Fan Fiction ❯ Thank You ❯ Between Friends ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I decided to walk to the top of Titan Tower that night.
 
No particular reason, really. I was bored, and thought some fresh air would do me good.
 
I made my way up the stairs and onto the roof. Glancing around, I realized I wasn't the only titan up there.
 
Raven was sitting on the edge, her back to me, apparently looking out over the water or meditating.
 
I tried to leave quietly, but she must have sensed my arrival.
 
“You don't have to go, Robin.”
 
I paused, then turned and went back towards her.
I gave her a small grin. “This seat taken?”
 
“Just by you, if you want it.”
 
I sat down next to her, my legs hanging over the edge. I started to swing them out of habit.
 
We just sat there together for a while, enjoying the silence and each other's company. A silence only good friends could really understand and enjoy.
 
“So, why did you really come up here for, Boy Wonder?” Raven said, breaking the silence.
 
I just shrugged my shoulders. “Fresh air, some quiet.”
 
I looked directly at her. Raven's face, as usual, was composed and blank. The trick I had learned with her and how she's was feeling is by looking at her eyes.
 
Windows to the soul, some call them. Emotions maybe, I thought, but never into a soul.
 
One look into her amethyst eyes, however, and I knew that she had been thinking about something. . . .and that she was afraid.
 
“Rae, what's wrong?” I asked gently. I decided I wasn't going to push her. She had been through enough lately. Issues with both her father and Slade being foremost.
 
Slade. Just the mention of his name angers me. If it was even possible, I hated him even more after he came back and went after Raven.
 
He had always gone for me, never my team mates.
 
I am the leader of the Teen Titans. I'm not the oldest, but I am in command, and my first duty and oath as leader is to protect my team.
 
With Raven's last birthday, however, I had not only failed my oath miserably, but her as well.
 
Slade not only captured Raven, but invaded her mind to deliver a message. I could only watch helplessly as I rushed to save her.
 
“Raven?” I asked again, not receiving an answer from my last query.
 
“I've just been doing some thinking,” she replied, still gazing out over the water.
 
I guessed from her continued silence that that was my silent cue to take my leave.
As I climbed to my feet and turned to go, Raven spoke again.
 
“Robin. . .” she hesitated, unsure.
I did an about-face and sat down next to her again. “Yeah Rae?”
 
“Do you think. . . that I'm damned to hell?” she asked quietly.
 
To say that I was a little shocked would have been an understatement. Baffled or dumbstruck would have fit perfectly.
 
“Damned to hell?” I asked stupidly, trying to buy myself time. Raven gave me a silent nod and then waited.
 
“What brought up that question?”
 
Raven gave me a grimace. “Like I said before, I've been doing some thinking. I have a demon for a father, a mother who tried to bring Satan into the world, oh yeah, and my destiny is to bring complete destruction to this planet by bringing my father back into it.”
 
I bet even Batman would have been stumped for a quick answer on this one.
 
I thought for a second, then gave her my answer.
“No, I don't think you are.”
 
Raven looked directly at me, face blank as ever, but eyes a little wider.
“Really? Why?”
 
“Let's see,” I started playfully but then grew serious. “You're a Titan who helps keep this city safe.” I held up a hand and began to tick off the reasons.
 
“You fight against your father nearly every day by keeping your anger in check, you've saved lives instead of taking them.”
 
I stopped and gave her a smile. “Want me to go on?”
 
Raven shook her head and turned back to look over the water. I couldn't be too sure because of her hood, but I thought that maybe, just maybe, she had smiled.
 
“Did that help you any?” I asked, getting up to leave again.
 
“Yes it did. More than you realize,” Raven whispered.
 
As I went back into the Tower, I heard Raven's whisper, carried to me on a soft breeze.
“Thank you, Robin.”
 
Anytime, Raven.