Fan Fiction ❯ The Fellowship of Two Strange Girls ❯ Entry Into the World of the Ring ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hi there! This is my fanfiction of LotR. I hope you like it. I've been putting a lot of work into it so I really hope you like it. So without further adu, here is Chapter one.

Disclaimer: I don't own anything but the OC's that I introduce and the twists on the original plot that pop in. Other than that, It's not mine.


Chapter 1
Entry into the World of the Ring

“Hey, hurry up and put in the movie, Cora!” Tiernan sat on the couch in the living room with her knees drawn up to her chest and a bowl of popcorn beside her. She was dressed in a comfortable pair of denim shorts and a brown T-shirt, the perfect clothes to spend the day lying around the house watching The Lord of the Rings. College finals were mind numbingly difficult and so a well earned LotR-forget-finals party was just what the girls needed. Tiernan had hardly left the couch all day and as a result was looking rather rumpled and tangled. Her friend, Cora, by contrast (damn her and her short hair never getting tangled by the passing of the day) was in some old jeans and shirt she had fished out of her laundry basket of clean clothes she was supposed to have put away the day before. Still she miraculously managed not to look like a crumbled piece of paper.

“It’s in. I’m just fixing the surround system,” Cora replied her back to her friend.

“Havodad, Cora! I want to watch the movie,” Tiernan complained throwing a kernel of popcorn at her friend’s back.

Cora turned all the lights off in the small apartment that she shared with Tiernan so that they could see the screen better, and not worry about glare. She did however leave one small light on to keep from stumbling in the dimness. She sat down by her friend with the bowl between them and pressed play on the remote.

“There! Are you happy?” Tiernan smiled and they both turned their attention to the large TV in front of them.

The girls sat watching the last movie, quoting lines as they went, each poking fun at the other for foolish fantasies. This went on for quite some time when there was a knock at the front door. With a sigh Cora paused the movie and went to answer the door.

“I wonder who it is?” She muttered to herself, and Tiernan called out to her friend in reply.

“It’s Legolas. He’s come to tell you he’s madly in love with you and wants to make you his bride.” Cora made a very rude gesture over her shoulder with her hand, causing Tiernan to erupt in gales of laughter, replying, “No, thanks. I’m going to step out back for a breath of air.“ Rising languidly to her feet, Tiernan opened the rear door and stepped out. The sun was just setting and the stars where starting to appear in sky. Breathing deeply the cool air Tiernan, let her eyes wander. Her gaze passed along the fence, and at some random spot, it seemed to shimmer. She blinked. The fence wasn’t wet, why would it shimmer?

“There’s no one here, Tiernan,” Cora yelled from the front door, closing it as she wandered back through the apartment to find her friend staring intently at the fence.

“Does it take you that long to breathe?”

“I was distracted,” she said tearing her eyes away from the fence.

“Easily done,” was the joking reply as the two girls turned to go back inside.

Pausing halfway in the door, Tiernan turned back. A circular section seemed to shine like water in the moonlight. She walked over to the fence, looking at that spot. It looked perfectly normal from here; so why did it glimmer at a distance? She reached out her hand.

“It’s a fence, Tie. What do you think it’s going to do? Bite you?” Cora came back out of the apartment and was watching her friend from the door. Tiernan looked at her for a moment, then turned her attention back to the fence. She was being stupid and she knew it; she just needed to prove it to herself. She had to touch it. She stretched her hand out and her hand slid right through. Her arm vanished into the fence up to her elbow. Startled, she yanked her hand back and stumbled into Cora, who had walked up to see what her friend was being stupid about. The two girls crashed to the ground as they lost their balance.

“Where did you get your balance, a three-legged desk?” Tiernan was too stunned to answer, staring back at the fence in awe. “What are you staring at?” Cora disentangled herself from Tiernan and stood looking down at her.

Tie climbed back to her feet and went back to the fence. She reached out again, and the same effect, her arm slipped into the fence and vanished. Cora looked at her friend, speechless. Tie, curious as always, walked forward.

“Tiernan, don’t!” Cora called as she vanished into the fence. Not sure what else to do, Cora took a deep breath and followed her friend intent on bringing her back from where ever she had gone. Her jaw dropped as she gazed around to find herself in a lush forest that looked familiar, but she knew she had never been there before. Tie was standing just a few feet in front of her, looking around in wonder.

She knew this place; its name was just on the tip of her tongue. Cora looked about trying to put the name to the forest. Then she had it. She turned and grabbed Tiernan by the arm and began to pull her back toward whatever it was that had brought them there.

“What is going on? Where are we?” Tiernan asked, letting her friend drag her back.

“Go back. We have to go back.” She shoved her friend back to where they had come through, but instead of going back Tie walked right by, staying in the forest. Cora stopped and reached out. It was gone; they were stuck.

“Cora, what is going on?” Tiernan asked realizing they couldn’t go back. “Where are we?”

“I…I think… Tiernan, I think we’re in Middle-Earth, and I don’t think we can go back.”