Fan Fiction ❯ Sixth ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sixth Chapter 5  

In a room lit only by the pale moon, lay a sleeping girl lost in the comfort of her dreams, she was unaware of the events that had just happened. At the sound of the front door, opening her eyes snapped open, quickly sitting upright she reached for the baseball bat that she kept next to her bed, once she had the object firmly in her grip she climbed out of bed and stalk towards the door.
//This is bad….Of all the rotten luck….Well it’s a good job I’m one tough cookie// She told herself as she crept down the hallway towards the sounds. Once she arrived outside the bathroom door, which was illuminating the hallway via the small gap under the door. Without hesitation she kicked the door, bat raised ready to strike, just as she was about to strike she froze in her tracks. “Sixth, what are you…Oh my god what happened to you?” She suddenly paled as her eyes surveyed the damage. Blood had stained the once porcelain white bathroom a rusty red colour, his jacket and tank top had been thrown onto the floor, his gloves were nowhere to be seen. Sixth himself was sitting on the edge of the bathtub the shower was running, he was gouging out the infected flesh, blood poured from the wound, after he was satisfied that enough of the infected tissue was removed he took the shower head in his right hand and began to soak the wound with water.


“What are you doing?”

“I’m cleansing the wound site, I have to remove the damaged tissue to decrease the time it’ll take to regenerate,” He stated flatly, his gaze remaining on his task.

“Are you serious? How can tearing out chunks of flesh help speed up the healing process? God your stupid sometimes” She declared, exasperated to the point of wanting to beat some sense into him.

“If I remove the infection manually, my body will be able to divert all its resources to healing the wound, if I leave the infection my body will also have to fight that as well as heal me, so it makes sense to remove one of the two ailments”. The bleeding had slowed to an almost complete stop, after turning off the shower, Sixth leaned over to grab the first aid kit.

“Here let me do that, it’ll be difficult with only one arm” Shannah offered as she picked up the bandages and sat opposite the boy. They were silent for a long while as she began wrapping the wound. “So erm… How’d this happen?” She asked out of curiosity.

“I underestimated my opponent, but they came out of it worse off than me” He responded.

“I see….is it supposed to be twitching like that?” She asked as she sat staring at the aforementioned limb, which was randomly twitching.

The boys gaze followed the girls until it rested on his twitching arm. “No, I suffered damage beyond the Heiran limit, my brain has already blocked all the synapses from communicating with it, its supposed to be useless until the damage is sufficiently repaired” He noted as the limb began to twitch even more erratically.

“Then how can it be moving? Or does this have something to do with this ’Heiran limit’ you’ve just mentioned?” She questioned him; worry spreading across her face. After receiving no reply, she gave him a nudge, “Well?”

“The Heiran limit is the maximum amount of damage, an E series unit can suffer to its nervous system before the unit becomes useless. In theory my arm should be useless, but some how it’s still moving….this isn’t right…this is all wrong…..this is…” Sixth was unable to finish his sentence as searing pain tore through his head, he doubled over in pain, his hand holding onto his hair so tight that his scalp threatened to be torn away from his head. Shannah was frozen for the second time that night as she watched her friend double over in pain, whimpering as each wave became more vicious than the last. //What is this. Why does it hurt like this? Is there something….something in my head? How? // Sixth’s eyes snapped open and fixed themselves on his arm which was now reaching for his neck. //Is this the reason that my arm is moving on it‘s own. Can this thing be controlling me? Is this my punishment for my sins? No, I can’t give up control, I have to push it back…. //
//You can’t// A voice rang through his mind, then another venomous wave of pain hit Sixth again.

//I can…this is my body…and since its mine, your not welcome here….now get back// Sixth forced the pain to the back of his mind as he used all of his will power to suppress the alien force that was trying to kill him with his own arm. The pain began to diminish as the being let up its assault and sank into the darkest recesses of the boy’s turbulent mind. For a long while, the boy sat their, his dishevelled hair covering his face, until finally his breathing evened out.

“You ok?” The girl asked in a tone that was barely above a whisper.

“Yeah, I guess” The red head replied, his face still hidden by his hair.

“What happened?” She pressed on.

“Nothing, I guess that signals were still being sent to my arm and eventually the must have broken through, causing my arm to move like that….but its ok now, its stopped” He told her as he slowly stood on his feet and steadied himself against the sink.

“If you say so, anyways you should get some sleep, I’ll clean this up in the morning, now go to bed” She said pointing in the general direction of his room, it was more of a request then a demand. Without another word the boy slowly walked out of the bathroom and towards his room, Shannah didn’t move until she heard his bedroom door close. “You know, you’re a terrible liar” She then left the room, after closing the door and locking it, she headed to her room, and climbed into her now cold bed, “I’ve got a long day ahead of me tomorrow”.

------------
That night neither of the two slept peacefully, one haunted by an unknown entity while the other consumed by worry. All was silent, as a dark shadow swept across the halls and under the door to Sixth’s room, it crossed the room, the shadow climbed over the bed and entered the boy, finally it had found the perfect host. Dark symbols began to spread across the boys injured arm, these symbols originated from the wound site; long snake like pathways that joined at the point of origin connected them all to one another.

//Soon I will be reborn//. The shadow thought as it merged with its other self that was hiding within the boys mind.

-----------
Morning came far too early that day, the once sleeping city was slowly beginning to awaken, and the noises generated roused the injured boy from his sleep. The boy sat up and glared at the clock sitting on the desk opposite him, its constant ticking was beginning to annoy him even though he had just awakened, //Is it taunting me?, how dare it. I guess one that is stained black by sin doesn’t get to sleep late into the day//. A knock at the door pulled him out of his glaring contest with his clock, and all thoughts of sins and crimes were forgotten as a tall, burly man walked into the room, if looks could kill Sixth would have been dead the moment the man entered the room.

“What’s your problem kid? You think coming in late and getting blood over everything in the bathroom is funny?” The angry man asked his eyebrows were twitching as he tried to hold back the urge to smack the boy.

“No not really, now can you get out of my room, Shane? I’m sort of wanting to get dressed, have breakfast and then go and visit someone” Sixth replied as he looked out of the window, his mind already wandering.

“Don’t give me that ‘oh dear I’ve had a terrible life and that’s why I’m depressed crap’, you aren’t going anywhere until you clean up the mess you made you little….”

“Now, now bro watch your tongue or I might just have to rip it out” Shannah interrupted from the doorway. An icy glare from her was all that she needed to do before her brother backed away. “Why can’t you two just get along huh? I mean sure he trashed the bathroom, but he, unlike you, actually pays his share of the rent on time and if I remember correctly you still owe him for the time he paid your share off.

“Well that’s different…so you can just….shut your pie hole!” Shane screamed back. //Great she would have to bring up the fact that I owe him money//, the angry man’s shoulders dropped as he admitted defeat, “Fine have it your way but he had better be back by nine o’clock tonight or he’s out of here, ya got it?”

“Sure whatever now get lost” His smug sister responded, //Ha I win again so that’s Shannah twelve Shane zero, I’m so good I’m bad//. After motioning for the now defeated man to leave, she closed the door and approached the still distracted boy. “Don’t worry about the clean up, I did it first thing this morning, oh! Here take these they’ll help with the pain”, She placed a glass of water that she had been carrying on the nightstand and pulled out a jar of painkillers.

“Thanks…..I’ve got to go see someone today, but I’ll pay you back later….that ok with you?” He asked as he took a handful of pills and swallowed them. //I never thought I’d have to see ‘her’ again, and why does my shoulder still hurt? It should have healed the shallow damage by now//.

“Sure, so who are you meeting?” She asked in an I’m-going-to-find-out-no-matter-what-kind-of-voice. //I really am too good at this//.

“The pain hasn’t lessened, and the wound is healing slower that expected so I’m going to see someone who can tell me why” he responded in a emotionless tone, //I hate lying to her but until I know what this is I shouldn’t tell her……Lying yet another sin I’ve committed//.

“Right well I’ve gotta go and get some breakfast before the human trash disposal wakes up, I’ll see you later”, Shannah was out of the room before the stoic boy could answer.

//I know your there, so listen up, as long as you choose to stay in my head you’ll be living a life equal to that of a prisoner. You might be evil but I’m the darkness that evil fears, sooner or later I will find a way to seal you away but until then I’ll hold you back with nothing but the weight my sins//


-------------------------
Later that day, in the neighbouring city of Corra, klaxons can be heard ringing throughout the cities streets.


/-/ Warning this is a level 1 alert, the cities perimeter has been breached, all civilians are to evacuate to their designated shelters, all military personnel are to engage the enemy in combat, lock down will now begin /-/

Immediately the pavement in front of all the cities structures opened, dense armour plating rose from the openings and secured itself to the buildings. At every intersection, the road also opened and armed turrets rose up. At the cities, south gate a familiar figure is seen forcing the large gates open. //So they know I’m on the way huh?, well to bad they don’t have enough fire power to stop me//.As he entered the main street, a squadron of the City guards came rushing out from one of the alleyways, “You there, surrender or we will use force” the guard who must have been the commander ordered.

“If you don’t back down, I’ll be forced to use force also” Sixth replied, //They deployed non-Arcana units to deal with me? I feel insulted//.

“I repeat, Surrender or we will be forced to kill you,” The officer continued, despite his bravado he couldn’t stop himself from backing up several feet.

“Well I guess I have no choice but to do this the hard way,” He said aloud in a bored tone.

/-/ Alpha team, withdraw immediately do not, I repeat DO NOT engage the enemy. A level 2 alert has been issued by the ninth structure, operation shall commence in T-minus thirty seconds/-/.

The message was broadcast across the cities communication system. Almost immediately, the guards backed away slowly before turning and running out of sight. On the citywide TV screens, a countdown was displayed, and as the timer came closer to reaching zero the ground began to shake, the metal plating covering the building began to moan and resonate.

/-/10, 09, 08, 07, 06, 05, 04, 03, 02, 01, 00/-/

The pavement before Sixth opened and a defence turret more advanced than the others shot up out of the opening, after scanning the area it locked onto its target, both sides of the turret opened and two high-powered laser cannons were released. //What the hell? //. The dual cannons turned so that the barrels were directly in front of the unit, a high-pitched sound could be heard as the cannons began to charge, multiple targeting lasers swarmed over him, //Shit! It has me in its sights, no chance of dodging it now//. Time seemed to halt as the cannons fired.

//So this is your limit? On the other hand, do you simply wish to die? //. The shadow called through the darkness, //Don’t fear, this vessel is too valuable to lose right now//.

As the cannon fire hit, the ground was torn to pieces and the rubble was vaporised. As the smoke began to settle, the turret began to scan the area for any other hostiles. When the smoke finally cleared standing in the centre of the crater was what resembled a demon wrapped in its wings that is where the resemblance ended. Instead of being composed of flesh and blood, it was formed from shadows. The shadowy wings unfurled, and were absorbed into the body of the shadow. The shadow raised its head to reveal two large glowing yellow eyes; it then began to drain away. Pale flesh and black clothing could be seen. Once all but the left arm had been released, did the cannon finally register the image.

Standing there was a very much alive Sixth. //What the?, how come I didn’t die?//, as he stood there in a state of bewilderment, his left arm flung up and his opened palm faced the turret, what remained of the shadow flew forward from his arm wrapping itself around the turret before it began to constrict until it cut through the turret destroying the weapon completely.

//You see child, if you accept my powers you will become like a god//. The voice boasted evil intent ran through his body. His left arm then pointed to the sky as shadows began to gather around the unit. //Here’s another little taster of my power//. The shadows then spread out across the entire city, coating all of the defence turrets and destroying them.

//Impressive but unnecessary, now you can leave//.

//Sooner or later you will surrender yourself to me, and then no one shall be able to stop us//.

//Keep dreaming you parasite, there’s no way in hell I will ever give you control, now go back to whatever dark corner of my mind you call your home//, the shadow retreated and the shadows it had conjured dispersed. The bandages that had covered Sixth’s arm had been burned away exposing the marked flesh. //So it’s placed its seal on me, no wonder my arm isn’t healing properly, now to find ‘her’//, the boy continued his journey down the deserted streets that were lined with the wreckages of countless defence turrets.

------------

“To those who have sinned, and to those who have died, I carry on living for you”

--------

As the sun was setting and the pale moon was visible in the sky, the young red head was walking down a cold steel corridor. As the end came into his view, a less than friendly member of the bases security greeted him. The guard was nearly a foot taller than Sixth and was well built; he had short black hair that was spiked up. Once they were less than three feet apart their eyes met, blue-green clashed with onyx. “You must be the rogue X unit,” the officer stated.

“And what if I am, you planning on stopping me?” The unit shot back.

“I will if you force my hand” The officer dared

“I’m here to see ‘Mother’, now step aside”

“What?. You’re here to see ‘Mother’?” The young man asked taken aback by Sixth’s reason.

“Yes now open the door, I swear I won‘t do anything else, I just need to ask ‘her’ a few questions” As he spoke he held him hand over his heart, he then saluted and began to walked past the would-be guard and through the door that led to ‘Mother’.

-------
Once the doors behind him sealed, the room became illuminated and he moved to stand before his target.

“Hello ‘Mother’”

 

 

TBC……… ……………..

Next Time: Mother reveals the reason behind the E series development and the origins of Shiran. Also after failing to convince Sixth the Shadow takes measures that are more drastic.