Fan Fiction ❯ The talisman of worlds ❯ A dream and a memory ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

~Chapter one~
~A dream and a memory~
 
“Where am I? Why am I wearing this dress? Where am I going? Why am I going? I don't want to go! Why can't I stop?” Hikaru asked without getting any answers. She was in a large empty room. The young woman walked to a table on which some sort of talisman rested. She picked it up and it started to glow.
 
What's happening?” the girl asked, again not receiving any answers. Within minutes she was surrounded by a bright light.
 
Daremo sagashiteru yume wa kitto aru dokokani aru
Negai ga itsuka kanau made hitori janai...
 
Hikaru stopped the alarm on the phone, which she set for that morning. “It was just a nightmare!” she breathed relieved. The same nightmare she'd been having for the past eight years.
 
The young woman got out of bed and headed for the bathroom. After freshening up she made the bed and headed for the kitchen to make breakfast. After her grandmother had died, her parents left to work abroad, calling her only once in a while (on Easter and Christmas). She was used to being alone all day but now that it was a hollyday, it was all eerily quiet.
 
I want to change the world
kaze wo kakenukete   nanimo osorezu ni
ima yuuki to   egao no KAKERA daite
 
It was her mobile ringing again. It had to be Hotaru. She hadn't seen her in two days and she really missed her.
“How are you?” she asked enthusiastically.
“Fine. I wanted to tell you I'm going to the park with Momoko and I wanted to know if you're in too”
“Of course I'm in. When do we meet?”
“We'll be at your place at 11, OK?”
“OK, meet you at 11” said Hikaru and hung up.
 
The young woman went to her room and picked up a jacket since it was cold outside, considering the past few days. She opened the doors to the closet. Trying to get her jacket from the top shelf she accidentally caught it in the box next to it, its content scattering on the floor. Hikaru leaned down to pick up all the nothings she kept in that box since she was little. Amongst the coins and lockets on the floor, a strange medallion attracted her attention. She picked it up and was immediately overwhelmed by a strange feeling.
 
~Flashback~
 
The young Hikaru couldn't understand a thing.
“You can come in and see her if you whish” said the doctor coming out of her grandmother's room.
“Will she be alright?” her mother asked in concern.
“She had a heart attack. She is in a pretty bad shape” he told her.
Tears welled up in her mother's eyes “Hikaru, you go in and see her, we'll wait outside”
The young girl came into the room and she slowly approached the bed. “Come closer!” her grandmother encouraged her with a week voice. Hikaru did so. Her grandmother looked very tired.
“Hikaru, listen to me closely! I want you to go to the closet in the corner. On the top shelf, behind the books, you'll find an old wooden box. Bring it to me!”
Hikaru did as the old woman told her. Eventually she took a medallion out of the box.
“I want you to take care of this. Guard it with your life. You only have to believe and it will protect you” she told her, putting the medallion in her hands. “It's something of great value which will…” The old woman couldn't finish what she had to say because of a fit of coughing, preventing her from breathing. The doctor and her mother came in right away.
“Hikaru, I think it's best you wait outside” the doctor told her.
 
~End flashback~
 
That was the last time she saw her grandmother.
 
I want to… her phone went off. Hotaru was already here and was beeping her out of her mind. Without knowing why, she quickly put the medallion in her jeans' pocket and came down.
 
~End of chapter one~