Fan Fiction ❯ Stroke of Luck ❯ Part Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own, don't sue.

AN: I realize that they probably don't have Chinese food in Lylat, but I didn't know what else to call it.

PART THREE
CHAPTER FIVE

*Stroke of luck or a gift from god.

Hand of fate or devil's claws.

From below or saints above you come to me now.

Don't ask me why,

Don't even try.*

Friday night, outside the Cornerian Air Force Base

The Cornerian sky was aflame in hot pinks and reds and oranges, indicating the setting sun. The red light reflected off the mirrored windows of a particularly large building, where a lone figure stood in waiting.

Fox stood outside the base, nervously shifting his weight from one foot to the other. He was dressed for his date, and found himself anxiously playing with the collar of his white flannel. He held a bouquet of daisies in his unoccupied paw, silently awaiting Fay, who was finishing up her duties at the base.

Apprehension suddenly wrapped its tendrils around Fox's brain. Was he doing the right thing? Was he really attracted to Fay? She had been so happy, almost overjoyed that he had asked her out. But how did he feel about her? She was pretty, sure, but anyone cold appreciate beauty. She was intelligent, sweet, and funny, with a spunky adventurous feisty side. She was......

She was a good friend. Was that it? Was that the problem, he couldn't stop thinking of her as a friend long enough to think of her as a love interest? Then why did he feel so......

"Hey, Fox!"

Fox spun around to witness Katt skipping down the stairs to the building, firmly attached to Falco's arm. She had her hair pulled up in a ponytail, a pale blue mini-skirt and tank top off-setting her carnation pink fur. Her sandals clicked audibly on the sidewalk as she skipped lightly. Fox swallowed. She was beautiful.

"You look..... great, Katt."

The feline modestly blushed, thick mascara lashes dropping demurely. She brushed a lock of hair out of her eyes, one arm still tightly fastened to Falco's arm. He was dressed in a black silk shirt, the first few buttons undone, and a pair of old, frayed jeans which hugged his lean form. His black leather boots thudded on the pavement, off-setting the playful click of Katt's sandals. All and all, they made an attractive couple. Fox tried to find the words to articulate the notion, but failed

"Fox! I'm sorry I'm late!" came a new female voice, and Fay came running up to join the group.

She had her ears tied up in pink ribbons like pigtails, a simple hot pink sheath fitting her slim form perfectly. She tripped lightly in her jelly sandals, the four-inch heels adding to her height. Pink eye shadow accompanied black mascara, a healthy flush adding a rosy hue to her cheeks. Blushing, she stepped over to Fox.

"Well?"

Fox smiled, lightly tugging at one ear, a habit since he had first met her. It annoyed the hell out of her, especially since she knew she would always be thought of as adorable, but never sexy. She was pretty, yes, but far too young-looking. Fay was thin, but lacked the curves that defined a grown woman. Secretly, she had always been jealous of Katt's figure, but chose not to say anything.

Still lightly twisting long white tresses between his fingers, Fox remained speechless. He had known Fay for most of his life, and yet.... he never realized how beautiful she really was. Fay had never worn make-up before that night, and certainly never a dress. She had always been the tomboy of the group, too boyish to fit in with the girls, but too girly to fit in with the boys. He had never noticed how much she had grown, curves notwithstanding.

"You look fantastic, Fay," Fox finally said, releasing her ear and offering her the flowers. She blushed, thanking him and taking the flowers, reaching up to peck him lightly on the cheek. Dimly, he felt Fay slip her paw into his.

Fox looked over to see Katt, who smiled back at him.

"Looks like we'll see you later, Tiger. Falco's promised me a night on the town."

Fox nodded, looking over to Falco, who looked away from him. "C'mon, Katt, let's go," he said, lightly tugging the girl towards the direction he wanted to go. With one last wink at Fox, she bounced along beside him.

For a moment Fox felt an irrational fear that Falco was walking out of his life.

Later that night, downtown Corneria City

So far, so good. The date had gone well after a little trouble in the beginning, but Fox found himself relaxing in Fay's company as the girl chatted along beside him, her paw still holding onto his. She had one daisy tucked behind her ear, the rest swinging idly from her other paw. All thoughts of Falco had vacated his thoughts, his mind focusing on Fay.

Dinner had been at the China Jade restaurant, a frequent haunt of Fox's. It wasn't widely known, though, that Fox had a fancy for Chinese food, but he couldn't get enough of the stuff. Fay's voice was drowned out as something hit Fox.

"Hey, Fox. I came to see if we were still on for Friday night. I didn't expect to encounter Lylat War II."

Falco. He had promised Falco he would take him to the Chinese restaurant tonight, that's why he had acted so cold and sullen the past few days. The avian had never had Chinese food before, although sometimes Fox droned on and on about it. Finally, one day last week he shyly asked if Fox would get him some, and Fox had promised to take him to the China Jade, where he could eat Chinese food to his heart's content. He had forgotten all about it. In his desperation to prove that he was straight, Fox had forgotten all about Falco.

"Fox? Fox! Are you listening!"

Jolted back to reality by the sound of Fay's voice, he snapped his head around to look at Fay, who stared up at him, her sky blue eyes slightly narrowed, a cute pout on her face. "Weren't you listening at all, Fox?" She repeated.

"Uh, I'm sorry, Fay, I think I spaced out for a moment. It must be the air..... it's too crowded here, don't you think?"

"Wanna go back to my place?"

Fox stopped, not sure he had heard Fay correctly. She stared up at him, an expectant look on her face. Well, here you go, Romeo, time to prove yourself to everyone.

Not trusting his voice, Fox nodded.

CHAPTER SIX

*A stroke of luck or a gift from god.

The hand of fate or devil's claws.

From below or saints above you came to me.

Here comes the cold again, I feel it closing in.

It's falling down and all around me falling.*

Later, Fay's apartment, downtown Corneria City

Fox sat on Fay's couch, nervously tugging at the collar of his shirt. His paws were clammy, a cold sweat beading up on his forehead. On sneaker lightly tapped on the immaculate white carpet, making a soft, muted pata-pata-pata noise. His eyes skittishly roamed around the tiny living room, from the highly polished mahogany coffee table, to the big screen TV, to the shelves housing various paraphernalia ranging from tiny figurines to framed pictures, to other miscellaneous odds and ends. The white and pink hues of the room and the polished and dusted furniture suggested a woman's touch, but the tiny clutters of out-of-place objects hinted a more male-esque influence. An autographed picture of Fay's favorite football star was hung predominately in the center of the far wall, near the bookcase. Fox dropped his eyes to his jittery feet.

Fox stared down at his feet, as if they were the most interesting things in the universe. He suddenly felt afraid, and out of his league. He hadn't ever even kissed a girl, for hell's sake! But still, to prove to everyone else, to Bill, to himself........

He didn't want to use Fay, but he did like her. But was it love? Could he honestly say that he loved her?

"Sorry it took so long, Fox," Fay's bubbly alto broke his thoughts. She cared a tray with a chocolate cake on it, along with to wine glasses and a bottle of red wine. "Hope you're up for desert," she chirruped. "I baked the cake myself."

Fox smiled, taking the tray from her and setting it down on the coffee table. He gratefully poured the wine while Fay dissected the cake into slices. Before she had even finished cutting, Fox had downed his first glass of wine and was working on his second. Before Fay's startled eyes, but finished the second one in one gulp, set the glass down, and wiped his mouth of the remaining droplets of wine.

"I guess you're really thirsty," she said, sitting down next to Fox. He smiled sheepishly, suppressing a burp and pouring himself another glass. He didn't intend to get plastered, just drunk enough to loosen up. It felt as if something inside him was wound up too tight, and if he didn't calm down he thought he just might explode.

"Well, bon appetite," Fay quipped, handing Fox a small plate with a piece of cake on it. He smiled again, slightly blushing as she stared at him expectantly. Slowly, he cut off a bite-sized piece with his fork and slipped the piece in his mouth, the chocolate melting over his tongue. Upon seeing that Fox didn't grimace or spit it out, Fay smiled, nursing her own piece of cake.

They sat in silence for a few moments, a tranquility that wasn't completely unpleasant but slightly uncomfortable, while Fox knocked back countless glasses of wine. Finally, after his five or sixth (he had lost count), Fox was beginning to feel the effects of the alcohol on his system, and slowly he wound an arm around Fay. She blushed slightly, staring up into Fox's slightly bloodshot eyes. Deciding to take the initiative, Fay pulled herself up and pressed her muzzle to Fox's eliciting a gasp from the boy. Using his lapse to her advantage, Fay slipped her tongue inside and explored his mouth.

When Fay pressed her muzzle to his, Fox gasped, feeling the control of the situation suddenly slipping from his fingers. Here it was, his first kiss, and he had no clue as to go about kissing her back. He felt her slide her tongue into his mouth, the warm flesh stroking his tongue and the insides of his cheeks, and couldn't help but feel that somehow, it was wrong, all wrong and he--

He pushed her off him, making a mad dash for the bathroom.

Great, just fucking great, genius! Some Romeo you are!

Fox was in the bathroom, on the floor, leaning against the tub near the toilet. He had just expelled the chocolate cake and Chinese food from his stomach, and was now hanging between Hell and Limbo, in the depths of self flagellation and despair. What in the hell was he going to tell Fay?

Oh, sorry, your kiss made be throw up. Oh, yeah, she'll really enjoy that one, huh, Lothario? Get a fucking grip on yourself, here!!

Fox sat, his back pressed against the tub, staring up at the white ceiling. So great, then. Why did he throw up? Why didn't he enjoy kissing Fay? Fox swallowed as another wave of nausea washed over him, and he squeezed his eyes shut. So, was it really true then? Is that why he couldn't kiss her? Was he really in love with...... Falco?

But no! That was wrong! It was unnatural, it was disgusting it was....... it was........ it felt right. Everything he had done with Falco, it was really love and not friendship, wasn't it? It had been all along, hadn't it? Suddenly, Fox felt his whole world rearranged. Or rather, securely fixed, anchored down. With that notion came a wave of comfort at finally realizing who he was, even if it was something he didn't perceive himself to be. He had never found himself attracted to any other guy, just Falco. But, he was off with Katt somewhere, probably having the time of his life.

With a shaky sigh, Fox struggled to stand up, walking over to the mirror. He studied the stranger's face in the reflective glass, realizing that he wasn't such a stranger anymore. He quickly washed and dried his face, wiping his paws off on a pink pastel towel. He took a moment to collect his thoughts, then, squaring his shoulders, he opened the bathroom door and stepped out to face the music.

He walked into the living room to find Fay still sitting on the couch, nervously chewing her lip and playing with the hem of her dress. She looked up when he came in, the sadness apparent in her watery blue eyes.

"It was my cooking, wasn't it? I'm sorry that I--"

Fox held up a paw to silence her, sitting down beside her. He swallowed once, feeling the cold sweat break out on his forehead again. "No, Fay, it's not that. The date was perfect, you're perfect. It's just... I.... I'm....." Hell, why is it so hard to say?

Fay seemed to understand, grabbing Fox's paw and rubbing soothing circles over it. "I..... I understand, Fox." She broke off for a moment, a bittersweet smile gracing her features. "In a way, I guess I'm glad it's not another girl."

Fox smiled slightly. They sat for a moment in silence, one that was comfortable and calming, before Fox stood up. "I guess I better get back home," he whispered, hugging Fay, feeling her slender arms wrap around his neck. She pecked him lightly on the cheek, a kiss from one friend to the other.

"Get some rest, Fox."

He nodded, standing up to leave.

Fox wandered up and down the streets of Corneria City, trying his best to remain inconspicuous. His limp was acting up, made worse by the alcohol in his system. He stumbled along the streets in a dreamy haze, the hot night air fluttering through his fur. He looked up from the sidewalk just in time to see--

To see----

Falco. Falco and Katt.

She had her arms wrapped around his waist, and she was laughing about something, her head nestled on his shoulder. He stared down at her, a smile lighting up his face, one arm around her, the other wing holding onto a doggie bag of some sort. She reached up on her tip-toes and kissed him, soundly on the lips.

Fox couldn't stop the broken sob that escaped his throat, or the tears that had begun to run down his face. His pitiful wail had caught the attention of Katt and Falco, the latter of the two calling his name. Fox spun around hastily, the world spinning for a moment in neon lights and black sky before coming blurrily into focus as he managed a shambling jog in trying to escape.

Falco stood stock-still, Katt still clutching him as he stared at Fox, who was running away. At Fox's cry, Falco had snapped his eyes open, his emerald orbs coming to rest on Fox's face, the tears running down his cheeks, the betrayal written on his face--

The love.

Suddenly the pieces fit in Falco's head, and he knew that if he didn't run after Fox that second he'd be missing something for the rest of his life. He tried, but he just couldn't make himself move. He stared, watching Fox get farther and father away, until Katt shook some sense into him. She released him, shaking his shoulders slightly.

"Go, Falco. I understand. I think it was just a silly dream of mine, anyway, that we could be together," she said, staring up into Falco's eyes. She stroked the back of his neck with one paw as she continued. "I'll always love you, Falco, but it seems someone else loves you more. Now go and find him before he kills himself." She had meant it was a joke, but the stricken look in Falco's eyes confirmed her suspicions. She pushed him gently once more, and he was off like a shot.

"Fox! Fox, God damn it, slow down!" Falco called after Fox, easily overcoming him. Fox shot back a drunken insult, continuing to stumble along the pavement. Falco finally reached him, and grabbed a hold of his arm, forcing the vulpine to face him. Fox looked p at Falco, the tears still streaming pitifully down his cheeks. As if on instinct, Falco reached out to hold Fox's face with one wing, slowly stroking the tears off.

"Fox..... I'm sorry...." Falco started, but was cut short but Fox's drunken rambling.

"I'm so, so sorry Falco, I didn't know, I swear, I...."

It was Falco's turn to shut Fox up, as he pressed his lips to Fox's, not betraying any hormones, just a sweet, chaste kiss. He slowly felt Fox relax, his arms winding their way around his neck, digging into the soft feathers at the back of his head. Falco dropped his wing to the small of Fox's back, pressing him closer. The kiss deepened as Fox opened his mouth, and breathing had become an option.

It finally ended when Fox hiccuped, both realized just how drunk he really was when he fell against Falco, who supported him with one arm. They stood together for a moment, Fox leaning heavily against Falco, his face buried in his chest, hiccuping into his shirt. Falco rubbed Fox's back in soothing circles, and soon enough his hiccuping fit abated.

"Falco?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

Falco smiled, kissing the top of Fox's head affectionately. "I know, Fox. I know."

A moment of silence, and then: "I love you, too, Fox."

Falco dropped his wing around Fox's waist, struggling to keep the vulpine upright. Fox had one arm wrapped around Falco's neck as they started a shambling walk.

"I don't think I can make it all the way back to the barracks, Falco," Fox murmured, his head lolling off to one side for a second. Falco reaffirmed his grip on Fox's waist as they continued on.

"Don't worry, you're coming home with me. I don't think Katt will mind, she'll probably be out for a while cruising the guys, anyway."

Fox smiled, then frowned for a moment, trying in all his drunken wisdom to see what Falco was carrying in his left wing. He finally gave up and conceded to asking him. Falco blushed slightly, holding up a take-out box from the China Jade.

"I didn't eat any yet, Katt and I were taking it back to the trailer to try it out."

Fox smiled, hugging Falco closer, knowing that he wouldn't be letting go anytime soon.