Fan Fiction ❯ Skies of Arcadia, the noble airpirate 2 ❯ One vice captain down... ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Skies of Arcadia, the noble airpirate 2
One vice captain down...
 
Lawrence awoke early the next day and decided to leave his quarters for a walk. When he entered the hallway however, he saw that Ramirez was waiting for him.
“Well?” the boy demanded.
“Well what?” Lawrence asked.
“How did you sleep? Were the beds comfortable? Did you feel like sinking away into the fluffy-ness of the mattress? Or perhaps, were the beds still not good enough for your richboy taste? Will you be sending for your own custom bed, just like your brother? Hm?” Ramirez pressed, still determined to catch Lawrence doing something snobby.
“Actually, they were too good.” Lawrence said truthfully.
“Wha?” Ramirez stuttered, looking temporarily stunned.
“They were so good I just couldn't sleep, so I had to sleep on the floor. Say, do you know if they sell hammocks in upper Valua?” Lawrence asked, grinning at Ramirez's response.
“You son of a-” Ramirez began, but he stopped in mid-sentence. His eyes went wide and he looked around. “Suck-up… sense… tingling…” he muttered.
A few seconds later, Galcian rounded a corner and headed straight for them. Ramirez sank to his knees, but Lawrence just stayed on his feet. Galcian ignored Ramirez, and turned to Lawrence.
“It is time for your first mission.” He said simply, and Lawrence blinked.
“It is?”
“Yes. You are to go to Sailor's island undercover, and meet one of our most important business partners in the tavern. You will pay him the pre-arranged amount of gold, and then return the goods you receive to Valua. If he suddenly raises the price, or gives you less than five crates, you are free to kill him.” Galcian explained.
“What's in the crates?” Lawrence asked, filled with curiosity.
“Romance novels.”
“Romance novels? You want me to guard a cargo of romance novels?” Lawrence asked, dumbstruck.
“Yes. I'm sure you know that romance novels are highly appreciated literature here in upper Valua.” Galcian said impatiently, and Lawrence shrugged. “So you are to report to the docks immediately. The Lupus is already being prepared for the journey.” He continued.
“Aye aye.” Lawrence said, supposing he'd better salute too. Galcian smiled, slightly amused, and then turned to face Ramirez, who had gotten to his feet by now.
“Come along Ramirez. We have some business to attend to.” He ordered, and he walked down the hallway. Ramirez stuck out his tongue at Lawrence and ran after him.
`Oh goody, my first mission…' Lawrence thought sarcastically, turning back to his room to get some breakfast.
 
An hour later Lawrence entered the Valuan docks, followed by Pow. Lawrence decided to take the husky along for the ride, since it would be animal cruelty to leave him alone for so long.
“Let's see now… Which is the Lupus?” Lawrence muttered, staring at all the ships he passed. Suddenly he saw a stream of Valuan soldiers marching up a boarding plank. The ship itself looked a bit like the Delphinus, only smaller and with a nose that was not quite as long. It was painted purple, and had occasional streaks of silver metal. A light purple wolf was painted on the side. It looked as though it had a fair amount of cannons, and a hidden moonstone cannon in the front. A sign told Lawrence that it was indeed the Lupus, and he walked after the Valuan soldiers to board it.
 
Lawrence entered the bridge and looked around. It was kind of like the Delphinus, only less luxurious. Pow walked around the room and sniffed a random soldier's leg.
“Ah, you must be captain Lawrence.” Said a man in overlarge armor, approaching him.
“I suppose I am.” Lawrence nodded.
“Nice to meet you. I'm your new vice-captain.” Said the man, extending his hand. Lawrence hesitated for a moment, and then shook it. But suddenly, the man, who was already of old age, suffered from a lethal heart attack, and dropped dead. Lawrence quickly jumped back, and all the other soldiers stared at him.
“Did you see that? He killed the vice captain just by touching him!” whispered one guy.
“He's more like his brother than we thought!” whispered another.
“I didn't do anything! I swear!” Lawrence shouted, bright red. The soldiers looked quite unconvinced, so Lawrence quickly changed the subject. “Let's just set off for Sailor's island!” he said, and he approached the helm with a hungry look in his eyes. He was stopped however, by one of the soldiers.
“Sir, you don't have to do anything. Just sit back and relax.” The guy said, gesturing towards the captain's chair.
“But I wanna steer the ship!” Lawrence said weakly, shifting uncomfortably.
“Sir, if you do, we'd be out of a job. Besides, these Valuan ships are way harder to control than normal airships.” Said another soldier. Lawrence grinded his teeth in defeat and walked over to the captain's seat. It wasn't known that he was once the helmsman of the Delphinus, one of the greatest Valuan ships ever built, and he planned to keep it that way.
“Well, eh… Off to Sailor's island then.” Lawrence commanded weakly, and the soldiers nodded. The Lupus had soon departed.