Fan Fiction ❯ Teen Love: The Teen Titans' Story. ❯ Beastboy's Pain ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Teen Love: The Teen Titan’s Story (Chapter 3)

He knew what was going on between Robin and Starfire. He knew that they weren’t as happy as they looked outside. Beastboy knew a lot more than they thought that he did. He was the fly on the wall, the rat in the corner. He was the forgotten one, the left-behind love.
They treat me like an idiot, he thought. But they have no idea that I know both of their dirty little secrets. Titan’s Tower has changed. It’s full of lies, of deception, of changes. The innocence that we all once held is gone.
No one knows what I’m really like. They’re too busy treating me like a kid to know who I really am. Terra... I’m sorry. I’m sorry that this time has come that we all must live in secrecy. I love you so much. It wasn’t just some little school-boy crush...
He was laying in Terra’s room when he first heard the noises. She was gone. She had been frozen in her own power. Raven and Robin started their relationship a little after Starfire and Cyborg. He could follow them all without being seen. He could be a fly, a flea, even a mosquito. And they never suspected a thing. He hated them all for lying to each other.
Beastboy had mentally matured a lot since Slade had come into the picture. After he lost Terra, after Robin became the apprentice, and, of course, after all that had happened with Raven. He saw Robin as a fellow brother; all though they weren’t really close, they still respected each other. Cyborg was his best friend. Who else could play video games as well as he himself could? Starfire and Raven were his big sisters. Starfire was gentle and kind to him, and Raven respected his... differences and treated him like a younger, annoying brother. No matter what they were to him, they still all treated him like he was younger, more foolish, more childish than them.
It was night. Everyone had just went to sleep. The sneaking shouldn’t start for about two or three hours. Now was his turn to sneak, as he did every night. Cyborg’s security system wasn’t as perfect as he thought.
Beastboy transformed into a baby flea. Carefully, ever so carefully, he climbed through the crack in the door. Slowly, he crept by the traps that he had memorized, wondering how they had been so stupid not to believe that Slade and Terra had found a loophole in the system. And escaped into the sweet, fresh air of the night.
It was still summer, but the night air was cool as he shakily changed back. He knew that he wasn’t going to live for long. He had felt it deep down to his bones. He also knew that the antidote that Cyborg had given him hadn’t completely worked to stabilize his atoms. With the knowledge that he wasn’t going to live long, he became paranoid, afraid that death awaited around every corner. So every night, he went to visit Terra.
“Terra,” He whispered as he entered her cave. “I wish so much that you were here… so that I can make you laugh… so that your joy could lift my spirits. I know that I don’t have much longer. And I wish that I could see you smile one last time…” But he could never see her smile. Not until a counter spell could be found to fix her solid form. She would be stuck with tears running down her face until then.
“The Titans are falling apart,” he continued, a note of bitterness leaking from his voice as he stood in the entrance of the cave. “There are secrets that should never have been started, because now they’ll never end. They’re all liars. And with the world the way it is, it can’t be all their fault. The poor fools.” He stopped then as realization shuddered in his eyes. He had never noticed how bitter he had gotten. “I’m sorry…” he whispered in a shaky voice.
He could almost hear her laugh, her talking and joking as they hung out at the park, her anguished cry when he came to her after the betrayal… he could still hear her. He wanted to hold her hand like they did on their first date… and last night together.
His hearing was changing too. He could hear his own stomach acids sloshing around inside of him, could smell the beads of sweat under his arms. It scared the living daylights out of him. Whatever was going on inside of him… it was really messing with his head… literally.
It was dark in the cave. The damp odor of rusty water always made Beastboy’s nose itch when he came for his visits. He groped around in the dark, searching for Terra’s motionless figure. And felt something hard crunch under his feet.
“No…” he thought as he knelt to grasp the shards of cement in his hand. “n-no…” his voice began to tremble. He held the broken rocks close to his face, only to confirm the dread that was rising within him. In his hand were pieces of the statue that was once his Terra. He tilted his head back and wailed a mournful cry to an endless sky of stars.

Raven heard Beastboy from Robin’s room. So did Robin. And by the sound of the crashing noise from Cyborg’s room, so did he. Raven kissed Robin gently and sank through the floor. He wanted to hold on to her, but Beastboy’s haunted cry filled him with a mournful and fearful feeling. He ran to the living room just in time to see Starfire and Cyborg enter, and seconds later, Raven.
“He’s not in his room,” Raven stated shakily.
“Where could he be?” Starfire said, her eyes big with worry.
“How did he get out without the alarm sounding?” Cyborg said.
“Look for his signal.” But Beastboy had thought ahead of them. His belt lay on the counter in the kitchen. “Okay then, we’ll have to spread out and look around outside the tower for him,” Robin said, taking order.
Cyborg was the one to find him. Beastboy’s body shuddered with sobs as he lay in a heap over a pile of broken, crumbled rock. Among the rubble was the small plaque that they had created for Terra--- “Terra, A Teen Titan, A True Friend.”
He knew then what was wrong.