Fan Fiction ❯ Phoenix's Rise ❯ Leaving ( Chapter 25 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 25

Leaving

Phoenix’s eyes opened slowly. She knew that she had lost her temper, and she knew that she’d acted like the kind of person who she hated the most. With a groan, she rolled over onto her side, and noticed Robin reading in a chair at the edge of her bed. “How long have I been out?” She asked quietly.

Robin looked up and smiled at Phoenix’s obvious embarrassment. “Not too long . . . just a few days.” Phoenix sat up with a start. “I’m joking! You’ve hardly been asleep for a hour and a half.”

“Nice. Make me think that I was a vegetable! What happened after I . . . blacked out?” She laid back into her pillow and pulled her blanket up around her neck.

“We took Chrome-Dome to prison, and brought you back here. I’ve been waiting here for you to wake up ever since then.” Robin watched as Phoenix’s face darkened with the mention of Chrome-Dome. “Why are you so upset?”

“Robin, that guy is the Metal-Guardian. If he doesn’t join us . . . what’ll we do? It’s my job to make sure that nothing happens. If something does happen, and we can’t stop it because that jumble of scrap metal wouldn’t help . . . it’ll be all my fault.” Phoenix rolled over onto her stomach and buried her face in her pillow. “Maybe I’m not cut out for this.”

Robin wrestled with his feelings. He didn’t want Phoenix to be so hard on herself, but at the same time . . . he also wondered if she was capable of leading this special team. Come on, Robin. You just don’t want to let her get into a situation where you can’t help her anymore. She can take care of herself, and anyone else who she’s responsible for. “Phoenix . . . you’re already a great leader. Just because Chrome-Dome is being stubborn now doesn’t mean that he won’t come around later. Just focus on finding the last Guardian . . . maybe you won’t need his help in the end.”

“Like we’d ever be that lucky.” Phoenix grumbled, the sound muffled by her pillow. “Why am I the one who needs to bring us together? Why isn’t it one of the others?”

Robin gently touched Phoenix’s shoulder, surprised when she didn’t pull away. “It’s because you’re strong in ways that most other people are weaker than water. You are able to work with a group, but you can fly just as well solo. You don’t usually want to hurt anyone, but you’ll fight to protect what’s right. Phoenix, you’ve got to be the strongest person I know.”

Phoenix sat up and gave Robin a hug. “You’re probably just lying through your teeth to make me feel better . . . but anyway . . . thanks for helping me feel better.”

“Sorry, your story won’t work on me. I only look out for myself, and I refuse to work with that cranky witch who almost melted me!” Chrome-Dome spat from his containment unit. Actually, he was straitjacketed and then tied down into a bed. All but Robin and Phoenix were present.

“What’s your problem, man? Don’t you even care that the world could be coming to an end?” Cyborg growled. This guy was working his last good wire.

“Not as long as I don’t end with it.” Chrome-Dome laughed.

“That’s it. We’re all going to leave . . . now.” Raven commanded as she ushered the indignant bunch of teenagers out of the room.

“Well, this is just great.” Terra groaned.

“So, how do you plan on getting him to help?” Beast Boy asked Terra.

“Perhaps he should have a chance for his jets to cool.” Starfire suggested.

“I’m going to let him sit until Robin thinks it’s time to let Phoenix know that he’s here.” Terra noticed the nervous faces of the Titans in front of her and grimaced. “She’s right behind me . . . isn’t she?”

“Yah, I am. Now who is here that isn’t supposed to be, and why wouldn’t I be told?” Phoenix asked her cousin.

Robin ran up behind her saying. “Phoenix, wait. You . . . should probably get more rest.” Robin tried to block off the door to the previously un-used room, with out being too obvious. “Why don’t you go back to your room . . . and one of us will bring something for you to eat, later.”

Phoenix’s face slowly morphed from confusion to a mix of pure terror, hate, and panic. “He isn’t in jail . . . is he? Chrome-Dome is in there!” The Titans braced themselves, ready to get chewed out. Instead, Phoenix swayed slightly, and fainted.

“Oh man, we should’ve known that we couldn’t hide him.” Cyborg groaned.

“How could knowing that he’s here get her so upset?” Raven asked as Robin picked up Phoenix’s limp form.

“He does act a lot like Whiteout, and she just woke up a few minutes ago. All of that must’ve been just enough to make her pass out. Y’know, we’re lucky that Phoenix is so light.” Robin chuckled.

“Yah . . . like if Cy got conked out . . . Star and Lightfire would need to work together to carry him.” Beast Boy laughed.

Starfire took a nervous glance back to Lightfire, who nodded. “I am sorry, but I must leave for Tamaran soon. The planet has not accepted Galfor as Grand Ruler, the people wish for me to return. I shall leave tonight.”

“We’re going to miss you, Starfire. I’m guessing that you’ll be leaving too, right, Lightfire?” Raven asked.

Lightfire nodded. “It is my job to protect princess.”

“It’s cold.” Beast Boy whined as the Titans stood on the roof of Titans' Tower. They were saying good-bye to both of the Tamaranians.

“No it’s not.” Phoenix smiled as Beast Boy scowled at her. Even though her uniform consisted of a tank top and shorts . . . her ‘internal fire’ kept her warm all of the time.

Terra laughed. “If you’re so cold, why don’t you turn into a kitten, and then I’ll hold you . . . do you think that would warm you up?” Beast Boy use words to answer. Instead, he turned into a small tabby kitten, and jumped into his girlfriend’s arms.

“We’re gonna miss you two.” Cyborg said quietly.

“I shall miss you too. I shall miss all of you.” Starfire sniffed to try to keep her tears from spilling over. “If anything should ever happen . . . you may call on us for assistance.”

Robin nodded, and shook hands with Lightfire. “Good-bye you guys.”

Silently, the two aliens picked up their suitcases and flew up into the night sky . . . on their way home.