Fan Fiction ❯ Spellbound ❯ The Residents of Peace Valley ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: The Residents of Peace Valley
 
Kenji carried on as strong as ever as he, Kiki, Okuni, and Yuki neared the large valley. As they got closer, a strange, yet inviting aura washed over them. The demon took the opportunity to sniff the air of the wind that came from the valley and enjoyed the fresh scent of mountain air. Kiki was happy about reaching civilization and being able to sleep without the presence of the demon lord that angered her so much. She also hoped that the inn would have a hot spring so she could take a long- awaited bath. The only thoughts in her mind were sleeping, eating and bathing, more so sleeping. The long walk had drained her body, and she felt as if she could drop at any second. Due to the fact that she was still stripped to the waist, with the exception of a black sports bra, Kiki knew she neither would nor could rely on that pompous- ass demon to carry her.
 
“Please… let's stop… I'm about to die,” Kiki pleaded desperately to Kenji.
 
“Why? We've only a few miles left to travel,” Kenji informed, uncaring as always.
 
“You heartless bastard!” Kiki cursed with a sudden energy as she readied her Watazashi.
 
“Don't be foolish,” arrogance played on his features, “You can hardly stand, let alone lay a hand on me.”
 
Kiki charged at him with her Watazashi ready to taste his blood. The demon stood ready and caught her by the wrists. She struggled frantically against his grip shouting obscenities at him until he pushed her down. Okuni rushed over to her owner's side as she pushed herself up from the dirt while eyeing the silver- haired phoenix.
 
“Learn your place,” he stated before he walked off and earning a hateful growl from Okuni.
 
Trying a sneak attack, she threw her Watazashi blade at the head of the demon hoping for his death. To her dismay, he caught it and was right in front of her as she was getting up. His crimson eyes were as cold as ever as looked down upon her 5'10 foot form. Kiki never noticed how tall Kenji was until now, four inches from seven feet. He quickly brought his fist to her bare midsection causing her to stumble back while clutching her stomach. Okuni glared up at him and let out a feral growl with her fangs openly bared. Still, Kenji remained unfazed. This act surprised even Yuki, who had known Kenji since he was a child.
 
“You'd be wise to learn your place. Next time I won't be so merciful.”
 
 
Much later, the quartet was walking in silence in the direction of the valley. Kiki clutched her stomach where Kenji had struck her and was unusually quiet. Okuni mewed as if questioning her caretaker's condition, but not even that could snap the teenager out of her silence. Those words hurt, like one thousand daggers going through her body, even though they weren't new. It was something she hadn't heard in three years. Learn your place. She heard it just about every day back then and it hurt each time that it was said and she never let it show. For some odd reason when he said it, the words hurt more, but she'd never let anyone know that.
 
Kenji walked along the path with a plain look on his face, while Yuki walked alongside him with his head down. Did he even care for the guardian girl's condition? His belief was that she had it coming to her in reparation for her sharp tongue. She needed to learn that she was a weak guardian who by nature is beneath a demon with his status and all he did was help her learn it. He only thumped her lightly in the abdomen. As for what he said, should it really matter? Not really, he talked badly about her whenever he could so, she should be used to it. Where was her trademark fiery comeback?
 
Yuki didn't even want to look at his holder now. Instead he focused on the ground and took some time to look back at Okuni and her holder who was still clutching her stomach. He turned his gaze to the ground and walked several paces behind Kenji as he reviewed on what he had done. Never in all the days that he had known the phoenix, had he ever seen him hit a girl, a human guardian no less. Then again, he did always have an intense hatred for guardians and mortals. Had his holder's hate finally surfaced? Nevertheless, Kiki is still a girl, no matter what she was, and the phoenix never hit girls, but the guardian was different. Their relationship was almost like a battle, an ongoing battle which knew no end. Even knowing that fact, it still didn't calm Yuki's want to transform and shake the phoenix down.
 
 
A young man with light brown hair pulled into a low ponytail watched the two and their animals from a tree that a guard house was built in. His auburn irises moved from each member of the group and stopped on Kiki who was clutching her bare midsection and covered in reddish bruises. He focused on the ones on her neck, collarbone, and chest area and cursed the demon in front of her silently. He came to a quick conclusion of the events that transpired between the two.
 
The young woman had been picking flowers with the small cat in the sunshine while wearing a very modest kimono, until the phoenix demon came. The girl screamed as he made off with her atop the ferret demon. They stopped at a secluded area where he raped her leaving the red bruises of his work. He then gave her new clothes that he approved of and forced her to follow him against her will. Along the road he found other places where he took her repeatedly.
 
Shinichi wouldn't allow her to be taken again. He would make that demon pay for shattering the purity of the young woman! He had fallen in love with the girl upon sight and saw it as his duty to rescue her from that oppressive demon!
 
 
Kenji stopped in his tracks because he picked up on the presence of the male shapeshifter and spoke, “Come out.”
 
The young shapeshifter with elflike ears just smirked as he ran past the under informed demon and up to Kiki who was still in a slightly hunched position. Okuni, who was no longer taking any chances, attacked the earth shapeshifter's left ankle. Shinichi obviously didn't notice until he heard the woman of his affections command the cat to stop. She switched her attention to the lovely youthful shapeshifter in front of her. All this time Yuki and his master stood back and watched the whole scene.
 
“A woman of your beauty deserves a real man,” Shinichi commented before he kissed her hand making her blush. “I am Shinichi. What may I call you?”
 
Kenji didn't take to well to the man complimenting Kiki and asked, “How do you find attraction to that creature possible?”
 
Shinichi wouldn't have anyone insulting his woman and clouted Kenji square in the jaw. The silver- haired demon crashed on the dirt from the force of the punch that was too swift for him to avoid. Yuki sat at the fallen demon's side while Kiki and Shinichi smirked. Shinichi put an arm around Kiki's slim waist and pulled her closer to his side. Okuni sat at Kiki's side and watched Kenji with a slight hint of concern, but still got the sense that he deserved it.
 
Kiki ignored Kenji then turned to face the shapeshifter and answer his question, “My name's Kiki.”
 
Shinichi picked the worn out girl up bridal style and looked her in the eyes while asking, “Is there anything that I may assist you with? Beating up bird- crap perhaps?”
 
“Bed,” Kiki murmured before letting collapsing into a deep sleep.
 
“Consider it done,” He answered gently then jerked his head around to where the demon lord stood dusting off his cheongsam, “What the hell have you been doing to this girl? What sort of man forces himself on a girl?”
 
“Don't be ridiculous,” Kenji responded calmly, “I would never waste my time with a woman such as her.”
 
 
The residents in the valley, which were mainly couples, looked over the group of five with curiosity and perplexity. The only people who entered this valley were couples and the only couple they could see in the group was the white ferret and white cat with black tiger stripes on its back. Everybody was familiar with Shinichi and some figured that the phoenix demon was angry that he was carrying his girlfriend. The rest thought the girl in the well- known shapeshifter's arms was Shinichi's girlfriend and the phoenix demon was mad because he wanted her. The few guardian couples looked over at the unconscious girl with disdain, and they did the same thing to Kenji, but he just brushed it off. The female demons gazed at Kenji with infatuation and he didn't give them a second thought. Shinichi shot death glares to any man he saw looking at Kiki the wrong way.
 
“Kenji-kun!” a female's voice rang as she bounded up to Kenji and the group.
 
The said demon eyed the phoenix demoness with suspicion and a slight intrigue. She had fiery red hair that met the end of her shoulder blades and wide crimson eyes. Her clothes consisted of a pair of tight black shorts and a tight red sleeveless silk cheongsam embroidered with a golden phoenix. She also wore a black hostler on her right thigh that was only seen through the sides of her cheongsam and small black boots that had straps and buckles instead of shoestrings. Her claws were manicured to perfection and her fangs gleamed despite the lack of sunlight. She looked very appealing to him, but he wasn't going to let her know that.
 
“Who are you?” Kenji asked very calmly.
 
“You've changed!” the demoness complimented while patting Kenji's chest. “Last time I saw you, you were looking up at me! I see you've managed to put some muscles on you! Ah, your silver hair is so-“
 
“This is the last time I will ask you,” he began with a slight annoyance in his voice, “Who are you?”
 
“It has been a few centuries since you've last seen me,” she began in her energetic voice, “You're so forgetful, silly albino.”
“Fae,” Kenji recalled with much displeasure as he held Yuki back with his foot for the albino comment.
 
“What's with the human?” Fae asked switching her attention to Kiki who still slept in Shinichi's arms. I didn't know you were into them. I must say you could've done better. Even for a human, she does look weak.”
 
“Hey!” Shinichi retorted in Kiki's defense. “She'd be up if it wasn't for bird-crap here!”
 
Kenji couldn't help but let out a small smirk at Fae's comment. It would have been funny to see Kiki's reaction. No doubt she would've gotten another few blows that she deserved. It's like the saying goes: Don't bite off more than you can chew.
 
“I have no interest in her,” he finally answers Fae.
 
“Good!” Fae chirped while pulling Kenji off by the arm. “I'll show you around.”
 
“You're all mine now,” Shinichi smirked once the two phoenix demons were out of earshot and walked off with the unconscious girl in his arms.