Fan Fiction ❯ The Misadventures of Tsuki and Nikko ❯ Checkers ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Episode 3: Checkers



"I’m hungry and there’s no food in this house. Why haven’t we been grocery shopping?" complained Tsuki coming out of the kitchen after rummaging through it for a few minutes.

"We have been grocery shopping. Remember we bought more brownie mix and dog food for my adorable puppy. I think we got some strawberries in there somewhere too. Not too sure though. With the overgrown mold on the peas in there from last month, it’s hard to tell if anything at all is in the fridge," said Nikko, who was thoroughly engrossed in some anime that was on television.

"Oi. It’s your turn to clean out the fridge too. I’ve also decided to ban you from going shopping with me for groceries. You remember to feed your puppy and your sweet tooth, but not your best friend. I had to settle for four strawberries this morning for breakfast! It also means that besides the culture of slime growing on the peas, there’s nothing in the fridge," said Tsuki falling onto the couch with a dramatic sigh.

"Then why don’t we go out to eat?" suggested Nikko. "We could go to Checkers or something."

"Is this your way of covering up your horrendous choice of food items last grocery trip?"

"Maybe," said Nikko with an innocent look on her face.

"Oi. Since you obviously won’t get off your lazy rear end to actually buy something edible, I guess Checkers will have to do. You do realize, however, that the moment I walk out the door, something bad will happen, right?"

"Of course. It follows around like a curse or something, or at least it follows you around," Nikko said just before she ate the pillow that Tsuki threw at her. "The pillow could use a little salt…"

"Please don’t tell me you’re that hungry…"

"I might be," said Nikko, looking up at Tsuki with puppy eyes.

"Whatever. I’m hungry. Come on... Let’s go!"

"Not until my anime is over. Considering that it is a marathon," said Nikko taking a look at her watch, "we should be able to go in about two more hours."

"I thought you were starving too!"

"Not anymore. I’m full."

Tsuki’s mouth fell open and all she could do was gape at Nikko.

"Wha-at? I ate a whole pillow, remember?"

Tsuki fell over anime style. "I am not waiting two hours for your cartoons to be over with. I’m going to leave without you," said Tsuki slipping into her flip-flops.

"I’d like to see you try," said Nikko still staring at the television screen.

"Watch me," said Tsuki storming towards the front door.

"You’re not gonna get very far," said Nikko, looking as innocent as is possible for a demon whose horns would show even through a fifties-style hair-do.

Tsuki turned on her heel and charged at the now cowering Nikko. "And why not?" she demanded.

"Because you need keys to drive the car," Nikko calmly replied, standing up.

"And why would… WHAT DID YOU DO WITH MY KEYS?" Tsuki glowered at Nikko.

"I hid them so you wouldn’t leave without me," retorted Nikko with her hands on her hips. "I’m not quite as brainless as you think. I’ve known you too long to not know that you would leave me behind in a heartbeat. I planed ahead."

"For once in your life."

Nikko stuck out her tongue.

"Fine! I’ll just have to use your monster as a hostage until you give them back. Let’s see… I could get revenge for that time when he chewed up the stuffed kitty Taiyo gave me. I’ll never forgive him for that one! Or that time he left chew marks all over my camera," said Tsuki with a glare.

"It served you right about your camera. The eye of Satan deserved it!" declared Nikko.

Tsuki just stood there and tapped her foot. Her hands were on her hips and her face contained "the look"—the kind that mothers give their children when they’re misbehaving.

"Oh, no! ‘The look’!" said Nikko, now pretending to whimper under Tsuki’s glare.

"I hate to do this, but you brought it upon yourself," Tsuki said as she unplugged the TV from the wall, and removed the cord from the back of the TV. "It seems that your anime marathon has been canceled for today," she said as she twirled the cord in her hands.

"Fine. I’ll go get your keys. But as soon as we return, I’m finishing whatever is left of that marathon," stormed Nikko.

"Good girl," Tsuki said, bending over to pat Nikko’s head.

Nikko scowled as she headed to her bedroom. Loud crashes could be heard as Nikko rummaged through all the junk in her room in search of the keys. A few minutes of silence followed as Nikko walked out of her room and back down the hall to where Tsuki was waiting.

"Nikko, you look you got hit by a train," said Tsuki, staring at the slightly disheveled girl.

"Shut up. Just shut up and let’s go," snapped Nikko.

Soon the duo was off to Checkers. Tsuki drove up to the little box that you give your orders to. "What do you want Nikko?"

"Hmmm. I want a regular checker-burger with fries and a chocolate milkshake."

"No milkshake."

"No milkshake?" asked Nikko, beginning to pout.

"You don’t need the sugar," said Tsuki, giving Nikko "the Look" <T: Tsuki gives Nikko "The Look" a lot in this epi. A: come on… she deserved every one of them. T: so says you! A: yup! I’m the editor, remember? T: anywho, on with the epi>

"I do too. I haven’t had any coke this morning!" protested Nikko.

"Let me put this in terms you can understand. If you get a milkshake, you walk home."

"Fine. I’ll take a coke then."

Tsuki turned around to the little box out the window, and gave Nikko’s order to the now ticked-off person on the other end. "See what you did Tsuki, you made the box mad. You took too long! If you had just let me have my milkshake…" Nikko was quickly silenced by another glare from Tsuki.

After that, Tsuki ordered her food, drove around, paid the disgruntled worker, and received both meals. "Do you want to eat here in the car? Or do you want to wait until we get home to eat?"

Nikko didn’t say anything but answered by diving into her food.

"I guess that means I need to find a parking space," said Tsuki as she drove around the little curb to park the car.

"I choose the radio station!" exclaimed Nikko reaching to the dial.

Tsuki quickly reached over and slapped Nikko’s hand.

"Ow! That hurt!" exclaimed Nikko.

"I’m the driver! That means I choose the radio station," said Tsuki triumphantly.

Nikko stuck her tongue out at Tsuki.

"Ew! I did NOT want to see that!"

A few minutes later, thunder rumbled. Tsuki looked up in the sky. Not a cloud could be seen for miles. "Nikko," Tsuki questioned, "you watch enough TV. Did the weather channel call for thunderstorms from an unusually clear sky?"

"Tsuki, I think all those higher level courses have finally cooked your brain," Nikko answered, not looking up from her mutilated food. "Now that you mention it, it does sound like thunder." She looked out the window, only to see clouds of dust as a stampede of Checkers workers running away from the restaurant as their legs could carry them. Nikko and Tsuki held on to the little handles on the door, as the wind from the stampede literally shook the car. Nikko looked over to Tsuki and asked, "Any idea what that was about?"

"None at all," replied Tsuki who continued to watch the scene.

Soon the restaurant was empty, and all cars that were in line had left or had parked in the lot across the street. Somewhere off in the distance, but coming closer every second, a fire engine could be heard.

"I wonder what happened. Do you think it’s possible that the manager or somebody had a heart-attack?" said Nikko.

"You dumbo. If someone had a heart attack, people would have rushed TO the scene, not AWAY. You would also hear an ambulance instead of a fire truck. No, this scenario appears to be something inside the Checkers that is about to…" Suddenly, there was a thunderous sound and a mushroom-type cloud to accompany it. A loud honk followed milliseconds afterward. "Explode" finished Tsuki.

"Very good, Ms. Genius. Now tell me, why we didn’t drive away like everyone else did if you knew what was going to happen?" implored Nikko as she got up from the floorboard where she had hidden when the blast sounded.

"Shut up!" said Tsuki, rubbing her head from where she had tried to duck like Nikko had done, but instead had slammed her head into the horn.