Fan Fiction ❯ Tombstones: Voices of Affection ❯ Voices ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
It wasn't natural, but nothing about their relationship had ever been natural in the first place. But the teen was all that she had left, she couldn't just let her love slip through her fingers like that. No, their love was eternal. Nothing could separate them. Against all obstacles, they would thrive. They had in the past, and they would continue to do so in the future.
 
Though, this was definitely an obstacle that she had wished would never befall them. This was the last thing she had wanted. But what was done was done, and all she had to do was pick up the pieces and fix things. Neither could live without the other, so her lover would understand perfectly. Things would never be the same again, but as long as she had her other-half, it didn't matter. She could endure some pain as her teen had. Hers was an extreme emotional pain, and not the extreme physical pain that had befallen the other.
 
It would make sense to assume that they were being punished for their unnatural bond, each with varying amounts of pain. But she wanted the pain to be on herself only, and spare the other. She could have dealt with any amount of pain only if that meant that she didn't have to be alone.
 
The pair had made many promises. They had promised each other years back that nothing would get between them. That nothing could destroy their relationship. That if there was one, there was the other, always. They had also promised to be each other's guardian—if something were to happen to one, the other would rescue them. It may have been a child's promise, but she never broke a promise in her life. She wouldn't allow this to break the agreement that had been made. The contract would be fulfilled.
 
Because of this, she found herself on the dirt road. Looking for the tell-tale signs of the object that spelled out her lover's fate. She hadn't been allowed at the ceremony, forbidden to glance upon the beautiful face one last time. After all, their relationship was unnatural. It was wrong to send the girl off, with her woman lover watching. The girl's family refused to allow the woman in, and they would live to regret it.
 
The girl wanted her there. The woman could feel it in her bones. Her beautiful teen was calling out for her all day. It was strange how nobody else could hear it, but it seemed fitting enough. They had always had a strong mental bond on top of their emotional one. It was so easy figuring out what the other wanted. This time was no different. No amounts of distance could keep her from giving her lover what she wanted… freedom.
 
It was wrong of them to confine her in this place. But, as the old saying goes, `Absence makes the heart grow fonder.' And for that—and only that—could she give thanks to them. She indeed missed the girl, and her admiration had only grown within the month of not seeing her. Within the month of not being able to talk with her, and run her fingers through her hair, her devotion had grown. That devotion had grown into dangerous levels. She began thinking of dangerous things. It was all to keep her promise.
 
When people are in love, they tend to do crazy things. Love is an addiction. To suddenly be ripped away from an addiction can definitely destroy a person. Her despair had been great, and her tears had been many. The tears and grief had only been the fuel to the fire of her desperation. When people are overcome by such a strong sadness, they tend to do crazy things.
 
And as such, she found herself walking this dirt road in the pitch black night. She didn't know exactly where her partner was, but she could feel that it was near. She just had to read the names, and look carefully. The place she was looking in was large, and the containers many. But she would know when she reached it. It would be obvious. The dirt would be fresh, the stone new, and the flowers in immense numbers.
 
She would have done this in the daytime, but she wouldn't have been successful. There would have been too many people to observe, she would have been stopped. She would have been placed in a different sort of cage than the one that held her beloved. She would be far away from ever reaching their goal… from ever holding that body in her arms again.
 
She didn't want to wait long, for she knew full well the consequences of that. The damage would be too great to repair if left for a few days. No, she needed to do this while she could still preserve her young teen.
 
The desire to take back what was hers was great. The voice in her head was impatient, as it always had been. At that point, she had been straddling the line that leads to insanity. The impatient urging had nearly pushed her over completely. It was always hard denying that beautiful voice, it was even harder when she wanted nothing more than comply. But there was a time and a place for everything. A few hours until nightfall would do no great harm.
 
So, with the moon in the middle of the sky, she had set out to fulfill her task. Shovel in hand, she had hopped the fence. It was nearly too easy, to be undetected like this. Then again it was only right to assume that she wouldn't do this after they had sent the girl off. That because the girl was gone, her significant other would then give up and accept what had taken place. But she had refused to accept this, absolutely refused. Nothing would separate them, couldn't they see that?
 
She stopped abruptly, finding the place where her lover resided. She dropped the shovel, and then dropped to her knees. Her hands traced the letters on the stone as she read them aloud.
 
“Melissa Alison Oliver. Loved by many and will forevermore be missed.” Her voice broke, and she let out a single sob when she read the dates. She had only been nineteen, almost a full adult. Six years younger than herself, but with them, not many things like that had mattered.
 
Melissa's family had thought that she would stir up trouble at the funeral. Which was true, she wouldn't just stand by quietly while they buried her darling of four years. The teen's parents had pegged her as an awful person who would do cause nothing but trouble from the moment they had laid eyes on her. She had never really caused trouble, and had done no wrong to Melissa. In her eyes, even this wasn't wrong.
 
After all, it didn't really count as kidnapping. Melissa wasn't a child anymore. It wasn't exactly grave robbing when the body wanted to be taken away from the casket. Melissa wanted to be rescued, had been screaming for it in Sharon's head all day. With the idea that this wasn't wrong, Sharon set to work.
 
The shovel hit the dirt with a sharp scraping noise. One pile of dirt set to the side. She wiped sweat from her brow after a few hours of this. Halfway there the screaming intensified. Her lover could sense her coming to the rescue.
 
Sharon shushed Melissa's voice gently.
 
“My dearest,” she cooed, “A small amount of time and eternity will be ours.”
 
This pacified the extreme and impatient wailing to gentle murmurs of affection. It was a small comfort, and it kept Sharon digging. Scrape. Toss. Scrape. Toss. She preferred Melissa's rushing her to the metallic noise of the ground being broken. The tip of the shovel hit the dirt again, and again. The pile to the side was getting larger, and larger. Then the metal hit cherry wood, and scratched the polish on the top of the chest. Everything in Sharon's head went deathly silent.
 
She dropped to her knees—half out of exhaustion, half out of relief—and moved the rest of the dirt to the side so she could open the casket. It was more difficult than she had imagined, and it took her ten minutes to even find the latch. She jammed the spade in between the lid and the container, and pried the cell open….
 
Nothing could have prepared her for the sight. Melissa's eyes were closed, her beautiful tan skin now a pale-blue. Her vibrant red lips were the nearly the same color as her skin. Her gorgeous brown hair was wispy and unkempt. Sharon would have to fix that as soon as possible, Melissa hated having her hair messy like that. The dress she was wearing was a horrendous baby blue that Sharon knew her lover hated. A deep royal would have been better. At least it would have matched her beautiful stormy eyes.
 
What scared Sharon was that she wasn't frightened in the least bit. Perhaps she was finally lost her mind, if she wasn't on the brink already. She didn't like seeing the corpse of Melissa, but she couldn't exactly say she was appalled by it. The only thing she hated was the idea that Melissa was gone, never to speak to her again. Oh, but that would change soon enough.
 
Bringing her back to life was close to impossible, but that's not to say that it couldn't be done in one way or another. It may not be what most people consider alive, but Sharon wasn't most people. Just having Melissa around would suit her. She only had to preserve the beautiful teen, and all would be perfect. It was obvious that she had already been embalmed, which would make it that much easier to preserve her. Yet it would also make it that much harder to revive her. But Sharon was stubborn. If she couldn't restore Melissa to her former self… well, they always had managed to have a comfortable silence around the house more often than not. Though, the house would have to be kept a bit more cold than normal to accommodate Melissa's needs.
 
Sighing, she remembered her purpose and went back to work. With a great deal of effort, Sharon lifted Melissa out of the grave. She was trying to be as gentle as she could with the fragile teen, but it was more difficult than she had thought. She hadn't planned on it being like this. The term “dead weight” wasn't used loosely. In the end she tossed Melissa a few feet up, and then she carefully heaved herself out of the hole.
 
Sharon saw that the sun was rising, and she panicked. People would see what she had done. She needed to get the dirt back immediately, but that would take another hour. She didn't have that kind of time.
 
So she pushed most of the dirt back in, it was sloppy, but at the moment she didn't care. It was obvious that the grave had been disturbed, but that was the least of her worries at the moment. She just wanted to get Melissa into a safe place, and out of the sun. Anyone with common sense knew that it was foolish to leave something to decompose in daylight.
 
And thus, she started her trek to a good place to hide her beloved, the echoes of sirens already in the air.