Fan Fiction ❯ Sixth ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sixth   Chapter 10      

Some time later in a cold lab void of natural light, the almost inaudible sound of computers humming and the occasional whisper of voices can be heard. In the centre of the room, a large, clear cylindrical “tube” stood. It stretched high into the air and connected with countless pipes and wires at the ceiling. Murky green liquid filled the tube, still except for the occasional rush of bubbles that would form and rise to the top of it. Without warning, the lights came on in a cascade until the whole room was bathed in harsh light. A tall, middle-aged woman with short dirty blonde hair and small round glasses stood holding a clipboard occasionally looking at panels and taking down measurements.


“Excellent, the synapse blocker is working perfectly. Contact ‘Mother’ and inform her that everything is ready.” She both informed and ordered her subordinate.


“Yes ma’am, shall I wake him now?”


“Yes but make sure he is sedated enough as to not cause any problems.”


// Mother is sure to recognise my efforts now. //


“Ma’am, I have contacted Mother and she is transferring in via remote.” The subordinate shouted from across the lab. Within moments of this, a holographic avatar began to take form in front of the tube. The avatar’s hair was held up in a tight bun, and her outfit was something that a high-powered business executive would wear. She turned to face the startled lab technicians, a cold smirk clear on her features.

 

“M-Mother, we have the unit ready.” The superior faltered but regained her composure.


“I think that is obvious even to these inferior beings you call staff.” She snarled before continuing. “Is the unit restrained? And are the preparations complete for the data extrapolation?”

 

“Yes ma’am, a synaptic inhibitor has been “installed” and the unit is heavily sedated. We’re all ready for the extrapolation.”


“Good, then wake it.” She barked as she turned, once again facing the tube, the murky green liquid was soon illuminated, revealing an unconscious Sixth. He was naked, floating lifelessly in the tube; twin beams of light one horizontal the other vertical were sweeping over his body at regular intervals, performing high frequency scans. A small flutter of his eyelids showed that he was nearing consciousness.


// Where am I? //


// We have been captured. //

 

// Oh yeah, Arcana, I forgot. Have they discovered you? //


// Possibly, my seal is visible, however with your consent I can withdraw the seal into your flesh, hiding it from sight. //

 

// Since when did you start asking for permission to do anything to my body? //


// Since it became blatantly obvious that I can’t break your will, since I’m stuck here I might as well make it hospitable for the both of us. So do I have permission? //


// Go for it, you can be my trump card. //

 

// Very well. Ostendo sum Signum Iam(1) //

 

Immediately after the mutual agreement, the long snake like pathways began to retract into the centre of the seal. Once all of the pathways had been absorbed into the seal, the seal itself began to grow smaller or at least appear too, the truth was that it was hiding.

 

“I’m glad to see that you are awake, I wish for you to endure a world of pain.” Mother called through the ‘glass’ that made up the tube, her gaze met that of the unit’s, Ebony black clashing with blue-green. “What’s the matter? Aren’t you happy to see your dear, sweet mother? In addition, child, you will find it impossible to move, I had a synaptic inhibitor placed on your brain stem, rendering you immobile. You can still talk though; I want to hear your cries of pain.”

 

// I’m going to kill her, somehow, someway I will kill her. //

 

// First though we must escape. //


// I know just as I also know her, I have a plan. //


“Don’t you DARE IGNORE ME!” The avatar roared, her voice filled with hatred and anger. “Fine then, if you won’t talk then I guess I’ll have to force a rise out of you. I gave the third mother her orders, the same orders that ended up costing your comrades their lives. Forty-one died and you dishonour their sacrifices by becoming the pathetic being that stands before me now, I bet what’s left of them is turning it whatever form of shallow grave they have. At least I was able to gain something from this, your complete genetic code, I will soon have perfection and when I do, this world shall end. For you see you cannot defeat my armies alone, though I know you will try, and….”


“SHUT UP! You disgust me, you can mock me, torture me, tear me limb from limb so that I feel all the pain of the regeneration, but I will not allow you to disgrace them. It’s true they died, they fought the creature with everything they had, and it still beat them. I saw Fifth’s battle with it, and I saw her defeat, her death.” The enraged unit called from within the tube.


“What of it, should I care? Do you wish for me to break down and cry?”


“NO, I want you to die, I want you to suffer and finally I want you to burn in hell where you belong.”



// Child what are you doing? //


// I’m going to make her suffer, so stay out of it. //


Klaxons began to ring as the display monitors began to flash warning signs across them. Circuits and control stations began to explode, many of the staff were caught in these explosions. The lights began to flicker as power couplings were blown out.


“What is going on?”


“I have no idea, Mother you must get out.”


“No, this is nothing. I suggest you get the problem under control.”


“She can’t, I’m in control now.” All eyes turned to face the unit, their expressions ranged from confused to terrified. The water that once filled the tube had been replaced with liquid shadows; these shadows were thrashing against the sides of the tube making small cracks that were beginning to spread. The unit himself was no longer naked; instead, he was covered from neck to foot, in form fitting scale like armour. Two large black wings protruded from his back, still bent into their resting pose by the constraints of the tube. Once blue-green eyes had been replaced by glowing yellow ones that burnt with cold hatred.


“Contain it.” Mother ordered the remaining scientists.


“We can’t, the main system has been completely over-run, there’s contamination of everything including the IO system.” The head honcho informed the Avatar as she stared at the display, a look of pure terror spreading across her features.


“So, you think you’ve won.” Mother asked as she turned to face the now demonic Sixth. “Well I am afraid that you are no match for me, whether it is politically, physically or technologically. You forget that you are challenging the most powerful supercomputer in the world and on my home field too. I’ll show you that I am, and always will be, superior to you.”


“Time, a term used to describe the experiences which have passed; time brings change as it is the driving force of change. Much time has passed and by that logic, much change has occurred. You may have been superior to me once but no more, you should be happy for you have bore perfection. Now revel in your joy as you, whom was once considered perfection, meet your end at the hands of true perfection.” Sixth’s voice was now warped, no sooner had he finished speaking the tube shattered. Shadows resembling tentacles spread across the floor, engulfing terminals and displays, Deyanira’s seal was displayed on every one of the displays, proof that she, or at least her powers, were in control.

 

“You are nothing without me. Do you honestly believe that I will just lie down and die? I’m sorry to inform you but I…..”


“I wont go down without a fight. That is what you were going to say, was it not?”

“But of course.” Mother sneered back; if she were a snake, venom would have been dripping from her fangs.


“Good, it’s less fun if your opponent doesn’t fight back with everything they have. Nevertheless, you are a hologram, whereas I am flesh and blood. No matter that problem can easily be rectified.”


“Rectified? How?”


“Never mind, that my dear sweet mother is for another time.” Sixth’s wings unfurled, growing ever larger. Once his wings had grown to such a size that they were unable to fully open because of the walls, they closed around the boy, shimmering and pulsating as they turned back into the liquid shadows that they originally were. The shadows drained away until only Sixth remained, his hair was once again red and his eyes blue-green. “Well wasn’t that…argh!” Before he could finish his sentence, pain wracked his body the pain continued until he collapsed and fell into unconsciousness.