Fan Fiction ❯ The Sorrows of Tomorrow ❯ Dark Tidings and Hope ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Sorrows of Tomorrow

Summary: Trouble brews deep in the heart of Mirkwood and Rhun the darkness thickens. Friends will be pitted against each other and only hope can save them.

Chapter 10: Dark Tidings and Hope

The King sat on his throne and gazed down at the scout. Many thoughts ran through his mind and the one word that stood out was trouble. The elf before him was one of the ones who had journeyed with Legolas's sentries and from the looks of him things hadn't gone to well. Cuts and bruises showed on his fair skin and his clothes had seen better days. He truly didn't want to know why the elf looked so worn or injured, but alas he was sure to find out.

Esendal watched as many emotions shown in the blue eyes but the one that stood out the most was wariness. It had taken time to finally reach Mirkwood palace and to inform the king. There had been many dangers on the way and it didn't help that he had literally run into a pack of hungry spiders. And he just hated spiders especially that big one that thought elves made tasty snacks.

"Where is my son Esendal?" the king asked in resignation.

The scout took a deep breath and could only hope for the best. Why was he always the unlucky one who had to deliver the bad news? It should have been the she-elf Yeldena or some other elf.

"He has been in injured and captured by Orcs and the human, my liege."

He watched the varying emotions dart across the king's face and winced. Oh no things really weren't going to well and he cursed his captain twice over. Maybe it would have been better to have been that spider's snack or to have stopped at the healing rooms first. At least then he could have perhaps forced someone else to report this but that was doubtful.

"Are you telling me that my son was injured and taken?" Thranduil asked too calmly.

Esendal gulped nervously and nodded. He watched as his liege's eyes narrowed in suppressed anger and held his breath.

"And where were the other sentries at?"

"The prince wouldn't let any of us go with him, sire." Esendal replied nervously.

Thranduil just knew the message wasn't going to be good and wasn't to surprised by this. His son was pigheaded enough to tell his guards this and didn't care about the consequences. Legolas knew better then to travel alone anywhere but no he never listened. And now said son was in trouble and could be badly injured. The longer he thought about this the more angery and worried he became.

"Summon my guards!" he yelled. Thranduil watched as the scout literally jumped and then rushed to do his bidding. Legolas, his only child was in the hands of Orcs and who knew what they would be doing to him now. Horrible images appeared in his mind and each worse then the first one. He should have never sent him out to find out who the mortal was or what he was doing with the Orcs. When he saw his son again the first thing he would do was hug him, then throw him in the dungeons, and throw away the key. Maybe that would keep him out of trouble, well at least for awhile until he escaped.

"My king?"

Thranduil looked up and gazed at his seneschal in question. He hadn't even heard the other elf and must have been too deep in thought. The other elf was looking a bit irritated and that wasn't good. Nothing usually bothered the laid back and serious elf. And it must be something big or bothersome to effect him in such away.

"What is Arnadian?"

"There is a messenger to see you my lord and it is about Legolas." Arnadian replied irritably.

Now that was a bit of surprise and who was this messenger? And why was his seneschal annoyed?

"Send him in."

He watched as a human stepped into the room and wanted to roll his eyes. The mortal strolled into the room and had an arrogant smirk. And now he knew why Arnadian was annoyed and so was he. It was tempting to just snatch the letter and throw the man into the dungeons. Glaring at the mortal, he almost smiled in satisfaction at the brief flash of fear.

"What message do you have about my son?"

The man replied nervous like. "An important one from my lady."

The king watched as his seneschal took the letter from the man and handed it over to him. Gazing down at the letter, he wished it was going to be good but highly doubted it. Today was not going to well and it never did if Legolas was involved. Opening the letter, he read over the comments slowly and then snarled in rage.

*

Dearest Thranduil

I know you remember me or least you should. I have your son as my guest and if you want him back then come to the Rhun forest. You may bring guards with you but none shall enter the forest. If you don't obey this then your son will know horrible pain and then die knowing you didn't love him enough to come.

Serutia

*

Thranduil's eyes narrowed and he wanted to hurt someone. He would never forget that she-elf and how she tried to kill him. She blamed him entirely for coming back alive after the war and her father didn't. Many elves died in the Last Alliance and didn't come back. It was a trying and sad time for the Sindarin elves. Whatever the reason she had no right to drag his son into this mess and make him pay for something he never did. Footsteps sounded nearby and he watched as his guards came into the room. Standing up, he threw the paper down and glared at the human.

"Tell your master that I will come and follow her demands." He spat coldly. "And Arnadian escort our guest quickly out of Mirkwood."

He watched as his seneschal grabbed the human roughly and forced him out of the room. It was satisfying to see the human go and hear his protest. Turning back to the guards, he nodded thanks to Esendal and smiled grimly.

"We will be leaving shortly to journey to Rhun and to rescue my son."

The other elves looked shock and with good reason.

"What is going on, my liege?" One of the guards asked.

Explaining quickly he watched as surprise and outrage appeared on there faces. The elves loved there prince and were very protective. He watched as his captain of guards step forward and waited.

Determination flashed in his captain's brown eyes. "When do we leave my liege?"

"We leave now."

All the guards nodded and left the room. Turning to Esendal, he walked over to him and placed a calm hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you for bringing me the message and now go see the healers."

He watched as the scout nodded and left the room. Hopefully it wouldn't take to long to for them to head out of Mirkwood to Rhun. And hopefully that vindictive she-elf would not harm his son in anyways, even though he bet she would.

~

Legolas paced and grumbled in irritation. He had been in this tiny room for a day or more, and it was irritating. The room was pretty small with only a hard bed, a table, and a barred window. Not a cheery room by any circumstances and it reminded him of a cell. He had been left alone so far but he knew that would soon change. Walking over to the window, he gazed outside and leaned against the wall. The trees outside were quiet and he let out a sigh. It was still odd to him that she would be working with Orcs but then again she wanted revenge. That she would use any means necessary was not good and meant she was a formidable foe. A few Orcs walked by and two humans talked near a set of trees. He wondered about the boy Selamant and where was he at. It was still odd that the human had healed him and offered his protection. What was even stranger was the warning he had received and why he even cared. Hearing footsteps nearby, he backed up and leaned against the far wall. His cell door opened and in stepped the lady and her two companions. Somehow he wasn't too surprised that she wouldn't come alone since she didn't strike him as stupid. He wondered why the horrible Groto was here, perhaps to intimidate him? Whatever the case, he glared at the Orc and looked back at the she-elf.

Serutia gazed at the prince and smiled smugly. "I have sent one of my men to deliver a message to your father. It should get there in another few days and I sent one of your knives as proof."

Legolas wanted to strangle her but thought better of it. He could see Groto tensing next to her and just bet that the Orc would be happy if he did. It gave him a so called excuse to subdue him or more beat him into submission. Now his father was coming and would be walking into a trap. Somehow he needed to get out of here and that was just the problem. How? For now he would have to bide his time and wait for the right moment.

Serutia waited for a response but when none came she grew angry. How dare this little elf prince not answer her when she had just spoken?

"Well aren't you going to say something?"

Legolas heard the impatience in her voice and cocked a brow. "Oh and what should I say? If I plead with you to let me go you will say no and if I ask you to leave my father alone you will still say no. So what is the point in even asking or saying anything?"

It was a moronic and cocky thing to say but who cared. She had obliviously came in here to gloat or get some satisfaction from telling him all this. And he was in know mood to deal with her or this pettiness.

Serutia almost stomped her foot in frustration and about snapped at the elf. The stupid prince thought that he was so smart well time to change tactics. Perhaps something else would rile the elf and knock him off his high horse. She looked at the cloak one and cocked an eyebrow. The wizard gazed her for a moment and inclined his head. So he didn't care what she did and that was good. A smirk appeared on her face and she looked back at the prince.

"Did you know that I have something that you would just die to know?"

The smugness in her voice made Legolas uneasy and he had a bad feeling about this. He could see that she was waiting for a reply but decided not to speak. One way or the other she would say it or not.

Serutia watched the elf carefully and noticed the look. The prince wasn't biting yet but he would be.

"It's about Selamant and who he once was. I bet you are curious as to it as much as he is. He truly doesn't remember his past but I do."

Legolas was surprised by this and the unease became and all out warning. She was telling him this for a reason but why. Of course a small part was curious about the boy but not enough to ask her. He watched as she walked right up to him and stopped.

Serutia raised one of her hands and touched his cheek. She watched the blue eyes widened and then narrow in anger. The next part would be delightful to see and she smiled smugly.

"But what he doesn't know is that once upon a time he went by a different name and that it is elven."

Something clicked inside and Legolas wasn't sure he wanted to know. It was something he so desperately wanted to hear but at the same time no. He wished that he could push her away from him but knew that Groto would attack. She still hadn't spoken the name and yet he knew she would. He watched as she stepped even closer and her brown hair brushed his face.

"His name was Estel." She whispered mockingly into his ear.

"You lie." Legolas snarled. It wasn't possible that this was Estel and he would not believe it. No matter how much he longed for it to be true or how in some ways Selamant acted like Estel.

"Oh?" Serutia said smugly. "It is not impossible little prince. One just needs the knowledge of the dark arts and a sacrifice."

"Sacrifice?" Legolas asked in surprise.

Serutia wanted to laugh in joy at the prince's tone. It was filled with such shock and wariness. He was biting nicely and now to take it a step further.

"Yes I believe the sacrifice's name was once Lossëdil and he was your cousin. He did scream delightfully as he lay dying on the table and I savored every minute of it."

Legolas froze and felt rage fill his being. Lossëdil had done many wrong things but no one deserved to die like this. And to hear that Estel had been in her clutches all this time made the rage glow hotter and without thinking he attacked. Magic slammed into him and he crashed into the wall. Panting in rage he struggled but couldn't get free. The wizard had raised a hand and a pale glow surrounded it. The she-elf walked right up to him and kissed him on the cheek. It made him squirm and he wished that he could wipe it off.

"And the funny part is that you could tell him all this and he wouldn't believe you."

He closed his eyes and heard her laugh in triumph. It was all terribly true and he knew he could do nothing. Estel was alive but he remembered nothing. Not his family, his past, or even there friendship. He wanted to scream to the Valor and ask why. Why did they return the human to this life and for what reason?

Serutia watched the despair on the prince's face and smiled wider. His reaction had been satisfying and had knocked him down a peg or two. But perhaps a wee bit more satisfaction was in order? Turning to Groto, she looked at him and pointed towards the elf.

"Punish him for trying to attack me but do not kill him or else." She said coldly.

Groto grinned cruelly and nodded. "My pleasure my lady."

Legolas opened his blue eyes and glared at the Orc. The smile of glee on Groto's face didn't bode well and there was no Selamant around to help this time. The punishment was going to be painful but he wouldn't go without a fight. A bit of hope sparked inside of him and he snarled at Groto. Surprise showed on the Orc's face and then confusion. Maybe Estel or Selamant now didn't remember him or would believe him when he was told. Or even trust him enough to believe him, but no matter all this. His friend was alive and he just needed to get free, and take him home. Groto came closer to him and he couldn't avoid the fist to the temple. The last thought Legolas had was that Estel was alive and there was hope again.

~

The great trees swayed gently in the breeze and rippled the lake's surface. Elrond watched the waves and leaned back against the tree. He was still a bit angry at Galadriel and Mithrandir for all that they had told him about Estel. It was wrong of them to have kept this secret but understandable as well.

"She truly did want you to know old friend."

Elrond looked over at Mithrandir and sighed. He watched as his friend sat next to him and looked at him concern. The Maiar could always sneak up on him undetected and he never could figure out how.

"Yes I know this but it still hurts though. The thought of my son's body being taken from me was painful enough and then to discover that he is alive is even more overwhelming."

The Maiar looked at his friend in sympathy and placed a hand on the elf's shoulder. It hadn't been easy to keep this secret from Elrond and he had wanted to tell him. His friend and the twins had suffered so after Estel had died.

"That is understandable because it is your child who this was done to and it's normal for a parent to feel this way." Mithrandir replied calmly.

Another worry ran through the elf lord's mind and he looked at his friend.

"Did it cause him pain to be forced back into his body and will he remember us?"

Mithrandir gazed at him for a moment and shook his head. "I don't know my friend."

Elrond wasn't too surprised by this remark and sighed. His son was alive and it was best to focus on that at the moment. The other problems could be resolved later and after they went to find his son. The dream ran through his mind and he turned to his friend.

"I did have a dream before coming here old friend and Estel spoke to me there."

The Maiar looked at Elrond in surprise and wonder. It was rare for humans to ever have a chance to come to there love ones in dreams and only under special circumstances. He must be well loved by the Valarian Lorien to have achieved this.

"And what did he say?"

"He said that all would be revealed and I think this is what he meant. And he also said to trust in you and Galadriel. Something else puzzled me though."

"What my friend?"

"He said that you two would aid me when the time is right? I wonder what he means by this."

The two grew quiet for a moment and ponder over Estel's words. Just what had the boy meant when the time was right and aid from what? There musings were interrupted by pounding feet and soon Elrohir entered the glade. Elrond stood at the upset expression on his son's face and looked at him in worry.

"What is it Elrohir?"

Elrohir shook his head impatiently and said. "Ada, you must come quickly! Grandmother saw something in the mirror and it involves Thranduil, Estel, and Legolas!"

Turning around, he raced away and soon the other two followed. Rushing through the trees, they quickly entered the clearing and saw the others waiting. Slowing to a halt, Elrond gazed at the worried expressions and looked at Galadriel.

"What is wrong?"

Galadriel just shook her head and motioned for Elrond and Mithrandir to come closer. Pointing at the mirror the two of them walked over and looked in. Images flashed through the mirror and only a few stood out. Legolas was being beaten to death and was screaming. Thranduil knelt before a female elf in chains and then was beheaded. And a white hair youth with silver eyes that was eerily familiar held a dead elf in his arms and then killed himself.

Elrond took a dazed step back and would have fallen if not for the twins steadying hands. He knew those eyes and would never forget them no matter what.

"It is Estel isn't it? But what were Thranduil and Legolas doing there?"

"Yes it is and we don't know Elrond but they are all in grave danger." Celeborn replied.

"That is one of the possible futures that might happen and it must be stopped." Galadriel replied firmly.

Elladan squeezed his father's shoulder in comfort and gazed at Galadriel. "But how will we do this grandmother?"

The lady pondered this for a moment and looked at Elladan. "You, your gwador, and Adar, must travel to Rhun to stop this. Once there you must somehow persuade Estel not to choose the wrong path because if he does then this future will happen."

Mithrandir nodded his head and smiled warmly. "I am sure with us four going that we will be able to change Estel's mind and everything will hopefully turn out alright."

"I will send a few warriors with you along with some supplies then." Celeborn said.

Elrond watched them all quietly and smiled. His son Estel was alive and soon he would see him. A sense of joy and well being swelled in hisFëa. Persuading his youngest son wasn't going to be easy by a long shot but he was hopeful. And he was determined that Thranduil and Legolas wouldn't die. Maybe this was the aid Estel was talking about and he would accept it whole heartedly. A touch on his shoulder shook him from his thought s and he looked at Galadriel. Concern and sorrow showed in her light blue eyes.

"I am truly sorry for keeping this from you my son-in-law."

The elf lord shook his head and smiled at her warmly. "No it is alright Galadriel, I understand why you did it and all is forgiven."

Galadriel was even more surprised when Elrond hugged her gently.

"My son is alive and I thank you. If you hadn't done what you had done then Estel wouldn't be alive and I wouldn't have seen him again until the end of Arda."

She nodded her head and hugged him back. Tears briefly shown in her eyes and then she closed them. Galadriel had been terribly afraid that Elrond would never forgive her for this and she would lose his friendship. It was by the grace of the Valar that she had been forgiven so easy and she thanked them.

Elrond stepped away and looked at his sons and the Maiar. They were watching him happily and he smiled back. "As soon as we are organized we leave for Rhun at once!"

Joy filled there hearts and a determination to find Estel and be reunited once more. And let nothing stand in there way or just try to stop them.

~

TBC

Hope this chapter is okay cause I have sort of writers block and its so annoying. Maybe its caused by stupid college and homework? Anyways more secrets come out into the open and alot more trouble. Legolas now knows Selamant is Estel, Thranduil found out about his son, and Elrond is not upset. Will things go smoothly? Not a chance.... more angst to come and hopefully have the next chapter out in a few days!