Fan Fiction ❯ The End of Earth ❯ Beginning ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

End of earth

The tale of a warrior

Ever get the feeling life was handed to you and you couldn't have something else? Or maybe more? Well maybe not more. But a lot less? Just take it or leave it. It was yours and you would give anything to trade? I get that feeling every waking moment of my pitiful life. Pessimistic you might say? Let me explain why I think so. Right now in the year 3576, earth has become the embodiment of paradise. To everyone but the poor. Who saw that coming? Earth is completely equal in nature and human interaction. But how did we do that? Simple. We colonized the moon and built several moon-sized satellites to orbit the solar systems planets. With me so far? Good. Now what's so bad about it? Well not much really and for the first ten years of my life it wasn't bad. All I had to worry about was to get good grades. Deal with my parents who worked for the IA, or interstellar army, as Technologists. Then our long ranged scanners picked up something new. I remember that day like it was only three seconds ago. Two seconds after we found them we were under attack. So here I was a ten and a half year old walking home from school looking at birds fly on a tree before they stopped and took off. I looked after them when a large explosion shot me off my feet into the sand box in the park. I rolled forward and grabbed the edge of it. Hanging around the army base got me to pick up a few moves. I was pulled up as the pressure was lost but then restored as the back up systems blocked the hole with four feet of pure titanium. I hit the ground running. I stopped for one second to look at the spot that was hit. A park had been fried and a large rock lay in the center. If I had been anyone else I might have gone to look at it and wonder why we didn't shoot the meteor out of the way. But with the constant lectures and updates at what had been going on from my parents I didn't bother. I knew that this was wrong and ran to the nearest express elevator down. As I ran though I spotted two of my friends and grabbed them.

"Stop gawking and run! Another might come," I yelled pulling them along. They two guys woke up and ran after me. We grabbed the door and slid into the elevator and looked around. A few more people ran in and I hit the button. I wouldn't wait. I knew this was wrong and sent us down quickly. The door opened as a large explosion sent me flying forward. I hit my back and slid to the edge of the catwalk before I grabbed the railing as I slid off the side. My friends grabbed my hand and hauled me up with the help of the three other adults with us. I got up and thanked them. This is where everything went wrong. Alarms went off and red lights covered the area. I grabbed my friends and ran with them to the nearest escape pod. I shoved them in and typed our codes in the computer so anyone looking for us would know that we were already launching. I buckled my belt as the door closed and we launched out. The only window was pointed at earth and Jim was crying and sobbing deeply. I heard a large explosion and the pod spun around to face the colony. It was exploding. Other pods had launched but a few didn't get away as the explosion ripped through them. The atmosphere's heat blocked anymore from my sight but I didn't need or want to see anymore. Jim cried harder as Paul stared at the ground. I had saved us but…at the time and now I feel as if it didn't matter. We hit the earth near a city and I shoved the door open. I crawled out and fell before crying. I fainted after a while. I don't know what happened after that but I woke up in a small base under ground with my friends grinning at me. I sat up and looked around. Wounded were resting wherever they could and I gave up my bed immediately so one could rest there. The three of us huddled together in the hallway outside the room. Jim had stopped crying and Paul was more alive but only because we were too shocked to do anything but stay together. To this day those two thank me every once in a while for saving them but…it gets old. Back on track we didn't find out till three days later that my dad and mom had survived the explosion but my mom had died from and internal injury. My dad was in a coma at the time or so I had heard. I found out recently that he had been to busy working to get me and he didn't send anyone to tell me he was all right. I don't like my dad now. Just to set the record straight. But back on track. We were transported to some barracks where other people, no survivors rested. The beds were stacked three straight up. It was high up too so I got the top. Being the only one of my friends not scared of heights at the time. We became a working team that rivaled most adults. None of us knew weather our parents were fine. Other than my mom dead and my dad in a "coma". Jim's dad had past on when he was five so all he had was his mom and sis but they had gone to the moon and no one had news from the moon. Paul had six sisters, four brothers, eight cousins and four grandparents taking care of him and he hadn't heard anything of them. But he had the best chance of having family alive. We helped fix and rebuild things that had been broken in the first attack. Oh the rocks were the only things that had been on scanner and they hit six of the ten satellites and four hit the moon. The moon now is cracked and the earth now has a small ring around it. But back to my story. I get off track a lot as I'm told and now I see that I do. The three of us were known around the base as the three musketeers. If we couldn't do it not many could. A year past and we looked really good for eleven year olds. But the base found an orphanage for us to go to. They took us out and set us in the place. Till this day they never figured out how we did all the things we needed to do there and still get back into the base to work. We learned all the way up to ninth grade in two years making us thirteen, skilled workers, smart and great at teamwork. Four weeks after we had been there and our reported activities on the base the head nun gave us the entire attic to clean just to make sure we didn't go back to the base. She checked in every hour to make sure we were still cleaning. We finished the attic and fixed eighteen machines back at the base before she suspected anything. When she came back to check on us she wanted to see our progress when we were putting away the gear. She looked around the attic and it shined it was so clean.

"Is this good?" Paul had asked her look was priceless. She was speechless and told the army men herself that we hadn't left. Then she was told of the security cameras catching us. Well we mowed the lawn and trimmed the hedges under her watchful eye. We finished in three hours and went to the attic. We sent up our home base there. We fixed things for neighbors and kids in the building for anything they could pay us. If they had nothing it was a favor. Like helping us clean the kitchen floor when it was our night. Or helping us cook. We never made them do it. We got plenty of business and sometimes helped out the other kids. We got the attention of all the kids and they followed us when we gave out specific orders. Then when we turned fourteen the army took us in again. Since we turned down every adoption chance we got. We had other kids go in our places. We never separated. We were our own family. Paul, Jim and I. This is where my adventure started and basically now when in all started. Well actually it was a week ago but I'll explain in. We walked back into the base checking up on the machines that we fixed to see if they were still working and made our ware around. The general called us up and we walked in. There I found my dad talking with the general. I froze. I really froze. My father turned and looked at me. He nodded and walked out a side door. It was like someone had thrown me at a brick wall. All I got was a nod after four years thinking he was dead I got a nod. No "Son you're okay. I'm so glad!" Or "I can't believe it. My little boy is all grown up to a nice young man." Nope I got a nod. Praise the lord he has spoken! A nod. I can't believe the idiocy! I-. (Big breath) sorry about that. It's a very touchy subject. Well I stared after him stupefied beyond belief and Paul shook me out of it as the general started talking.

"It's nice to have you here back. From what I hear you three did better than anyone else at the orphanage," he said. We nodded. What else were we going to do?

"Okay we know what we're fighting but we don't know how to combat it. That is until Mr. Hireg brought his plans for the ORM," the general said.

"Organic reaction machine," I mumbled disbelieving.

"Yes that's it. It combines organic cells of certain animals with machine components to make a super soldier. It is approximately fifty feet tall. Some taller or shorter then others. You three will be piloting one ORM each. But we will put you under intense training to figure out which one each of you will pilot then you will under go training to pilot your ORM," the general said. I shook my head and stared at him.

"I'll take the silver one," I stated seriously. The general looked up at me with a frown.

"First of all you don't pick and second of all how did you know there was a silver one?" he asked me.

"My parents designed those machines together. But I would always be near them when we did it so they helped me design one for myself. Knowing my father he put all of them up with out realizing that the silver one was made directly for me. It even has my cells in it," I replied staring at the general.

"Well when you train you will see if you get it," the general said turning back to his papers.

"Dismissed," he said as we got up and left. We went to our new bunks and found them the same once that we had when we stayed here earlier. Jim on the bottom and Paul in the middle with me at the top.

"So about the ORM?" Paul asked directing the question at me.

"When we were back at the colony my parents were part of the attack/defense technologies for the IA. They would normally bring work home and I always watched them work. They didn't worry. What was a ten-year-old kid going to remember? Well I remember a lot. Mainly because of the attack. One of their future machines was the ORM. Well I watched my mom think up things for it when I asked why a machine and human couldn't be one. Dumb question at the time but my mom thought about it and started working on it. Within three weeks she had developed a system that would let biological cells work in harmony with the mechanical parts. My dad did the weaponry but my mom helped me design one for myself. That is the silver one," I explained. Paul sighed as Jim snored softly. Though at the time I doubt he was really asleep.

"So who do you think the other pilots are?" Paul asked rolling over towards the door to the barracks. There were only three other people in and they were far off so I thought for a second before answering. I had hopes but at the time I didn't know what I could get my self into.

"Well I guess a girl or two would be nice. We don't have much contact with them. Every time one was put at the orphanage they got adopted a day later, so I guess three girls would be nice but an older soldier would be better," I replied sitting up. My head barely scraped the ceiling so I could sit comfortably.

"Well I think we're good together. So a few good soldiers would be nice but who's leading?" Paul asked looking up at me. I glanced down at him.

"Not me," Jim and Paul both said. I groaned and shoved off hitting the ground.

"Give me a break guys. I'm no leader," I said leaning against the beds next to ours. Paul rolled over and sat up Indian style. Jim rolled his eyes at me before coughing slightly.

"…What ever. But the other three have to agree on it," I replied closing my eyes and leaning back.

"Hey three musketeers! Glad to see you're back!" an engineer called out from the doorway. We waved back at him as he left.

"Well guys I'm going for a walk. You guys do what you want," I told them walking off. I started down the hallway remembering the map in my head as I walked to the underground park. It was like a park with a ceiling made of sunlight. Clouds also had been produced to make it lifelike. Because most people down here don't see the light of day that often. I walked to a tree and vaulted up it. I sat on a branch and looked around. I rested a while before jumping down and walking around the park itself. I was looking at the ground and didn't notice till too late. I slammed into someone hard. I fell back landing on my butt looking up. A girl in a short dress looked up at me startled. Before she slammed her hands down on her dress.

"Pervert," she muttered.

"What'd I do?" I asked her mad.

"You purposely ran into me to see up my dress," she replied growling at me.

"Oh sure. I was walking along minding my own business when you pop up and give me a headache. What the hell did I do?" I asked her bring my knees to my nose then flipping myself up. She glared at me before turning and walking away. I heard her mumbling after me. I rolled my eyes and glanced at my watch. I turned around and took off running the opposite way she went. I ran over three hills to another door and opened it before rushing to the left then right to slid into the hangar. I looked up to see six of the ORMs all being worked on.

"Cool. But food first," I muttered running out of the hangar on the other side sliding to a stop at a four way. I looked around before running to the right. I slid to a stop and walked through swinging doors to find Paul eating a sandwich. I waved to him and sat down. Jim came back with two sodas and two peanut butter and jam sandwiches for us.

"So had a run I see," Paul said looking at me.

"Only because I ran into some brat girl," I replied opening my soda.

"Yeah sure. While I saw seven girls in bikinis," Jim replied shoving his elbow into my side. I growled at him and took a bite of my sandwich. Paul looked past me and I waited. I knew him enough for him to be watching someone coming closer.

"A girl is walking this way," Paul said raising his sandwich to hide his mouth movement. I gulped my soda and turned around to face the woman as she walked up.

"May I help you?" I asked once she stopped. She peered at me with a cold hard stare. I didn't flinch but I knew Jim was ready for anything and Paul could get over the table in two seconds to counter anything.

"The general wants you to come to the training room. But you need to suit up at the gym area," she said before walking away. I watched after her before turning and finishing my food. Paul threw the trash away and followed us out. We walked calmly talking about general stuff before Jim asked a question I wanted to strangle him for.

"So what do you know about the ORMs?" he asked. I glared at him.

"About everything," I replied turning into the changing room.

"What should we aim for?" Paul asked looking at the suit in front of him.

"Paul you would be good for the blue. Jim, aim for the white. Blue stands for water and white for air. Red for animals, green for the forest, black for the rocks and silver for humans," I told them zipping up the suit. It was a gray colored suit that was slightly armored with padding at certain areas to keep the blood flowing normally even under great stress. I set the helmet on and turned to my pals. They gave me thumbs up and I stuck my hand out. They put theirs on top of mine and we pushed down. We walked out of the room together and walked into hell. Or almost like it. If you walked into this place you would say it was hell on earth. I heard Jim gasp in surprise. Paul groaned and I shifted uncomfortably. When the chief said intense training he meant intense. The entire room was one big treacherous obstacle course. Roving lasers were at one area and a large climbing wall with poles moving in and out for us to climb with.

"Would it be alright if I back out now?" Paul asked looking around.

"Ditto," Jim said.

"No way you two. We're doing this," I said turning to them. They both looked at me.

"You are nuts," Jim said.

"Don't forget absolutely in need of a straight jacket," Paul said pointing at me.

"Gentlemen and ladies," the general said walking out behind us. We turned to see the girl that had told us to come here standing next to the general and a lady at the board with all the sensors on them. I looked to see the other pilots walking out of a separate door across from the one we came out of. We turned to them and waved. Two didn't respond but one ran up to us looked us up and down before grasping a hand and shaking mine.

"Nice to meet you. My name's Angelina Genkie Esmerelda. Just call me Age," She said bouncing around. She then turned around and ran back to the other two giggling.

"Was that odd or was that just me?" Jim asked putting g a hand behind his head.

"Well…we should get moving," I said whacking him over the head. Paul was watching her walk away before shaking his head.

"Aw does someone have a crush?" Jim asked walking up to Paul.

"She just strikes me as an…energetic person," Paul said waving Jim off. Jim stood there looking at Age.

"You got that right," he agreed following Paul as we walked over to the general.

"Pilots I welcome you to the first day of your training. All of you have had previous training but now we take it up a notch. Yes Jim?" the general asked to Jim's raised hand.

"What happens if one of us doesn't make the obstacle course?" he asked looking up at the general.

"Then you will all start again. But the one to finish will not have to repeat it. The first one across gets the rest of the day off," the general said before sitting down. The girl at the sensor board stood up.

"In your training suits there are electrodes measuring your vitals and brain wave activity. It will see how you do and add up your time in the course. Every time one of you falls the ones that haven't finished will repeat the course. Once all of you have finished the one done first will go back to his or her barracks and rest while the rest of you go through more training. Now go to the green line and then start once all of you have gotten there," she said before sitting down again. I grabbed my friends and hauled them to the starting line. Jim looked at the course and whimpered while Paul gulped loudly.

"Wimps," I heard over the line.

"Well sorry lady but these wimps are your teammates," I replied to her coldly.

"GO!" the general shouted. We took off running to the first obstacle. I grabbed Jim and pulled him to the side as a beam shot up where he had been standing. I then slowly made my way with Paul in front as he scanned the ground with his sharp eyes. He stopped us and had us move to the side where one of them was stuck between two moving beams. I reached out my hand and grabbed her puling her back with us.

"Age walk slow. These things have a pattern," I told her as we walked. The other two hands cleared this area and were moving to the wall. Paul rolled forward as a beam shot up and I shot my hands out to block Age. I stepped forward still holding my hand back. I looked around as Jim shoved Age forward and she made it to the next spot. Paul now stood at the base of the wall looking it over. I helped Age to the area.

"Rick. If you climb up real fast you may catch up to them. Take the right and speed past them. Go up six before holding then going up as the rest of them stick out again," Paul told me.

"Nothing doing. We're getting up there together. No start climbing," I replied as Jim came up behind me. We started moving up with Paul guiding us along. Then one of the poles pulled out and Jim started to lose his balance. I grabbed his left arm as the two poles he was standing on pulled back. Age grabbed Jim's right hand and pulled him up to the next pole.

"Thanks," Jim said to us.

"No problem," I replied pulling myself up. I looked up to see one of the two holding on to one pole and the other kept on climbing past her. Then the pole fell out.

"Paul right hand out catch! Jim on your left!" I shouted bracing myself. We caught her and gripped her till she grabbed the wall. She scurried up and we followed. We reached the top of the wall and there sat four slides.

"Paul left and Jim far right. Age take the middle or mid right," I said as the other girl slid down one. Age nodded and went into the middle. I went mid right and went straight down. I shot out of the slide and stopped ducking as a laser shot past me head. I back flipped and looked at the lasers. The other girl was running through dodging left and right.

"Stupid girl," I muttered watching her. Paul came up next to me where that other girl was about to rush in and grabbed her.

"Hold it!" he shouted as a laser shot past her head. Jim walked up holding his head.

"That last step is a dusie," he commented laughing a little. Then he looked at the lasers.

"What ever we're getting paid. It ain't enough," Jim commented looking at the lasers flying around.

"We're getting paid?" Paul and I asked looking at him. Jim looked at us and sighed sinking to the ground.

"Life is so unfair," he complained.

"Weakling," the second girl commented.

"Rose!" Age cried out. Rose glared at us and was about to take off again as Paul yanked her back as a laser shot out.

"Hold on. I'm almost done calculating it," Paul said restraining her. Rose growled looking at the lasers.

"Cool. Okay everyone walk this way. Just three steps forward two left then one forward, before one right then, six forward, then eight right, before a mad dash to the end," Paul said shoving Rose forward with him. I grabbed Age and Jim and shoved them forward as they walked it through. I waited till the laser shot past then followed the path he set. I got to the mad dash part and waited then pour on the speed. I slid to a stop looking at the lasers shooting around.

"Well that was interesting," Paul said walking to the next area. In front of us stood a bunch of swinging ropes logs in between them. A large lever rested at the other wall.

"That lever shout make a bridge," Paul said looking at the lever at the other end

"I'll go first," Jim said grabbing a rope and swing on to a log. It started to spin around as he walked along in easily.

"So far it was brains then muscle. Next should be heart," Paul said watching Jim move along. I calmly watched him go before grabbing Rose and holding her back.

"Jim can handle it," I told her.

"I don't need your help," she growled at me.

"Well too bad," I replied shoving her back behind me. I saw Jim grab the last rope and doing a Tarzan call as he swung to the end. He pulled the lever and a bridge pushed out to connect.

"Run!" I shouted bolting across. Age and Rose dashed behind me with Paul bringing up the rear. We slid to a stop at the other end. Jim was leaning against the wall whistling.

"What took you?" he asked.

"Shut up," we all told him. He grinned under his helmet as I led them to the next area. There stood the last girl sitting at the edge looking over the next area.

"Thanks for waiting," I told her. She turned and looked at us.

"About time," she said. Paul smacked his forehead while Jim just groaned. I shook my head and looked at the two girls who nodded and looked around.

"So miss high and mighty any idea how we get across?" I asked making a special emphasis on we.

"My plan was that I would run ahead testing everything and if someone fell I would show everyone the way," she replied watching the maze in front of us with the walls changing up and down over and over. Paul sighed and started walking forward not getting hit.

"There're many ways. Just pick one and hope for the best," he shouted back looking over the area. I looked over the field and took the far right away from the exit. I started walking and turned at a wall. Two walls shot up blocking my side but one was moving in front of me. I jumped over it as it went down and kept walking. I glanced around to see everyone else behind me. I got to the end and it was a simple run to the exit. I turned to wait and looked at the ground. Rose ran out and started running forward. I dived to tackle her down.

"What is wrong with you!" she shouted out.

"That is a fall away floor!" I shouted back touching the area she was about to walk on and it fell away to a net below. She looked at the ground nodding.

"Paul tell me what you got," I asked him standing.

"Well it's random. Nothing suggests it," he told me. I sighed looking around.

"So who will be first?" the final girl asked.

"I'll do it," I told her standing ready.

"No we both will. A leader takes risks," she replied.

"Well your loss," I replied dashing on to the floor. It started to fall away immediately but I kept running hoping that I would get to the other side before I lost my footing. The other girl was right next to me making the same moves. We slid to a stop at the other end looking at the other side. Paul was looking under the floor with the help of Jim. He nodded and Jim hauled him up. Jim pointed out the way to go leading. I turned to see the girl making a dash for the finish line. I saw the ax going before I could yell. It hit her and she stopped. Jim and the rest of them looked at her to see a plastic ax touching her suit.

"June you are dead. All of you now need to start again," the general said from a mike. June turned around and stiffly walked to the beginning again. We finished it on the second run with the girl leading us. She finished first and went back to the barracks. We were tired. It was tuff doing it once but murder doing it twice. The next was speed testing. We all had to get under ten seconds running back and forth from wall to wall. We finally finished in time for supper. We dragged ourselves back to the locker rooms to change. I showered and changed my clothes before waiting for Jim and Paul. We stepped out and walked to the café.

"Oh my stomach," Jim whined holding it.

"You hurt yourself?" I asked looking at him.

"So empty," he replied as he stomach growled loudly.

"Well Rick what do you think of our leader?" Paul asked me as we walked into the café.

"She could use an update on how to treat your team," I replied grabbing my food and sitting down. Age and Rose walked over and sat down. Age was the bubbly person and we instantly knew who it was and the fact that Rose was being dragged along and called us weaklings when she sat down clued us in.

"Listen lady. I don't mind being called stupid and ignorant but weak isn't on that list," Jim replied pointing his fork at her.

"What are you going to do about it?" Rose snarled in reply.

"Roser!" Age cried out looking at her. Rose glared at Age. The three of us exchanged looks.

"Roser?" we asked at once. Jim laughed a little before repeating the word. I saw a blur before I knew what happened. Jim was sitting on the ground with a large red mark just on the tip of his forehead.

"Well she almost missed me," Jim said getting back up. Rose glared at us in turn before grumbling.

"At the speed she threw that punch, be glad she didn't hit you dead on. That would have left an egg the size of your big toe," Paul said looking at the bruise on Jim's forehead.

"Aw that was a love tap compared to what she can do," Jim replied shaking it off. Rose looked at him with her dark eyes. I swear an icy wind went up my spine and she wasn't even looking at me. Jim didn't flinch but Paul and I backed off a hair. The door blew open and walked in the girl I ran into before.

"Well looky who showed up," Rose said looking at the girl.

"Well sorry Rose but I had work to do. Now if you two don't mind but tell me whom are you sitting with?" she asked sitting down next to them. She looked at me and gritted her teeth.

"That's Jim then Paul and Rick. They're the other pilots," Age giggled. Her surprise was immediate.

"Hi," Jim, Paul and I said waving at her.

"Wow June you seem to be surprised. I thought you would have looked them up and done your homework on them. So if you became leader you would know their strengths," Rose said smirking. June glared at Rose before glaring at me.

"Hey I'm sorry for running into you but life has a way of screwing me over," I said to her holding out my hand.

"So did run into a girl," Jim said throwing an arm over my shoulder.

"And I'll run you through the table if you don't let go," I replied smirking at Jim.

"I'd…no never mind. Last time I said that I got a broken arm," Jim said taking his hand away.

Whiiir! Whiiiir!

"Huh? Oh sorry I'll finish my story later. If you want to watch me take care of the enemy, just go watch the console." Rick walks out of the barrack door running to the left. The screen switches to a screen showing the hangar. Rick is riding a cord to the cockpit in the chest of the ORM. He closes the cockpit.

"Cap what do we got?" Rick asked starting the machine up.

"Six of the enemy's enforcers have come to do a scouting mission. We're to make them feel wanted. Got that everyone?" June asked walking out of the holding area. An elevator lit up on the far side of the hangar and all the ORMs ran to it.

"Let's kick some alien butt," Jim said punching the air in front of him.

"Keep it cool guys. Think before you act," Paul warns pulling out a long ranged rifle.

"One on one," Rose said pulling out a sword.

"Just watch each other's backs," June said pulling out a dagger and pistol.

"Age once we get up there try and find a spot where the enemy won't see us," Rick said pulling out two pistols.

"Can do!" Age replied pulling out a staff the size of her ORM.

"Right lets show them an earth welcome," Jim said as the elevator went up. The elevator opened up to reveal a destroyed city with skeletons of the former buildings and destroyed streets.

"Jim, Paul and Rick go get them. Rose, Age go snipe I'll take on the leader," June said walking forward.

"Watch out for yourself," Rick said running down a side road as six explosions can be heard at the far end of the city. Jim, Paul and Rick run to the first of the six enforcers.

Battle start.

"Man these things are huge!" Jim cried out getting into a fighting stance.

"Keep your cool and remember training," Paul said aiming his gun.

Movement.

"Remember to use the environment to fight with as well," Rick said running around the enforcer.

Jim Attack Enforcer.

"Like this?" Jim asked jumping off a building and kicking the enforcer down to the ground and stomping on him.

Counter Attack.

"Just watch out for counter attacks!" Paul shouted as the enforcer took a swing at Jim. Jim back flipped landing in the middle of the street.

End Jim attack.

"Geeze a little warning!" Jim cried out.

Rick Attack Enforcer.

Rick opens fire as the enforcer starts to get up.

"Keep your eyes on the target and remember. These things regenerate so we have to hit them hard and fast," Rick said shooting it down again.

End Rick Attack.

Jim Attack Enforcer.

"Yeah I know. We also got to watch our energy. We use too much and we over heat but too little…and what happens?" Jim asked running past the enforcer and checking it into an adjacent building.

End Jim Attack.

Paul Attack Enforcer.

"Use too little and the electrical charge can screw up your systems," Paul answered shooting the rifle a few times into the enforcer's back.

End Paul Attack.

Movement.

It got up and turned to the three.

Movement.

"Try to get cover as well," Rick, said moving behind a building.

"Well I'm in the middle here!" Jim cried out looking for cover.

Movement.

"Then try to dodge the attack. The one shots are deadly but a lot easier to dodge. The multi-fire is harder to dodge but you take less damage with each hit. Just feel lucky Jim that your ORM is faster then ours," Paul told him getting behind a fallen building.

Enforcer Attack Jim.

The enforcer lines up Jim in its sights and fires one large beam.

Dodge to Counter.

Jim jumps to the side and rolls along the ground coming up and shooting several spikes into the enforcer.

End Enforcer Attack.

"What was that?" Jim asked looking at the sparks fly out of the holes.

Movement- Rick Attack Enforcer- Movement.

"Those are electric spikes. They're the automatic counter system the ORMs have," Rick replied stepping out and shooting again before stepping back.

End Attack.

Movement- Jim Paul Combo Attack Enforcer- Movement.

"Well how many do I have?" Jim asked running forward to do a severe combo against the enforcer.

"You have ten. I have seven and Rick has nine," Paul replied shooting at the enforcer. Jim steps back and flip kicks the enforcer as the bullets hit the exposed underbelly to do greater damage.

End Combo Attack.

"Is it dead yet?" Rick called out looking at the fallen body.

Enforcer Attack all.

"No not yet," Paul answered as it pulled itself up and three cannons locked on.

Dodge.

Dodge-Counter.

Dodge failed.

"Hit the deck!" Jim cried out rolling away. Rick jumped up and grabbed the building shooting spikes at the Enforcer. Paul stepped back as the blast clipped his right left leg.

End Enforcer Attack

Movement.

The Enforcer fell down before getting up again.

Movement- Combo All Attack Enforcer- Movement.

"If we attack together we can kill it now but it will take all the current energy," Rick said stepping out and running forward. He jumped up and kicked it down but jumped up at the last moment to fire straight down. Paul stepped out started to pump the enforcer full of lead. Jim popped open small Vulcan bays on the sides of his arms and aimed at the enforcer shooting the machine guns continuously. The resulting explosion finished it off.

End Combo Attack. Destruction.

Movement.

Join Battle.

Attack Rick.

Power Shield Activate.

Rick landed as a large barrage of bullets flew at him. The bullets bounced off around him as a red glow surrounded the silver ORM.

End Attack.

"I can't leave you guys alone can I?" Rose asked landing behind Paul.

"What did you do?" Paul asked looking at the red shield in front of Rick.

"If a certain amount of energy is added to a ORM it activates a shield and I just sent the energy over to him," Rose replied moving her sword in front of her.

"Okay so let me get this straight. If I focused hard enough I can boost my power?" Jim asked looking for the enforcers that fired.

Movement.

"No. Someone has to loan you the power. It gives up their fighting window but gives a stronger attack or the shield for one person," Rick replied looking around but finding a place to stand guarded.

Scan.

"Well then how about we look for the enforcers?" Rose asked scanning the field. Info showed up on all of the ORM's consoles.

"Where area they?" Paul asked aiming his rifle around.

Movement- Surprise Attack Enforcer (2) Failed- Rick, Paul, Rose, Jim Attack Enforcer (2)- Movement.

"One above and one below!" Rose shouted blocking one that jumped from above. Rick and Jim turned and fired at the one that burst up from the ground as Paul shot the one trading blows with Rose. Both were shoved to the center of the circle the four had formed.

End Combo Attack.

Activation of Weapons.

"Now we can do a combined attack. Everyone get a long ranged weapon ready. Jim you have a shoulder cannon use it," Rick said putting his pistols away and the outsides of his arms swiveled out and to cannons took aim at the center. Rose aimed with her twin auto cannons on her shoulders and waited. Paul aimed with his rifle and the targeting screen came up with all five aiming right at the center.

All Attack Enforcer (2).

Bullets flew at the enforcers ripping through them and killing them in once big attack.

End Attack. Destruction.

Join Battle.

"Guys! We got a problem! A ship is coming. It has an estimated four enforcers and two Liberators!" Age cried out from the top of a building.

"Oh no not Liberators! Not liberators! Hey…what's a liberator?" Jim asked looking at us. We all stared at him.

"Hey good question," Paul said looking around.

"Age what's a Liberator?" Rose asked looking up.

"Um…I don't know. That all I got for info. Not much is know about considering that no one survived against them long enough to report on them," Age replied sounding nervous.

Join Battle.

Enforcer (2) Capt. Enforcer Attack June.

"Greeeaaaat. We got still two enforcers with a captain running around and now we got four more with two unbeatable liberators," Jim said as the building to his right blew up. Out fell June rolling across the ground.

"I found the other three," she muttered getting up and glaring back at the building. Three red eyes looked back out and three machines stepped out.

Movement

Jim, Paul, Rick Attack Combo All.

"Jim, Paul, fallow my lead!" Rick shouted jumping up and rebounding off a building to fire down at them with his arm cannons. Paul jumped up to the top of a building and fired down at them.

Movement. Rose Attack Enforcer 1.

Rose ran forward and sliced one up the center before running behind the building near it.

End Rose Attack.

Age Combo Attack All.

Two large explosions blasted the tar around the robots. Age's twin hyper shoulder cannons smoked as she opened fired with her rapid-fire machine guns in her chest.

End Age Combo. Jim launched himself at the second smaller enforcer kicking fiercely over and over. He then back flipped kicking it up as it fired to deflect the counter blast away.

End Jim, Paul, Rick Combo.

Movement Failed Overheat.

Jim backed off before his ORM over heated.

"Damn too much," Jim cried out as his machine sunk to the ground.

Movement Defense.

Enforcer 1 Repair.

Capt. Enforcer Attack Jim. June Defense Catch.

"Don't worry I got you covered," June said walking in front and guarding her arms across her chest to block the attack that the captain enforcer fired at Jim.

End Enforcer attack.

Paul Attack Enforcer 1. Splash Damage Enforcer 2, Capt. Enforcer.

Paul up at the roof aimed down at the sliced machine before firing a full clip at it. The sliced machine that was trying to repair itself shuddered then exploded hitting the other two with shrapnel.

End Attack. Destruction.

"Wow we got ourselves a weenie roast," Paul shouted grinning down at the mass.

Rick Attack All.

"Don't celebrate just yet," Rick said launching several missals at the troop.

End Attack.

Cooled. Movement- Defense.

"We still got the plane too," Jim supplied standing up and guarding himself so June could move in for an attack.

June Attack Enforcer 2. Destruction.

She fired missals as well blowing up the second little enforcer.

Age Attack Capt. Enforcer.

Age blasted her guns again adding to the maelstrom destroying the captain enforcer.

End Attack. Destruction.

Join Battle.

Rick turned to see a plane heading his way.

"June you got missals right?" Rick asked opening all of his missal pods.

Movement.

"Yeah. I'll give you a hand. Age give a nice gift for them," June said laughing evilly.

Armament Activate.

"One boom, boom coming up!" Age replied giggling as the arms sunk into the arms and energy crackled around the opening and the shoulder cannons powered up.

June, Rick Combo Attack Plane. Splash Damage Enforcer (3), Liberator (2)

"Ready!" she said. June and Rick fired a full barrage of missals slamming the airship blowing off the wings.

End Attack.

Escape.

Age Special Attack Plane. Destruction. Splash Damage Enforcer (3). Splash Damage Liberator 1.

It crashed into the building right in front of Age as she fired. Rick and June covered their eyes as the blinding light took up their vision. A thunderclap of explosions shuddered the area. Rick peaked out to see a burning wreckage fall to the street below.

End Attack. Enforcer Destruction.

"Every on be careful. The Liberators may still be working. Just keep your distance," June said looking down.

Armament Deactivate.

"That was way cool!" Jim cried out putting his cannons away to give him better maneuverability.

Movement.

Armament Deactivate.

"June is right guys. We got to watch it," Rick said landing on the ground in front of the wreckage. He stands up and puts away his weapons to have physical attacks.

Movement.

"Hey Rick why did you change weapons?" Paul asked landing next to him.

"Because at close range long ranged weapons aren't very useful. They don't have the reaction time physical attacks do and I want to switch just in case someone does. But since you are more long ranged, stick back. Jim and Rose up here," Rick said readying himself.

Movement.

Jim and Rose landed near Rick as Paul backed off to where Age stood. June landed between the two groups and readied herself. The metal groaned where the plane had landed and an arm shot out. Out pulled a large machine as it stood. The missal racks in its chest exposed and the left arm hanging by a thread.

Repair.

It was repairing itself but it was moving for an attack.

June Attack Liberator 1.

"Aim for the missal racks. But only with long ranged weapons," June said shooting at the rack. The Liberator deflected it.

End Attack. Deflected.

Rick Attack Liberator 1.

"These guys have shields. That's how they beat up the other squads," Rick said running forward and tackling the chest.

Rose, Jim Combo Attack Liberator 1.

"Jim follow me," Rose said dashing forward and cutting across the street. Jim followed by cutting across the street in the opposite direction. They jumped and both attack the Liberator at the same time knocking it back a hair.

End Combo Attack.

End Rick Attack.

Rick Item Placement. Movement.

Rick pulled back and jammed something on the Liberator. He back flipped away and ducked down.

Scan.

"Everyone fire at the shield. If it holds then the plan I got won't work. Captain try a scan for the rest of them," Rick said over to her.

"Already a head of ya," June replied scanning around.

Age, Paul Combo Attack Liberator 1.

Age and Paul fired their combined weapons at the shield frying its circuits and shutting the shield down.

End Combo Attack.

Rick Item Activate. Destruction.

"Great!" Rick said pushing a button. The chest exploded and the missals ignited to blow the Liberator sky high.

Movement. Liberator 2 Surprise Attack Successful.

"I found a whole Liberator! It's underneath you Rick!" June shouted to Rick as the ground blew up having Rick fall to a tunnel underground.

End Surprise Attack.

Rick Counter.

Liberator 2 Attack Rick Critical Damage.

Rick punched the Liberator over and over in the face. It groaned and slammed its claw right at the ORM's lower body.

End Liberator Attack.

Rick Attack Liberator 2.

"AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHH!" Rick roared out before firing his shoulder cannons at point blank to launch it out of the hole. It landed on the ground and stood up with barely a scratch on it.

End Attack.

Rick pulled himself up and looked out the hole.

Movement.

"Rick! Are you alright?" Jim called out over the COM.

"Just peachy. But the general isn't going to like how the ORM turned out," Rick replied holding himself up.

Liberator 2 Attack All.

Explosions overhead told the Liberator was moving.

Critical Damage Jim.

"Argh! It got me in the chest. My cockpit has been breached!" Jim called out slamming into a building.

End Attack.

Movement.

Rick grabbed the edge of the hole and pulled himself out of the hole.

"June any ideas?" Rick asked aiming the cannons at the back of the Liberator.

"No I…I don't know!" June cried out.

Movement.

"Then do this. Everyone give his or her attack power to Age. Age power up your Boom, boom attack to hit this guy. I'll make sure he stands still to take his medicine," Rick said hauling himself up.

"Rick your ORM can't take much more damage!" Paul yelled out.

"What you're going to do is suicide!" Rose added.

Rick Grab Liberator 2.

"War is life," Rick replied wrapping his arms around the middle of the Liberator to hold it still.

Liberator 2 Attack Rick.

Rick Counter.

Spikes in Rick's ORM shot out over and over as the Liberator tried to struggle away.

Age Special Attack Liberator. Destruction. Splash Damage Rick. Critical Damage.

Age powered up her attack and waited till she locked on.

"Incoming!" she shouted as she fired. A huge amount of energy shot out and slammed into the Liberator melting away its armor in seconds. It roared out as it melted away. The explosion died away and Rick's ORM fell to the ground missing both front arms replaced with bleeding stumps and the entire lower abdomen red from the ORM bleeding.

End Attack.

Battle End.

"Rick! Rick can you hear me?" Jim called out puling his ORM away from the building. He stumbled over to the fallen ORM and lifted it up.

"Ugh. Remind me never to do that again," Rick said putting the stub of an arm over Jim's ORM. The group got back to the base and took stock of the damages. Rose's ORM was the least damaged since it didn't take that much damage from any enemy. Jim's had to be repaired badly because of the breech. Paul's need some fine turning and lots of dents buffed out. June's need to have major repairs done to the joints and restocked on ammo. Age's had dangerously over heated in the last shot and needed new inside parts and Rick's needs a complete over haul. The group went to a meeting room where they could talk about the mission and review for better stuff. They had a half hour before the general would talk with them. Rick sat down with the help of Paul and Jim before June stood up again and scanned the room.

"Now we were lucky today. But first I want to talk to Rick about his stunt," June said glaring at Rick. He swallowed audiably.

"Cap?" he asked nervously. June walked over and stood in front of him.

"Now," she calmly started before grabbing Rick's shirt and started yelling at him while shaking him, "What were you thinking? You could have gotten killed and that would have made the team look bad for their first real mission. I amazed you survived the blast! Are you crazy?" June screamed out.

"Actually we have been working on the idea for about a year," Paul pointed out looking at her.

"That he's crazy and in need of a straight jacket," Jim said nodding. Rick just grinned looking up at her. June glared at him back and didn't say anything more. The two stayed like that for a while before Jim cleared his throat. Rick glanced over and winked at him before tapping June's forehead. She blinked and stared at Rick again.

"Bastard!!!" she cried out kicking his chair out from under him.

"Didn't know you cared," Rick replied from the ground.

"Well let's go over the battle," June said picking up a remote and clicking a button. The Screen on the back of the room lit up with a replay from the battle.

"Okay. Jim you need to find more cover and watch your energy gauge use more closely. Paul you stay too far back. You aim would be off if the opponent move too quickly. Rose you should use more long ranged attacks. Your ORM is fast but it won't stand up to too many devastating hits. Age you don't attack enough. You use your specials too much and don't attack. Rick. Watch yourself more and don't put yourself at the risk you do. You do too many risky moves," June said looking over at Rick who had placed his chair back up.

"Yeah everyone tells me that all the time," Rick said sitting back down.

"Well everyone what about me?" June asked watching the replay.

"You need to rely more on your teammates to back you up. Going alone won't save you when you get double teamed like you were. It was lucky you found us there," Rick said.

"You also need to use your environment more to help you fight," Age said.

"With the armor you ORM has you should stick in the middle instead of the close areas," Paul said. June sighed and looked at us.

"Looks like we need some improvement," She said sighing.

"But we lived through it," Jim said leaning back.

"But with costs. The system that combines the ORMs to the pilot's consciousness hasn't been activated. That system makes it so you feel exactly what your ORM feels. So damage hurts," Rick said looking at the ceiling.

"How do you know all this?" June asked sitting down.

"I helped design it. Well mine anyway but I understand and remember what the rest can do," Rick said looking at her.

"Well mister Tech man. What can you tell us?" Jim asked turning to Rick.

"Not much. I was ten at the time and all I know is the equipment and abilities. Not much else," Rick replied shrugging. June nodded and turned to look at the replay of the battle again.

"You know. All and all we did okay," Age said looking at it. Jim nodded in agreement. A knock came from the door before it was opened and in stepped the General with his secretary. Rick and the rest stood up as he came in. They saluted and waited.

"At ease," the general said walking to the front of the room.

"Sir!" they replied. The pilots sat down and looked at him expectantly.

"This battle was a risky one. You all had little time to practice and maneuver with the ORMs. Also the Conversion system is up and running yet so you also had that disadvantage. You all were lucky that more didn't come and that you were able to destroy those Liberators. But with that knowledge of how to kill them we have a better chance of fighting them. Now Rick the repairs on your ORM will take a while. That stunt you pulled was very dangerous and you are lucky you are alive. Go to the Infirmary after this meeting to get checked up," the general began staring directly at Rick.

"Sir," Rick replied nodding.

"Now we'll meet again for more training again tomorrow. But first my secretary will explain what is going to happen," the general said stepping aside. The secretary walked forward and cleared her throat.

"I have enrolled the three new pilots in school and they will begin to have normal lives. The surface of the town has begun to live again with the defenses coming up. But you will all be moved to a different town that has survived more while the last of the people are evacuated. The tow we are going to has many army posts already so it isn't as dangerous to walk around. You will all be given communicators and contacted on a regular basis as well in emergencies for you to check in," she said setting a suitcase on the table. She opened it and six watches shone in the light. Jim reached forward and grabbed three handing them to Paul and Rick. Rick strapped it on his wrist and activated it.

"It looks like a normal watch," Jim said setting the time.

"It is in all normal terms but with a mike and speaker hidden in it. When you are needed the screen will alert you and it will beep three times before you are contacted. Then you will need to immediately proceed to the ORMs," she replied closing the suitcase. Paul nodded and grinned at the little cartoon of a robot walking across the screen.

"What's with the symbols?" Rose asked looking at a rose grow on the screen before shrinking back into the seed then repeating.

"Each is a representation of yourself," the general replied.

"What's with mine?" Rick asked holding his watch up. Nothing was on it but darkness and the time.

"Your symbol will appear in times in which you need to come back," the general said nodding seriously. Rick's happy face went sober and lost all look in it. He nodded and sat back. Jim and Paul exchanged a look and shook their head. June and the rest of the pilots looked at Rick. The general nodded and looked at all of them.

"Dismissed," he said. All stood and saluted before leaving. Rick walked out and sighed before walking to the park. He looks over and waves.

"Guess you heard about the battle and stuff. I'll finish my story before heading to bed. Well…"

Jim took his arm away and laughed a little. June looked at me with malice in those eyes. I took my hand away as she sat down and ignored me. I grinned at her as I finished eating. Paul started a conversation with Rose while Jim stuffed his face. June started to talk with Age leaving me to my thoughts. Once I had finished all that I wanted I took my tray up to the trash and emptied it before setting the tray itself on top of the trash cover. I turned around to see the General talking to the other pilots with my father. I walked back and sat down facing the general.

"Rick good. Now the first testing of the ORMs will start," the general said.

"What are we going to do?" Age asked grinning at the general.

"Well Mr. Hireg will explain," the general said walking away.

"We will put one of you in a simulator and have you fight some test enemies. Depending on what you do and how you do it you will get the ORM," he said looking at all of us but skipping over me. We all nodded and stood.

"Now follow me to the lab for the test," he said turning and walking away. We all followed him to a lab where a large table with long thin metal pins rested in it.

"When one of you tests the machine the rest of you will be able to see a likeness from these. It isn't the best but it's all we have. Now whose first?" he asked. June stepped forward and was shown to the simulator pod by an assistant. Well to just save time June kicked ass. Plain and simple. The Red ORM is the best attacker because of the several weapons. Jim was next and so on till me. My dad just had the assistant take care of it. Here is where people were stopped. I started up and looked around. Just the basic armament of a dagger, pistols, assault rifle and fists. I took off running forward where an enemy appeared. I jumped up grabbing the head with my left arm and kicked one behind it before throwing the one I grabbed into one on the left. I pulled out the rifle and took off shooting. In there I thought I was just doing average but Jim later told me the pins couldn't keep a good form I was moving around so fast. I fried the next few before the gun was shot away. I knew it was programmed in so I grabbed the knife and sliced the one that shot me up the center then whipped around cutting the arms, legs and head off the next in such speed it didn't even cut till I was away. I jumped off one and threw the dagger into the next before spinning around and shooting the one I jumped off with my pistols. I blew it up before landing and ducking away from the fire and shooting to the sides. They blew up and I dropped the pistols. I turned to the last six enemies. I took off running dodging side to side to avoid the fire. I punched one and jumped into a round house and stomped my foot through the one that had fallen. I leapt up and punched my fist through one that I had kicked. I grabbed its arm/gun and fired it at the others. Two were destroyed and the last one was damaged. I flipped the one I was holding over my shoulder into it blowing the last one up. The simulator stopped and I got out fine. June looked at me in respect and I got congrats from Jim and Paul before we were sent off.

The rest is basically me going to bed and waking up to see you. Well… see ya in the morning. Rick walks off as the park's lights dim to night time.