Fan Fiction ❯ Torn ❯ Preparations ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey there. Thanks for checking out my Resident Evil fanfic. I just wanted to say a couple of things about it before you begin. Some of my story is based on the novels and some is based on the game, so a few characters might not be recognizable. Also, this is my first shot at writing a fic (actually my second shot since I felt like I needed to restart this one and make it better), so I would appreciate advice and comments.
 
Disclaimer: Characters and storyline references (such as the past) belong to the makers of Resident Evil and some belong to the author of the novels (S.D Perry). Everything that has to do with the character Nina Rabbitson belongs to me (aside from the character Billy).
 
Wow. Longer than I thought. Well, I'll shut up now and hope you enjoy my story and come back for more.
 
Enjoy.
 
* * *
 
October 5, 1998
 
It's been 2 months since I got Billy's last letter. The longest it's taken him was 1 month. I can't kid myself. I'm not a little girl anymore. It's hard and I feel broken, but it's not as if there's anything I can do about it. If only he had told me sooner. Either way I can't let this get in the way of my research. I wonder why Umbrella hasn't came to tell me about it though. All well, it doesn't matter. Let's see if tomorrow will bring better news.
 
There were some spots scattered around the page where the color had changed, as if it had been splashed in water; they were most likely tears. The side of the page had a smear on it as if the page was turned with wet hands. The page turned.
 
GOD I MISS YOU BILLY!
 
This one was covered with heavy tears filled with sadness and emotion. Time had caused them all had dried—along with the feeling of emotion that had flooded her when she wrote the page.
 
* * *
 
Jill did as she was told. She loaded each of the clips, still staring at the young woman sitting on the windowsill. The young woman's name was Nina Rabbitson, apparently the same last name as Chris' deceased friend Billy. Nina had come to them a couple of days ago during their first get together since they took Umbrella down. She told them her heartfelt story about having searched for her brother since he stopped sending her letters. All of it had been a load of shit to Jill as well as the others, but unfortunately Chris had fallen for it—all of it. Jill guessed that it was to be expected, considering that she had said that she was related to Billy and had proof to back it up. But seriously now, how could she have possibly known that Chris knew Billy when he doesn't even remember her? And how on Earth did she know where to find them? They made sure that they were careful when moving into the new city, made sure that no one could find out what they had been through. So how had she known to come to them about a hidden lab? She had proof to back her up; Jill gave her story that much credit, but there was still something about her
 
Just quit it already dammit! You know that there's no way to convince Chris once he made up his mind. There's also a left over Umbrella lab that needs to be checked out regardless. Get a hold of yourself. Your suspicions can wait—
 
That is, if her suspicions are in fact proven to be true and the time comes, it won't already be too late. It didn't seem that important at the moment, right now she had to concentrate on getting her job done. Jill's gaze was still locked on Nina and by the looks of things, Nina didn't mind. Jill was pretty sure that she knew.
 
Nina wasn't so much as beautiful as she was cute. Her short black hair ran just above her peachy white skin and was kept away from her face with a white headband. She wore a blue long-sleeve turtleneck that almost covered her black shorts and white sneakers. Her outfit was topped off with a small, white, and furry backpack the shape of a bear; it was supposedly a special gift she got from her brother on her birthday, but come one now, she already 22. Her most prominent feature was her eyes; they were almost black except for the hint of blue and green that circled the pupil. Leon and Claire had said that the blue and green reminded them of the virus and anti-virus that Birkin had created in Raccoon City; they were the exact same colors too. The best way that Jill could think of to describe her appearance was that of a child's, aside from the obviousness of her breasts of course. Even her personality was similar, from what Jill's seen so far that is; innocent, sweet, and pure with a hint of fun.
 
“Is everything alright?” Kind as usual that Barry. He had one of his hands placed on her shoulder; it was a feeling of reassurance.
 
“Sort of…” Her voice trailed of knowing what Barry's response would be.
 
“Still having doubts?” His head motioning in Nina's direction. All she could do was simply nod her head. “Same here,” Jill's eyes widened. Earlier he had been completely up for it just as Chris had… so what's with the sudden turn?
 
“You too huh?” She wanted to ask more, but knew that she would get too excited and start raising her voice.
 
“Yup,” he moved closer to her ear. “You see, I didn't want you to get into any trouble with Chris. With that anger problem of his, it could have caused a massive explosion if you know what I mean.” She nodded her head in response. She knew exactly what he meant; after all it had been her advice to Leon to watch his step with Claire when he's around Chris because of it.
 
There was nothing more to say about it and the two of them stood in silence as they stared at the girl. Barry patted her shoulder lightly a couple of times. “Don't think about it. We'll deal with it when the time comes.”
 
* * *
 
Nina was lost in her thoughts. It was a weird state that she had been going on and off since her parents died - since her brother began working for Umbrella. Part of her mind was thinking about something… but at the same time nothing. She was basically in a sort of trance. It was pretty much something that she didn't like explaining to people. Sometimes she would be lost for hours on end.
 
“We'll deal with it when the time comes.” That simple line had brought her back down to Earth. She turned just in time to see Barry walking away from Jill. It was as if nothing had happened though. Jill was simply loading the clips, not lifting her gaze from each bullet that she loaded. Three of the S.T.A.R.S members, their names were David, John, and Rebecca if she could remember right, were making phone calls. Barry went back to check the weapons one more time with a mercenary named Carlos. Nina didn't know much about guns, but she did know that what Barry had in his holster was in fact a Colt Python, the mother of all handguns; he was definitely a dangerous one to deal with, not to say that the rest of them weren't dangerous as well. A use-to-be rookie cop, Leon, and a college girl who was just a couple of years younger than her, Claire, were on the computer looking up any useless information they could salvage—Not like that will be any help of course.
 
And then there was Chris. A man whom she's heard so much about that she had developed a small crush on him when she was younger. She had seen pictures, old ones of course but pictures nonetheless; he was handsome back then, but even more so now. He also cared deeply about her brother and had a somewhat good rep, which made her even more attracted to him. A part of her was dyeing with guilt, but the rest of her knew what had to be done. She'd rather have met him under different circumstances… let's say, a walk in the park maybe, but it's not like there was anyway to rewind time or anything; she wouldn't even have been able to find him. What's done is done and what's been started must be finished. Life can be such a little bitch sometimes.
 
Nina stood up wanting to find some way to help them with their preparations. She looked around and ended up meeting Chris' gaze. He stood smiling at her as he got the equipment ready on the bed. Smiling back, she made her way to the edge of the bed and sat down.
 
“Is something the matter?” He asked still arranging the equipment, eyes still on her.
 
“Well, I just wanted to know if there was anything I can do.”
 
“Any good with medical stuff?”
 
Nina held a grin and nodded without a word.
 
“There are medical supplies in that cabinet over there. Just pack some aid sprays and whatever you think we'll need into each pack and put a lot in yours and Rebecca's backpack too. I'm keeping you and her in charge of the med supplies.”
 
A frown formed across her innocent features. “Are you sure that's a good idea?” She left his gaze, “The others… don't seem to trust me much.” He lifted her chin and smiled. He reached into one of his pockets and pulled out what looked like a silver stick. Flipping it open, revealing a sharp-looking blade, and flipping it back closed locking it tight; Chris lifted the side of her shirt and fitted the butterfly knife in the lining of her shorts, feeling the bareness of her hip. Her face flushed by her still gesture as well as his. It was as if his own movements were flirtatious gestures that he had thought twice about. Seeing a grown man flare up like that was, well… cute, especially considering that the same man was kicked out of the air force and an expert marksman who simply kicked ass.
 
“I trust you…”
 
Relief filled Nina, as the silence was finally broken.
 
“But I also respect their opinions. So I decided that I won't be giving you a gun, but in case of emergency, which I'm pretty sure there will be if it is in fact an Umbrella lab, I gave you that knife, but best keep quiet. I'm pretty sure they'll get worked up if they found out.” From his sudden low tone and from the expression held on his face, he was 100 percent serious as far as she could tell and didn't want to say anything that might make him think twice about what he just said; she needed the protection.
 
“I trust you as much as I trust everyone here—as much as I trust my sister. Don't break that trust,” he continued to stare straight into her eyes; watching her every movement and then looked away. “Please.”
 
Nina suddenly felt broken inside. Grabbing him by the waist and burst out crying, telling him everything, the lies and the truths, begging for his forgiveness was all she wanted to do; all she could do was nod. Knowing that if their conversation held on any longer, she would completely shatter, she walked away, putting her palm against the side that the knife was on and felt the coldness against her hip. A tear slowly dripped down her cheek and as Nina opened the medical cabinet she quickly wiped it away with her sleeve, making sure that it wasn't obvious. More wanted to come out, but she couldn't afford it. Life really was being a complete bitch at the moment.