Fan Fiction ❯ Quest for the Master Sword ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"What to wear for dinner...?" Zelda mused as she stared into her armoire.

"You're not trying to impress this guy or anything, are you?" Link asked, letting a bit of suspicion creep into his voice.

"Link...whenever a noble or dignitary joins us for a meal, it's customary to get dressed up. Meaning you should get out one of your better outfits," said Zelda.

Link sat on their bed, his towel still around his waist; they'd just had a bath. "How about something green, to go with your eyes?" he suggested, realizing that what she'd just said was true, and reminding himself that maybe he was reading too much into it. "Or maybe something pink...you look good in pink...."

"I'm surprised you know anything about that kind of thing," Zelda remarked as she took out a dress, examined it, then put it back.

"Well, hey, I've known you for a while...I've paid attention to what looks good on you," said Link, shrugging.

"At least you're useful for something," Zelda teased. She pulled out a green dress that had a square neckline and long sleeves that puffed at the shoulders. "What do you think of this?"

"That's one of my favorites. Wear it," he replied.

Zelda went over to the bed and gently laid the dress down on it and removed the towel from her body. Link watched as she put on her undergarments and stepped into the dress. "I just need someone to button this in the back for me," she said.

"This time you don't need to call a lady-in-waiting or anything," Link smirked as he stood up and buttoned up her dress. He pushed her damp hair to one side and kissed the back of her neck as his fingers worked the buttons through their holes.

"Thanks, sweetie," said Zelda. "Now get dressed."

Link dressed in one of his newer tunics while Zelda sat at her vanity table and brushed out her long golden hair. By the time he'd combed out his brown hair and set his cap upon his head, Zelda was still doing her makeup.

He watched her as she skillfully applied her cosmetics. "You look very beautiful, Princess," Link told her, using what was now his pet name for her.

"Thank you, my hero," Zelda replied, smiling.

"Well, it's about that time, shall we go downstairs?" Link asked.

Zelda stood up and took Link's hand, and they left the room together.


King Harkinian, dressed in his usual blue tunic, sat at the head of the table. Zelda sat to his left, with Link next to her. Prince Falsto was sitting directly across from Zelda, at the King's right.

Falsto did not say a whole lot during the meal; instead he looked pensive. Link kept a suspicious eye on him the entire time, though he was discreet about it. His job, after all, was to protect the Triforce of Wisdom--as well as the Princess of Hyrule, though he was protective of Zelda not because it was his job, but because he loved her and was now her husband.

"Tell me about your country," Zelda urged him.

"Not much to tell, Princess, except it's a beautiful country," was Falsto's reply.

Something about that bothered Link but he couldn't put his finger on it. He pondered it as he ate his dinner.

At least the guy had pretty much stopped flirting with Zelda.


After dinner they all retired into the den and sat down before the fire. Harkinian was half-asleep in his chair within minutes; Link and Zelda didn't think it unusual at all.

Link and Zelda sat on one side of the mantel, Falsto on the other. "So...tell me about the ancient treasures," Falsto said eagerly.

Link gave him a look. Zelda took her husband's hand and asked, "What do you want to know?"

"I have heard that your ancestors fought Ganon thousands of years ago," he said. "I've heard something about the Spiritual Stones."

"Isn't that a coincidence...I was just showing Link the Stones today," said Zelda, smiling at her husband. "Yes...they are in a crown that a more recent generation made--it has the Kokiri's Emerald, the Goron's Ruby, and the Zora's Sapphire. That, and the Ocarina of Time, which is among our treasures, were used by our ancestor Link the Hero of Time to acquire the Master Sword, which enabled time travel."

"Musta been confusing for him, during his journey, sometimes being ten and sometimes being seventeen," Link put in. "At the end of his journey that Princess Zelda, who later became his wife, allowed him to go back to being ten so he could grow up normally, and he had lots of adventures after that."

"The Ocarina of Time has been in the Hylian Royal Family for hundreds of generations," Zelda added. "As for the Master Sword, legend has it that it's somewhere in the Lost Woods; once it stood in the Temple of Time but as years went by the forest somehow expanded and the Temple of Time is no more...for all we know it might be in ruins."

"Quite interesting, Princess," Falsto murmured. "Might I see these treasures?"

Link and Zelda looked at each other. "I don't see why not," Zelda said, sounding a bit hesitant. She rose from her chair, and Link stood up also.

Falsto followed the young couple to a locked door deep within North Castle. Link grabbed a torch on the way, as it was night time and there were no windows.

Link reached into his pouch and produced the key and handed it to his wife. Zelda unlocked the door and Link went in with the torch.

"Amazing...truly amazing," said Falsto as he looked around. He pointed to a crown. "That has the Spiritual Stones?"

"That's the one," said Zelda, obviously pleased that someone would listen to her little history lesson. "And over there is the Ocarina of Time." She pointed to a little display case in the huge room. A slate-blue ocarina, with the symbol of the Triforce near the mouthpiece, sat underneath some glass. "It will be handed down to my and Link's children sometime in the future."

For a while Falsto meandered around the room, his eyes taking all this in. Link tried to stifle a yawn as he stood there, holding the torch, while Zelda showed Falsto the artifacts and told about them.

"Hey, honey, it's getting a little late and I'm tired," Link said softly.

"Oh--okay," said Zelda. She stretched her arms. "He's right, it is getting late," she told Falsto. "So you're leaving tomorrow?"

"Yes," said Falsto.

"All right, then, let's all get to bed," said Zelda. "I'm a bit tired and I didn't realize we were down here for so long."


After being escorted back to his room by Link and Zelda, Falsto waited for a while, until he thought they might be back in their bedroom.

He slipped quietly out of his room and skulked along the corridors, making virtually no noise. "Heheh...the fools," he hissed quietly under his breath.

Soon he was at the locked door in that corner of the castle. Willing himself back to his true form--that of a Stalfo--he pulled a bomb out from underneath his armor and set it down at the bottom of the door and stood back.


Link and Zelda were in bed, cuddling, soon after they'd escorted Falsto back to his room. Zelda snuggled up to her husband and looked at him; he was barely visible in the moonlight coming in through the window and the blue glow of the Triforce of Wisdom, which was on its pedestal in the middl of the room.

Link kissed Zelda and was starting to tug her nightgown off when they heard an explosion. "What was that!?" Link yelled as they both sat up.

"Sounded like a bomb!" Zelda exclaimed.

Link jumped out of bed, grabbed his sword, and bounded through the door. Zelda got her pink robe and followed him, putting it on as she rushed out after him.

"I think it came from downstairs, Zelda," Link told her as she caught up with him.

Soon they reached the corridor where the treasure vault was--and found a huge gaping hole where the door had been! "Link! Look!"

The couple stepped around the debris and entered the room. Everything was in place.

Everything, that is, except for the crown with the Spiritual Stones and the Ocarina of Time.

"Oh no!" Zelda cried. "Who could have done this?"

"I think I know," said Link. "Someone with a bomb. Falsto--Stalfo! Think about it, Zelda! Just rearrange the letters! No wonder he was so interested in this stuff! Ganon must have sent him here." Pieces of the puzzle were flying together in Link's quick mind.

"That explains his evasiveness," said Zelda. She turned and looked at her husband. "Oh, Link, what are we going to do? Ganon must be after the Master Sword if he's sent someone to take the Spiritual Stones and the Ocarina of Time! He'll use it to change history and conquer Hyrule if he can!"

"Only one thing we can do," said Link as he gazed at his wife. "Find the Master Sword before Ganon does."