Fan Fiction ❯ The Rain Never Stops ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

The Rain Never Stops

A young African girl shoved her small head out of a door. If you could call it a door; It was an archway made of cardboard and scrap metal that had been drenched by the floodwater. Being daring and young, the child disobeyed his curfew on the shantytown, and stepped outside. There were shouts; a gunshot and the girl lay still on the ground.

Tamara woke up, her side aching terribly. Her face was covered in cold, feverish sweat and the floodwater, which covered most of the lands of Kenya. She shivered, her rags damp and the room drafty. She raised her head slowly and painfully. There was a wall, made of brick; she touched it in awe then continued looking around the room. There was a window covered with bars. The door had bars and there was a man outside with a gun. Tamara's stomach gave a jolt and panic rose in her body. She looked around for something to distract her. She saw something and realized that she was not alone. A young boy sat shivering in the corner. He was looking straight at her. Standing up, he carefully walked over and handed her his blanket. The more appropriate word would have been a rag. But Tamara was grateful and gave a timid reply of thanks. The boy walked back to the corner, where he sat with his arms wrapped around his body.