Fan Fiction ❯ Second Advent of the Vow ❯ Vigil ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*Disclaimer: These characters are property of Namco. Nope, I haven't inherited the company yet...(just dreams...)


Chapter VI: Vigil



Silence. Only the crackling flames on the torches pierced the silence of the night. No, there was another sound underneath, whispers of a soft female voice in a polyrhythmic cadence. The sacred precinct echoed and augmented such sounds, caressing every marbled colonnaded corner. Words that the holy site heard spoken from devouts long gone were brought to life again.

The chosen warrior forced herself to remain awake and focused on her prayers. She shut her eyes again. The darkness, silence and her own voice coming from within were the only things that remained, along with the throbbing of her beating heart.

-"Athena, goddess of righteous war and wisdom, patron of our proud city, please listen to my prayers. Give this warrior a pure and brave spirit to face the unexpected in an honorable way. Give me strength so I can honor you in my quest. Help me to ease away my worries and fears."

The young warrior gripped her Omega sword tightly, the grooves of the hilt engraved on her soft yet callused palm. The blade reflected the serene expression of her emerald eyes. She had been praying since the pale Selene started to bathe the earth with her silver light. As the knights used to do before being given the order of knighthood, Sophitia chose to spend her last night at home praying and meditating. Her weapons were displayed in all their glory over a white altar cloth in front of the colossal figure of Zeus warrior daughter. Her body was covered plainly with a simple snow-white gown, contrasting dramatically with her blonde hair cascading over her firm shoulders, resembling an ivory and golden goddess herself.

She was searching for the remaining strength and clarity of mind and spirit needed to start her new quest for Soul Edge. The only way to defeat such an evil was with overwhelming faith and pure spirit and she knew she had to focus and regain them completely. A soft yawn escaped her mouth. Her legs cramped for all the time she had spent kneeled down. She slowly rose up as she massaged her aching muscles, feeling a chilly tingle as her blood rushed to her extremities.

Mind and body were finally coming together for the task at hand. The baker's daughter was gone as the warrior took control again. She was properly armed again, strong as agile as never before, and with her spirit pure and focused. She felt confident in her skills again and was convinced that this time she would banish Soul Edge from the face of the Earth forever. Even her fears of being more susceptible to the demonic blade's influence by the faint yet permanent imprint it left on her on their previous encounter had vanished. Her spirit after all, was stalwart enough to even withstand the cursed blade's spell.

Sophitia turned to where she had left her sword and shield and knelt again. A flutter of wings behind her stirred her. Her head followed the noise to witness in awe the sight of a white owl entering the temple. She followed the bird's flight until it stopped and stood over the ivory goddesses' hand, just beside a sculpted replica of itself that rested over the ivory likeness of Athena. The temple's shadows were banished with a light that seemed generated from within the temple. As the owl stepped over the rigid hand, the awe-inspiring figure of the Goddess of War seemed to gain life all of a sudden; its eyes made up of seashell now gleamed with supernatural life.

The owl flashed its rounded yellow eyes at Sophitia who didn't dare to move, her white robe bathed with the golden rays of light that came from the statue. Sophitia thought her fatigued mind was playing tricks on her when she thought she heard a soft, amiable female voice break the silence. Then, there were no more doubts on the young fighter. She understood her pleas had been answered.


-"Sophitia Alexandra, our chosen warrior. It's good to see you back here in my house." A serene, sweet voice seemed to be coming from the owl. "Don't be afraid. I have listened to your prayers, as I always do. I wanted to tell you that you have my blessings in this new quest. Also, I bring you words of caution."

At last, the Athenian's lips mustered some words, still in sheer awe at the presence of the goddess of prudent warfare. - "Athena, I thank you for your blessings and for allowing me to remain the Chosen one and your most stalwart servant. Is there something I need to know that could endanger my mission?"

-"Yes, my child. You already know of the danger and evil of Soul Edge and the Evil Seed on the hands of the wicked and weak of spirit. However, there's a new danger lurking these lands. They also covet Soul Edge. This heretical order is the responsible of turning another of our own warriors into one of their spawns." Athena's features turned glum and her voice sounded more severe as she uttered the last words.

-"You mean, the Spartan knight?" - Sophitia asked, still in disbelief that one of her kindred had turned into a servant of darkness.

-"Yes. This order has turned brave men like him into creatures of the night called Lizardmen. They attack viciously and bring dead and despair. These creatures are very dangerous. Their lizard skin and animal abilities make them terrible foes to face. And they know that you will be back as our warrior. They'll be looking for you. That's why I come to warn you and to give you instructions. Please heed my words!"

-"Instruct me, oh goddess of wisdom."

-"The first place you will start your quest is Italy. You will summon to the secret Coliseum were all the best fighters gather. This will enable you to contact allies and earn price money for your travels. You will need allies. Your foes are many now. Compete, fight and win! You'll be a formidable opponent, even more than before. And remember to remain alert, the legion of Lizardmen attack without warning. You must not allow them to defeat you. Go, Sophitia Alexandra, the oracle will be your guide once again. Go and destroy Soul Edge!"

A beat of wings ended the admonitions and as mysteriously as it had appeared Athena's messenger lifted to the air and swiftly took to the skies above, disappearing in the darkness of the night. The temple's shadows were challenged once again by the fickle tongues of fire coming from the torches and the rays of the moon that filtered through the elaborate portico. The larger than life presence of the war deity had injected a new confidence to the blonde maiden. The first steps of her journey were already laid out and now a seasoned, experienced and ever faithful warrior was ready to step up to a challenge that instilled fear in the heart of the more weak of spirit and resolve.

Silence, once again prevailed on the holy precinct and the young female warrior resumed her pious task while a soft smile curved on her lips and her eyes gleamed with reflections of victory.

And then, a promise from the heart, an oath, was pronounced:

-"I will not fail."



End of Book I

Author's notes:

Special thanks to my Beta Readers Karete Chan and Moon Giggles who have embarked with me on this daring odyssey to bring Sophitia's tale to life. Without their keen eyes, this story would be a royal pain in the butt to read. Thank you for your patience and great work.