” Link said.
Link then saw a rock erupt from the edge of the cliff and it was heading straight for him. Link rolled out of the way, but Soul Caliber slipped off it's hilt. The sword was shattered into tiny pieces, now that it's power was lost. Link felt power leave him and he turned back into his original self.
“Then let me get it for you.” a voice called from inside the lava pit.
Link couldn't believe it. Soul Edge crawled up onto the cliffside and ran toward the sword to pick it up. Link was now powerless in Soul Edge's wake. Link grabbed Soul Caliber's hilt in fear and realized it was broken. Link dropped it and was kicked in the side. He flew through the doors of the Temple of Time, and skidded to a halt. Link couldn't move, and without Soul Caliber, he was doomed. Soul Edge walked in, slowly dripping lava while getting to him.
“So you thought you were rid of me? Oh no…far from it.”
Link immediately played the Requiem of Spirit and both were transported to the Desert Collosus. Link pulled out his last blade, the Biggoron's sword, crafted by Biggoron himself.
Link charged at Soul Edge, and Soul Edge held Link. They locked swords and stood there. Link pushed forward and backflipped, then as he landed, he did a sword slash but Soul Edge parried the attack and attempted to hit Link, but Link blocked as well. On and on they went.
Link started to deliver blow after blow, only to be stopped by Soul Edge. Soul Edge was pushed back, but then Soul Edge went on the offensive, Link was now blocking every attack Soul Edge threw at him. Link jumped over a low attack, then ducked at a high one, he backflipped again and was locked once again sword to sword with Soul Edge. Link then got an idea, he teleported the two to Lake Hylia and Soul Edge was kicked by Link towards the edge of the hill.
Soul Edge looked over the edge to see water. If he were to fall in, he would sink to the bottom. Link charged and tripped then pushed Soul Edge into the water. As Soul Edge looked around, he attempted to grab anything he could as he sunk. Link looked over the edge to see Soul Edge still struggling down the side of the cliff.
Soul Edge grabbed the hillside and was still falling slowly. He then stuck Soul Edge in the side and stopped, and began to pull himself up. Link saw this and donned his Iron Boots and descended after him. Soul Edge saw the boot about to knock the sword out of place, but Soul Edge grabbed Link's boot towards Soul Edge himself, and punched Link in the stomach then face. Link had no other choice but to go up for more air. He swam back up after he took off the boots and sat on the hillside, gasping.
Soul Edge then got out of lake and walked over to Link. Soul Edge picked Link up and punched him in the face. Link, now battered and bruised, was helpless. Soul Edge lifted the sword and brought it down on Link…only to be stopped mid-air by a Light Arrow.
“What the hell!?” Soul Edge shouted as he couldn't move.
Zelda stood defiant, still in arrow fired stance. She saw Soul Edge shriek and fall to the ground. Nightmare awoke and was back in his body.
“Thank you Zelda, but this is only temporary. We'll need to get him to recover, but I can already feel Soul Edge trying to reclaim my body.”
“Where is Soul Caliber?” Nightmare asked.
“You don't know? It was destroyed by a boulder that was thrown by Soul Edge.”
“Impossible. Unless…did he use the power of Soul Caliber to resurrect someone?”
“Yes me.” Zelda responded.
“Damn. Then there is only one other option. Get Link to recover, I'll tell him how to-“
Nightmare stopped and realized Soul Edge broke through.
“Not again! I have to stop him! Zelda, the way to stop me is to destroy the sword! “
Then he sounded garbled and his voice was replaced with Soul Edge.
“Shut up you fool!” Soul Edge shouted.
Nightmare struggled to gain control; he ran outside and decided to buy some time. He jumped into the lake.
Zelda had some Red Potion handy and gave it to Link. He instantly woke up and got on his feet.
“Where's Soul Edge???”
“Nightmare appeared but was quickly taken over; he jumped into the lake to buy some time.”
Link heard the water move. Soul Edge was out and looking for revenge.
“Link, before he was taken over, Nightmare said something about destroying the sword?”
“Soul Edge the sword, of course! It makes sense. Zelda, teleport us to Death Mountain, They sword will have plenty of places to get destroyed. Do it when we are in a locked position.”
“All right.” she nodded.
Link ran to Soul Edge, followed by Zelda, she hid behind the tree and Link ran to the edge of the lake. Soul Edge was almost at the top.
“Hey loser! That sword looks a little heavy! Mind if I carry it?”
“Come here you!” Soul Edge shouted.
Link ran by Zelda and Zelda tripped Soul Edge and Link got on top, pinning him.
“Now!”
Zelda played the Bolero of Fire on the Ocarina of Time and transported all three of them to the Death Mountain Crater. Link donned his Goron Tunic and Zelda played the Prelude of Light. She warped out of there.
Link was thrown off and almost fell into the lava. He rebalanced and looked at an angry Soul Edge. The only two problems now were how to get Soul Edge away from his sword, and how to do it without a weapon.
`Damn.' Link thought to himself.
Soul Edge charged and Link sidestepped, but Soul Edge elbowed Link as he passed by. Link fell to the ground and was thrown against a wall right over the lava. Link turned as he fell and grabbed at the handholds of the wall. He climbed up and heard Soul Edge jump to the wall and began chasing him. Link got up and ran to the wall opposite the cliff. Soul Edge got up and got in a stance. Soul Edge laughed as the sword began to glow and burn in fire. The fire grew and Soul Edge shouted:
“Earth Divide!”
Link saw the crack under him and tried to dodge it, but it hit him and sent him flying down a lower level of cliff. Link was now on his stomach with his head over the side staring at the lava. Soul Edge jumped and attempted to impale Link but Link rolled out of the way.
`I can't keep this up forever.' Link thought to himself.
Link was picked up by Soul Edge and Soul Edge stared at Link.
“You're no fun. You're not fighting back.” Soul Edge said as he laughed evilly.
Link struggled but then got an idea. He played dead.
 
Soul Edge only pulled him closer to his face. Link head butted Soul Edge when he got close enough. Soul Edge backed up and Link grasped his head in pain. Link recomposed himself and grabbed the sword Soul Edge. He threw it over the side. Soul Edge shouted.
 
“No!”
 
Soul Edge jumped out on the ledge and fell to it, right before it hit the lava, Soul Edge pulled it up and threw it back up the cliff and it landed on the ledge. Soul Edge fell in the lava and Link scurried to the sword. He kicked it over the side. The sword fell all the way down…until it was about to hit the lava when Soul Edge caught it in midair. Only Soul Edge's arm could be seen and he slowly rose from the lava.
 
“Your really getting on my nerves.” Soul Edge shouted.
 
Link sat on the cliff. Dumbfounded.
 
“Dammit.” he said.
 
Soul Edge performed Earth Divide again and split the cliff wall in two. Link jumped to another cliff. Link looked down and saw Soul Edge climbing the cliffside with Soul Edge. Link looked around him and saw a boulder. Link grabbed it and looked over the cliff.
 
“Hey Soul Edge!”
 
Soul Edge looked up and moved just in time and watched the huge boulder that flew past him.
 
Link quickly grabbed another, hefting it over his head without so much as a sweat, thanks to his silver gauntlets. Link threw another, and Soul Edge looked up, getting aggravated.
 
“Okay, now you're just prolonging the inevitable.” Soul Edge said annoyed.
 
Soul Edge sliced another boulder in half and just let go and jumped off the side of the cliff to go higher. He landed with a boom and rushed at Link. He immediately snatched Link off the ground and held him over the edge of the cliff. Link struggled in Soul Edge's grasp.
 
“Now you'll die.” Soul Edge said harshly.
 
Nightmare let Link go in his grasp. But at that moment, Link grabbed Soul Edge's waist with his legs, and turned in them. Link tripped Soul Edge and Soul Edge fell, letting go of the sword. Link grabbed the sword Soul Edge and fell over the cliff, straight into the lava. Link disappeared under the lava, and Soul Edge lay at the top. The eye in the blade was going crazy, and Soul Edge on the cliff screamed as he was engulfed in light. The sword in the lava had a crack started in it, and it shattered to pieces. Soul Edge was no more, and Nightmare was free.
 
“But the cost? Link gave his life.” Nightmare said.
 
A blinding blue light was seen in the lava, and then it disappeared.
 
“What? IS THAT YOU LINK?” he shouted.
 
No response.
 
Then Nightmare got up, and took off his armor, even in the heat of Death Mountain, he needed a cool down from the lava. The air was cooler than the lava, and it hurt all the same.
 
Nightmare, now in his human form, laid his head against the wall.
 
“Wasn't there a way to do this without either of us dying? Why couldn't it have been me?” Siegfried asked to the sky.
 
“It could've been, but the gods didn't want you dead yet.”
 
That voice, Siegfried recognized it. It was Link. Link was holding onto the cliffside, a little burnt.
 
“What the hell!? How did you survive!?” Siegfried shouted.
 
“At the moment I fell, I only had a moment under the lava before I was cooked. I planned on taking the blade and using Nayru's Love to protect me. It didn't last as long as I hoped, because my shoes and lower tunic to my knees burnt. So I climbed up here, out of breath. Speaking of which,” he said as he held out a hand, “help me out here.”
 
Siegfried hoisted him up and held him in a bridal position. They looked at each other awkwardly and Siegfried immediately looked away and dropped Link on his butt. Link got up and dusted himself off and Siegfried put his armor back on.
 
“Where are you headed now?” Link asked.
 
“I don't know. There is one thing I have to do before I enter any tournaments though. Actually two things. Something personal and I need a new weapon.”
 
“Ah. Well then, I'll see you later, do you want to stay the night at the castle?”
 
“I'm good. I'll see you later. And by the next tournament, train more, your punches are weak.” Siegfried said as he chuckled.
 
“Hey! I didn't have the power of Soul Edge coursing through my veins like some people!”
 
“True. Oh well, I'll see you around.”
 
Link exited and Siegfried left. He traveled for a while and came upon a familiar old barn house. He walked inside and found Isabella, the girl who tended to his wounds.
 
“Nightmare!” she said shocked.
 
“She ran to him and gave him a big hug.
 
“Call me Siegfried.” he said calmly.
 
He walked up to her and removed his helmet, and kissed her.
 
The End
 
Author's Note: If I make a sequel, I promise it'll be way longer, but that's if I make one. I'm still thinking.