Fan Fiction ❯ Runaway ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

No, I do not own the legend of Zelda or any other copyrighted things that I may happen to use. A lot of these characters are my own, and I would appreciate it if no one used them.
 
Chapter 1: The Beginning
 
 
“Hey! Move it!”
Lia was shoved to the ground, but she did nothing to retaliate. She merely picked herself up and dug her fingernails into her palms until she was sure she would bleed. This was her life. She was alone, or so she felt, and would be for the rest of her life. Lia wasn't a prep, a goth, a punk, a computer geek, or even a regular teenager… Not anything. She had no title, and no friends. Lia's life was so monotonous that she had been sure that one day she would drop dead from sheer exasperation and boredom.
 
Lia had been a foster kid for life. No, not the kind who get taken away from their parents because they were alcoholics. She never remembered having parents. All she had was Mr. and Mrs. Smith, who had usually left her alone ever since “took her in,” which Lia was certain was the nicer way to say “kept in the house for the money and hidden away from the gossiping neighbors.”
 
Lia was always moody, but when she was alone, humming to herself, or pouring over a novel, a bit of her outgoing personality would shine through.
 
“She's so emo!” Girls would giggle as she passed by. “Probably why she never has a boyfriend!”
The truth was, Lia wasn't “interested” in anyone. Everyone, in her opinion, was too shallow to mingle with, and she absolutely hated all of the generic boys, whose only thoughts concerned sports or girls.
 
Lia knew from the beginning that she would remain an outcast for the rest of her life. Not for her “emo” personality, but because she was also physically different. She had thick, raven hair that all the girls at Lincoln High coveted; strong limbs, and creamy skin without the load of acne you would expect from a 15-year-old. But most importantly, she had the gift of fire. She could make flames erupt from her palms, or set anything she held in her hands ablaze (she had still to master setting things a few feet away from her on fire). Lia could run faster than anyone else in her school easily, but she had learned to control this urge when she had beat the fastest boy in her old middle school in a race by 20 seconds. Her PE teacher had forced her to go out for track, but Lia soon quit when she found that the people on her relay team were too boring for her taste. Lia also had much more stamina and endurance than anyone she had met so far.
 
Lia was sick and tired of her life and was prepared to run away when a very curious event occurred. Lia as walking home after school when the alley behind her was temporarily illuminated by a blinding flash of light. Lia impulsively hid behind a gigantic trash bin. She finally gathered up enough courage and peeked briefly at the alley. One glance was enough to tell that the person in the alley wasn't human. He had long, pointed ears and had dark blue hair. He had appeared out of a gaping golden rip in the middle of the air. The boy looked around warily and left the ally, glancing behind him. Curiously, Lia walked toward the rip in the air. She stuck out her hand to touch it, but her hand passed through.
 
Lia stepped through without hesitating. She felt a rush of cool air and she realized that she was in a completely different world. Lia looked around and concluded that she was in some sort of stone building. In front of her, three glowing jewels rotated above a stone table. Behind her was a silver sword with a blue hilt that glowed with a mystic aura that she could not place. As if possessed, she strode towards the hilt and grasped it firmly with both of her hands. She gave a mighty tug and the sword came loose in her hands. Light filled the room and she couldn't see.
 
“HEY! What are you doing here?!”