Fan Fiction ❯ The One to Blame ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The One to Blame

My second ficlet for the 15-Minute Challenge at LJ. So much fun! ;D

* * *

"I'm going out to meet Ron."

"Are you guys going somewhere?"

"Yeah, I think we might go down to that new bar on sixth street."

Kaeka Mayumi was tired of her roommate, Ichiro Hakkai, going out with his so-called "lover". The two of them always went out on the days Ichi had promised to spend with her, but she wasn't quite sure if she was jealous of her friend's playmate or if it was something unknown. All she knew was that she had just about reached her limit.

"Do you want me to bring you anything on the way back?"

"No thanks," she said, feeling the sharpness of her words cut through the air like a knife.

Ichiro seemed to notice this because he involuntarily took a step back. Lately, he's sensed changes in his best friend since high school. He too was getting sick of her pretending like nothing was wrong when it was pretty obvious that something was. And he took the initive to find out what.

"Okay, Kaekae," he said using his nickname for her. "Something's bothering you, and I'm getting tired of having to try and guess if I've done something wrong."

Kaeka knew what he was saying was from the heart, but right now, she was in a bitchy mood and would have gone off on anyone. But seeing as he was the only one there, and the one who had caused her stress, she said to him, "Yes, there's something wrong! And you know what, you're the problem; you and Ron. I'm sick and tired of the two of you doing things together and not including me! I'm not asking for a lot, Ichi, just to be included every now and then. Is that so much to ask?"

Her words weren't as harsh has the ones she had planned in her head if this conversation ever did come up, but she didn't seem to care.

"I don't know what the hell you're talking about! I just asked you if you wanted anything, didn't I?"

"That's not what I'm talking about!" she yelled back at him. Was he really that dim-witted? "Volunteering to bring me your leftovers isn't what I mean! Did you ever stop to think that I might wanna go check out the bar?"

"But Kaekae," he said, calming down some. "The bar I'm talking about, well...it's a gay bar."

Kaeka was speechless. She was well aware of Ron's sexual preference, but not of her best friend's. She felt her eyes well up with tears as the words just spoken played themselves over in her head. She thought she had been in love of Ichiro, but now...what was she going to do?