Fan Fiction ❯ The Forgotten ❯ Forgotten ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

FanFic Disclaimer: I do not own Avatar: the Last Air Bender. I do own the concept of the Forgotten, Mercy, and Siren. I also own the plot, story, and any characters you do not recognize. This is the one and only disclaimer for this fanfic. If I absolutely NEED to write another one, it will be written then.
 
 
 
The Forgotten
 
Chapter One: Forgotten
 
 
There is a forest surrounded by villages of all four nations. Fire to the west, Water to the south, Earth to the north and the ruins of an Air bending temple to the East. Deep within the ancient wood resides a creature of legend, though the legend has been long forgotten. Now all that's left of the fable are rumors and ghost stories. None of the villages can even agree on a name or background for the beast.
 
 
For the Earth Benders, the creature is a tall, thin being cloaked in black. Its eyes glowing red beneath its hood, the only visible facial features. It hides within the branches of the old gnarled trees and waits for some poor soul to wander into its domain. Then it leaps down with its scythe and slaughters the unfortunate fool. After devouring the flesh, the thing leaves the corpse at the edge of the woods. For Earth Benders the creature's name is Reaper.
 
The Bloody Siren is what the Fire nation village calls it. Nobody's actually seen it in person. Supposedly, it lures men and children into the woods with its enchanting voice and they are never heard from or seen again.
 
Air Benders once told stories of Lady Death. She waited at the edge of the woods and caught the attention of traveling men or boys. Beautiful pale skin and enchanting blood red eyes. She wore a black dress and veil, feigning the loss of a loved one to get the man to try and comfort her. She then led them into the forest and butchered the poor lads… feasting on their flesh and soul.
 
Lastly, Water Tribes spoke of a demon that slept in the streams running in and out of the thicket. Its serpent like body slipped easily through the water without sound. It would attack those nearest and gut them out like a fish. After its meal it would string up the child or woman from the trees. The birds and animals never touched the corpse, and too afraid of the Beast, the tribesmen left the bodies there to rot.
 
No one knows the true form of the thing that haunts the Forest of the Damned, or what it really is. They do know that it is old, sly and strong. The stories of old are forgotten, as is the forest's history. Because of fear, rumors, disappearances and deaths no one dares venture into the forest to find out what the Thing is…
 
And those that do, either never come back, or their bodies are found mutilated around the perimeter of the woods.
 
 
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
And that's chapter one… Woah, that was kinda short and… eww. Um, hoped you liked it. *Rereads chapter * Yeah, maybe I should get some sleep… Sleep would be good…
 
Thanks for reading this far,
 
-StraitJacket