Fan Fiction ❯ Promise of Protection ❯ His Promise ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
HIS PROTECTION




I loved a man. I loved this man deeply. My heart knew no other. He was harsh and cold. Unforgiving. Yet so infinitely tender. The world saw him as nothing more than a tarnished soul. Someting that never should have been. But I know that the world was wrong. I know this because without his existance my own would have been useless.

"I will protect you from anything that would try to harm you."

I met him in the worst of circumstances. I was a stranger to him. Just another person being attacked, but for reasons that will never be known to me he saved me. He protected me from danger. From that time on he protected me from anything that would harm me. His first words to me were long after we met. I had been upset and had a nightmare. When I woke I found myslef cradled in strong arms that should have scared me, yet oddly, they made me feel secure. His voice was rough and low. Coarse from not being used in so long. He whispered 1 sentence to me over and over until I understood.

"I will protect you from anything that would try to harm you."

I slept soundly for the rest of that night and later, when the nightmares returned, I awoke to find myself in my protectors arms. Listening to him whisper those same words. The only words he could say to me.

"I will protect you from anything that would try to harm you."

I traveled. He followed. I never worried for my life. Now I worried for his. This stranger did everything within his power to guide me away from danger and when faced with it, he calmly stood and protected me.

"I will protect you from anything that would try to harm you."

Our lives do not go on as we believe that they will. Everything changed in the darkness and shadows of a moonless night. I spoke to him. I told him what I saw in my nightmares. He did not shun me, he held me tighter. That was the night his whispered words changed.

"I have protected you from everything that would harm you, but I cannot save you from the images behind your eyes."

That night he kissed me under the darkness as the stars smiled down on us. He loved me and I loved him in return. We were happy there, in the shadows. Happy for a time because we were together and nothing could take the night aways from us except the sunlight.

"I will protect you from anything that would try to harm you."

I loved him as deeply as I possibly could. He smiled at me, laughed with me, and loved me. But when the time came he protected me. He protected me from everything that could harm my body, but he could not protect my heart.

"I will protect you from anything that would try to harm you."

Now I know how true his words were. He protected me little one. He protected you. He protected us. He protected his family. So now I sit by this grave and caress my swollen belly. I sit and tell this simple story to you every day. So that when you grow. So that when you become a man, you will know the ancient words passed down to you my child. You will find your love and you will know these words.

"I will protect you from anything that would try to harm you."

When you gaze upon the face of your love and hear these ancient and true words you will know my child. You will know why your father said them to me. You will know their truest meaning and you will know that you have found the one. And that one? That one will be the one to hear these words from your lips.

"I will protect you from anything that would try to harm you."