Fan Fiction ❯ Skies of Arcadia, the noble airpirate 2 ❯ Good news and bad news. ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Skies of Arcadia, the noble airpirate 2.
Good news and bad news.
 
It was another wonderful day on Crescent isle, home of Vyse the blue rogue and his crew of airpirates. Vyse himself was in the cafeteria, playing a game of poker with Lawrence the helmsman, Domingo the lookout, and Gilder, captain of the Claudia.
“I'm raising 100” Vyse said, pushing a pile on coins to the centre of the table.
“Well, I'm out!” Domingo sighed, dropping his cards face down on the table.
“Me too.” Gilder said, putting out the cigar he'd been smoking.
“I'll see that 100, and raise you with another 50.” Lawrence said, putting his coins on the table.
“Hm… Well, time to check out the cards.” Vyse decided, and Lawrence nodded. “Read `m and weep! A full house! The money is mine!” Vyse said grinning, turning over his cards and reaching for the pile of coins.
“Just one second!” Lawrence snapped, and he laid his own cards down on the table.
“A royal flush!” Vyse gasped, and his helmsman started scooping the coins into his pockets.
“Royal flush? Isn't that a discovery?” Domingo asked wildly.
“No Domingo, no it's not.” Vyse said in an annoyed tone of voice.
“It's strange how you keep winning Lawrence. But you wouldn't cheat would you?” Gilder asked.
“Erm… No! Ofcourse not!” Lawrence said, quickly putting away the cards he had secretly marked before the game started.
 
Suddenly, the cafeteria door swung open, and there was a collective gasp. Alfonso, admiral of the imperial armada, entered the room, stepping over Don the drunkard as he approached the poker table. Vyse's hand automatically moved to his cutlass, but Lawrence stopped him.
“What are you doing here brother?” he asked.
“Well, I have good news and bad news.” Alfonso began.
“That's never good…” Gilder mumbled.
“Firstly, I must inform you that our father has passed away.” The admiral continued.
“Wha?!” Lawrence uttered.
“Yes… Sad, isn't it? Apparently he tried to swim in his money, and drowned.” Alfonso said, dabbing his eyes with a hanky. Lawrence however, did not seem to find this sad. His face showed no sign of sadness whatsoever.
“And now, for the good news.” Alfonso sniffed.
“Huh? I thought that was the good news.” Lawrence mumbled.
“According to father's will, you still get half the inheritance.” The admiral said, and there was a loud cheer. Lawrence grabbed Vyse's arm and started dancing around the room.
“However…” Alfonso interrupted.
“However?” Lawrence repeated, stopping in mid-dance.
“If you want the money, you'll have to join to imperial armada.”
“Wha?!” Lawrence stuttered, dropping Vyse to the floor.
“That is our father's wish.” Alfonso said solemly.
“Hahah! Well, that's crazy! Lawrence would never join the armada! He belongs with us! Right Lawrence?” Vyse asked laughing, as he got to his feet again.
“Ehm… Yeah… It's crazy…” Lawrence stuttered.
“Hm… I see… Well, the offer still stands. If you change your mind, contact me by post pigeon.” Alfonso said, flicking his hair back. And with that he swept from the room.
“He's such a strange man. Why didn't he kill us all now that he was here?” Domingo asked.
“Alfonso was never one to start a fight when he is grossly outnumbered. Anyway, my father is dead, and that calls for celebration!” Lawrence said happily.
“Yeah! Let's go down to the crew lounge and open some loqua bottles!” Vyse decided, and the group left the cafeteria. The sun had started to set.
“Hm… You know what Vyse? Go on ahead. I'll join you in a minute.” Lawrence said, and he ran off to the crew cabins.
 
A few hours later, the gang was completely drunk . Well, not everyone. Lawrence had only pretended to be drinking. When the guys had finally fallen asleep, he took one last look around the lounge. Gilder and Domingo were on one couch, and Vyse was lying on the other. An empty loqua bottle littered the floor next to it.
Suddenly, Pow came up to Lawrence, and stared at him with his big puppy dog eyes.
“I'm sorry Pow, I can't…” Lawrence began, but Pow's eyes only grew larger and cuter. “Oh alright! Let's go!” he said, and Pow gave a happy bark.
“Sssh, you'll wake everyone up!” Lawrence whispered.
`Vyse, pray that our path's never cross again. For when they do, we will be enemies.' He thought, as he opened the lounge's door. Vyse gave a slight snore and rolled onto his side.
As Lawrence left the underground cavern, he saw that Alfonso was already waiting for him.
“Well, let's go then. We haven't got all night. And what, for the love of Cher, is that?” Alfonso asked with a hint of disgust in his voice, as he indicated the purple husky.
“That's Pow!” Lawrence said simply.
“Well, it's no purebred like my Celine…” Alfonso began, flicking back a lock of his hair. “But I suppose it could make a decent guard dog…” he said, as he led the way to his boat.
“Hmm..” Lawrence said absentmindedly.
“Well, we shall return to the Cygnus, and immediately leave for Valua.” Alfonso continued, clumsily stepping into the little lifeboat.
“Yeah, alright.” Lawrence said simply. He looked back one last time.
`Farewell, Crescent isle.'