Fan Fiction ❯ The Ties That Bind ❯ The King and I ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5 - The King & I

Elegant, Victorian decoration and an impressive domed ceiling were the first thing to always be noticed within the throne room of King Oberon III, proudly fierce monarch of the North American Dynastic Chain. The entire space was dominated by the massively ornate thrones set upon a dais at the farthest end of the stately room that was more of a grandiose reception hall than throne room. The predominant colors to be proudly displayed, even down to the candlesticks, were black and golden which was fitting considering they were the reigning king and queen's personal favorites. Weaponry of all eras and types were set in measured increments along the walls to provide a contrast to the colorful banners that represented each of the Twelve Kingdoms. The sweeping floors of the throne room were made of pale, smooth marble that was the finest in quality and polished to a high shine.

The usual denizens of the Royal Court were out in force, even as the intimidating figure of King Oberon sat upon his throne right next to the lovely figure of his consort, Queen Anne II. The royal pair cut an impressive figure in their entire gracious splendor as they presided over the Court as well as the lone figure that was sprawled gracefully in the audience position in front of the dais where the thrones resided.

A handsome figure of a man lay prone upon the cold marble floor with his forehead pressing to that cool surface, even as the span of his arms lay straight out to either side with his knees painfully bent underneath him. He had remained within his awkward position for enough time to pass for his entire body to be one long cramp of anguish, though he gave no outward sign of any discomfort. The fact he was clad in the light white and grey armor of formality was irrelevant. He could have been wearing nothing but a grim smirk for all the attention the King or Queen were showing him.

The quiet murmur of the Court continued in an unrelenting fashion as the prone man continued his vigil, obviously awaiting a public audience with the King. The question upon every courtier and Knight's mind or lip was the reason for this unprecedented audience as well as if he had made it of his own violation or if he had been summoned. After an undisclosed amount of time had passed, a strong, booming voice broke through that quiet murmur to command the attention of every single being within the throne room.

"Arise, Knight of the First Rank, trusted friend and noble servant of the Crown," Oberon said, casting unreadable, yet compassionate silver eyes down at the prone form before his throne. The lovely face of his Queen shone with a gentle smile that was lined with the weight of both monarch's shared responsibility and ruling powers.

Stiffly and yet with a smooth grace, the man rose from the marble floor, sweeping a look at those of the Court which caused more than one being to flinch visibly even as his gaze finally came to rest upon his liege. White and grey leather framed the strong lines of a muscular, nicely toned body which did not posses a spare inch of fat upon any part of it. A white cape that was embroidered along the collar with silver stars swirled around him, falling down along the backs of his calves and firm thighs. Soft white leather boots encased his legs up to the knee even as white gloves surrounded his hands in incredible softness. Silver stars lined both gloves and boots alike, winking faintly as he took a step forward and looked levelly up at King Oberon with an unsaid challenge in the depths of sparkling, dangerously glittering crystal blue eyes. A sword was strapped to his side, sheathed in grey leather that bore ancient Celtic runes.

"I have summoned you in regards to the Council's decree and your failure in carrying out their decree as it directly applies to you. Speak, Crispin, Knight of the Stars. Chose your words wisely for they will be used in Our Judgment of your ineptitude," Oberon demanded, silver eyes meeting the other. A simple crown of silver was lost amidst raven hair that fell all the way to the monarch's ankles. If one looked closely, the vague points of the king's ears could be seen underneath crown and silken mane.

"I challenge the justness of the decree as is my right and duty under the Code, Majesty. I speak for the impossibility of Semanche being one of the Forsaken. Betrayal has never once been seen within the House of Se'Lantra though I have discovered since my summoned return that thus was the reason given for her being Hunted now as a Code Breaker. There is more to this than meets the eye. I find it an odd coincidence that I of all the Knights was handed this Hunt, knowing that it is my own blood that I have been sent to wipe away," Crispin spoke in a voice that carried throughout the entire room, even as his gaze hardened to gaze over the Court.

"You were chosen by the Council for the opportunity this presents to redeem the honor of your House as well as to reap personal vengeance," King Oberon said quietly, even as his eyes flickered once to his Queen before settling back upon Crispin who stiffened visibly at those softly deceptive words.

"This is not a question of my personal honor or that of my House, Majesty. I will do my duty as I must, by Code and Council. I humbly request the Hunt be suspended until the truth of these troubling matters can be decided," Crispin said, gritting his teeth and staying calm against an onslaught of emotions that were threatening to overwhelm him at the worst moment possible.

"In all things relating to the Code, it is a question of honor, Crispin. You of all people know this better than any other Knight that has served my Crown. Would that I could grant your request for leniency and truth in this matter, but I cannot. Forces outside of my power scope are moving against this Kingdom and searching for any excuse to find fault with the Knights and all that they stand for. Now is not the time to balk, Knight of the Stars. Should I find another to do your sworn duty for you?" King Oberon said softly, voice laced with true regret for ordering brother against sister. Distaste and something more shone in his silver orbs as he glanced down at Crispin in entreaty.

Something deeper and far more insidious than we ever guessed is manipulating these events. The King cannot speak of it for fear that those behind these deceits and corruptions will know and act before Oberon is ready. For as long as I Hunt my sister, no other can touch her without facing my wrath. I can protect her, though I will take her life in the final turning of the hour. She will never forgive me for what honor demands of me in these dark times.

His thoughts were heavy as he considered how exactly to answer his monarch. With a heavy heart and a truly cold mask along the scarred beauty that was his face, Crispin spoke in tones loud enough to be heard throughout the entire throne room.

"Never, Majesty. Never let it be said that I and Mine did not know of duty and carry it out to the very ends of everything we are. The House of Se'Lantra will see its honor restored and will stand fast by the Crown and Code as we have for generations without end. By the death of my blood or my own last breath, I Hunt that which I hold most dear. Let it be known, however, that I do this for honor and not petty vengeance as many would accuse that know not what they speak of. Vengeance cannot bring back the dead, nor would she whom I loved beyond the capacity of reason to express thank me for such an action as I take now," Crispin said, face completely devoid of all emotion, though his hands gripped each other hard enough to cause the leather of his gloves to strain harshly.

King Oberon glanced at the proud man before him with something akin to royal sorrow and compassion. He was the best of leaders, the truest of Kings and performed that which honor and duty demanded of him with as much dignity as Crispin or any other Knight. This is what it means to be worthy of loyalty and to be a King caught in a time where few understand all the implications of such a role as well as the burdens it places upon the one wearing the crown.

"So let it be written. So let it be done," King Oberon declared, half-inclining his own head towards Crispin even as those simple words echoed throughout the entire throne room and Kingdom alike.

"My beloved husband, what of the other matter which brought the Knight of the Stars into our presence once more?" Queen Anne said softly, speaking for the first time through the entire public audience in dulcet tones that were beauty incarnate to listen to.

"Your memory is ever better than mine own, lovely wife," King Oberon said, smiling with a shining love at his Queen before turning back to the man who wore the first signs of true curiosity he had shone throughout the entire ordeal. "We ask that you take extra care in the hunting of this Forsaken, Crispin. He has been seen upon your trail as well as that of your once sister. Those that caught a glimpse of him no longer walk amongst us," the King said with quiet somberness.

"Is there anything more, Majesties?" Crispin asked with a slight widening of his eyes being only sign of how deep shock touched him at the monarch's revelation.

"Nothing more have we to say to you until you have redeemed yourself and your House in our eyes, Crispin of the First Rank. Go and prove yourself worthy once again of the power you have been given and the favor shone. Our judgment shall await your return. By Code and Peace, we wish you luck," King Oberon said, smiling resolutely at Crispin who offered a full bow to both beings sitting upon the thrones.

"By Honor and Duty, do I leave you to return when destiny has revealed itself in its entirety to its humble servant," Crispin said, flashing a faint smile where only the royal couple could see before he backed three paces away from the dais.

Abruptly, he turned, feeling the stares that followed his every graceful, dangerous motion down to the flaring swirl of his cape. Idly, he reached up to run the fingers of his hand along the crescent scar that delicately marred the perfection of his cheek. The scar adorning his other cheek was forgotten at present as he slipped out of the throne room, only breathing a sigh of relief when he retreated into the sanctity of the personal chambers that he maintained at the court for appearances. He spent little enough time within the circles of court intrigue and politics for the chambers to stand empty most of the time. It was nice to have a private retreat when he was forced to make an appearance at what was a home away from home for many of the courtiers. Crispin did not despise the King or the political system so much as the pomp, ritual, and overwhelming layers of ceremony that could bog down a man within the court.

What game are you playing at, brother? Friend or Foe? The last time I saw you was that night…

Crispin looked around at the spacious rooms, appointed with sumptuous furniture and lovely decoration. The surroundings were so far beyond the man he was that it was laughable. It was high time to be out on the Hunt again before too many questions were asked of his true motivations and designs. High time to be out of here before something happened that he might regret later.

"I'm coming for you siblings. Don't fear the reaper because tonight, I've stolen his scythe and horse. Death rides in the wings and soars towards you, though he weeps bitter tears for what must be done," Crispin whispered softly even as he disappeared in a flash of softly burning blue and silver light.

Gone from the world of magic and into that of men once again. Have mercy upon the souls of those that have gone before because the Knight of the Stars cannot afford such sweet things. Not even for his own flesh and blood.