Fan Fiction ❯ Past Relations ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In the year 2120, not much has changed. Cars are still around, but they're electric. The atmosphere is slowly getting better; not much has changed; the one thing that has changed, weapons. Weapons have advanced far beyond anyone's expectations.
 
World War III has been going on for the past twelve years. America, Japan, Germany and Britain where fighting Russia, China and North Korea. Nothing but fire fills the sky….
 
“Come on, Brenda. You seriously aren't gonna go through with this, are you?”
 
“Course I am. You should know me better than that, Ty.”
 
Brenda Winters is a seventeen High School senior. She's your typical girl trying to get a high paying job and a scholarship for college. She's a straight `A' student and love science and romance novels. She's one of the most popular girls in school. Her silky smooth brunette hair and green eyes are the envy of all the girls. She was a bit of a tom-boy, she never wore skirts. She was on all the sports teams she could fit into her schedule.
 
Tyler Conners is a few months older than Brenda. He's been friends with her ever since they where kids. Unlike Brenda, he wasn't very good in school. He kept a `C' average with Brenda's help. If it wasn't for Brenda, he probably would've dropped out of school by now. He liked to wear baggy T-shirts with ripped blue jeans, which got him called down to the office frequently. Out of school, he always wore his biker jacket, even though he hadn't saved up enough money to afford a real motorcycle. What he hated most about school wasn't the actual work. He hated the fact that he was the school heartthrob. He had a nicely toned body with golden blonde hair and baby blue eyes which gave him a heavenly appearance.
 
Tyler leaned back in his chair, his feet on the desk. He yawned then continued to watch Brenda tinker with their science project. “You watch way too much Sci-Fi, ya know that, duncha?” Tyler said, not really caring about his grade in this that much. For once, Brenda had chosen to work with him when the teacher wasn't going to let them pair up. Brenda smiled, “I know I'm a big fan, but it helps out big time in science class, Sci-Fi too.” Tyler shook his head, “I'll never understand why you do all this crap. Doesn't it wear you out?”
 
“A bit. But it's fun, that's why I do it.” Brenda smiled and Tyler couldn't help but feel happy. Brenda had this aura, one that made you feel better just by being near her. Still, he sighed, “But still. A time travel device? That seems farfetched. Sides, why not do one of the easier assignments?”
 
“'Cause, what fun would that be?”
 
“You've watched Back to the Future too many times,” Tyler said, shaking his head sadly. “Have not! I've only seen each one…” pauses to count in her head, “…all right. You win,” she sighed. Tyler smirked and got up, standing next to Brenda as she continued to work. The time travel device she was working on wasn't one of those ones you sit in, or those silly time traveling belts. Brenda's design was in two bracelets, ones that needed to interact with each other in order to work.
 
Brenda was almost finished when air raid alarms started blaring. “Oh, crap!” Tyler said as he grabbed Brenda and ran for the shelter just down the hall. “Hey!” she said, still holding onto one of the bracelets, the other on her wrist. Tyler throws Brenda in and closes the door just before a bomb goes off not too far away from the school. Brenda clung to Tyler, afraid. “It's okay,” Tyler said and he tried to comfort her. Brenda huddled in fear as another bomb went off. Then a light shined from her wrist. “What the?” Tyler asked, startled. Brenda and Tyler grew wide eyed as the light engulfed them.
 
Brenda wakes up, her head was pounding. “Oh, good, you're awake,” a female voice says. Brenda snaps up and sees a woman in her mid-twenties with blonde hair and green eyes. “Who-who are you?” Brenda asked. “My name is Darla Winters,” the woman answered politely. Brenda stared at the woman, eyes wide. “Oh, dear, lye down. You have a nasty concussion. Your friend hasn't woken up either. You two must've been in a horrible situation,” she said. “What makes you say that?” Brenda asked a she lied down. “Both of you where covered in smoke and huddled together, obviously afraid.” Brenda didn't reply, she just looked to her right. “Where is he?” she asked. “In the next room. I'll bring him here when he wakes up, okay?” Darla said and left the room.
 
“What in the world happened?” Brenda thought then winced. “My head…. It's pounding. Well, she did say I had a concussion.” Brenda sighed and pushed her bangs out of her face. She was about to fall back asleep when the door burst open. She looked over and saw a very worried Tyler run over to the bed and hug her. “I was so worried,” he said. Brenda blushed a bit and saw Darla over in the corner. “Have you told her your name yet?” she whispered. “Uh… no. Why?” he whispered back. “I'll tell you later. Just don't say your real name,” she whispered then passed out on his shoulder.
 
“Oh, dear,” Darla said and laid Brenda back down on the bed. “What where you two doing out in the middle of nowhere, anyway?” she asked. Tyler thought about it. If Brenda didn't want him to say his real name, he needed to think quickly. “Nothing really,” he said quietly and sat next to Brenda. Darla smiled, “I'll leave you two alone,” and she left the room. “Finally, she's gone,” Brenda said and sat up slowly. “Whoa,” Tyler blinked in shock, “No wonder you're lead in Drama.” Brenda rubbed her head, “It wasn't all acting. My head's really messed up. I won't be able to do anything for a few days.”
 
“Why didn't you want me to say my real name?” Tyler asked. “Because, that woman was Darla Winters!” Tyler's eyes grew wide, “Are you serious?!” Brenda nodded, “Seems the bracelets worked. We can head back home in a few days after the panels recharge.”
 
“Everything's a few days with you, huh?” Tyler said with a smirk. Brenda scoffed, “Just think of a fake name, all right?”
 
Two days passed and nothing really happened. Tyler was known as Kyle Jansen and Brenda was known as Cynthia Timbers. “Can we go home yet?” Tyler complained as he turned his back as Brenda finished dressing. “No. The panels still need one more day to charge.”
 
“Well, I guess it's better than a week,” he sighed, “I'm glad you're feeling better.” Brenda blushed a bit, “Thanks.” She finished dressing and turned around, “Let's go look around. I'm restless.” Tyler turned around and nodded, “All right.”
 
They wandered around aimlessly, not really seeing anything different from their own time. “Man, what a rip,” Tyler complained. “We didn't advance much, did we?” Brenda stated as she looked around, only seeing buildings that haven't been destroyed. “Yeah… hey, look at that,” Tyler said, pointing over to a street performer. “Doesn't look like he's very good…” Brenda said, not really seeing why Tyler brought it up. Then it hit her, “Oh, god. You're not thinking….” Too late. Tyler grabbed her hand and stood next the performer, asking if he could see his guitar. “Ty…uh, Kyle! What are you doing?!” she scolded. “Come on, Cynthia! Just sing something.” She sighed and ran through a list of songs in her head. “Fine. Let's do `Nightmare'.” Tyler pressed a button on his jacket and the background music started playing. Tyler began playing softly on the guitar with it as Brenda stood up. She awaited the entry point and then began singing.
 
Kagirinaku tsuduzuku ankoku no sora
Hibiwarete-yuku enrai no oto
Tachidomaru tabi ashimoto ga
Yureru
 
Atatakai hito no kotoba wo karite
Natsukashii hi no sugata wo karite
Oshiyosete-kuru akuyume-tachi
Nightmare!
 
(Fushigi na koe tsumetai te
yami kara call me nandomo call me)
 
Ittai nani ga tadashikute
Ittai nani ga machigai na no ka!
Omoide-tachi yo! Ima sugu
Kono kurayami wo terashite kure!
 
~Interlude~
 
Taisetsu na hito wo mamoru tame nara
Kono karada-goto kizutuite ii
Kono kokoro-goto moete ii
 
~Interlude~
 
Kagirinaku tsudzuku ankoku no sora
Hibiwarete-yuku enrai no oto
Madaowasareru ne me ni utsuru
Mono ni
 
Kuzusuita mirai oitsumeru no wa
Kudakareta asu fuminijiru no wa
Kono mune ni aru ayafuya sa
Love
 
(Anata no koe yasashii te
Yume kara call me nandomo call me)
 
Hageshii ame ni utarete mo
Tsumetai kaze ni sarasarete mo
Hikari wo motomete yamanai
Ano juboku no takumashisa omoishiru
 
~Interlude~
 
Kagirinaku tsudzuku ankoku no sora
Hibiwarete-yuku enrai no oto
Tachidomaru tabi ashimoto ga
Yureru
 
Taisetsu na hito wo mamoru tame nara
Dare yori mo zutto hijou ni mo naru
Dare yori mo zutto tsuyoku naru
 
When the song ended, everyone that heard Brenda applauded. Brenda blushed a bit, being the modest type. “Very good, miss,” a male voice said. Brenda looked behind her and there stood a man with black hair and blue eyes dressed in an expensive looking black suit. “Who are you?” Tyler asked. “I am Jacob Winters, president of Winters Records,” he replied with pride, “And who might you two be?”
 
“Why do you want to know?” Brenda asked. “I'm looking for new talent and-”
 
“No,” Brenda shot at him, “I'm not interested. Now, if you'll excuse us,” she said, brushing past Jacob. Jacob glared at Brenda, grabbed her arm and slammed her into the building. She winced then looked up at Jacob, who was looking at her with a power-hungry look in his eyes. “No one says `no' to me,” he hissed. “Get off of her!” Tyler said, pounding on Jacob's shoulder, trying to pull him off of Brenda. Jacob slugged Tyler back, giving Brenda just enough leeway to kick Jacob in the groin and run.
 
“I hope I didn't break the family jewels,” she said, breathing heavily. They had run quite a ways before stopping to rest. “Well, you're still here, so I don't think you have anything to worry about,” Tyler said with a smirk. “Man. I didn't know I was related to such an ass,” Brenda said with a heavy sigh. “You never really know your relatives,” Tyler said as he sat next to Brenda. “My, what are you two doing out here?” Brenda looked to her right; it was only Darla. “Running away from Jacob Winters,” Brenda said with a sigh. “Oh, dear. What did my husband do now?” she asked with an annoyed tone. “Cynthia said `no' and he flipped,” Tyler said, looking up to Darla. Darla sighed, “That man needs anger management, I swear.” Tyler and Brenda nodded, “Got that right.”
 
“You didn't need to agree with me,” Darla said chuckling. Brenda and Tyler chuckled and Brenda laid her head on Tyler's shoulder. “I'm tired…” she said, not really understanding why. “You still got a slight concussion dear. Of course you'd be tired after that,” Darla said, kneeling next to her and making sure she didn't have a fever, “You'll be fine, dear. Just don't push yourself.”
 
“Thanks, Darla,” she said smiling, not moving from Tyler's shoulder. Tyler was blushing slightly, but he hid it rather well.
 
Later that night, a lot of stuff went down in the Winters' household. Turned out Jacob was a wife beater. Brenda couldn't sleep knowing that was going on, but there was nothing she could do to stop it. “I can't interfere any more than I all ready have,” she thought.
 
The screaming and hitting ceased and Brenda became uneasy. Brenda had known a beater before, but she wasn't the victim; Tyler was. Tyler's father was always abusive. Daily, he would beat on Tyler. One time, when she was nine, Brenda went over to give Tyler his homework for that day. When she went through the unlocked door, she heard Tyler crying. She ran upstairs and saw him huddled in the corner, fresh wounds all over him. Brenda dropped the books and rand over to him. “Ty-Ty, what happened?!” she cried. Tyler looked up at Brenda, fear evident in his eyes. “What are you doing here?! You have to leave, now!” he cried. He dragged Brenda down the stairs, but his father caught them. “What is she doing here?” he demanded in a booming voice. “I-it's nothing father. She-she was just leaving,” Tyler stuttered. Brenda held onto Tyler's arm and looked up at the man. She glared at him; as well as a nine year old could; and stood in front of Tyler. “No, I'm not leaving!” she said sternly. Tyler's eyes grew wide with fear and his father glared at her. “I came to help Tyler with school and that's what I'm going to do!” Tyler's father clenched his teeth, “How dare you!” he said and slapped Brenda into the wall. Tyler watched in horror as his father beat Brenda, hitting her over and over again. “Stop it!” he cried. His father looked over to Tyler and slapped him down to the floor. He then started beating Tyler. Brenda stared at the scene for a moment, not believing a father could dot his to his child. She snapped out of her trance and lunged at Tyler's father, biting into his arm. He growled and slammed her into the wall.
 
Brenda forced the memory out of her mind; she couldn't afford to cry. She heard the door open and saw Darla come in. “Oh, dear. I thought you'd be asleep by now,” she said. “How can I with that man still awake?” Darla went solemn, “So, you know?” Brenda nodded, “What should I do?” Darla asked. “He's your husband right? `Til death do us part?” Darla sighed, “I guess you're right. Thanks for the talk, dearie.” Darla got up and left the room.
 
Brenda didn't stay either. After a few moments, she left the room and entered Tyler's room. She quietly closed the door then stared at Tyler's sleeping figure. “I wonder if he heard any of it,” she whispered to herself. She walked over to the bed, quiet as a mouse. She sat on the bed gently and ran her fingers through Tyler's hair. “What are you doing up?” he asked, his eyes still closed. “I couldn't sleep,” she replied. “Why not?” he asked; still not opening his eyes. “It's nothing, Ty-Ty.” Tyler sighed and sat up. He looked at Brenda and moved her bangs out of her face, “What's wrong? You never call me `Ty-Ty' anymore.”
 
“I'm related to a wife beater,” she said, tears forming in her eyes. Tyler's face went solemn and he held Brenda. “It's not like you're like him, Brenda,” he said, rubbing her back. There was a long silence then Brenda asked, “Can I stay with you, tonight?” Tyler's face deepened five shades red, “Uh… sure.” He moved over on the bed and Brenda laid down, snuggling next to him. “Thanks Ty-Ty,” she said and fell asleep.
 
The next morning, Tyler wasn't feeling very well, so they let him rest. Brenda sat in Tyler's room, hearing the sounds of abuse yet again. Darla ran out of the house, and Brenda was sure Jacob had gone too, so she decided to get some soup for Tyler. “I hope this helps,” she said as she loaded the soup onto a tray. “What are you doing?” said a booming voice. Brenda quickly turned around and there was Jacob, breathing down on her. “I was making soup for Kyle. He's not feeling well,” she answered. “Without me knowing!” he said and slapped Brenda to the floor. Brenda wiped the blood from her mouth and glared at Jacob. “You're really pushing me,” she growled. “Oh, I'm so scared,” he said and loomed over Brenda, “What can a female child do?” After hearing that, Brenda snapped. She lunged at Jacob, hitting him over and over again. She stopped after realizing he was unconscious. She ran into Tyler's room and panicked when she saw him fading in and out. “I don't get it. Jacob is my relative…” Brenda thought about it for a moment. “Wait, Tyler is the fifth Tyler in his family. That means something must be happening to the Tyler Connors in this time. But what?” She ran down stairs and found the phonebook. “2000!” she exclaimed, “I'll be lucky if there is a Tyler Connors.” She scanned through the phonebook and found a `Tyler Connors' just down the road. “I hope this isn't a dead end,” she said and ran out the door.
 
When she arrived, she saw Darla outside with a dark haired Tyler. “Just give him blonde hair-” that's when it hit her. Darla was Tyler's ancestor, not hers. “She's supposed to get with Tyler,” she said and ran over. “Cynthia, what are you doing here?” Darla asked. “Just going for a walk. How `bout you?”
 
“I ran into Mr. Connors and he was offering to take me to lunch.”
 
“Well, go with him,” Brenda said smiling. “But, didn't you say-”
 
“I'm a child, Darla. But even I know Jacob doesn't deserve you.” Darla smiled and hugged Brenda. “You're a wise child, Cynthia,” she turned to Mr. Connors, “I will gladly go to lunch with you.” Mr. Connor's blushed, “All right. Shall we go then?” Darla nodded, “What are you going to do, Cynthia?”
 
“Go back and check on Kyle. He should be feeling better now,” she said and ran back to the Winters' home.
 
Brenda entered the room and there was Tyler, good as new. “Damn, what happened?” he asked. “Turns out Darla is your relative, not mine. I have a feeling she's going to divorce Jacob and marry Tyler Connors I,” she said with a smile. “Cool, now can we go home?” Brenda looked at her bracelets, “Seems like. Come on.” Tyler walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her while she set the destination time. “Home, where we come,” she said as the light engulfed them.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Nightmare: Sung by: Oogata Megumi; Copyrighted to Yu Yu Hakusho