Fan Fiction ❯ Phoenix's Rise ❯ Legends and Truths Part 2 ( Chapter 30 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 30
 
Legends and Truths Part II
 
Phoenix sat up in her bed with a start, not sure if she'd had a strange dream, or if she'd actually been on Mount Olympus. Her memories were confirmed when she found that her flowers were still in her hair. There is no way I can sleep right now . . . I'll go up and watch some late night news or something.
 
When Phoenix walked into the living room, she was greeted by the smell of herbal tea, and five silhouettes framed by the soft glow of the TV on the couch.
 
“You couldn't sleep either?” Raven asked while pouring a mug of tea for Phoenix.
 
“Yah, after everything that's happened . . . I don't think I'll be able to sleep for a month. So, who wants to tell the others about this mission?” She asked while glancing at the five other Guardians' faces.
 
“I nominate you, Phoenix. After all . . . you are the leader.” Terra poked her cousin in the ribs. “All in favor?”
 
“Aye.” Came the murmured replies.
 
“Great, why is it always me? Doesn't anyone else want to try this job for a while?” Phoenix asked, but received no reply. “Okay, fine . . . I'll talk to the others in the morning.”
 
Robin, Beast Boy, and Cyborg stared at Phoenix open-mouthed. Behind them, the com-link showed the Titans East bearing the same expression of disbelief. “If you don't believe what I told you . . . ask any of the others . . . they were there too.” She held up her hands in a way to defend herself from not being taken seriously.
 
“I don't want to get left out on the action . . . dang it!” Bumble Bee whined.
 
“You aren't the only one.” Speedy added. “Do you think you guys will manage with two leaders and teams in one Tower?”
 
“Doubt it.” Robin grinned and made a face at Phoenix. “She's such a hot-head at times.”
 
“Not like I can say much better about you.” Phoenix retorted.
 
The Titans were going outside to go to a movie, when Phoenix's crystal began to shine. “I'm guessing that we're supposed to go back to Olympus. We should come back to this exact moment, so don't bother waiting for us . . . try to find out which movie is best.” Phoenix fitted her glowing crystal into its place, and in a flash, they were gone.
 
All of the Guardians were transformed and transported to the mythical mountain. Terra swayed a bit as they came to rest near the table where they had heard their history. “Oh man, I think I left my stomach back in the Tower!”
 
Cybele appeared in front of the Guardians. “Thank You for coming so promptly. It is time for you to begin your training.”
 
“What kind of training, exactly?” Raven asked.
 
“I shall instruct you on the use of your powers, and the only other god left here on Olympus, Zeus, will assist the development of your weapon skills.” Cybele explained sadly.
 
“What happened to all of the other gods? I thought that Olympus was teaming with them.” Aqualad asked.
 
“They . . . they left to try to defeat the leading edge of the Decaylite army . . . however . . . the force proved to be too strong . . . they were all imprisoned, and executed.” Cybele turned away, and began to cry.
 
Airhead shuddered. “If they were pure gods . . . and there were more of them . . . then how are we supposed to beat them?!”
 
Terra gave a groan. “They were also supposed to be immortal, and have better control of their powers.”
 
Electra sighed. “It's been nice knowing you guys . . . well, all except you.” She snarled in Chrome-Dome's direction.
 
“You aren't exactly the most pleasant person to deal with either, Sparky!” Chrome-Dome snarled back as he notched an arrow and aimed at Electra, who had in turn, pulled out her sias.
 
“Stop it! Look at what we're doing to ourselves!” Phoenix's eyes began to well up with tears of frustration. “We don't need the Decaylite army to destroy us . . . we're doing just fine on our own! Chrome-Dome, Electra, look at yourselves . . . bickering like toddlers! Airhead, Terra, you need to believe that we can beat these guys . . . if we couldn't . . . I doubt Cybele would've brought us into this.”
 
Raven nodded. “Worrying is useless, it just destroys any hope we have.”
 
Aqualad's face suddenly became contorted by an expression that was easily identified as `ready to blow chunks'. “Excuse me, but would you happen to have a trash can or something else I could borrow?”
 
Cybele quickly turned to face them all. “Do any of the rest of you feel ill?”
 
Terra tentatively raised a hand. “My stomach still hasn't settled since we got here . . . maybe it wasn't just that we came here so quickly.”
 
Slowly, everyone but Phoenix admitted that they were feeling less than their best. “You should return to your `towers'. Perhaps you are all in need of rest. I know that none of you slept last night, and that very well might be the reason that you feel unwell.” Cybele motioned to a glowing, pink portal. “This is the way home for you all. You should be returned to the exact moment and place from which you departed.”
 
The Air, Earth, Water, Metal, Darkness, and Lightning protectors slowly made their way out, but Phoenix remained. “Why are they sick? I think you know more than you're willing to tell us.” She confronted the departing figure. “And why haven't we faced any of these `Decaylites'? If they were becoming enough of a threat that all of the other Gods had to leave, shouldn't we have faced them by now?”
 
Cybele sighed, and turned on Phoenix with surprising speed. Before she could react, Phoenix was trapped inside of a large bubble, much like the one that she'd used on Chrome-Dome . . . and she couldn't escape. “You always have to be the sharp one, don't you? Too bad, you would've gone a long ways too . . . oh well . . . once I'm done with your friends . . . they won't know the difference . . .”
 
“What are you talking about?! Let me go!” Phoenix's voice showed the confidence she wished that she still possessed.
 
Cybele's ears seemingly were deafened to everything other than her own voice. “You would've done well to stay silent. Now, don't scream too much . . . you wouldn't want to draw attention to yourself . . . and besides . . . extracting your Guardian Spirit won't leave you in pain for very long . . .”
 
Abruptly, Phoenix began to feel as if she was being wrung out like a dish-rag. She opened her mouth to scream, but she couldn't even muster the strength to whisper a curse. With a new burst of pain, that felt as if white-hot knives were being driven into her flesh, Phoenix began to feel her Guardian powers begin to fade, causing the pain she was in to be felt full-force, instead of dulled.
 
The bubble faded, and Phoenix fell limply to the ground. Her vision was clouded with tears of pain, but she thought she saw herself standing next to Cybele . . . smirking. “See, that wasn't so bad . . . was it? Now, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to get rid of you. Nobody is going to stop my plan!” Cybele began to laugh, and then gave a sigh. “You really should've kept your mouth shut, but since you had to speak out . . . you'll be going where no mortal has gone before and lived . . . the Underworld.” And then she blacked out.